TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Albums that are widely disliked that you enjoy

I got one that's pretty bad. KISS-Alive III. Now outside of maybe some of the hardcore KISS fans on the board, I don't think anyone likes this one. But come on, I'm no man to resist a rock version of I Was Made For Loving You. I think the only reason I like this one is because it's the first KISS Alive I heard. And off topic but are people really demanding an Alive IV.

I also use to frequently listen to the Sabrina the Teenage Witch Soundtrack four or five years back, particularly Sugar Ray's cover of Abracadabra. There I said it and I feel better for doing so.

sarah mclachlan's 'fumbling towards ecstasy' isn't too widely respected, and it's in my all-time top 5.

michael jackson - 'bad'. apparently most people think of this as downhill and inconsistent, but i think it's better than 'thriller'.

ace of base - 'the sign'. i can't help it. catchy as hell. "wheel of fortune" and "happy nation" are just fucking cool.

Unless you're totally emo, Death Cab For Cutie doesn't get a lot of love. Granted, they released an album last year that was as syrupy and as polished as many of their detractors have always claimed they were, DCFC's early stuff blended a flair for melody and thoughtful lyrics.

Their second full length, We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes, is extremely solid indie rock. The frontman, Ben Gibbard, was a pussy, sure, but he was a literary pussy; his lyrics weren't the trite whining of Dashboard Confessional. It's a shame his songs would later regress to having all the depth of a Hallmark card.

Guest mesepher

Rush albums between and including Signals and Presto (the synth stuff)

I really liked the T.a.t.u. CD. Great euro pop.

As a hardcore KISS fan, the line up on Alive III (Gene/Paul/Bruce Kulick/Eric Singer) was propably the best. That album kicked all kinds of ass, and their only studio album Revenge was really cool. Propably the least poppy, most metal KISS album.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
michael jackson - 'bad'. apparently most people think of this as downhill and inconsistent, but i think it's better than 'thriller'.

Bad might not be Michael's greatest album, but it has some great tunes on it, including the credible version of Smooth Criminal.

michael jackson - 'bad'.  apparently most people think of this as downhill and inconsistent, but i think it's better than 'thriller'.

Bad might not be Michael's greatest album, but it has some great tunes on it, including the credible version of Smooth Criminal.

Smooth Criminal has always been an average tune with a mind-blowing film clip to back it up. I love Bad, espicially the recently remastered version that has 'Streetwalker' on it, which rocks six kinds of stuff that rocks.

I find Bad & Thriller to be two vastly different albums. While Thriller was more creative and revolutionary, Bad just took the style at the time and made it look really, really good.

To each his own, but I love both albums.

UYI

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking
michael jackson - 'bad'.  apparently most people think of this as downhill and inconsistent, but i think it's better than 'thriller'.

Smooth Criminal has always been an average tune with a mind-blowing film clip to back it up. I love Bad, espicially the recently remastered version that has 'Streetwalker' on it, which rocks six kinds of stuff that rocks.

I find Bad & Thriller to be two vastly different albums. While Thriller was more creative and revolutionary, Bad just took the style at the time and made it look really, really good.

To each his own, but I love both albums.

UYI

I love (Michael's) Smooth Criminal as a song, and yes, it has an AMAZING filmclip.

Alien Ant Farm's most recent claim to fame was their cover of that song, and the fans of that band don't even appreciate it. But I can't say that I'd want Alien Ant Farm fans as Michael Jackson fans.

*Reminisces to History tour of '96...*

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Seemingly no one likes any Captain Beefheart or Dillinger Escape Plan, both of which are a couple favorites. Any album by them fits the bill.

I'll go with the poster that mentioned Metallica earlier...I started liking them from the Black album on, not too fond of earlier stuff, though there are a few songs that do rock...

i like some NSync and Backstreet Boy tunes, would that count in this thread?

I like Silverchair's "Diorama"

I like Creed, although "Weathered" wasn't the greatest

Transformers the Movie Soundtrack gets regular play in my CD players, is that one widely disliked?

Guest DR PHIL
Seemingly no one likes any Captain Beefheart or Dillinger Escape Plan, both of which are a couple favorites. Any album by them fits the bill.

Well, I know it was you that turned me on to the greatness of dillinger escape plan.

I've only heard "Ice cream for crow" by captain beefheart and it was "odd".

Please explain their music so I "get it" because I've got no idea where they're coming from.

Guest DR PHIL

Well, I know it was you that turned me on to the greatness of dillinger escape plan.

Please explain their music so I "get it" because I've got no idea where they're coming from.

Pearl Jam's Riot Act catches a lot of shit, but I quite liked it.

Three words: "Thumbing My Way"

Seriously, I don't get the hate for Riot Act. The hate for No Code I can understand, but I thought Riot Act, as well as Binaural (another album that PJ fans shit on) were great albums. They're not as good as Ten or Vs., but both are filled with great/catchy tracks.

It's a mix of garage rock, blues and free jazz. Though Captain Beefheart tossed off a couple of stabs at commercial rock in the mid-70s (unheard by me, though they're supposedly bad). Trout Mask Replica—77 minutes of atonal insanity (Beefheart mentor Zappa looks tame in comparison)—is his most well-known album, though you're just as likely to hate it as you would love it. His first album, Safe as Milk is a solid set of slightly off-kilter, though fairly accessible blues rock.

My favorite album of his, however, might be Lick My Decals Off, Baby, which was released after the Zappa-produced TMR. It's a lot like that album, though a little less abrasive and about half the length. Import vinyl (a copy of which I have) or a file-sharing service is the only way to go with this one; it was only in print on CD for like a day, and that was several years ago.

Guns N Roses "The Spaghetti Incident"

Disliked because it was originally supposed to be a "punk covers" album. "Since I Don't Have You", "Human Being" and "Hair Of The Dog" were not punk at all. Also disliked because of Axl covering a Charles Manson song "Look At Your Game Girl", which is actually pretty good. I also like "Ain't It Fun" and "Black Leather" a lot, and "Buick Makane/Big Dumb Sex" is one hell of a rocker.

I really, really like Three Days Grace's debut album. Same with Smile Empty Soul to a lesser degree.

I'm big on Korn's new album, "Untouchables."

Most people who have heard it dislike Twisted Method, but I find their shit to be pretty fun and harmless to listen to.

I'm big on Korn's new album, "Untouchables."

actually their newest album is "Take A Look In The Mirror", anotehr album panned by the music world which I think is pretty decent...they've lost a step since Life Is Peachy, but I own every Korn album and I'mnot afraid to admit it...

Guest Vitamin X

I suppose Origin by Evanescence and Serart would count here, though both are largely unknown and those that probably would have heard of them I think would either dislike them or like Serart because it's artsy-type shit. 'Avant-garde rock' they call it.

Load and Reload by Metallica. Honestly if Load had been released by any other band it might have gotten some respect, but coming from Metallica it turned off the fans because it was so different.

Take a Look in the Mirror by Korn is a pretty fun album.

Load and Reload by Metallica. Honestly if Load had been released by any other band it might have gotten some respect, but coming from Metallica it turned off the fans because it was so different.

Take a Look in the Mirror by Korn is a pretty fun album.

King Nothing is in the top 3 Metallica songs that i love list...and i think the fact that it's metallica is why people hate Load and Reload just sucks...they wanted to play something diffirent...big deal...we can assume it was for money all day long but we don't know that for a fact so either like it or hate it, but don't speculate on what you don't really know and judge them on it, regardless of what that schmuck Lars has done in the past...

The only thing I miss on recent Korn albums are when Jon Davis does his little Tazmanian Devil fits, i got a kick out of them...lyrics-wise, Korn is stale, but I dig their music and I feel they actually EXPANDED musically on this album, better guitar riffs mostly, different sounds for them...still TOO much bass slapping though but it's Fieldy's gimmick...

Another album that's disliked that I just remembered (Coincidentally also KISS related) are the KISS solo albums. Gene Simmons is quite ecclectic and features several great songs. Ace Frehley's is a pretty good hard rock record, Paul Stanley's album is fairly innoffesnive. The only one that's bad is Peter Criss', which features a boatload of Beth ripoffs and is a soft rock album. I mean he is deemed the soft, sensitive member of KISS (after all he's a cat) but come on Peter put a few rockers on there!

The more I listen to Load, the more I like it. I find different little knicks that I hadn't heard in previous listenings, whic is always good. However, the more I listen to Re-Load, the more my dislike grows. I just can't find anything god about that album, though "The memory Remains" is a pretty decent little song.