TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hektik

More WWE Gimmick News

An excerpt from the 6/14 Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

The WWE at this point feels it needs to go to the extremes to get reactions in a blase society, and playing on racial and xenophobic issues is one of wrestling time honored traditions. Layfield's character from the start, because of his program with Guerrero, has been anti-Mexican, and many of the lines he has delivered were scripted for him. These are all in bad taste, but bad taste among wrestling heels has been part of wrestling for as far back as anyone can remember. The Kenzo Suzuki character is a modern adaptation of the stereotypical Japanese heels of the post World War II era, even with the name change. The WWE is now looking into a Middle Eastern heel or heels. Mark Magnus (an Italian from upstate New York who resembles a young Marc Mero) & James Reiher Jr. (Jimmy Snuka Jr.), are those slated to be groomed for the role. They are going to debut shortly in OVW, as their debut was delayed due to Reiher blowind out his knee right before they were to get started. However, like with Suzuki, and Sylvan Grenier when they debuted La Resistance, they are taking guys who, in the case of Reiher, may never be ready, and Magnus, who verbally and presence wise is probably ready, but in the ring isn't.

Mark Magnus

Mark_Magnus.jpg

James Reiher Jr./Jimmy Snuka Jr.

Jimmy_Snuka_Jr..jpg

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I didn't think it was possible, but Jimmy Snuka NOW is better looking than his son.

Sooo..they want to use Magnus for a middle Eastern role?

Hmmm...that's just not working, at all. Hell Rikishi would even fit that role better look wise, but sounds like a terrible gimmick altogether.

Great, lets have them bring back Tiger Ali Sighn while they're at it. Same with Rodney Mack.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Who will shit, piss, and put cigarettes out in his turban now that X-Pac is gone?

Guest JMA

Middle Eastern heels? :ph34r:

That's REALLY going to blow up in their faces if they go through with it.

I hope Magnus is a white boy pretending to be from the Middle East.

That could be somewhat entertaining.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Great. Bad gimmicks and bad wrestlers. Great.

Makes sense though.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

The Magnus thing is a very bad idea, he's a pretty good talent, with great charisma and a good look, but a) He's nowhere near ready, he should spend at least another year or so in OVW, as he's very green. And b) Using him in the middle eastern role would be negate his greatest skill, which is to be an arrogant pretty boy heel. I don't know what to say about Snuka Jr, hopefully he's improved at least a little bit.

Guest Trivia247

They shouldn't screw with a already built in gimmick for Jimmy Superfly II

Guest Real F'n Show

They should bring back Tiger Ali Singh and Babu and pay fans to do stupid shit again, like licking Babu's toejam. At least that was entertaining.

They shouldn't screw with a already built in gimmick for Jimmy Superfly II

My thoughts exactly. They've got the son of a "WWE Legend". It's the perfect setup gimmick for the guy. Hell, they drove the fact that Randy Orton is a "third generation superstar" into the ground, and Snuka is, arguably, a more memorable superstar than Cowboy Bob ever was.

Hmmm...that's just not working, at all. Hell Rikishi would even fit that role better look wise, but sounds like a terrible gimmick altogether.

He was the Sultan, after all...

What nobody remembers Lo-Down with Tiger Ali Signh? That really went over with wrestlers who were successful before they decided to become camel jockeys.

Guest Real F'n Show
What nobody remembers Lo-Down with Tiger Ali Signh?  That really went over with wrestlers who were successful before they decided to become camel jockeys.

I try not to remember that.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
They should bring back Tiger Ali Singh and Babu and pay fans to do stupid shit again, like licking Babu's toejam. At least that was entertaining.

If by entertaining you mean a waste of 5:00 with no hope to get over an unover "wrestler", than yeah, it was entertaining.

Layfield's character from the start, because of his program with Guerrero, has been anti-Mexican, and many of the lines he has delivered were scripted for him. These are all in bad taste, but bad taste among wrestling heels has been part of wrestling for as far back as anyone can remember.

He writes this as if it makes it all better. Some gimmicks are best forgotten.

I bet a white Southerner manager dragging a black "slave" wrestler to the ring would get a big reaction. Does that mean they should do it?

And when was the last time the evil foreigner gimmick really got over? Yokozuna? The Unamericans tanked, although to be fair the Undertaker kicking the shit out of all of them at once didn't help matters.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

You mean Kane. He made the Un-Americans his bitch for about 2 months before they disbanded. Undertaker simply killed Test at Summerslam.

You mean Kane. He made the Un-Americans his bitch for about 2 months before they disbanded. Undertaker simply killed Test at Summerslam.

Was it Kane? I distinctly remember the Undertaker chasing off all three of them at once. Oh well, it strictly doesn't matter. The Unamericans were never booked as any kind of a threat. And let's not forget the blowoff, when a very green, very unover Randy Orton beat two of them at once, repeated a spot and injured himself...

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

How could I forgot that Orton match...he fucks up...whatever the hell that move is where you twist your oppoents head into the canvas with your leg, Christian still sells it, and the rest is a blur.

.... Th... They have the son of JIMMY SNUKA, a WWE Legend who is ALWAYS showing up on WWE programming... and they want to make him a MIDDLE EASTERN HEEL.

I... wow. Just... wow.

Sounds a little bit to much like the early to mid 90s WWE for my liking. Heres hoping that they all end up Smackdownd so that it dosent ruin Raw.

Am I the only one that laughed his ass off at the idea of a Middle Eastern heel "blowing up in our faces," as JAxl said? Man, if you meant to say it like that, kudos.

Guest Seven Sins

Why don't they have Snuka Jr. Fued with Orton? afterall, Orton is the legend killer. Just have Orton on one raw decimate Snuka Sr. which, in the process would send out snuka Jr to save his dad and theres a good fued for a Month or 2. Atleast it's better then the Middle East idea.

Am I the only one that laughed his ass off at the idea of a Middle Eastern heel "blowing up in our faces," as JAxl said? Man, if you meant to say it like that, kudos.

Yeah, the best part about it is you only have to see one of his matches.