TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NES Classic Series?

At Wal-Mart recently, I saw Donkey Kong and SMB 1 for GBA. They were titled "NES Classic Series" or something to that effect.

Does anyone know how many more of these will be released?

EDIT: Why the fuck did I post this in here.

Personally, I think Donkey Kong/Mario- 08/12/84 is the best of their series, but some would disagree.

Discuss.

Personally, I think Donkey Kong/Mario- 08/12/84 is the best of their series, but some would disagree.

Discuss.

I wouldn't say so. Donkey Kong/Mario - 08/12/84 was nothing more than an old school brawling hardcore match that was all because Donkey Kong stealing away Mario's girl. Pretty sad since it was a last minute rush job by Nintendo to make something so that the fans could have a good showing.

It wasn't really that great of a match, as Donkey Kong repeatedly just used these wooden barrels he brought to ring, while Mario just either did some sort of jumping kick move or used a big hammer that amazingly he could just plow through the ring with. The crowd ate it up, but not me. It was quite dull and boring repeatedly doing that over and over again. It was spot after spot with no psychology inbetween.

Overall I give it a * as Mario busting up the wooden barrels of DOOM and of course winning the girl.

I think the match with DK Jr. vs. Mario was better than this slop.

Discuss.

I wouldn't say so. Donkey Kong/Mario - 08/12/84 was nothing more than an old school brawling hardcore match that was all because Donkey Kong stealing away Mario's girl. Pretty sad since it was a last minute rush job by Nintendo to make something so that the fans could have a good showing.

It wasn't really that great of a match, as Donkey Kong repeatedly just used these wooden barrels he brought to ring, while Mario just either did some sort of jumping kick move or used a big hammer that amazingly he could just plow through the ring with. The crowd ate it up, but not me. It was quite dull and boring repeatedly doing that over and over again. It was spot after spot with no psychology inbetween.

Overall I give it a * as Mario busting up the wooden barrels of DOOM and of course winning the girl.

I think the match with DK Jr. vs. Mario was better than this slop.

This is the point where I come back with a angry, twelve paragraph rant on why it's better because of the selling and storytelling involved that everyone just skims through due to a lack of interest.

For now, I will just make a mean-spirited smiley face.

:angry: Good day, sir.

Mario vs DK in the 3rd match of the classic series took these two superstars to another level. DK demanded a plunder on a pole match which Mario agreed upon but little did DK know was that Mario had a secret weapon...............ARROGENCE, his personal perfume.

I'm still kinda upset with Mario holding down Bowser's inevitable big push.

I mean come on, Bowser has all the tools to be a great main event player, and he's been made to look like a joke.

But I will give Mario credit for finally helping his brother's career out. I heard Luigi was thinking of retirement.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I'm still kinda upset with Mario holding down Bowser's inevitable big push.

I mean come on, Bowser has all the tools to be a great main event player, and he's been made to look like a joke.

But I will give Mario credit for finally helping his brother's career out. I heard Luigi was thinking of retirement.

Bowser is just another big man, Mario is a proven draw, and can work many styles as well. I mean, his match against Smithy the Sword (fought under RPG rules) was a wake up call to those who accused him of being too one dimensional in the "platform" style.

Bowser's never gotten a chance to prove himself though.

I mean, look how well Wario did when he got his push. He's rolled with it well.

That's the spot that Bowser should have had.

Actually, even when Bowser was made to look like an absolute joke in Super Mario RPG (to the point I'd consider calling akin to Jericho's run with the World Championship) he won me over with making the most of the opportunity given to him. I mean, he was an absolutely fabulous joke, as he knew that's all he'd be so why not make the most of it?

Not only that, but he's sort of Eddie-ish in his RPG style matches. I mean, he's evil, he's bad, he cheats, but all in a kind of loveable way that makes you wish he'd get his own stardom instead of playing the continual heel to Mario.

I'd also like to say I never liked Wario. He's just got the push that Bowser should've gotten.

Not only that, but he's sort of Eddie-ish in his RPG style matches.

So does that make his Koopa Clown Cart a version of a Low Rider?

Or for that matter, his kart from Mario Kart: Double Dash?

Guest CronoT
Bowser's never gotten a chance to prove himself though.

I mean, look how well Wario did when he got his push. He's rolled with it well.

That's the spot that Bowser should have had.

Maybe, but remember, according to HHH and Randy Orton, Bowser wasn't "the right species" to be a main event character. In fact, according to them, all he should be doing is shining Mario's shoes and carrying his luggage.

(Booker T/Shelton Benjamin reference, which should be obvious, unless you've been hiding under a rock for the past 20 months.)

So...what was their opinion on Luigi then?

Luigi is basically the Benoit of Nintendo. (Boy, am I reaching there)

Not that great on the mic, always there when you need him, had to deal with bad workers (Boo and Bowser's Kids) and put them over as threats, and actually is a pretty damn fine worker.

Except, by being Mario's brother, that's all he'll ever be is that. He's not even a star, he's just a second rate guy. The only time Luigi ever looked like the true worker he is, it was in the Mario Bros. Cartoon. How sad is that?

Luigi and Bowser are two of the best workers in Nintendo, and yet both of them are treated like absolute crap.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Guest CronoT
Crono: So...what was their opinion on Luigi then?

Mario and Luigi used to be one of the best tag teams around, but then, Mario started getting a swelled head, because he thought he was doing all the work, and Luigi was getting all the coins.

Mario eventually got so jealous, he tossed Luigi through a plate-glass grate covering a pipe, and never looked back. A lot of people got upset that Mario ditched his brother to further his own career. But eventually, they saw that Mario really had been carrying Luigi, when Luigi was given a few singles pushes, and botched them horribly.

Luigi went down the to PVC pipe leagues for a while, and eventually worked his way to a single, mildly successful push. After that, he decided to take some time off, and do some indy work on the side with Mario, whom he had forgiven for the plate-glass grate incident.

I guess Luigi simply decided he wasn't main character material, and decided to sinply accept the roles he got.

I guess Luigi simply decided he wasn't main character material, and decided to sinply accept the roles he got.

I totally disagree with this. I think Luigi has done well for what he's been given which isn't much. Everyone books him as a twit because that's all they've known him as. I'm quite sure that if someone booked him like a true star, we could see a Luigi that would have a better popularity than Mario could ever hope for.

Luigi is basically the Benoit of Nintendo.

Not that great on the mic, always there when you need him, had to deal with bad workers (Boo and Bowser's Kids) and put them over as threats, and actually is a pretty damn fine worker.

Yeah right. Look at what happened when they did finally try to let Luigi carry the ball. Luigi's Mansion completely sunk the Gamecube brand altogether, and allowed the Sony and Microsoft feds to take control of the industry. Whereas Mario's reigns have seen some of the greatest heights in all of Nintendo history, Luigi is completely out of place doing anything except watching his brother's back.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Luigi is the Jim Niedhart to Mario's Bret Hart....except he's skinny.

Whereas Mario's reigns have seen some of the greatest heights in all of Nintendo history

Even though the match know as Mario 64 was inventive and had some pretty interesting stuff, but it wasn't a success as Sony took the lead in the world.

The match called "Super Mario Sunshine" was the same Mario stuff. Nothing inventive or new. It was just the same stuff and didn't really do much.

Guest CronoT
Also, when will we get the match currently 13 years in the making...

MARIO VS. SONIC!

Come on...it shouldn't be TOO hard to do now.

Where have you been, Chris? Mario and Sonic had a series of matches in an indy fed 3 years ago.

Here's a link to the match. It was really back and forth the whole way. Mario of course won in the cities with "the families." Sonic won in the cities with all the skaters and cruisers.

http://www.videogamedc.com/Pixeled_Parodie..._vs__sonic.html