TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

TNA Preview 6-16-04

Can't in good faith reccomend this one, though they've suprised me before. Snazzy graphics to be added when they're up...

WHO ARE THE HIRED GUNS?

3LIVE KRU vs. JEFF JARRETT’s MERCENARIES

The ongoing war between the 3Live Kru and NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett escalated again on Impact, as the champion promised he was bringing three mercenaries to the Pay-Per-View on Wednesday to destroy 3Live Kru! Will Ron “The Truth” Killings even make it to his June 23 NWA World Title shot against Jarrett? Who are the three hired guns? Tune in and find out!

X CHAMPION AJ STYLES VS. DALLAS w/ Kid Kash

Kid Kash has made it clear he’s gunning for AJ Styles and the X Championship, and this Wednesday night on PPV the K-I-D’s monster assassin Dallas will get the first crack at The Phenomenal One! Easily the biggest opponent AJ Styles has ever faced, can his extreme X style overcome the power of Dallas? Can Styles find a way to keep Kid Kash at bay during his bout against Big D? Tune in and find out!

WILL SABU ANSWER RAVEN’S CHALLENGE?

Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View, the world witnessed Raven challenging Sabu to a fight in the House Of Fun Match, but it was the promise to his legendary uncle The Sheik that kept Sabu from fighting his former friend. Despite Sabu’s oath, Raven persisted and even attacked Sonjay Dutt, who was delivering a message on behalf of Sabu! The question is, will Raven continue his demands until Sabu relents? Tune in and find out!

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

AMERICA’S MOST WANTED VS. ABYSS AND THE ALPHA MALE

New NWA World Tag Team Champions America’s Most Wanted are in the for the biggest challenge of their careers this Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View as they defend the gold against the unstoppable combination of The Alpha Male and Abyss! Can Harris and Storm remain the top tag team in TNA, or will The Alpha Male and Abyss make AMW’s fourth title reign a short one?

FLAG MATCH

TEAM NWA VS. TEAM CANADA

The ongoing war between Team NWA and Team Canada comes to a head this Wednesday night on Pay-Per-View as both sides will face each other in a Flag Match! After Team Canada brutally attacked Jerry Lynn Wednesday night and manager Scott D’Amore shredding the NWA flag, Team NWA is hellbent on revenge. Will this be the match that ultimately ends this ongoing war? Tune in and see!

ULTIMATE HUMILATION MATCH

SONNY SIAKI, PAT KENNEY AND DESIRE VS. THE NEW YORK CONNECTION

The rules are simple this Wednesday night – win, and you get to put your opponents through the Ultimate Humiliation! In recent months, the New York Connection has stopped at nothing to humiliate and degrade Pat Kenney, Sonny Siaki and Desire. Time and time again, the NYC used their numbers game to attack Siaki and Kenny, but all that changes this Wednesday night as both sides compete in the Ultimate Humiliation Match! The question is – what humiliation will the losers be forced to do?

ALL THIS AND MUCH MORE THIS WEDNESDAY NIGHT LIVE ON TNA PAY-PER-VIEW!

About the only match I can honestly say I'm excited for is Styles/Dallas, and that's because I'm hoping Styles works his big man/little man magic and I'm diggin this feud so far. By the way, I just wanted to mention that there is a dandy in-depth preview of this week's show in the From Even Further Outside Thread. You know you wanna read it! :D *end cheap plug. LOL.

Glad I stopped watching. That's really all I can add. The show is usually solid to great when it's not the Jeff Jarrett Magic Hour, and by Voice's recent reports (considering we usually have very different opinions on TNA)? Not worth ordering anymore.

Guest Donners

I'm looking forward to AMW vs. Brown and Abyss. I rate all of the people involved in that match. We'll also apparently get Collyer and possibly Hernandez in the ring as Jarrett's mercenaries, which could be interesting.

Guest sean pyro

There's nothing on this card that really stands out to me, it's going to be nothing more than a show to set up the '2nd Anniversary PPV'.

Which I plan on ordering.

It will be the first one I've bought since June 25th of last year.

TOTAL NONSTOP LEONARD BOLDJSAJSDSAJ, ect.

I hope the 3rd hired gun is Kanyon.

I don't think they'll debut Kanyon here. They'd most likely save it for the anniversary show or something. And unless they're also bringing in DDP, I'm sure they'll bring in Kanyon as a face and throw him in there with Jarrett, kinda like how they brought in D'Lo. They brought in Raven like that too, but the roles were reversed then.

1) Jarrett having an army and valet is a good way to make his gimmick... well, existent. so i'm in favor of bringing in 3 pretty good wrestlers and making a stable with them. basically, it'd be TNA's version of Evolution. what sucks, though, is that they have to work with 3LK, two thirds of which suck royally in the ring. we may be getting a good main event fued here, but i don't see too many great matches coming out of it.

2) AJ vs. Dallas shouldn't be too terrible, as AJ is in there. this'll further the fued with K-I-D. i'm really happy that they're doing this fued, and i hope they keep it up for longer than a month.

3) Sabu vs. Raven is another fued i'm happy about. i know that's not the consensus on this board, but personally, i like it. i hope they drag this one out for a while too. i think there's a better chance of seeing good matches before the final showdown between Raven and Sabu.

4) throwing Abyss and Monte at AMW isn't a bad idea to cement them as badass tag team champions. i just wish TNA actually knew what they were doing with Abyss. he's completely wasted in the Watts/Goldy fued. Monte i'm becoming a fan of, as he's a hoss that can play his character well and his ring work is half-decent. AMW, on the other hand, needs a REAL tag team to fued with. that's where it begins and ends, people. the Naturals are obviously the best choice for this, and the tag division has needed rebuilding for a long time now.

5) Team Canada is a great heel faction, and i want them to stay together. Hector Garza is a star in the making, despite not speaking a word of English. so why is the X Cup shit still going? end it, TNA. you got plenty out of it, so just end it now.

6) not too interested in the Ult. Humiliation match. the NYC sucks right now as a heel faction, and the whole fued w/ Siaki/Kenney is just forced. at least its ending now, and everyone can get onto better things.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

The 3 Jarrett mercenaries are Hotstuff Hernandez and Onyx from NWA Wildside, and Chad Collyer.

As long as Hotstuff doesn't injure someone, he'll get over, and Onyx is a rock-solid worker. I'm definitely not a Collyer fan, but I've heard he's improved a lot recently.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Why won't the Canada vs. NWA/Mexico feud just DIE already?! I am SICK of it. Grab Williams and Devine from Canada and Garza from Mexico and just push them as a team/singles wrestler respecitively. I mean, wasn't the World X Cup supposed to be the end of the issue?

Why won't the Canada vs. NWA/Mexico feud just DIE already?! I am SICK of it. Grab Williams and Devine from Canada and Garza from Mexico and just push them as a team/singles wrestler respecitively. I mean, wasn't the World X Cup supposed to be the end of the issue?

Conventional wisdom said that the blow off would have been Team NWA winning the World Cup last month. Obviously TNA disagreed, but I am so with you on this thing running its course. As I said in my preview, it was a very effective storyline from February to May and I'm sure they popped some decent buyrates, so the X Cups by all accounts were a success. But this is getting ridiculous now. They should just push Williams and Rude as a legit tag team, and in fact, give them a run with the belts. Give Garza a solo push in the X division and don't mention the World Cup again til next May, unless we're talking about a DVD release.

Guest MikeSC

Shoxkingly, I make this point and some people demand ritual suicide.

TNA has an ability unmatched to take a good idea and run it into the ground.

-=Mike

Shoxkingly, I make this point and some people demand ritual suicide.

TNA has an ability unmatched to take a good idea and run it into the ground.

-=Mike

The difference is that mine came off as a valid criticism and not mindless trolling because I give TNA credit where credit is due and I also acknowledge when they make mistakes. If you're only giving one side, of course people are going to disregard what you have to say.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The definately need to end the X Cup stuff and just push Team Canada as a heel stable.

Guest MikeSC
The difference is that mine came off as a valid criticism and not mindless trolling because I give TNA credit where credit is due and I also acknowledge when they make mistakes. If you're only giving one side, of course people are going to disregard what you have to say.

Thing is, I don't. People just wish to hold on to misconceptions.

Good for them.

When this company is dead in 2 years, I will still be happy-go-lucky.

-=Mike

It's ironic that as the company celebrates it FUCKING 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY that we still have the same they'll be dead in (6 months, 1 year, 2 years) talk that have always come from the same people around here. Give it up already. They're here. And they're growing. Whether or not you agree with every decision they make is irrevelant to their ability to survive. Give it up already. It's really getting tiresome.

Guest MikeSC

It's ironic that as the company celebrates it FUCKING 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY that we still have the same they'll be dead in (6 months, 1 year, 2 years) talk that have always come from the same people around here. Give it up already. They're here. And they're growing. Whether or not you agree with every decision they make is irrevelant to their ability to survive. Give it up already. It's really getting tiresome.

This company is making as many bad moves as ECW did in its dying days. Total dud as World Champ. Horrible TV deal. Crappy booking.

-=Mike

Guest Donners

Actually, two years is very generous. The usual standard troll line is 6 months. I daresay this is as close as Mike gets to a postive comment.

This company is making as many bad moves as ECW did in its dying days. Total dud as World Champ. Horrible TV deal. Crappy booking.

Mike, the ECW comparision is also getting quite old and stale. I write a long, detailed explaination of the differences between the two, but its been done sooooooo many times already that I don't really have to. In case you are unfamilar with those differences, here is a very well-written column from a guy at wrestlingdb.com that explained them:

I must say, as skeptical I was of this TNA venture on FOX Sports Net, they really knocked a home run—nay; a grand slam today in their very first show on national television.

Granted, TNA has a lot of factors working against them in this situation. 3:00pm on Friday afternoons isn’t the best timeslot in the world. They are paying out of their own pocket for the time. Dave Meltzer says they are paying approximately $15,000 a week for the timeslot. Add that in to the weekly live PPV costs, about $50,000 a week, and it seems like this has a great chance to drown TNA in a bottomless sea of red ink. However, after watching their debut show this afternoon (and I skipped class to do so, since my Friday afternoon college class ends at 2:50pm), they have a lot of things going for them. But more on that later.

What I would like to examine right now is the talk and speculation that this TV deal, if it fails, could sink TNA to the professional wrestling promotion graveyard alongside the rotting corpses of WCW, ECW, the AWA, the WWA, SMW, MLW, UWF, and so many more. I would like to give John Collins’ Main Event Championship Wrestling (don’t tell me you’ve already forgotten about that debacle from July 2001 already; no not THAT debacle) its own sentence just because of how much of a supreme failure it was. But one of those companies found itself in a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. That company was the renegade Philadelphia, PA promotion that every hardcore wrestling fan will forever keep in their heart known as Extreme Championship Wrestling.

Extreme Championship Wrestling and Total Nonstop Action are two very similar promotions in very similar situations a few years apart.

While some regarded ECW as the “Rebel without a Cause,” it’s quite obvious that wasn’t the case. They had a cause. The cause was to shake up the at-the-time walking dead world of wrestling and create a viable, serious alternative to the campy, cartoon wrestling promotions of the WWF and WCW. In fact, they could have been labeled the “Rebel without a Home.” However, in July of 1999, the rebel found its home in The Nashville Network. On Friday, August 27th, 1999, ECW presented their first ever nationally televised wrestling show. Many thought this would be the thing that would save ECW from financial oblivion, finally bring Paul Heyman’s business back in the black, and would finally make them a viable contender in the world of American wrestling. Had you suggested at the time that this TV deal would be the biggest proponent in their death, you probably would have been put through a flaming table.

But that’s ultimately what happened. TNN raped ECW of what it was and stripped it down to make it look nothing more than a bush league promotion. And on TNN, that’s exactly what it was. And less than two years later, ECW (as we knew it) was but a distant memory.

ECW had a lot of things running against it. Friday night at 8:00pm is a death slot, as Lance Storm has said many times in his website commentary. They got no promotion whatsoever from TNN. In the year-plus that ECW was on TNN, I probably saw one ECW commercial the entire time on television on a channel not named TNN. ECW’s first show was essentially a recap show, highlighting and providing detail on all their current champions. That proved to be a huge error. Their ECW Champion at the time was Taz, so they basically built the show around him. What was the problem? He signed with the WWF about three weeks later. Although he didn’t leave until December, it was a mistake to bank their first show around a man whom ultimately would have barely any presence on the show after the first month.

Now that we have the luxury of a precedent being set, we now can logically make arguments that a bad television deal could potentially spell the end of a fledgling promotion such as TNA. We know what happened to ECW. TNN wanted the violence toned down. ECW became infamous because of their bloody brawls. Sure, unmatched technical wrestling became a huge part of ECW in their later years, but it was always the chair-smashing, table-breaking, blood-letting brawls that were their main events. When you took away the violence, you took away the very thing that made ECW what it was. Extreme. In the end, TNN jerked over ECW financially and kicked them out to the corner for the WWF, whom they completely made over the network for, complete with a new channel name. Less than three months after their cancellation from TNN, ECW had run its last show. Paul Heyman’s hiring by the WWF officially signified that ECW was dead.

Now we fast forward to June 2004. It’s a different world now since ECW started making their mark in 1995. WCW is dead. ECW is dead. The WWF is now WWE. Vince McMahon is the supreme overlord of North American wrestling. Eric Bischoff and Paul Heyman both work for Vince McMahon. The presence of only one promotion has led to accused staleness. The brand extension was supposed to cure this and create different products, and it has, but for all the wrong reasons. Both one show is good and the other is bad. During the brand extension era, you’ve never been able to say, “These two brands are awesome in their own unique ways.” And plus, everyone still regards it as WWE anyways. In June 2002, the Jarretts decided they wanted to create a new alternative. Most wrestling pundits, including myself, didn’t give them two months to live. And in fact, they almost didn’t make it by the first month. But, thanks to Jerry Jarrett being the quick thinker he is (and not being Paul Heyman helped as well), here we are in June 2004, and TNA is still alive and well. And, oh yeah, they’re on national television now.

Basically, whatever ECW had going against them is not going against TNA. While Friday afternoons at 3:00pm isn’t exactly the best timeslot for wrestling, it’s a hell of a lot better than 8:00pm.

It seemed ECW had to downgrade for television while TNA has extremely (no pun intended) upgraded. Their production for Impact is, quite frankly, top notch. It looks fantastic. A lot of big stars, Kevin Nash specifically, remarked that they lost interest in working with TNA because it looked so minor league. This TV show does not look minor league in the slightest. Separate entrance aisles for babyfaces and heels are a great touch. While the pyro, theme music, and screen videos leave a lot to be desired, this will improve over time.

Another very impressive thing I noticed was the very precise explanation of what’s going on in TNA, via the announcers and the TV screen. Mike Tenay did an exceptional job getting over the fact that this isn’t the usual wrestling experience and explaining what makes them unique. He clearly defined the time limit workings for each match. 10 minutes for non-title matches and 30 minutes for title matches. Little details like that have gotten lost in today’s world of wrestling. Also, the very bold move of titles changing via count out and disqualification is a splendid touch to make it seem more legitimate. As Mike Tenay said, “Even if you lose by count out or disqualification, you lose your title. in TNA, a loss is a loss.” In the way of the television screen helping out, I thought it was extremely professional that they have a descending time clock on top of the screen showing you how much time is left in the match. Also, the bar beside it telling you who is wrestling is a fantastic touch and will enable the newer fans to learn the names faster. The news ticker at the bottom of the screen basically hypes what you’re going to see on the PPV this week. Overall, it just has an all-around professional feel to it. I would even take it so far as to say it makes it look like TNA is the legitimate promotion for pro wrestling, if you can think of it like that.

TNA also has a brand-new novelty going for it: the six-sided ring. Though it’ll take more time for people such as me to get used to, it adds yet another one of those unique touches that separates it apart from WWE. It also adds more things that can be done in the ring, specifically with the X Division, which brings me to my next point.

TNA knows that it can’t compete with WWE doing the same things they do. That’s basically what WCW 2000 (WWF Lite as it was accurately referred to by Dave Scherer) was and it proved to be what the iceberg was to the Titanic. They had to be different. They can't base their promotion around soap opera storylines. The Jarretts know that to stay in the same game with Vince McMahon, they have to be a completely different animal. ECW’s violence was what set it apart from the WWF and WCW, but TNN told them, “No extreme violence.” FSN is not holding back what TNA will (and should) build their television around, and that is the X Division. When people see the X Division and the things that are done inside of it, people are going to notice. I saw stuff today on that show that you’re never going to see in WWE’s supremely watered-down cruiserweight division. Plus, the X Division isn’t even really a cruiserweight division. As Mike Tenay so wonderfully explained on today’s show, “The X Division isn’t about weight limits, it’s about NO limits.” Putting A.J. Styles back as the crown jewel of the X Division is perhaps going to bring the best out of all these guys we’ve ever seen. It will also lend some credibility. A.J. Styles, the former two-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, *wants* to be in the X Division. The X Division is what I believe can bring TNA to prominence and get them noticed as the one and only viable alternative.

Despite paying money for the slot, TNA has more going for it than ECW did. Jerry Jarrett has a willing Panda Energy bank account to use willingly (and more importantly, wisely). Paul Heyman had a shoestring budget that he had to overcompensate for to keep his talent from flocking to New York or Atlanta. TNA doesn’t have to worry about its stars leaving, because they are locked up in contracts. Anyone who doesn’t have a contract won’t be on the show. It’s as simple as that. I truly believe the Jarretts have their mind set on making this work and have learned from the mistakes of the ECWs before them.

Before, I was really gloomy thinking about this TV deal and what it could do to TNA. After watching the first show, I’m damn excited about TNA’s chances.

Here’s to a new promotion actually making Vince motivated again.

Questions?

Guest MikeSC

OK, which of these is false?

1) Their current World Champ has NEVER shown an ability to draw.

2) They can't draw paying fans to their shows.

3) Their buyrates are still below 10,000.

4) They're expenses are increasing when no evidence indicates revenues are matching that.

All of you sound IDENTICAL to the WCW marks in 2000. You refuse to see the problems that are there, choosing to attack the people who simply state that the company is in trouble --- and they are doing more than anybody else to continue their problems.

-=Mike

First there ECW, then they're WCW. Mike, meet 2004. No one has said they are a flawless company. We just have said they aren't already dead like people have been claiming since the ring broke before their first show. None of us know the details of their financial situation. They have begun making moves to increase their exposure, and thus, increase buyrates. They have the show, they are talking of beginning house shows at the end of the year and finally seem serious about getting their DVDs in stores, all of which should tremendously help their buyrates. We're just saying that you give an incredible one-sided, totally pessimistic view of TNA. Even guys like Corey and Dynamite Kido, who have pointed out several of the flaws that you have, do so with out the this company will be dead in 6 months BULLSHIT that you like to include. And then you wonder why everyone virtually ignores the few good points that you tend to make. Its because we've all realized a long time ago that you are A TROLL.

Guest MikeSC
First there ECW, then they're WCW.

ECW in terms of business plan. WCW in terms of show quality. Try and keep up.

No one has said they are a flawless company.  We just have said they aren't already dead like people have been claiming since the ring broke before their first show.

Relying on a rich benefactor to keep you afloat is a quick way to make sure you don't last.

None of us know the details of their financial situation.  They have begun making moves to increase their exposure, and thus, increase buyrates.

If buyrates had increased --- they'd have mentioned it. That they NEVER release buyrates --- heck, WCW didn't at the end --- only shows how horrible they are.

They have the show, they are talking of beginning house shows at the end of the year and finally seem serious about getting their DVDs in stores, all of which should tremendously help their buyrates.

See, I don't get excited about PLANS.I get excited about RESULTS. Hell, they can't draw fans to their PPV shows. Why in the hell do they think they could draw them to HOUSE SHOWS where NOTHING is likely to happen?

We're just saying that you give an incredible one-sided, totally pessimistic view of TNA.

It's the only side there. It'd be like expecting a ton of optimism involving Smackdown right now.

Even guys like Corey and Dynamite Kido, who have pointed out several of the flaws that you have, do so with out the this company will be dead in 6 months BULLSHIT that you like to include.

Find a "6 months" quote from me.

If you can't, shut the fuck up.

And then you wonder why everyone virtually ignores the few good points that you tend to make.  Its because we've all realized a long time ago that you are A TROLL.

One who's far more intelligent and knows his shit infinitely better than you can ever pray to.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Somebody ban this guy already. PLEASE.

Why not just lick my balls?

-=Mike

...If you can't handle somebody disagreeing with you, that's YOUR problem.

Why not just lick my balls?

Really mature way to handle an argument, Mike. Stuff like that is why people question why you're still around.

I can definitely handle you disagreeing with me....that's not a problem at all. I can defend my position with point after point just as you attempt to do. I just don't insult people's intelligence and try to make myself look smart with sad attempts at sarcastic humor.

Guest MikeSC
Really mature way to handle an argument, Mike.

Wasn't aware that "Ban this guy, please" constitutes an argument.

Stuff like that is why people question why you're still around.

Fortunately, the assumptions of people on the 'net don't play large in my life.

I can definitely handle you disagreeing with me....that's not a problem at all.  I can defend my position with point after point just as you attempt to do.  I just don't insult people's intelligence and try to make myself look smart with sad attempts at sarcastic humor.

Your posts are all serious?

Wow, I weep for you, then.

-=Mike

1) Their current World Champ has NEVER shown an ability to draw.

I hate that arguement.

People didn't stop watching WCW just because of Jeff Jarrett wearing the gold. They stopped watching because the product was pure shit and the contenders were lackluster. It was the same with Diesel, but everyone is quick to forget that. It's the same with Eddie now.

Then again, with Eddie, people actually use the excuse of the poor product because he's a great wrestler. Funny that.

Wasn't aware that "Ban this guy, please" constitutes an argument.

Did I just come on here and say ban this guy out of the blue, or where we discussing something prior to that? I thought so.

Anyway, yes, my posts are all serious, because I come here to discussion the ongoings of TNA, not to insult people for liking or not liking the same things I like. If we disagree, then fine, but I'm not going to call people stupid for not thinking the same way I do. That would be the difference between my posts and your posts. That and the fact that I don't come off as a pompous, arrogant know-it-all. I state things as opinion, you state them as fact, when your opinion doesn't constitute fact any more than anyone else's around here. Weep for me all you'd like.