• Devil May Cry
    • Half-Life
    • Harvest Moon
    • NASCAR Thunder 2002
    • Theme Park Roller Coaster
    • Timesplitters
    • Unreal Tournament

Guest RetroRob215

I'm going to be buying my 2nd PS2 game tomorrow.  The first was Jak & Daxter, which came with the system.  The problem is I can't really decide which of the above to get.  I didn't list any new games because I'm going to be buying it used from Funcoland, so I figured I wouldn't get a current game used...Anyway, any thoughts on these games and any others are also welcome. :)

Guest Scotsman

I didn't vote for any, because none of them are appealing to me.  The only game I'd even consider for PS2 is GTA3.  I'd go for MGS 2....but oddly enough despite owning that game since the day it was released I haven't played it for more than 2 hrs.  Maybe someone else with experience can help :-)

Guest muswp1

I you love fighting games and don't want a new one, get Tekken Tag Tournament.  It was one of the launch games with PS2 and I still play it all the time.

Guest RetroRob215

Scots- I plan on picking up both of those games, but I would rather get them new.  I'm really looking forward to GTA3.

Muswp- I'm not really into fighting games.  I remember playing one of the old Tekken games, but I consider it more of a rental.  I'm more into Shooters & RPGs.  

I have played Unreal Tournament on my PC and I highly recommend you download it if you never played it.  The demo has 7 or 8 boards and they are pretty cool.

Guest Repo Man jr

Theres a rule, never buy a game with "Army Men" in the title. Out of the games you said I'd go with DMC or Timesplitters(If it's cheap, because the new one's out soon). But GTA3 is the best game about 4 me.

Guest Below the Glass Ceiling

Man, you GOTTA go with GTA3.  If it's banned by the Aussies, then it can't be all that bad.

Devil May Cry is a good choice too.  And if you're into RPGs, Final Fantasy X is a MUST.  Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a good recommendation as well.

Guest BADBATZ

Well as far as looking for used games... If you like the Harvest Moon series then you can't go wrong with the ps2 version.  Theme Park Rollercoaster doesn't touch the Rollercoaster Tycoon or Jet Coaster Dream/Coaster Works games. The other stuff I either haven't played (Half-Life, Dark Cloud, Ace Combat 4) or have no appeal whatsoever to me (NASCAR, Army Men, Unreal Tournament).

As far as other games though, these may be of note. If you liked Front Mission 3, strategy rpg's, or giant robot games, Ring of Red and Armored Core 2 are both pretty fun, Zone of Enders is decent but not as good as the AC games. Okage is kind of a plain RPG in the execution but has a nice crazy story. Both Dynasty Warriors 2 and 3 are great as far as an update on the whole final fight formula. If you dig the old Lucasarts adventure comedies (Maniac Mansion/Sam and Max/Secret of Monkey Island), Escape from Monkey Island is worth getting.

That's all I can think of right now.

Guest Scotsman
Theres a rule, never buy a game with "Army Men" in the title.

What is it with these games?  There's about 200 of them out there so  I have to assume that someone is buying them, yet the majority of people hate them.  I just haven't dared to rent one yet.  What's the deal with em, and why do they suck so bad?

Guest teke184

Of the games I've played on the PS2, I'd recommend Metal Gear Solid 2, SSX: Tricky, and Twisted Metal Black.  

Ones I'm less hesitant to recommend are SSX (not as good as Tricky), Smackdown 3 (Story mode isn't as good as SD! 1 or 2), Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex (Glorified PS1 game), or Namco Museum (Only good if you're a nut for old arcade games like I am).

Guest upchuck

Don't ever worry about not getting a new game used.  One time when I went to Funcoland, this guy working there just told me that some of the people who go there just get a game, beat it, and take it there in about 2 weeks total.  Oh, and of all those get Devil May Cry because Timesplitters is the only other really good one, but Timesplittlers 2 should be coming out soon.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Timesplitters 2 looks good...and I hear it will blow the original away.

But Timesplitters is fun for two players...with all the little games like capture the bag and stuff.

You can find them new for like 20 bucks around here.

Guest Blackston

The only two games that I have played on your list are Ace Combat 4 and Devil May Cry.  I wholeheartedly recommend DMC, as it is one of the funnest games on the PS2.  The story blows BUTT, but the gameplay takes all of the good things from the Resident Evil series, and makes it about 100x more fluid.  Ace Combat 4, on the other hand, has got a bit of a learning curve.  My roommate got it for Christmas, and I just haven't been able to get into it.  Although, he plays it fairly regularly, and from watching him, the game looks to be pretty fun.  Dogfighting games just are not my bag.

Guest J*ingus

Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Max Payne, and Twisted Metal Black all have my recommendation.

Guest RetroRob215

It figures, the day I go to buy the game is the same day the message board was taken down, so I had to go on my own instincts.  I ended up getting Unreal Tournament brand-new for $20.  I think it is pretty good thus far, but the controls definetly could use some tweaking.  

As far as Army Men go, I have only played the first one on N64, and I have Sarge's Heros 2 on PS.  They aren't horrible, but they get repetitive.  The reason I put Air Attack 2 on the list is because it seems to be pretty good.  The missions make more sense, the boards look cooler, and you can fly a helicopter.

I will definetly be buying most of the dames you guys mentioned, so thanks for your help.  I really wanted to get Harvest Moon, but it was going for $50 USED!

Guest TUS_02

I'll be lame and just agree with GTA3, Devil May Cry and second SSX: Tricky... I can't stop playing that game.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

If you decide on Unreal Tourney, you could probably get the game for less than $20 if you look around a bit. The girlfriend bought DMC right when it came out on a Friday night, and Sunday night she beat it. Don't ask how many hours she played it...

Guest fazzle

Out of those, get Dark Cloud.

Whatever you do, don't buy Devil May Cry.  Not saying it's a bad game, it's just really short, and is better suited for a rental.

Guest PsiWolverine

I really have to agree with Scotman about MGS2.  I rushed to the stores and bought it when it came out, but I've only played for a couple of hours since I bought it.  It was more exciting when I got the demo.  (I'm sure that the release of GTA3 had nothing to do with it...)  But everybody needs to get themselves a little Grand Theft.

Guest KingOfMen

MGS2 starts a little slow, but it picks up as you go.  It is short and easy though.  GTA3 is the best game for PS2.  I can't wait for State of Emergency.