TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Velvet Revolver

so will it be an all 3 albums at once thing, like a 3 disc set or like one in jan. one in nov. then one the following year in may or something like that?

can't get enough Axl!

Loder: How much stuff have you got for this new album? You've been working on this for a long time. Is there just tons of material?

Rose: We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

Loder: Oh!

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

Loder: [Laughs] Not always the case, obviously.

Rose: No, and I don't want to be in a situation again where I have to depend on other people and have... start all over. So we have material that we think is too advanced for old Guns fans to hear right now and they would completely hate, because we were exploring the use of computers... everybody really playing their ass off and combining that, but trying to push the envelope a bit. It's like, "Hmm, I have to push the envelope a little too far. We'll wait on that." So we got a list of things.

If you're more interested in Velvet Revolver, PBS' Frontline did a show on the sad state of the music industry, and you can watch the entire thing legally through the online WMV streaming on their site here.

Just try to skip or ignore the parts about that one guy's daughter who's being manufactured into yet another Avril Lavigne. The end of the episode they mentioned that Revolver took off while he teen pop act crashed and burned, which I guess is a small victory for good music.

Still, I was never into GnR, but I'm kind of glad to see Axl's now getting his just desserts.

Guest Black Tiger

My dad just got me the VR CD as a very belated X-mas gift (he got laid off around that time, and finally got in his 401K and other shit). I'm liking the CD so far, its not exactly AFD or Core though.

I'm really liking the Songs, Sucker Train Blues, Set Me Free, and the song where Weiland mentions "Junkie Piece of Shit"

Yeah, which would have a little more power if Weiland hadn't already cashed in the "self-deprecating junkie" card on STP's "Tumble in the Rough."

The album's all right, but it ain't exactly anything new and it has some really abysmal moments ("Fall to Pieces", specifically). The lyrics are dreadful, Weiland has deteriorated horribly as a vocalist, but the sound of the GNR vets in the back is great and the songwriting, while not really straying outside of your typical rock convention, is pretty tight. And "Slither" is one hell of a single - A&R reps must have creamed themselves when they heard that song.

It's just missing something, and it ain't Axl. Personally, I blame Weiland, who will certainly trip out on some flavor of heroin in the coming year and morph back to David Bowie-wannabe Scott Weiland, complete with eye shadow and song lyrics that mention masturbation at least three times each. He's just trying waaaay too hard at this "rock thing" nowadays (The guy celebrates "M.W.A - Mass World Annihilation" on his section of the liner notes) and his voice sounds awful (listen to tracks from VR versus, say, an acoustic cover of "Plush"). Give it a rest, Scott - for you and your family's sake.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
It's just missing something, and it ain't Axl. Personally, I blame Weiland, who will certainly trip out on some flavor of heroin in the coming year and morph back to David Bowie-wannabe Scott Weiland, complete with eye shadow and song lyrics that mention masturbation at least three times each. He's just trying waaaay too hard at this "rock thing" nowadays (The guy celebrates "M.W.A - Mass World Annihilation" on his section of the liner notes) and his voice sounds awful (listen to tracks from VR versus, say, an acoustic cover of "Plush"). Give it a rest, Scott - for you and your family's sake.

Its more of an early 70's Iggy thang than Bowie...

The album's all right, but it ain't exactly anything new and it has some really abysmal moments ("Fall to Pieces", specifically). The lyrics are dreadful, Weiland has deteriorated horribly as a vocalist,

It's missing Axl and Izzy. I can;t wait for "Fall To Pieces" to go to #1 though, so I can lose even more faith in my peers.

It's just missing something, and it ain't Axl.  Personally, I blame Weiland, who will certainly trip out on some flavor of heroin in the coming year and morph back to David Bowie-wannabe Scott Weiland, complete with eye shadow and song lyrics that mention masturbation at least three times each.  He's just trying waaaay too hard at this "rock thing" nowadays (The guy celebrates "M.W.A - Mass World Annihilation" on his section of the liner notes) and his voice sounds awful (listen to tracks from VR versus, say, an acoustic cover of "Plush").  Give it a rest, Scott - for you and your family's sake.

Its more of an early 70's Iggy thang than Bowie...

Have you heard his solo album?

Guest Black Tiger

The only songs thus far I'm not too high on are Falling To Pieces and Loving the Alien. Weiland just can't do ballads,

I'm really liking most of the album though: Sucker Train Blues, Do It For The Kids, Big Machine, Set Me Free, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, and Super Human (supposed to be their next single) I think they're all pretty good songs.

Guest Black Tiger
It's missing Axl and Izzy.

When I saw the picture of the band on the back of the CD case, I saw Weiland and the first thing I thought of was Izzy in the video for Sweet Child O' Mine.

The only songs thus far I'm not too high on are Falling To Pieces and Loving the Alien. Weiland just can't do ballads,

I've found mysel listening to "Loving The Alien" a lot lately. It reminds me of an old Clapton song, but I can't put my finger on which one.