TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Guest Anglesault
The newest MLB column is up, featuring the worst teams of the last 25 years.

Last year at the Old timers game, they had one Yankee team that probably could have beat the Tigers.

Jackson, Mattingly, Boggs, Leyritz, and I'm pretty sure Guidry and Abbott were on it. They'd at least make it competitive.

Edited by Anglesault

The newest MLB column is up, featuring the worst teams of the last 25 years.

A note on the '82 Twins who made honorable mention. That was the first year for alot of the nucleus of the 87 championship.

Here's my question after today's game. Is John Smoltz ready to be a Cub yet? Holy crap, I figured when Farnsworth didn't jeopardize a four-run lead, that Hawkins would have to and with two out he allows two runners to score. Borowski can't get it done. Hawkins isn't bad, but he's not contender-caliber. And I've been conditioned to elicit a frightened yelp for Farnsworth's mound appearances. Never fails. It's a lot of fun at parties.

Vicente Padilla left his rehab start after 33 pitches with elbow tenderness. Not a good sign. Rumblings for Gavin Floyd are really going to heat up now. I would like to see Madson get a true shot at the job, but if they move Madson out of the pen Wade will just go get another Mike Williams caliber arm to replace him. That I don't need.

Guest Anglesault

Yankee haters all over the country are calling that pitch last night a ball.

Mad Dog Chris Russo says he can understand umps sometimes giving the call a little off the plate, but that was obscene.

I have a feeling you haven't heard the last of that blown call, and if someone FINALLY decides to do something about the umps, that call will be a big piece of evidence.

That pitch missed the plate by INCHES. Big f'n deal. There is no harder job in umpiring/officiating than calling balls and strikes. If its not Eric Gregg calling the NLCS, there's not much you can do to improve it.

Guest Anglesault
That pitch missed the plate by INCHES. Big f'n deal. There is no harder job in umpiring/officiating than calling balls and strikes.

If he can't fucking handle it, he can fucking quit!

That was the THIRD blown call in the last 1.1 inning that useless sack of shit made, and if you bothered to watch the game, until "GOD" Gagne showed up, that exact pitch was called a ball on both sides. Ask Jose Lima.

Guest Anglesault
Jack Clark and Todd Worrell just called and said "big fucking deal."

See if anyone gets the reference.

Oh, I get it now. I thought they were on some radio show.

Should I be associating those guys with something?

I think Tony Tarasco would have been a better reference here.

Hmmm good point.

Should I be associating those guys with something?

Clark and Worrell were involved in arguably the worst call in baseball history. It was Game 6 of the '85 World Series between the Cardinals and Royals with St. Louis up 3 games to 2. Cardinals were up 1-0 going into the bottom of the 9th with Worrell facing Jorge Orta. Orta hit a ground ball to Clark at first, he flipped to Worrell who ran over to cover first. Worrell stepped on the bag and beat Orta by a full step but umpire Don Denkinger called him safe even though every replay clearly showed Orta was out. It sparked a Royals rally and they won 2-1, then they would would crush the Cardinals 11-0 in Game 7. The call probably cost the Cardinals a world championship.

Guest Anglesault

Ah. Didn't watch that World Series. My spirits were utterly crushed that year.

That being said, I do know that play or at least of it. I have a lunatic Cardinal fan friend.

Mentioning Orta or Denkinger would have rang bells.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...ports-headlines

Orioles get pitcher Grimsley in trade

Deal sends Bautista to K.C.

The Associated Press

Originally published June 21, 2004, 10:41 PM EDT

The Orioles got the right-handed reliever they desperately needed, acquiring Jason Grimsley in a trade with the Kansas City Royals on Monday.

Baltimore gave up right-handed prospect Denny Bautista for Grimsley, who immediately agreed to a contract extension through 2005.

up-pov_lil_jon.jpg

"YEAAAAAAAAH!"

Grimsley smashed a chair against the locker room wall after hearing that Curtis Leskanic had been released by the Royals last week, so this one's no surprise.

I'm absolutely stunned that the locker room atmosphere has turned from Pena's ultra-enthusiasm into near-mutiny with Baird's ultimatums. Just one of the most painful seasons in recent Royal history, in my opinion.