TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

"Essential" Albums...

Most essential albums are pretty much universally loved, but I'm sure that you have a heard a few that you just don't like, while everyone else seems to praise the shit out of it. Basically, I guess the point of this thread is to point out those albums, and correct the other people who put down something that you loved :D

For me, one album that I've tried to get into after hearing about how amazing it is would be Joy Division - Closer. Man, I don't get this album at all, I can't listen to it, it just strikes me as boring. I don't get all that real pain or whatever that's going on, and the music is just...bleh. I tried to like it, but no, it just wasn't happening.

So post something that you feel is undeserving of the credit that it gets, or why Joy Division/other band posted deserves whatever praise it gets.

Often mentioned in the same company as classic punk albums like The Clash's London Calling and the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bullocks, the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady, for better or worse—usually the latter—gave birth to "punk-pop." Canonized, yes, but I find the album to be a gratingly twee affair, filled with stupidly cheery riffs and Pete Shelley's barely tolerable whine. Modern day Buzzcocks knock offs The Thermals are, amazingly, better.

That said, this band did manage a great song; "Ever Fallen in Love?" is less pop and more punk. Shelley tones down his vocals, too, not sounding like the twit he usually does.

People to whom the Eagles are essential very likely have opinions worth disregarding.

Oh, and I don't think the point of this thread was to dismiss a band's entire output.

I didn't think I had to put in an disclaimer or such, but yeah, the band/artist/whatever should be held in high regard by people who have opinions that are actually respected. Don't bring up Coldplay, Metallica, Kiss or something like that where no one in their right mind would actually give an album by any of these three *****.

Okay, I know this is not specific or anything and I haven't really heard them praised elsewhere, but I know on this board I've heard plenty of good things about them (lead singer is in some guy's sig), but I can't stand any of the Faith No More that I've heard. I also don't get the big deal about Mike Patton. He can't rap, and his voice is amazingly nasal and annoying. I hate them, and I hate him too.

I know that's technically not what I was talking about, but I just had to bring it up due to the sheer praise this guy gets.

I don't understand Exile On Main Street's massive love. In my opinion it marks the end of their run as a great band. Sticky Fingers was very mixed, and would probably get the same reaction from me were it not for Wild Horses. But with Exile I see one of the best bands of the 60s beginning their decline into what would be a terrible decade for them in the 70s (barring half a dozen songs). I love 60s Stones, but Exile On Main Street gets a huge amount of praise as their peaking moment whereas I see it as evidence of the fact that they were about to become a parody of their former selves.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Wall is the dropoff point for Pink Floyd, in my opinion. They were so much better prior to its release, and sadly, this is what they're most recognized for. Dark Side of The Moon is SO much better, and I'm glad that it's at least equally beloved.

I'm iffy on Wish you were Here, but it's not as recognized as the other two.

Dark Side of The Moon is SO much better, and I'm glad that it's at least equally beloved.

Is that the album that can be played over 'The Wizard Of Oz'?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yep. Hit play the third time the MGM lion roars for the beginning of the movie.

Yep. Hit play the third time the MGM lion roars for the beginning of the movie.

...What's this? I own the movie and the album but... is the album even as long as the movie? And in what ways does it fit over it?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Keep the cd on repeat. Just do it, you'll see how it works. It's pretty cute, really.

Okay, I know this is not specific or anything and I haven't really heard them praised elsewhere, but I know on this board I've heard plenty of good things about them (lead singer is in some guy's sig), but I can't stand any of the Faith No More that I've heard. I also don't get the big deal about Mike Patton. He can't rap, and his voice is amazingly nasal and annoying. I hate them, and I hate him too.

Paragon, have you heard much Faith No More besides "Epic" and other songs off of The Real Thing? Patton got away from the rapping after that album, and topped with nasal vocals. From Angel Dust on, his vocals improved greatly. His singing, his pitch, his AMAZING growls, grunts, screams and other tricks were like nothing I'd ever heard. It's like I say Agent say once, "He has perfect control of his voice at all times."

Post- [/i]The Real Thing[/i]. there are few vocalists I hold in higher regard than Patton.

I have to agree with redbaron about Led Zeppelin IV. Aside from a couple of tracks, there really isn't anything incredible about that album. [/i]Led Zeppelin III[/i] is where it's at, if you ask me. Now there's and under-appreciated album.

I have London Calling, but, incredibly, I've not listened to it all the way through.

I've never really got any of the two acclaimed Radiohead albums, The Bends and Ok Computer. Those two just kinda went over my head.

Maybe I'll get round to getting it some day.

Paragon, have you heard much Faith No More besides "Epic" and other songs off of The Real Thing? Patton got away from the rapping after that album, and topped with nasal vocals. From Angel Dust on, his vocals improved greatly. His singing, his pitch, his AMAZING growls, grunts, screams and other tricks were like nothing I'd ever heard. It's like I say Agent say once, "He has perfect control of his voice at all times."

Post- [/i]The Real Thing[/i]. there are few vocalists I hold in higher regard than Patton.

I have to agree with redbaron about Led Zeppelin IV. Aside from a couple of tracks, there really isn't anything incredible about that album. [/i]Led Zeppelin III[/i] is where it's at, if you ask me. Now there's and under-appreciated album.

Angel Dust is one of the best albums I own...just to back you up...Epic was ok, but Angel Dust to me was their breakthrough, then it all fell apart with Jim Martin leaving and Mike Patton getting increasingly weirder...King For A Day blew, Album of The Year was so-so...

Paragon, I've yet to meet more than a handful of people that wouldn't give Master Of Puppets ****-*****. I think Agent may be one of the only ones. Even people I know that don't listen to any hard music love it.

Paragon, I've yet to meet more than a handful of people that wouldn't give Master Of Puppets ****-*****. I think Agent may be one of the only ones. Even people I know that don't listen to any hard music love it.

Eh, maybe it's all about different social circles. I can't stand it though, even during my "Metal" days I didn't really like it. I was more or less into Slayer, In Flames, Iron Maiden, etc. etc. They don't really have much to do with each other, but I loved them all regardless.

i concur. not a huge metallica fan, not a metal fan at all, but i love me some 'master of puppets'.

i don't see what the big deal is about 'never mind the bullocks, here's the sex pistols'. nothing special about the lyrics, and the tunes are about as poppy & simple as it gets. and almost every song on the album sounds the same.

Because it was the only studio album from the most notorious punk band of all-time. Punk was becoming more and more popular, but The Sex Pistols just completely inspired a lot of teenage kids to cut their hair awkwardly, dye it, and then pick up a guitar and learn a few chords.

Plus...how can you not love "Pretty Vacant"?

i concur. not a huge metallica fan, not a metal fan at all, but i love me some 'master of puppets'.

i don't see what the big deal is about 'never mind the bullocks, here's the sex pistols'. nothing special about the lyrics, and the tunes are about as poppy & simple as it gets. and almost every song on the album sounds the same.

Agreed, more or less.

I enjoy the album, sure, but the Clash are literally about eighteen times better than the Sex Pistols. Seriously.

Because it was the only studio album from the most notorious punk band of all-time. Punk was becoming more and more popular, but The Sex Pistols just completely inspired a lot of teenage kids to cut their hair awkwardly, dye it, and then pick up a guitar and learn a few chords.

Plus...how can you not love "Pretty Vacant"?

by realizing it sounds exactly like every other song on the album.

Actually, "Pretty Vacant" is one of the only songs on the album that stands out. Sure, simple chord progression with decent drumming and uber-easy basslines...but it's punk, what do you expect? Steve Vai solo's?

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Paragon, I've yet to meet more than a handful of people that wouldn't give Master Of Puppets ****-*****. I think Agent may be one of the only ones

DUD

anything by the Beastie Boys...don't get me wrong, I like some of their tunes, i have a couple CDs, but I don't understand why they get huge love? is it because they're the first big-time white rappers or does their music really hype people up that much? it seems like whenever they come out with a new CD, the music world drops to it's knees and starts sucking them off...