TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

"It's a Black man's game"

Guest Redhawk
Bird: NBA 'a black man's game'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com

KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. -- Larry Bird says he wants to see more white superstars in the NBA, but the legendary former Celtic has also revealed that nothing in basketball bothered him more than being guarded by another white player.

Bird made the comments during an ESPN special that will air Thursday at 7 p.m. ET featuring Bird's longtime rival, Magic Johnson, and rookies LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. The one-hour discussion is called "Two on Two."

ESPN host Jim Gray asked Bird whether the NBA lacks enough white superstars.

"Well, I think so," said Bird, the Indiana Pacers' president of basketball operations. "You know, when I played, you had me and Kevin (McHale) and some others throughout the league. I think it's good for a fan base because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America. And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Johnson, a Lakers part owner, quickly added: "We need some more LBs -- Larry Birds. ... Larry Bird, you see, can go into any neighborhood. When you say 'Larry Bird,' black people know who he is, Hispanics, whites, and they give him the respect."

Cleveland's James and Denver's Anthony, both 19, were also asked about race during the sitdown, which took place in the tiny gym used as Hickory High's homecourt in the movie "Hoosiers."

Asked by Gray if race is an issue in the NBA, James said: "I don't think so. I think the fans look at the game, (they're) not looking at the race. (They're) looking who can play basketball. Or who's athletic. ... When you (were) a kid and you used to go outside, it didn't matter who was the best player in the league. If Bird was my favorite player, I'm out shooting threes. ... If Magic was my (favorite) player, I'm out there throwing my best passes. It's not the race issue. If you can play the game of basketball, you know fans are gonna love you."

Said Anthony: "Race is not an issue. Where I'm from, people love the Yao Mings, the Dirks, the Pejas. They love them guys. I don't think race is an issue right now."

Yet later in the discussion, Bird described being guarded by another white in his prime as "disrespect."

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out (and) I would always ask him: 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did you coach do this to you?' And he'd go, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' ... For some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy.

"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me -- red, yellow, black," Bird added. "I just didn't want a white guy guarding me. Because it's disrespect to my game."

Said Magic: "His game, you see, Larry Bird was the only (white) guy that was mentioned in the barbershop. ...'Cause that's where all the talking in our communitity is, the barbershop or on the playground."

Bird has declined to comment further, according to a Pacers spokesman, and NBA commissioner David Stern said he would reserve comment until seeing the entire interview.

So Larry thinks White players are inferior defenders? Now, had Rasheed Wallace said something like that, he'd be fined right away. But Larry's Larry and the commish will let him off easy.

And Magic obviously hasn't been in "our community" in a while if he says we do all the talking at the playground and in the barbershop.

And the fact that Gray asked if the NBA lacks "enough" white stars just shows how dumb Gray is. What the hell is "enough?" Is there a set number? What is that number? If I asked you if there are enough superstars in the league period, what would you say?

It soundss like a stupid argument to me. It seems like the amount of European players are rapidly increasing, along with guys from places Argentina, China, and even South Korea. If anything, I'd say that the NBA is going more towards Europeans and foreign players.

It is funny, though, normally it's white people complaining that "if a white guy said that, he'd be in a shitload of trouble" (after a minority says something that's potentially controversial). But this time, it's a white guy saying it and there are people saying "if Rasheed Wallace said ...". The grass isn't always greener.

And I do think that a lot of white America is put off by how 'urban' and international the game's become. To a lot of people, especially older generations, young kids in corn-rows and tatoos, or foreign born players, aren't the players that they grew up watching, and it turns them off. I wish that wasn't the case, but I really think it's true.

This little kid came up to me and asked is it okay for white guys to play defense.

I hoped you told him "no". NOONE should play D, dammit!! [/sarcasm]

Guest Goodear
And I do think that a lot of white America is put off by how 'urban' and international the game's become.

Americans in general are almost uniformily put off by international stars for some reason. Looking simply at auto racing and you'll see NASCAR so far above Indy racing its not even funny. The same thing is happening between women's and men's tennis. Its sooooo not about race anymore in sports it is silly when far and away the most popular figures in sports are minorities and have been for years now. Its all about the nationality and I have no idea why other than it being harder to spell European names.

Since when did these European players become non-white.

"But I am from Yugoslavia"

You Yugoslavian CRAKA~!

Guest Goodear

"I'm not from here! My clothes and beliefs are wild and different!"

- The Forreigner from Futurama

Its not the color of the players that causes me to dislike the NBA, its the hip hop thug mentality. Just listen to the interviews after the game, I cannot understand half of what the thugs say, and I am only 21. Its funny because Griffey Jr. is my favorite baseball player, but whenever I mention that to any of my african american friends when the NBA argument comes up they say he is a white man with black skin. I am not sure what that means, aren't they generalizing their own race? To them if someone comes from a well off family, who speaks correctly, and is a devoted family man does that make them white? Is it because after the game he listens to country music in the locker room not rap? Is it because he does not call women bitches and has never been caught smoking weed or arrested at all? Because I am in college classes with african americans who also do not do any of those things. Does this mean they are also not "truly" black?

Why? If you disagree with something I said tell me why? I believe in judging someone on their own personal morals not the color of their skin. I just do not understand how they can say he is not really black? Are you telling me that you agree with them?

Shut up.

ditto

on a sidenote: i must say that white guys that act black, though annoying to almost everyone, REALLY annoy me...a white guy will NEVER know what it's like to be black, he can listen to all the rap he wants, he can dress however he wants, he can talk however he wants, but he will never know the feeling of walking into a place and being hated simply because his skin is dark...

sorry for the rant *gets off the soapbox*

"White people love Ken Griffey, Jr. because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.” - big apologies to Chappelle & Negrodamus

No its just that the more positive black images rarely get shown by the media. Being a thug is not black, its just being a thug. Go to any college or school and it is obvious to see the difference.

Shut up.

ditto

on a sidenote: i must say that white guys that act black, though annoying to almost everyone, REALLY annoy me...a white guy will NEVER know what it's like to be black, he can listen to all the rap he wants, he can dress however he wants, he can talk however he wants, but he will never know the feeling of walking into a place and being hated simply because his skin is dark...

sorry for the rant *gets off the soapbox*

What if he's Jewish and walks into an predominantly-Arab location? (or a predominantly-black one, for that matter). I mean, Jews have been persecuted for centuries ... but I guess there's not a huge number of people listening to hardcore Jewish music and emulating the way they speak and dress and whatnot, so your soapbox tangent is still accurate. But, still, to imply that blacks are the only ones to experience prejudice is far from accurate.

at what point did i say that? i don't think I once mentioned that blacks are the only ones to experience prejudice...the only thing i was talking about was the notion of Joe Blow upper-class America blonde-haired blue-eyed white boy thinking he's black...i know jews have been persecuted for years, so have native americans, so have asians...

Why? If you disagree with something I said tell me why? I believe in judging someone on their own personal morals not the color of their skin. I just do not understand how they can say he is not really black? Are you telling me that you agree with them?

Maybe because what you said was stupid and you have stupid friends. Ask your friends why they are morons, don't ask everyone else why Ken Griffy isn't considered black.

And apparently having cornrows= calling women bitches and being a thug.

Why don't you name these, THUGS who you can't understand in a post game interview.

I am scanning my mind, and I have been watching basketball for about 20 years now, and I can't think of any THUG speak on a post game interview. But hey, they probably had cornrows.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Ken Griffey listens to country music?

Are you kidding me? You have been watching basketball for 20 years and have never heard a thug interview on a post game show. The last interview I saw was with Rasheed Wallace before the finals. And no someone having cornrows does not mean they are a thug.

Are you kidding me? You have been watching basketball for 20 years and have never heard a thug interview on a post game show. The last interview I saw was with Rasheed Wallace before the finals.

Knew you would bring him up.

Now, what has Rasheed done to be considered a thug?

And what is talking like a thug? Anything less that perfect english?

Because I can point to some Larry Bird, Greg Ostertag, Brad Miller, Bryant Reeves and basically every foreign player interviews and we can discuss how "thug" they are.

Americans in general are almost uniformily put off by international stars for some reason. Looking simply at auto racing and you'll see NASCAR so far above Indy racing its not even funny. The same thing is happening between women's and men's tennis. Its sooooo not about race anymore in sports it is silly when far and away the most popular figures in sports are minorities and have been for years now. Its all about the nationality and I have no idea why other than it being harder to spell European names.

Perhaps part if the reason is that Nascar holds more local events than Indy Racing.

You do know of Rasheeds record while with Portland right, just look up his record its open for everyone to see. I do not consider an accent a sign of being a thug, its the way you handle yourself in the interview.

Rasheed had a thug interivew? What's a thug interview? The interview I heard Rasheed have after they beat Indiana didn't sound too "thugish". And since when is listening to specific music, dressing in a specific way, and talking in a specific way make someone trying to be a specific race? Ken Griffey Jr. can listen to all the country music he wants. I didn't know that listening to country music automatically makes you white.

Since when do these transformations exist? Ken Griffey is african-american, because, check this out, it might sound crazy..but..because he's actually african-american. Music, style of speaking, and clothes do not change what you are.

As for this topic itself, I play basketball in the parks, and it doesn't matter at all if you are white, black, green, red or whatever. If you got game, you play. No one cares. The game is getting more and more internationally flavored, and thats for the better.

I love this, this is why I take african american studies classes as electives each semester. I guess I am one of the few white people who enjoy discussing race issues. Cena I was saying the same thing, Jr. is african american not because of what he listens to but because of what he is, an african american.

You do know of Rasheeds record while with Portland right, just look up his record its open for everyone to see. I do not consider an accent a sign of being a thug, its the way you handle yourself in the interview.

So...anyone that has smoked weed is a thug.

We got alot of thugs at this site. There are a WHOLE lot of thugs.

If that is what you got, getting Technical fouls in a BASKETBALL GAME and a weed charge, while ignoring his community work and the fact he is a devoted family man, I would like to repeat my earlier shut up.

If that is what you got, getting Technical fouls in a BASKETBALL GAME and a weed charge, while ignoring his community work and the fact he is a devoted family man, I would like to repeat my earlier shut up.

Yeah. The guy even has a tattoo of himself and his family. Some thug.