TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Update On Kurt Angle's In Ring Return

Many backstage feel that Kurt Angle is milking his injury for all it's worth, working the rest of the wrestlers and management in the process. Those angry with Angle point out that he worked through WrestleMania, then took the following months (traditionally the slowest months of the wrestling year) off. Now he is gearing up for a return at Summerslam for another big payday.

Credit: PWTorch.com

Wow, this is excalty why the WWE morale is bad. Kurt Angle does not seem like the person to do somthing like this. And I think it is wrong for the WWE to accuse Angle for this unless their is any prove towards it.

With the lack of morale and guys getting screwed thanks to low payoffs for shows, I can kind of see them being upset. To them Angle's made tons of money and in his current condition should just give up wrestling. By him coming back, injuries and all, he's kind of taking their spot and money.

I do know that Angle is a much better worker and promo guy than the majority of the people on the Smackdown roster, but I can see why they'd be upset.

Guest Choken One

I can see it being the STORYLINE but These wrestlers are just bitter and they see Angle getting airtime and pay without taking bumps and that he is suddenly coming back for the big payday show...i can understand them having doubts.

Its still complete bullshit though

And Hogan's a legend. He's from an era where different things amounted to overness, and he succeeded like pretty much no one has. However, he never had as much charisma as Kurt Angle. Hey brother. Say your prayers, brother. You're going down brother. In this era, he can't stick around for six months without getting stale.

...You have got to be shitting me.

Angle: WOOO! Im an olympic gold medalist! I drink milk! Woo!

Face it, there will never be a "Best of Kurt Angle Promos" tape that lasts longer than three seconds.

Yeah, that might have been his character for his first six months in the WWE, but his promos are way better than that now. He can start off making fun of somebody, and then turn it around in a second and get deadly serious about how he's going to make them tap. He can do weird off-the-wall comedy better than anyone. (See the Austin skits during the invasion.) And he can still be a serious force and give you goosebumps about an upcoming match.

If you want to say that Austin or Rock have more charisma than Kurt Angle, I can see that. When they're motivated, they do. Even Flair, I could agree with. But Hogan? No way. He just got a god push from Vince, and then the best angle in history when he turned heel. His promos are so goddamned stupid that they make me want to tear my hair out. And not just so I can be bald too, brother. Granted, Angle's not quite as exciting in the evil GM role, as when he was an active wrestler. The same thing happened to Austin when he was playing Bischoff's sidekick. But just for pure talent on the stick, Angle's certainly the best on the Smackdown side, and possibly the best in the WWE.

Guest Perkoff

I don't think that the wrestling fans are competent enough to evaluate Angle's health. Leave this to the doctors. Time will tell if he's in condition to wrestle.

BTW, Angle has carried weaker opponents to great matches. Do you guys remember the feud with Edge? OK, his psychology isn't always 100%. He's not as good as Chris Benoit, but don't compare him to Hogan...

Guest Dazed
And plus, Hogan's matches when he was carried by guys like Hansen and Inoki aren't any worse then Angle's when he was carried by guys like Benoit and Austin.

Your a f*cking idiot.

End of story.

If you're going to discuss this, respond reasonably. Otherwise, don't respond.

If you want to say that Austin or Rock have more charisma than Kurt Angle, I can see that. When they're motivated, they do. Even Flair, I could agree with. But Hogan? No way. He just got a god push from Vince, and then the best angle in history when he turned heel.

Maybe so, but out of those five guys you mentioned I'd say Angle was the least charismatic. God push or not, Hogan had the charisma in-ring and out to carry the gimmick. Hogan got the people behind him during matches. It wasn't just the god push that did it. Hogan knew how to play his role well, and more times than not did so.

His promos are so goddamned stupid that they make me want to tear my hair out.

I'd rather watch a Hogan promo than the majority of Face Angle promos.

Hogan, Rock, Austin and Flair all worked great as both heels and faces. Angle has never been that great as a face.

He had matches with Kane as good as the one at Bad Blood, during the Invasion era. Don't forget he had one of the best Smackdown matches of all-time againest The Undertaker.

Hogan, Rock, Austin and Flair all worked great as both heels and faces. Angle has never been that great as a face.

Watch the Stone Cold/Angle fued from end of the Invasion to Summerslam. Angle was a great face, until the WWF writers basically f*cked up the whole fued. Then I thought he was a pretty damn good face, when he returned from surgey. He was clearly over with the fans, and I think he is the main reason why John Cena is so over right now because of their fued in October.

Guest Staravenger

Too bad Angle can't sell a move for longer than three seconds to save his life. Even the time Austin used a piledriver on him outside the ring he no sold it by the end of the show. He's worse than fucking R.V.D, but at least R.V.D has an excuse.

Danielson is above Angle.

Duckquack is a fucking imbecile if he openly supports Angle wrestling himself to a Wheelchair.

Do you really want him to be our generation's Dynamite Kid?

Kurt Angle is 35 years old and has a young beautiful Daughter and wonderful supportive sexy wife and has countless avenues for this future beyond the spectrum of professional wrestling.

Anyone that supports a Kurt Angle return isn't a fan of Kurt Angle.

To insinuate that Angle is even remotely close to posessing the skills DK had is an insult to the mans legacy.

Guest Staravenger
What's RVD's excuse?? Dope??

*Cue lame after school special music*

Drugs are no excuse for anything.

I actually meant his moveset. When people work his legs, it's probably the dumbest thing ever considering he does a lot of moves where he needs to get high...elevation and to springboard off the ropes.

Too bad Angle can't sell a move for longer than three seconds to save his life. Even the time Austin used a piledriver on him outside the ring he no sold it by the end of the show. He's worse than fucking R.V.D, but at least R.V.D has an excuse.

Kurt Angle isn't perfect. But why always look at wrestlers negatives? That's all it seems you guys do.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
And plus, Hogan's matches when he was carried by guys like Hansen and Inoki aren't any worse then Angle's when he was carried by guys like Benoit and Austin.

Your a f*cking idiot.

End of story.

No, not really.

Watch a Hulk Hogan match from the era, and stop posting like a little bitch.

Your a f*cking idiot.

End of story.

No, not really.

A) I've seen them. I'm a huge Hogan mark, and has seen almost everything that has to do with him.

Those matches with Stan Hansen, and Antonio Inoki are good no doubt. But can't even compare to the classics Angle had with Benoit and Austin.

B) To even say Hogan is even half the wrestler Kurt Angle is, is an insult not only to Kurt Angle, but to wrestling fans and pro wrestling it's self. Hogan was a great entertainer but a below average wrestler. Kurt Angle is great a both. Don't even compare Hogan's wrestling skills to Angle. It's like comparing American beer to Canadian beer.

C) Kurt Angle was not carried by Steve Austin and Chris Benoit. Watch the Benoit matches again moron. Espically Wrestlemania X7, RAW Cage Match, Unforgiven and Royal Rumble. Kurt Angle clearly had as much to do with those matches being great as Benoit did. They both put on a classic, not just Benoit and Austin putting on classics by their selfs. You want to see a true carry job, go watch Bulldog/Hart, Summerslam 92, go watch Benoit/Sid, Souled Out 1999. The matches Angle had with Benoit and Austin do not deverse to be classified under "One worker making a classic". That's an insult to Angle's accomplishments.

D) If Angle is as horrible as you guys are saying, then why is the man praised by wrestlers past and present? I respect these guys opinions alot more then you nerds. You guys are just trying to make yourself look smart, by bashing wrestlers who totally do not deverse it. Even Bret Hart said if he can work a fued with any current wrestler today it would be Kurt Angle.

Guest Staravenger

Because Angle verbally blows everyone. Hoe about the 500 times he's kissed Bret's ass in the last 2 years?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Your a f*cking idiot.

End of story.

No, not really.

A) I've seen them. I'm a huge Hogan mark, and has seen almost everything that has to do with him.

Those matches with Stan Hansen, and Antonio Inoki are good no doubt. But can't even compare to the classics Angle had with Benoit and Austin.

B) To even say Hogan is even half the wrestler Kurt Angle is, is an insult not only to Kurt Angle, but to wrestling fans and pro wrestling it's self. Hogan was a great entertainer but a below average wrestler. Kurt Angle is great a both. Don't even compare Hogan's wrestling skills to Angle. It's like comparing American beer to Canadian beer.

C) Kurt Angle was not carried by Steve Austin and Chris Benoit. Watch the Benoit matches again moron. Espically Wrestlemania X7, RAW Cage Match, Unforgiven and Royal Rumble. Kurt Angle clearly had as much to do with those matches being great as Benoit did. They both put on a classic, not just Benoit and Austin putting on classics by their selfs. You want to see a true carry job, go watch Bulldog/Hart, Summerslam 92, go watch Benoit/Sid, Souled Out 1999. The matches Angle had with Benoit and Austin do not deverse to be classified under "One worker making a classic". That's an insult to Angle's accomplishments.

D) If Angle is as horrible as you guys are saying, then why is the man praised by wrestlers past and present? I respect these guys opinions alot more then you nerds. You guys are just trying to make yourself look smart, by bashing wrestlers who totally do not deverse it. Even Bret Hart said if he can work a fued with any current wrestler today it would be Kurt Angle.

Hulk Hogan isn't half the wrestler is. He was more than half. See, there's more to being a great wrestler then just knowing 36 different submission holds. The fact is, Kurt Angle had three good years. That's it. And even then he could never really tell a story on his own: watch the Three Way at Vengeance or the Iron Man with Brock, he's out performed in both by men considered to be lesser workers. He forgets to sell, pops right back up to hit his spots, and shows a startling lack of move set.

Hogan's 10 minute match with Lesnar at 50 was better than anything Angle did with him after Mania. That says a ton.

Hogan is under-rated by the IWC. Hulk Hogan brought an aura to his matches that made them feel like an event. I always see the argument about Vince making Hogan because of the right timing and right place. If this was the case, why didn't Vince Mcmahon duplicate the Hoganesque levels of the 80's when he tried it with Ultimate Warrior, Lex Luger, and Diesel? The reason being that Hogan had "it" and those other guys didn't. Hogan regained his top star status when he turned heel in the nWo. Hogan just knew what to do and when which made him have impeccable timing. Look, what he did in 2002. Some might think it was all nostalgic related, but watch Hogan/Rock. Hogan helped to work the crowd to cheer in his favour since it was his return at Mania in the skydome. Hogan knew what he was doing.

Ric Flair ripped on Ultimate Warrior by saying that he was the one guy he couldn't work his "work with a broomstick" enigma. However, Hogan and Warrior got a good match at WM VI. Hogan had to have something to do with that. If people can make the argument that Vince gave Hogan the monster push, then they would have to do the same with Kurt Angle. Angle got the super rookie season push where he won all the titles(Diesel '94 push). It can be argued he got the strap before he really deserved it. In fact, Angle stated on OTR in 2001, that some in the back felt that way and he understood it, but disagreed since he brought his Olympic credentials to the biz. Regardless, Hogan became the champ in 1984 because Vince capitalized on Hogan's popularity gaining from the AWA, Japan, and the Rocky movie. Vince knew Hogan was the right man to push. The same with Austin. Vince didn't make Austin. Austin had the character people wanted and Vince marketed and promoted him appropriately with "attitude".

Hulk Hogan isn't half the wrestler is. He was more than half. See, there's more to being a great wrestler then just knowing 36 different submission holds. The fact is, Kurt Angle had three good years. That's it. And even then he could never really tell a story on his own: watch the Three Way at Vengeance or the Iron Man with Brock, he's out performed in both by men considered to be lesser workers. He forgets to sell, pops right back up to hit his spots, and shows a startling lack of move set.

Hogan's 10 minute match with Lesnar at 50 was better than anything Angle did with him after Mania. That says a ton.

Angle does not know how to tell a story in the ring? I suggest you watch him Vs. Kane on Smackdown during the Invasion era, or the Taker match on Smackdown last year, or Royal Rumble 03, or Angle/Lesnar WM 19, or Angle/Cena No Mercy.

Clearly your talking out of your ass, and making up excuses to prove your point.

Angle was outperformed by Lesnar? If anything, HE CARRIED Lesnar and made him look like a million bucks. The Summerslam match as a very good match, and the Ironman match was very good also(Problay woulda been better w/o commercial breaks).

Lack of moveset? Right there your talking out of your ass. It's arguable that Angle has one of the best movesets in the business today. But even if he has lack of a moveset, HHH never had a great moveset, but he was able to make ****+ matches with the limited moveset he had.

You state "He forgets to sell, pops right back up to hit his spots" so does The Rock and Shawn Michaels. Yet they are/were great wrestlers. No one is saying that Angle is the greatest seller in the world. But you guys degrading him like this, isn't deversed.

Because Angle verbally blows everyone. Hoe about the 500 times he's kissed Bret's ass in the last 2 years?

Oh cry me a river. You guys make the lamest excuses.

Some might think it was all nostalgic related, but watch Hogan/Rock. Hogan helped to work the crowd to cheer in his favour since it was his return at Mania in the skydome. Hogan knew what he was doing.

You have no nerve telling me how big the Rock/Hogan match was. I was there live with the crowd cheering on Hogan.

I know what Hogan is capable of, and I am one of his biggest fans. My post wasn't directed at bashing Hogan. I love Hogan. But to say Hogan is a more talented wrestler then Kurt Angle is absurb. Hogan knows how the work the crowd better then Angle, but talented wrestler? No way.

Guest Staravenger

Examples of Angle's great in-ring psychology in those matches? Just saying random shit means nothing.

Here, I can do it too. Rodan vs. King Kong from Japan 1977 had great in ring psychology.

Some might think it was all nostalgic related, but watch Hogan/Rock. Hogan helped to work the crowd to cheer in his favour since it was his return at Mania in the skydome. Hogan knew what he was doing.

You have no nerve telling me how big the Rock/Hogan match was. I was there live with the crowd cheering on Hogan.

I know what Hogan is capable of, and I am one of his biggest fans. My post wasn't directed at bashing Hogan. I love Hogan. But to say Hogan is a more talented wrestler then Kurt Angle is absurb. Hogan knows how the work the crowd better then Angle, but talented wrestler? No way.

Being a hardcore pro wrestling fan that lives in Toronto I also attended WM 18 and was cheering Hogan over Rock. I never once said you bashed Hogan. I said that the IWC under-rates Hogan. I also never stated Hogan was technically superior to Kurt Angle either. Being a pro wrestler a large aspect of doing a good job is working the crowd and making them care and very few came on Hogan's level at his absolute best. Angle said that he had to completely do a reversal of training for pro wrestling since it's less introvert than the amateurs. You got to have synergy with the in-ring aspect and the audience. I'm not even saying Angle sucks or anything, but that Angle is not really superior to Hogan in terms of overall pro wrestling ability. It's apples and oranges anyways. Hogan is a brawler.

Examples of Angle's great in-ring psychology in those matches? Just saying random shit means nothing.

I never said Angle had great psychology, but its certainly good.

Take the Kane match for example, he spent most of the match working on the ankle leading up to the Ankle lock. It was a very good match, infact I rated it ***1/2.

Guest krazykat72
To insinuate that Angle is even remotely close to posessing the skills DK had is an insult to the mans legacy.

I love Dynamite Kid, but he wasn't an incredible seller at times himself. He did it better than Angle does, but lets not act as if we're comparing someone like Billy Gunn to him. I think the Angle comparison is good. 2 guys with chronic health problems who work a high risk style and have had lots of good-great matches.

-Paul Jacobi-

Watch the Stone Cold/Angle fued from end of the Invasion to Summerslam. Angle was a great face, until the WWF writers basically f*cked up the whole fued. Then I thought he was a pretty damn good face, when he returned from surgey. He was clearly over with the fans, and I think he is the main reason why John Cena is so over right now because of their fued in October.

He was over because he was Jim Duggan v2 rather than Kurt Angle. They played up the pro-American gimmick right around September 01 and he got the overness.

Fact is, as a face, Angle is more often than not excruciatingly corny...and not in a funny way. He works matches as a face well enough, but not the mic.