TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest 5.0Fanatic

I'm getting a guitar...

Guest 5.0Fanatic

So, I know nothing about guitars, only that I want to get one this weekend and start to learn how to play. I just want something cheap, but reliable. I'll probably end up getting a used Accoustic one. Is there anything I should know before I go look at them i.e. what to look for, what brand...any help would be appreciated :headbang:

Guest FrigidSoul

You could get a Fender Squire and small amp for less than what an accoustic will cost.

I was just gonna suggest the Squire. If you've got a Guitar Center near you, they sell a big combo pack, amp, bag, all the trimmings for around $250.

Guest FrigidSoul

Wal-Mart's guitars are often shit. They leave them on the back walls where children can just reach up and gank them. I saw one of their guitars on the floor with a big chip missing from the bridge and a few of the strings snapped. I wouldn't go there.

The guitars you're referring to are the open case entries, though, and they don't carry those anymore (at least not to my knowledge). I've just seen two different stores with a closed-case box of all the materials, so that's why I recommended it.

It goes without saying, though - look at your guitar before you buy it.

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

My first guitar was a second-hand GT which came with the basics, including an Ashton amp, guitar stand, etc. for around $300.

If it's your first guitar, I'd advise you to not spend too much, but don't get screwed out of what you need.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Don't you dare buy a Squire. Pieces of shit, they are. They come out of fender-owned gigantic factories in Indonesia and Korea, and have little to no concern for quality. The intonation will probably be fucked up taking it out of the box brand new. I've known plenty of people that got these, or were given them as gifts. They aren't even worth learning on for the price.

I've long been pimping the merits of the Yamaha Pacifica series. Sure, they're imports too (anything is in this price range), but the electronics are far superior, and the action is good.

Also don't buy an import BC Rich. They exist solely to rip off teenagers that want to play metal.

For acoustics, I don't know where to tell you to go, there. I inherited a 1951 Martin Classical when I was younger, so I've never shopped for one.

Guest FrigidSoul

The Squire I got was made in Mexico. Worked fine too and only cost $150.

Guest Quik

Old Squires were made in MExico. New ones are made in Indonesia. I had one, yeah it was a peice of shit, but as far as a first instrument goes it's a great thing to have.

And BC Rich makes the lamest guitars ever. Fucking metal-jock steakheads actually giving them a market.

Guest 5.0Fanatic

Thanks for the help. If I end up getting a Squire for cheap, will it at least hold up untill I get the hang of playing and tto the point where I can decide if I want to really get into it and get a good guitar? Or is it just going to fall apart after a weeks...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Also, the Pacifica series throws a decent humbucker in there, which is better than the el-cheapo trio of single coils on a Squire strat copy.

Guest Quik

A Squire isn't going to fall apart on you. The downfalls of the Squire are the type of wood they use for the body (ply wood), the pickups (which suck, long story short), and the neck (it's thin. SOme people like thin necks, I prefer thicker ones, like 70's Fender necks). The first two factors are based on sound alone; and if you're just learning how to play, then tone and sustain aren't really a factor. The neck is entirely based on personal preference. Intonation and set-up aren't that big of a deal, you can easily fix the intonation. You'll probly fix the intonation on your guitar(s) in the future (you might as well learn now. No point in paying a tech $50 to do something you can do yourself).

So yeah, to sum it up, buy a Squire. I've played Yamaha's and I think they suck more than the Squire. Granted, I'm not the end-all be-all decision maker here, but I urge you to get a Squire package.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Heh. I'd go with the Yamaha for all the same reasons. Starter guitars are about all the same, though, Just play a few and see what you like. This thread's an example of how people's tastes vary greatly, even if they're all looking for the same qualities.

For acoustics, I don't know where to tell you to go, there. I inherited a 1951 Martin Classical when I was younger, so I've never shopped for one.

My God. Do you have any idea how many players out there would KILL for that guitar? You sir, are the man.

Guest FrigidSoul

As far as Yamaha goes my former friend in high school had a bass made by them that I really enjoyed.

If I ever picked up another guitar I'd want a Jackson Kelly

Guest Agent of Oblivion

My God. Do you have any idea how many players out there would KILL for that guitar? You sir, are the man.

Oh, I know all about it. My grandpa bought it on his son (my dad's) first birthday, but my dad doesn't really play guitar anymore, so it's basically mine. It's just a little weathered, but it still sounds rich and gorgeous. I rarely play it for obvious reasons.

After using a squire to cut your teeth and practice, what do you suggest going with for a mid-high end guitar/amp? Feel free to add in any extras you think may be important, like pedals,effects and whatnot)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I can recommend some amplification. Guitars are a really picky thing to try to sell someone on, but amps are a lot more universal. For my money, the only way to go is to make a hodgepodge rack on top of some PA speakers. That's what I did most recently.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how loud you want to be. The bigger you want, the more you should stay away from the monstrous Peavey and Ampeg guitar/bass cabs, in my opinion. PA equipment is sturdier and more versatile, and usually a shitload cheaper.

The trick is to make the majority of your investment in your rack. Power amp, preamp, and a solid cabinet is the backbone of what you need, the former two being the most important. I've got a 1000 watt Carvin PA stack that fucking kills, total pricetag for the pile is right around eleven hundred bucks, which is a hell of a lot less than a Peavey, Ampeg, or any other big-name amp company would've soaked me for less power. I priced Peavey's biggest thing available, and it cost more for only 750 watts, and with bass amps more wattage=good.

The classic midway point for most people is a 4-10" half stack cabinet, with a comparable head to push it. That's usually more than enough for an average local gig, party, or just playing loudly in your house.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

There are countless thousands of dvds, videos, and books on this subject. I think a good way to learn is to cut your teeth on songs, since that's what you want to be doing immediately anyway, right? Learn the theory as you go, and never quit practicing scales and chord changes. Most music stores have books and things with the sheet music/tabs to anyone popular, really. Pick up something by who you like, and learn the songs within to really get a sense of how to actually play something, and not just switch chords and do drills and things. It's a lot more satisfying, I think. Keeps people interested.

www.olga.net has boatloads of tablature and chords

Oh, and what style of Squire did you get? If you've just got the strat copy with the three single coils, don't be hoping for that thick crunchy metal sound..

Guest 5.0Fanatic

Yeah its the strat copy. I actually got bored playing chords since I was playing for like an hour and a half a day so I started to learn some songs that only really required 2 different strings, so far I've kinda got the beggining of Shinobi vs. Hidden Dragon down and Lifehouses Hanging by a moment has a pretty easy intro.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Promise the world you won't try going crazy learning Stairway, then playing it constantly when you can.

Learn some punk stuff. It's more or less how I started, and it can't really be done wrong.

Guest 5.0Fanatic

Nah, I wouldnt even try that, just trying Enter Sandman is hard enough for me right now. Theres no punk at Olga, is there a good site for it?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No kidding, it's where I learned a lot of my Dead Kennedys, Misfits, and Subhumans stuff before I got to where I could pick stuff out by ear.