TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Whats your favourite sports memory of all time?

I actually had to think hard about this, thats why I didnt really post what mine was to start, but one does come to mind, it was during june 96, the year that the Euro Championships had come to England, and we had made the semis, against the team everyone hates, Germany, and the whole country was seriously pumped up for the game, I cant remember an atmosphere like it, anyway, the game kicks off and we are playing well, and suddenly we get a corner after 2 minutes, sheares up and bam we score, 1-0 up against the Germans and life was perfect, of course the fucking Germans had to equalise, and then we lost on penalties thanks to Southgate fucking up, but those 3 minutes were just absoulutly perfect, it just sums up the fantastic summer of 96.

Even though we lost on penalties both times at the semi-final stage the 1990 World Cup and Euro 96 both hold endless great memories. I remember the moment Shearer scored and I really thought we were going to do it, it just seemed meant to be with that special atmosphere which had gripped the whole nation. Every time I see a replay of Gascoigne just missing that cross in extra-time I swear he's going to put it in, one of the best games i've ever seen. The 1990 match was possibly even better, there was enormous respect between the teams and you just couldn't seperate them at all. That whole tournament is my favourie sporting event of all time, so many memories, Cannigia getting poleaxed by Cameroonian defenders in the opening upset, the volatile Germany-Holland game, Baggio's goal, Milla tackling Higuita, Platt's last minute volley against Belgium, Maradona crying at the end of the final, Gazza's tears etc etc. It also spawned one of the best ever books to be written on a sporting event in All Played Out.

As for domestic sport it has to be Steve Claridge's winner against Palace in the 96 play-off final, must be one of the most dramatic goals ever scored at Wembley (I know i'm biased). A perfect moment. Steve Walsh's winner against Derby in 94 and the League Cup win in 97 (car horns didn't stop all night) would be second. I'm not the biggest Rugby fan but it was hard not to be proud of Leicester Tigers winning back to back European Cups a couple of years back right up there with England beating Australia in the World Cup Final last winter, to beat them in their own back yard with close to 100,000 England supporters (No country in the world has better fans than us) either in the stadium or watching elsewhere in Sydney was incredible.

1) 1999 Eastern Conference First Round - Game 5: New York Knicks vs. Miami Heat. With like 4.7 seconds left, Allan Houston takes the pass from Charlie Ward and drives to the hoop, wins the game, and then swings his fist with Spree and co. hugging him

2) 1999 Eastern Conference Finals: Indiana Pacers vs. New York Knicks. Don't remember what game exactly, I believe its game 3, not too sure. Larry Johnson had been on fire all night long, and the Knicks were down three with like 14 seconds left. He just kept holding the ball as time went buy, then just hoisted a shot over Antonio Davis, gets fouled, and SWISH! The crowd goes apeshit, LJ nails the Free Throw and the Knicks win the game and the series.

3) 2001 World Series: Paul O'Neill gets his name chanted by the crowd in Yankee Stadium. That was beautiful.

4) 2001 World Series: Tino and Scott hit homers off of Byung-Hung Kim in the 9th to tie the game. That was also incredible.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I see someone else is a Knicks fan. I loved that game 5 shot vs. Miami. It was probably the worst shot I've ever seen, and it goes in.

Baseball

1993- The Braves beat the Rockies and then I watch the LA Dodgers rape Salomon Torres and the Giants and the Braves win the Division Title.

1995- Greatest moment in sports ever. Baerga flies out to Grissom and the Braves win the World Series.

1999- Chipper Jones cements his MVP status as the Braves play the Mets 6 times in a close span and win all 6 games.

1999- Kenny Rogers walks in the winning run.

2001- The first Mets home game after 9/11 was pretty special. Even though I'm a Braves fan, seeing them rally back to beat them on Piazza's HR was great.

2001- The Braves prove everyone wrong and just destroy the Astros in a three game sweep.

2001- Gonzalez. Rivera. Bases loaded. Bottom of the 9th. I've never screamed so loud.

2002- The Angels beating the Yanks made me so happy- I threw out my back.

Football

1998- Broncos v. Packers. That whole game was awesome.

2001- Saints win their first playoff game and shock the world by beating the Rams.

2001- The Giants destroy the Vikings 41-0 and go to the Super Bowl.

Basketball

1992- Even though they lost the series- the Knicks winning Game 1 against Chicago was cool.

1993- Starks' dunk. The only time I never wished ill-will on that man. Other then that he can rot in hell like the worthless piece of shit he is.

1994- The Knicks run to the finals was pretty magical- I thought for sure they'd win. Knicks v. Pacers was so much fun to watch.

1999- The finger roll of doom.

Pacers fans can whine all they want but that 4 point play is my favourite moment in basketball history. I kicked my dad out since I thought he was bad luck and watched the game nervously. When LJ hit that three I EXPLODED and jumped off my bed and ran around the house screaming just going batshit. What a game. Any way to get a clip of that?

2002- The Nets beating the Pacers in that epic double OT game and winning their first playoff series was very cool.

Hockey

1995, 2000- The Devils winning the Cups was pretty cool.

Everytime the Leafs beat the Sens is pretty sweet.

The Canucks winning the division title was pretty cool.

Going to both overtime wins the Leafs had in last years playoffs was awesome.

"Hayes waits the Yankees are champions of baseball!!!"-Joe Buck calling my favorite sports moments of all time. Other favorite moments of mine are the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup in 1994 (I still get teary to this day watching it), Matteau Matteau Matteau and Graves knocking out the Devils with the OT winner in the 5 game of the second round of the playoffs in 1997, the Yankees 3-Peat from 1998-2000, the 1999 Knicks run especially Houston's running jumper in Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs against the Heat and Larry Johnson's 4 point play in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals, the Derek Jeter flip play in Game of the 2001 ALDS against the Athetics, Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series with Tino and Brosius hitting the home runs and Jeter hitting the game winning home run in Game 4 plus the Paul O'Neil chants in Game 5 I basically started to cry when that happened wow that was unreal, Aaron Boone's Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS 11th inning walk off pennant winning home run and Roger Clemen's 4,000th strike out and 300th win because I was there oh and Tino coming back to the stadium for the first time that was incredible because he was the next batter after Clemens got his 4,000th strike out and the crowd was just going apeshit and the New York Giants winning Superbowl XXI even though I wasn't born for this one the whole mystique of this team is awesome and XXV I was like 3 when they won this one and still can remember when they won Superbowl XXV, the Giants winning the division in 1997, beating the Broncos when the Broncos where undefeated at the time in 1998, beating the Vikings in the 2000 NFC Championship Game 41-0 and beating the Eagles 10-7 in OT to make the playoffs in 2002 and how could I forget the 2004 Masters when Phil finally won it was for like every person who ever had a dream that people doubted would ever happen and that person always believed he could do it and he finally did. Phil jumping at the end and everything oh man that was just incredible.

Thanks.

-The Red Wings winnings Cups in 1997, 2002, and most of all 1998. Vladimir Konstantinov with the Stanley Cup in his lap and all of the Wings surrounding him was one of the most beautiful moments in the history of sports.

-The 2004 Masters. "Is it his time?...Yes!" was one of the great calls I've ever heard.

Oh, and my favourite NFL moment was John Elway winning the Superbowl two years in a row, against the Atlanta Falcons as it was the first ever NFL game I ever saw, and I really enjoyed it

Guest Mosaicv2
Mark%20Messier%20Stanley%20Cup.jpg

damn does Mark Messier look like CHRISTIAN!

oh & the topic

Larry Bird's steal in game 5 of the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals

Kirk Gibson's pinch hit walk off homer in game 1 of the 1988 World Series (this scene always gives me goosebumps)

Milwaukee Brewers winning the 1982 pennant

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

How DARE you make fun of Messier. The gloves are off now. (makes a snowball from the frost in my freezer)

Guest Mosaicv2

How DARE you make fun of Messier. The gloves are off now. (makes a snowball from the frost in my freezer)

how dare YOU say that im makin fun of him, why dont you take a chill pill, man.

Darren McCarty's highlight Cup clinching goal in 97 and ,subsequently, Steve Yzerman hoisting the Cup for the first time in his career. After being a fan of the Wings since the late 70's, I was teary eyed when he lifted it.

And again in 98 when they were able to present the Cup to Vladimir Konstantinov.

Guest Crazy Dan

I love hearing Al Michaels scream "Do you believe in miracles? Yes!!!" as the USA upsets the USSR in the semifinals of the Medal Rounds. No one gave the US any chance in hell against one of the most dominant teams ever assembled for Hockey. I was too young for this to see it live, but watching replays, and the movie Miracle, this moment always gives me chills.

As for some other great moments:

Joe Montana completes one of the greatest drives in SB History, as he hits John Taylor in the end zone and the Niners hang on to beat the Bengals in the 89 Super Bowl.

Laetner's last second shot against Kentucky, to cap one of the greatest college games I have ever seen.

Michael Jordon's sick game against Utah in the 97 Finals. This happened on my birthday, and it was one of the most gutsy performances I have ever seen.

As for one of my all time favorite moments, this actually happend my Senior year in HS. I went to school in a area that also include De La Salle (one of the most dominating HS football programs in the US). And De La Salle also is usually good in every sport they participate in. This program has one multiple sectional titles/state titles. This is a HS that gets some of the best athletes in the area, so they usually will sport strong teams in every sport. Well my Sr year, we have a real good boys Volleyball team, which throughout the season wins a whole bunch of tourneys down south (usually the best volleyball teams in Cali are from So-Cal). So this team was very legit. We blow through our league, league playoffs, and the NCS (the section my HS is in) playoffs. And our final oppanent is the dreaded De La Salle, which was either the #1 seed, or we were, I forgot. I think they might have beaten us earlier in the year, so they are the favorite going into the finals. And this is type of school where you are suprised if they don't win, so many of us had a little doubt. I get off work, and go to the finals. Once I got there, the match had started, and my school was winning the first set. They go on to win that one. They lose the 2nd, and win the third. The fourth sees my team take a big lead, only to lose it, and the set.

So we head to the 5th, as De La Salle looks to take the momentum, and win another title. And maybe any other year, they would win, but not this time. My team regains their composure, and this time they don't blow the lead. And the best part is once they match was over, all of the fans jumped onto the floor, cheering very loudly. I didn't go to many sporting events in my HS years, so I missed most of the celebrations of championships that my HS actually did win. So this was a time I got to see my team win it all, and I got to join in celebration. I had sandals on and those came flying off my feat, and I could have cared less. I was so happy. And the last thing I remember is seeing this one girl crying tears of joy. So that is one of my all time favorite sports memory, made even more sweeter in the fact we beat De La Salle. (I remember hearing one parent say "I don't care if we beat them in Tiddly Winks, as long as we beat them, I'm happy")

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

how dare YOU say that im makin fun of him, why dont you take a chill pill, man.

How dare you think I was being serious.....grr....

2) Florida's final chance against Tennesee, down 34-32 with less than a minute in the game, and a 4th down pass falls incomplete, thus giving the 14-point underdog Tennessee a victory and a #2 BCS spot, but most importantly, the Vols beat Spurrier at the fuckin' Swamp in Spurrier's last home game at Florida. I was on a natural high all week after that. Probably the best college game I've ever watched.

My God, I can't believe I forgot that.

The Closing/Opening of the Forum and Molson Centre

Indeed.

That, and Team Canada's double gold (men & women) at the 2002 Winter Olympics. That crazy loonie.

Basketball

Kent St. beats Pitt in overtime to make it to the Elite Eight in 2002.

Jordans clinching shot against the Jazz in 1998

Hockey

Rochester Americans win the 1996 Calder Cup.

Football

Bills comeback against the Oilers in 1993 playoffs.

Kent State scores 17 points in the final 3:00 to defeat arch rival Akron on a last second field goal in 2003.

McNabb throws the game wining touchdown pass as time expires against Va. Tech in 1998.

The Minnesota Twins defeating the Atlanta Braves in the 1991 World Series. I think my favorite moment had to be when Kirby Puckett hit the home run in to make a game seven. Jack Buck had the call when he hit the home run. It is a deep drive to left center field and we will see you tomorrow night!!

the crowd was going nuts and then the greatest game seven in world series history as Jack Morris pitches 10 shutout innings to win 1-0 on Gene Larkins bases loaded single.

Amazingly I remember that and I was only 11 years old at the time.

Liverpool beating Alavez in the 2001 Uefa Cup Final. I was there. Good times. Probably the best football match I have ever seen at 5-4.

Guest Anglesault

From a pure Yankee fan standpoint,

Mattingly's homer in the ALDS

The Girardi Triple. Right Bob?

Charlie Hayes catching the foul pop.

Scott Brosius hitting the homer off Kim in game five. (Funny side note, I was watching that game totally blasted with a group of guys, and none of us were able to pronounce Kim's name. We settled on "Byuck-Yuck-Suck" a name we still call him when we want a good laugh.

From anti-Red Sox standpoint

Gets Through Buckner

Boggs celebrating a World Series Title-On Horseback.

Clemens celebrating a World Series Title-On the Yankees dugout.

Being at the Millenium Stadium to watch Wales beat Italy 2-1 in the Euro 2004 qualifiers. Yes, they beat us 4-0 in Rome and yes, we failed to qualify for the tournament, but to be there, in such a fantastic stadium to see Craig Bellamy round Buffon to get the winner was sensational.

Close second- 1991 FA Cup Final, Tottenham 2 Forest 1. Thank you Des Walker

2) Florida's final chance against Tennesee, down 34-32 with less than a minute in the game, and a 4th down pass falls incomplete, thus giving the 14-point underdog Tennessee a victory and a #2 BCS spot, but most importantly, the Vols beat Spurrier at the fuckin' Swamp in Spurrier's last home game at Florida. I was on a natural high all week after that. Probably the best college game I've ever watched.

My God, I can't believe I forgot that.

Yeah dude, we're supposed to be the Tennessee Twins, yo. What up wit dat? That 2001 Florida game was the SHIT!

I didn't list the National Championship win because I knew we'd win. I knew that if Fulmer could finally get us to the title game, we'd rock whoever we played.

I'd like to add watching the final Florida overtime kick sail wide, thus sealing up Tennessee's first victory over Florida in what felt like forever, in that same 1998 season. Anytime you set a Neyland attendance record and the uprights end up in the Tennessee River is a good moment in Big Orange country.

The Mets winning the world series.

John Stockton's 3ptr to take the Jazz to the Finals and put away the Rockets.

Derek Fisher's 0.4 second shot to win over Ginobli.

The Sixers and Knicks respective Finals runs in 01 and 99.

Mine is the 90 Oilers winning the Stanley Cup.

Why? Because soon after words I got to meet my hero (Craig Simpson) and also see Lord Stanley in person.

I even still have the pics. Wonderful memories... :)

Alfonso scoring in the last minute for Spain to win the game 4-3 against Yugoslavia at Euro 2000. It was one massive release of emotion.

Damon Hill finally winning the Formula 1 World Championship in 1996.

Alan Shearer scoring a hat-trick in the last 12 minutes of the match for Newcastle against Leicester City to win the match 4-3.

David Beckham's last minute free-kick against Greece to take England to the World Cup.

Nick Faldo turning round the 9 nine shot lead of Greg Norman on the final day of the US Masters at Augusta to win his third Green jacket.

2002... Browns' final game of the year, and it is a must-win against Michael Vick and the Falcons... I was sitting seven rows behind the Falcons' bench on the 50, and on three or four occasions, we talked with Ray Buchanan DURING THE GAME... The guy was so cool that at one point, I toasted him with my beer, yelling "You're my guy, Ray!" and he grabbed a cup of Gatorade and toasted back. Anyway, back to the game... Browns HAD to have the win to get to the playoffs for the first time since '94. They're down in the fourth quarter when William Green busts a 60-yard run, sending Cleveland Stadium into total pandemonium. I ran up and down the aisle, high-fiving everybody in site. I think I hugged the usher just for good measure. Probably one of the five drunkest days of my life, but GOD that ruled.

Ohio State winning the national championship is a close No. 2. Just a classic game with a dramatic finish. Once it ended, we were all stunned with joy because having grown up in Cleveland, my teams have never won the big one... Sure the Indians won a couple pennants, but they lost the World Series both times. Browns and Cavs? Nope. Here, 14-point underdog Ohio State just won the national title. Awesome.

Alan Shearer scoring a hat-trick in the last 12 minutes of the match for Newcastle against Leicester City to win the match 4-3.

:angry: The winner was offside!! We still won one more trophy than the geordies that season anyway.

Nick Faldo turning round the 9 nine shot lead of Greg Norman on the final day of the US Masters at Augusta to win his third Green jacket.

That was pretty sweet.

OMG how could I forget all my favorite college sports moments. Well for Notre Dame football beating the Florida St. in 1993 was just incredible, gonig to my first ever ND game in 1998 against Army and going to my second ND game in 2000 against Boston College, beating Tennessee at Neyland Stadium in 1990 was pretty sweet basically the entire 1990 season was sweet until that bullshit call in the Orange Bowl, the Snow Bowl against Penn State in 1992, the Cherios Bowl against Florida in the 1992 Sugar Bowl, beating Michigan in 1998 and I remember it was the day before my birthday, the run to the BCS in 2000 and the first 8 games in the 2002 season where incredible. As far as St. John's basketball goes anytime we beat UConn is great especially so in the 2000 Big East Championship Game, St. John's making it to the Elite 8 in 1999, beating Duke at Cameron in 2000 was incredible and beating Duke on the last second free throw by Marcus Hattan in 2003 was awesome and winning the 2003 NIT was actually pretty awesome.

Thanks.

The Rangers winning the cup was alsom my first time to experiencea NY time win. I totally jumped on the bandwagon during the season, but hey I was a kid then. The msg crowds eruption at the final horn is something I cant forget.

Yanks 96 ws nuff said.

2000 subway world series(the whole thing, but I remember how I was pacing while chuck knoblauch came to bat in the ninth, since oneils long rgab had got my heart racing. he ties the game with a sac fly, yanks win on jose vizcainos base hit in the 12th, then the last game, Piazza hits a long fly ball to end the series, man my heart fell as he hit that, but I literally jumped 5 feet in the air when bernie caught it.

Jeter's play in oakland 01 alds. I was at the ny ny hotel in las vegas at a chinese restarurant watching the game on a tv , I couldn't beleive what I just saw

Yanks winning that alds I jumped in the air literally and almost tripped on the steps.

Tinos homer ties game 4 of the 01 ws. Holy crap what a moment. I was ready to hit the showers (literally I was in my underwear) and he hits it. My dad was so upset he had changed the channel downstairs so I run down the stairs and tell him and his reaction was the best. Game 5 brosius. I actually went upstairs cuz I coudnt take the pressure. MOM AND DAD ARE SCREAMINg HOLY CRAP again

2003 alcs game 7 nuff said

to hell with all the NY haters