TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This (Half) Week in Baseball

Homers by Ortiz and Damon are too little, too late right now. Damon's hit two, so that helps my fantasy team at least.

I was watching a movie, so I didn't see, but I guess Wake getting a line drive to the back kind of ended his night?

Looks like the Phils and Mets will be postponed tomorrow, there are supposed to be storms all day in Flushing. I don't think they will even wait it out, they will probably cancel the game in the morning

Guest FrigidSoul
I was watching a movie, so I didn't see, but I guess Wake getting a line drive to the back kind of ended his night?

He fell like a sack of potatos and the ball went so high on the ricochet that Nomar was able to catch it around the 2nd base bag. He finished the inning and was then done.

Man, Angel fans must be saying "Percival WHO?" right now. Although Francona pretty much threw in the towel there by letting the power trio of Kapler, Mirabelli, and Reese bat.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

The Angels have now won 7 of 9 and looking much more like team we were in May.

Perhaps we don't need another starter after all and can juggle Sele and Ortiz for the rest of the season.

Supposedly the Cubs are going to determine today if Prior can somehow make his scheduled start on Tuesday against the Cards. What I heard on the radio is that the doctors could not find ANYTHING wrong with his elbow, and are basically befuddled.

Guest FrigidSoul
Supposedly the Cubs are going to determine today if Prior can somehow make his scheduled start on Tuesday against the Cards. What I heard on the radio is that the doctors could not find ANYTHING wrong with his elbow, and are basically befuddled.

Somebody on baseball tonight said that it looks like he's over compensating with his arm to save on his achilles when he lands. That could cause extra stress to the elbow and just make it sore since its unnatural for him. They also said they'd ask him and the Cubs pitching coach about it.

Guest Anglesault
Reds called up Brandon Claussen, their best pitching prospect.

I hate you all.

Guest Choken One

The reds decided to suck a little more today. Cards are off to a nice 6-2 lead.

Credit: MLB.com

ATLANTA -- The Expos traded outfielder Carl Everett and cash considerations to the White Sox on Sunday for minor league pitchers Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski.

The Expos were hoping that Everett would pick up some of the power that was lost by Vladimir Guerrero, who signed with the Angels as a free agent this past offseason. But Everett played in just 39 games in 2004 because of shoulder and ankle injuries.

At the time of the trade, the switch-hitter was hitting .252 with two home runs and 14 RBIs.

This will be Everett's second stint with the White Sox. On July 1, 2003, the Texas Rangers traded Everett to Chicago for minor league pitchers Frankie Francisco and Josh Rupe, and outfielder Anthony Webster.

Everett played in 73 games for the White Sox and hit .301 with 10 home runs and 41 RBIs.

The Expos signed Everett last December to a two-year, $7.5 million contract, plus an option year. Everett can opt out of the contract after this season. The club option is worth $5 million, but the Expos could have bought him out for $500,000.

Rauch, a starter, has Major League experience. In 10 career games with the White Sox, he was 3-2 with a 6.51 ERA.

He had spent most of this season with Triple-A Charlotte, where he was 6-3 with a 3.11 ERA in 14 games.

Majewski, 24, is a reliever who has never played in the big leagues. His best season was with Double-A Birmingham in 2003. He was 5-3 with a 2.65 ERA. He struck out 75 batters in 74 2/3 innings.

In 2004, he's 3-3 with a 3.19 ERA and a team-leading 14 saves for Charlotte.

Well Jurassic Carl has left Montreal. So much for him succesfully replacing Vlad the Impaler.

Guest FrigidSoul

Frankie Francisco has been great for the Texas Rangers. I'm surprised at how much talent the White Sox have given up for Carl Everett the past couple years.

I'm guessing that Tony Batista, Orlando Cabrera, and Tony Armas Jr are deffinately available.

Guest Anglesault

The Yanks seem to have ended that post-Boston run where they beat everything with a pulse and ate crappy teams alive. All good things must end, I suppose.

Guest FrigidSoul

The umpiring crew for the Angels/Sox series is terrible. Schilling drills a guy who hit a homer off of him after warnings had been issued. So who gets tossed? Mike Soscia. I can't explain it.

Beyond that, and in a contradication to my previous post, this game today shows why Angels should be going after Randy Johnson. Boston has an Ace on their mound and he has won them the game - and these are the sort of teams and pitchers we'd be facing if we made it to the playoffs.

Guest Anglesault
The umpiring crew for the Angels/Sox series is terrible. Schilling drills a guy who hit a homer off of him after warnings had been issued. So who gets tossed? Mike Soscia. I can't explain it.

It makes sense if you try to think like them.

That kind of had me scratching my head as well. An ump warns both benches, so by rule, the ump has all the right in the world to toss a pitcher that intentionally hits a guy. What, is that ump too damn stupid to realize that Schilling hit the guy that scored the only run against him today? I hope this whole staff gets a hit in the wallet after this series.

If Ortiz gets plunked, he might as well charge the mound, the umps won't mind.

So we split the series with Boston - not an entire disaster.

Best positive thus far this season is Chone Figgins - sign me up as a member of Club Chone.

Outside of the sweep of Oakland last week, when was the last time the Sox actually WON a series? It seems like they are either splitting it, or losing 2 out of 3.

Guest FrigidSoul

They took 2 of 3 from Texas. So in the past 10 games against the AL West's best the Red Sox record was 7-3. That's not bad at all. Now on to Seattle where we should take both games.

Damn, first OctoberBlood, then Choken, I wonder if I will be the next to go. Perhaps soon this board will be free of reds fans.

Hopefully the reds get something good for Paul Wilson, as that series against the cards showed how inferior they are.

With Prior being a question mark, do you think the Cubs will make a late run in the Randy Johnson sweepstakes?

In the D-Backs-Cubs-Red Sox trade scenario, the D-Backs would essentially be picking up the Cubs prospects anyway.

I just question whether Nomar's bat will be able to put the Cubs over the top.

The Cubs need offense, not starting pitching, and right now it looks like they still need to learn the fundamentals of baseball, so I doubt we'll be going after Johnson, though NOMAH would be nice.

Guest Anglesault
Conform or be cast out, geniusMoment: the only teams you can like at TSM are Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox.

Three teams with the richest histories, greatest fansbases and most magnificent winning tradition in baseball.

Two out of three aint bad.