TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kane Fan

NWA

4. The Fabulous Freebirds vs. Manny Fernandez, Ivan Koloff, Paul Jones. Didn't like this one.

Staravenger, who wrestled as the faces in this match? It seems like an odd mix of 6 heels fighting.

Guest Staravenger
4. The Fabulous Freebirds vs. Manny Fernandez, Ivan Koloff, Paul Jones. Didn't like this one.

Staravenger, who wrestled as the faces in this match? It seems like an odd mix of 6 heels fighting.

The Freebirds (the original threesome of Gordy, Roberts, and Hayes). Quick match, but they were pretty over.

Another overlooked match from 1989 is from the Great American Bash. It has three great matches on there. Sting vs the Great Muta, Steamboat vs Luger: Luger in his best match outside of Flair, and a Flair vs Terry Funk match as well. Flair's entrance was unbelievable for the time period.

In my opinion it is the one of the best PPV of all time.

Guest Staravenger

Scott Keith I believe says the same thing, although it's just a matter of opinion. I won't deny though that the three major singles matches were very good-great.

Guest Staravenger

Just watched one of the most....unique matches in NWA history. The Tower of Doom from Great American Bash 1988. It was a three level steel cage, with the cages getting smaller the higher up.

The match was Jimmy Garvin, Ronnie Garvin, The Road Warriors, Steve Williams vs. Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotundo/a, The Russian Assassin, Ivan Koloff, Al Perez, with Precious in control of the door in the bottom cage. The thing was no one knew if she was still with Jimmy, or brainwashed by Sullivan. Also she had on a smoking top...oh sorry, got carried away.

Anyway, the match is entertaining, although it would be a little difficult rating a match like this. Also, it hints at Ronnie Garvins heel turn as he's in first and is out in about 3:00, and leaves ringside while all the others stay. Later, he came out during Rhodes/Windham for the US Title, and knocked Rhodes out, costing him the match.

Loss, if you go to wrestletapes.net, you'll find the Harley Race/Ricky Steamboat encounter. I suggest to get both Race compilations, because he's one of the most underlooked legends throughout the 'net.

Just watched one of the most....unique matches in NWA history. The Tower of Doom from Great American Bash 1988. It was a three level steel cage, with the cages getting smaller the higher up.

That sounds an awful lot like the Ready to Rumble cage that was used in WCW about 10-12 yrs later, no?

Guest Staravenger

That sounds an awful lot like the Ready to Rumble cage that was used in WCW about 10-12 yrs later, no?

It was also in WCCW first. Don't let the 2000 match fool you, it's very entertaining brawl with good suspense between Jimmy & Sullivan.

Flair/Race is terrible, IMO. If you're accustomed to modern wrestling you'll probably hate it. A slow brawl with Flair actually hitting a (sloppy) pin cover off the top rope. Special referee hurt the match, as well. But still, it's the ME of the first Starrcade, so it's got significance.

The "real" feel to the match due to its buildup makes it watchable.

I completely agree - I've never felt the love for Flair/Race from Starrcade '83. I love old school wrestling (especially NWA) - but I was (and still am) completely bored to tears by this match. I know that I'll catch some flack for that opinion, but I'm sorry, it's just a dull, plodding match. And Kiniski was possibly the worst Special Referee in history, he added NOTHING to that match.

Guest Staravenger

Kiniski took AWAY from the match I think. Probably THE most over-rated match ever. How can people say ***** for it? It's VERY slow, dull, and Kiniski ruined several parts of the match. Usually this would equal a *** match, because the wrestling was fine, yet boring.