10. You Wouldn't Believe

11. Transistor

12. Don't Stay Home

13. Homebrew***

14. Beyond the Gray Sky

15. Love Song**

16. How Do You Feel?*

17. First Straw*

* "How Do You Feel?" and "First Straw" are new songs.

** 311's cover of The Cure's "Love Song," which holds (or held) the position for number one modern rock song, appeared originally on the "50 First Dates" soundtrack.

*** "Homebrew" was remastered using the original album masters for a higher quality sound. However, all songs have been tweaked, making them sound better.

Besides "Down," "All Mixed Up" and, I suppose, "Love Song," most of their stuff has been on the mid-level of exposure. So unless you were specifically seeking it out, most people probably wouldn't know a lot of their singles/videos. They aren't as high-profile as, say, Linkin Park, so their stuff doesn't get as much rotation. But from time to time, you may have heard some of 311's promoted singles on the radio, or in the background to a movie or TV show. For those that do recognize most tracks, this would probably be a good buy.

"Creatures" was all over the radio last year, and I believe it peaked close to #1 on the charts.

I love 311, but since I've already got most of their CDs, I see no need to buy the new album for all of two tracks. They sound good, though, so I'll probably cop them off of my free music downloads from my Slurpees.

I'm not a huge 311 fan, but they come from my city so they get tons of exposure here. i like them...i have all their CDs, but they don't get heavy play on my CD players...

Have you guys heard about the tour? 311 has two openers: The Roots and Medeski, Martin & Wood all on one bill. I would love to go, but I don't think circumstances are going to work out for me.

Guest Doyo

Year-------- Single---------- Highest Position Reached Billboard USA Modern Rock Charts

1993 Do You Right -- No. 27

1995 Don't Stay Home -- No. 29

1996 Down -- No. 4

1996 All Mixed Up -- No. 1

1997 Transistor -- No. 14

1997 Prisoner -- No. 21

1997 Beautiful Disaster -- No. 21

1999 Come Original -- No. 6

2000 Flowing -- No. 17

2001 You Wouldn't Believe -- No. 7

2001 I'll Be Here Awhile -- No. 15

2002 Amber -- No. 13

2003 Creatures (For A While) -- No. 3

2003 Beyond The Gray Sky -- No. 39

2004 Love Song -- No. 1

2004 First Straw -- No. 40

Did the band disappear after "All Mix Up" before hitting big with "Love Song"?

No, they just fell off the radar. They have a pretty big discography:

-"Music" (1993)

-"Grassroots" (1994)

-"311" (1995)

-"Enlarged to Show Detail" (VHS/DVD rockumentary and bonus EP) (1996)

-"Transistor" (1997)

-"Omaha Sessions" (A sampling of their three early demos; only available through the website) (1998)

-"Live" (A sampling of live recordings) (1998)

-"Soundsystem" (1999)

-"From Chaos" (2001)

-"Enlarged to Show Detail 2" (VHS/DVD rockumentary and bonus EP) (2001)

-"Evolver" (2003)

-"Greatest Hits '93-'03" (A singles compilation featuring new tracks) (2004)

And, on the way:

-"3-11 Day 2004" (A Double-DVD set. Most years on March 11, the band goes to New Orleans, where the mayor officially declared 3-11 to be a holiday, and plays what is approximately a three hour, eleven minute set. This year it was a five hour set.) (Oct., 2004)

So no, they never disappeared, they have seven major-label LPs in eleven years (the longest time between which would have been "Transistor" and "Soundsystem"). Sorry for my exhaustive list, I'm a 311 superfan, as you've probably guessed. I just didn't list their demos because I was unsure of the release years, haha.

"Prisoner" is one of my favorite songs ever, surprised it didn't do better when it came out.

I'd totally go see them alone, but with the ma'fuckin' Roots? Shiiiiiiit. I might actually drive for that one.

Eh, say what you want, but the simple truth is that 311 isn't comparable to flash-in-the-pan bands: they have just passed their 14th year as a unit with the original lineup in tact, and the number of diehard fans has grown from when they fisrt started and never saw a significant dropoff. That's a lot more that can be said of these veterans than the majority of others who are fat reflections of their old selves, holding on to hits from over a decade ago (see Jaxl's sig) or reduced to touring every hole-in-the-wall pub and teeny venue like the hair metalers of yesteryear.

That's a lot more that can be said of these veterans than the majority of others who are fat reflections of their old selves, holding on to hits from over a decade ago (see Jaxl's sig)

Give it time, give it time. And whereas every music fan in the world knows the name "Axl Rose", I highly doubt even 60% of em know who the hell 311 is.

That's a lot more that can be said of these veterans than the majority of others who are fat reflections of their old selves, holding on to hits from over a decade ago (see Jaxl's sig)

Give it time, give it time. And whereas every music fan in the world knows the name "Axl Rose", I highly doubt even 60% of em know who the hell 311 is.

That's not an apt comparison. I'm sure many more people know who Britney Spears is than either of the two.

311 still sucks though. How could a guy not be a big fan and have all their albums?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

311 has and never will be a blip on my musical radar screen. I've been tucked up so far north that I've been lucky enough to skip whatever they do. The few times I've mistakenly slipped upon them, my indifference reigned supreme. For some reason talking about these "never was" bands havign greatest hits made me think of the Gin Blossoms although i did own their album in 93-ish. I was pretty cool back then. Oh yea, I owned Soul Asylum too. Fuck yea, Runaway train ruled.

For Soul Asylum, I always liked "Want Somebody to Shove" and "Runaway Train" was ok, but I remember not being able to stand that "<something> Incorporated" song.