TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

28 Weeks Later...

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
Fox Searchlight is developing a sequel to 28 Days Later, the Danny Boyle-directed horror film that became a fall hit in 2002, reports Variety. The trade says that the tentative title is 28 Weeks Later and that the studio is in talks with Rowan Joffe (BBC's Last Resort) to write the script.

Boyle is not expected to direct the sequel, though he and screenwriter Alex Garland likely will take producing roles alongside the first film's producer, Andrew Macdonald.

In the original, a powerful virus is unleashed on the British public following a raid on a primate research facility by animal rights activists. Transmitted in a drop of blood and devastating within seconds, the virus locks those infected into a permanent state of murderous rage. Within 28 days the country is overwhelmed and a handful of survivors begin their attempts to salvage a future, little realizing that the deadly virus is not the only thing that threatens them.

The low-budget film, starring Cillian Murphy, grossed $45 million in the U.S. and north of $25 million overseas.

Well, the title sounds very bad unless this is going to be a film about a couple trying to live out their lives and eventually having a baby in the zombie filled world of London.

Weird. I just saw some special features on my 28 Days Later DVD Saturday night.

Thank God for subtitles -- finding out what that pilot says at the end of the movie (I couldn't understand what he was saying, so I turned on the subtitles and read it) totally changed what I thought the ending was...

Guest El Satanico

I like the title, it's fitting and better than 28 Days Later 2: The Aftermath or some other typical sequel title.

I'm glad to see the film makers of the first film will be involved with the sequel. The movie shouldn't have a sequel, but I'll still go see the sequel.

I just hope the style and grit of the original won't be totally lost in the sequel. That was one of the big appeals to me about the original.

Guest Fook

The question is, which of the multiple endings to the original will they say is the "real" one?

Guest Dynamite Kido

If Danny Boyle isn't going to direct this one, I'd be very curious to see who he would choose to do it.

last semester, i shot a cheap little student film that was called 'part one'. when i told people the title, they would invariably say, "well, that leaves room for a sequel, doesn't it?" and i would invariably say, "yeah, 'part one: two'."

that's what this title reminds me of.

That's a good name for a sequel of that movie.

But, they shouldn't just focus on London. They should try to implement like a view from certain points of the world, like 28 Weeks Later in North America, Europe, etc. But, if indeed the theory in 28 Days Later is true (ONLY London is having this problem, not the rest of the world), then this plan that I made would suck...

Guest El Satanico
The question is, which of the multiple endings to the original will they say is the "real" one?

The theatrical ending is the only ending that matters, the other endings shown on the DVD were alternate endings that they didn't use.

The theory that the virus was contained in that area is most likely the truth. Now, that doesn't mean they were able to contain it completely. A monkey or human could've snuck out before the area was sealed off.

I'm not sure what approach they can take with a sequel, but hopefully someone can come up with an interesting script.

It would be interesting if Boyle talked to Romero about directing it, since so much of the original was inspired by Romero zombie films.

I just hope the style and grit of the original won't be totally lost in the sequel. That was one of the big appeals to me about the original.

I am sure Searchlight will have no problem using DVCams again to save some money.

I like it. Im betting the sequal would have someone from another country going there to investigate the virus, they get stranded and fun stuff happens.

The only feasable explanation I can see for a sequel would be if one of the planes escaping from the UK in the scene mentioned early in the movie had an Infected in the cargo bay.

That way, the plane could land as normal because the pilot would be okay, but the Infected would either escape the airport or infect everyone on the plane, who would then overwhelm people in the airport and infect them, etc.

If it's anything other than that, it will probably come off as a HUGE ripoff of Day Of The Dead or Jurassic Park. IE- "Hey, let's keep this infected guy as a pet then charge people admission to see him tear apart small animals!"

The theatrical ending is the only ending that matters, the other endings shown on the DVD were alternate endings that they didn't use.

Good point, except that there was a theatrical re-release of 28 Days Later that had one of the new endings.

Overall, if they go with Teke's plot point of the Infected somehow stowing onto one of those planes, they could take it from there and easily run with it for 100 minutes or so. However, Boyle brought a very distinctive visual sense to the first one so, if he's not on board, I think this one's going to lose a lot of steam.

Guest El Satanico

Good point, except that there was a theatrical re-release of 28 Days Later that had one of the new endings.

Boyle brought a very distinctive visual sense to the first one so, if he's not on board, I think this one's going to lose a lot of steam.

There was?

Boyle is still attached to the sequel, so there's hope that the look of the film won't change drastically. However, a different approach could also work.

Actually - it was re-released with an alternate ending, after the credits. I really don't think that counts.

I kinda wanted to see 28 Day Earlier...which would start with the monkeys and pretty much end where the dude gets out of bed. You'd see everything that happened between that time.

I kinda wanted to see 28 Day Earlier...which would start with the monkeys and pretty much end where the dude gets out of bed. You'd see everything that happened between that time.

Definitely. I'd at least like an animated version of that. Or an expansion of the comic that comes with the soundtrack. :)