TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Best rogues' galleries

So what do you think? I don't think many will debate my first and second choices, but I am very intrigued to hear others' opinions. Here's my picks

1. Batman- Come on, Joker's probably the best villain ever, and then you have two-face, catwoman, grundy, scarecrow, riddler, clayface, r'as, Shiva. all around good stuff.

2. X-Men- Mags, Dark Phoenix, Apocalypse and sinister, various brotherhood, Including Big daddy joggs, onslaught, etc

3- Spider-Man- Venom, various gobs, Kraven, Lizard, Doc Oc Carnage (ugh) and miriad others.

4- JLA - Darkseid, luthor, Doomsday, parralex, amazo

5- Avengers - Ultron, MOE, Red Skull, Um, my ignorance of comics is starting to show,

So? opinions?

4- JLA

In terms of character depth, Batman's group wins out by a landslide, with the X-Men group coming in second.

In terms of power, I think JLA gets the nod, given that the team is composed entirely of demigods anyway. The X-Men group doesn't fare too badly here, with Magneto and Dark Phoenix carrying the torch.

And don't feel bad about struggling for the Avengers' rogue gallery - it's easily neck and neck with Spider-Man for one of the worst rogue's galleries of any major series, IMO. Just play through the Captain America and the Avengers arcade game sometime and bask in the total dweebery of such luminaries as The Living Laser and Whirlwind.

Flash is fast becoming the best in terms of character depth. Geoff Johns new focus on it and each of them and their unique personalities has breathed new life into the Flash.

Yeah, now that I think about it FF have a much better villainous lineup than the Avengers if only by virtue of having DOOM, who would probably be #3 on my list behind Joker and Magneto.

I don't think Spidey has a horrible rogue's gallery. Green Goblin looked like crap, but was a great villain in both Osborne incarnations. Venom was terrific until Marvel just decided to crap out as many comics featuring him as possible. Kraven may have only had one great storyline, but it was a doozy. And there's nothing wrong with guys like Doc Oc, Mysterio, Lizard. And Punisher first appeared as a Spidey villain. I have to agree that between Guys like Rhino, the goblins, Vulture, are about the stupidest LOOKING villains all-time. That's pretty damn apparent.

Flash is fast becoming the best in terms of character depth. Geoff Johns new focus on it and each of them and their unique personalities has breathed new life into the Flash.

Flash has always had a good Rogues Gallery, it seems. I mean, that's one of the reasons he got his own TV show, right?

Individually:

1 - Batman

2 - Spider-Man

3 - Flash

Teams:

1 - X-Men

2 - FF

3 - JLA

And don't feel bad about struggling for the Avengers' rogue gallery - it's easily neck and neck with Spider-Man for one of the worst rogue's galleries of any major series, IMO.

What the hell are you talking about? Spider-Man's rogue galley has been widely regarded for years as the best. They fit his character so well, they're mostly more powerful than him but he manages to outwit them somehow. They have a richer history with the character. Hell, even Doc Ock almost married Aunt May!

Batman's gallery is a joke. Just because they managed to make the Riddler interesting with the latest "Hush" storyline doesn't erase years and years of mediocrity. Same with the Penguin. Catwoman is a non-factor. Two-Face is pretty good, and the Joker is awesome of course. Batman always beats them so easily is not funny.

And anyone who even DARES mention Superman gets a free kick in the nuts.

Batman's rogues gallery wins rather handily, IMO.

And I'd place Spider-Man above the X-Men, although X-Men does probably have the best rogues of any superhero team out there.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman, then Spider-Man, (huge gap), X-Men, and The Flash.

I just don't understand why everyone thinks the Goblins are so stupid looking. I've always seen them as some of the coolest looking villains in comics.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men are probably the best.

Worst probably goes to Superman. You've got Lex Luthor, Darkseid and then a whole lot of nothing.

About the Goblins: Pointy Boots. Does not work for anyone.

Upon some more consideration, Daredevil has a decent list:

Kingpin, Punisher (take him of Spidey's list, he's definitely here) Elektra, Bullseye, and of course YEEEEEEENINJAS~!

Eh....I didn't mind the pointy boots. I think they both looked freaking crazy.

If you allow yourself to view the Green Goblin as a crazed asshole that's just out to cause harm then he is very scary. I mean come on......he's a crazy green goblin monster dude with super strength and explosive weapons.

Once again I don't find him stupid or stupid looking.

I think he's a terrific VILLAIN, and I like the way he looks (having been familiar with him for forever), but sometimes you have to step back and say, eh, he looks kinda dumb.

On the other hand I would have given my right nut if Defoe had dressed up like that.

Guest PlatinumBoy

The Fantastic Four aren't nearly getting enough love here! They got Doom of course, but to list some other big time baddies of theirs: Wizard and his Frightful Four, Galactus, Terrax, Blastarr, Annihlius, Diablo, Kang, Ronan, the Skrulls, Psycho Man, Hate Mongerer, Mad Thinker, Puppet Master, Titania, Molecule Man, The Brute, even the Hulk in the good old days.

The Avengers also have some good foes: Kang as well, Ultron, High Evolutionary, Klaw, Red Skull, Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil, any good Thor, Iron Man, or Cap villain is ready made for the team, plus you've got Korvac, Enchantress, and many others (reading back issues could help me remeber many of the good ones). They also have lots of good one shot villains.

You know who's rogue gallery I miss from the good old days? Wolverine in the start of his solo series, back when it was him as Patch versus guys like Roughhouse, Bloodscream, General Coy, etc. with guys like The Hulk and Silver Samurai showing up. Also a cool flashback fight with Sabertooth. That was back when Claremont was still the man and gave us some fun, Wolverine as a more detective/swashbuckler type stories. Wolverine number 8 with The Hulk is a GREAT issue from that time.

Also, I think one of the reasons that Superman's rogue's kinda suck to many is that with him being so uber, either they are normal humans that shouldn't pose a threat, or are INSANELY strong. You've got bottom of the barrel types like Toy Man and even Luthor to an extent, and then you've got Darkseid and Doomsday and Gog and those guys. It's hard for Superman to have an "equal" type guy he can go a few rounds with, without it being a life or death situation or a joke--he's got a few like Metallo, Parasite, and Mongul--but he doesn't have many.

Plus, what kind of meaningful conversation is Supes going to have with a villain. It's hard to have a deep villain when your nemesis just tells you to stop breaking stuff, then kicks your ass.

Speaking of Wolvie, you know who was always kickass? Lady Deathstrike.

What the hell are you talking about? Spider-Man's rogue galley has been widely regarded for years as the best. They fit his character so well, they're mostly more powerful than him but he manages to outwit them somehow. They have a richer history with the character. Hell, even Doc Ock almost married Aunt May!

Outside of four characters - Kraven, Venom, Green Goblin, and Doctor Octopus - Spider Man's foes look more suited to tangle with the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Check out the rest of these bad boys:

Beetle (guy dressed in bug armor that shoots electricity)

Electro (guy dressed as a green and yellow lightning bolt that shoots electricity)

Shocker (guy dressed as a quilt and shoots "vibro-shock" blasts)

Vulture (old "genius" - har har - who can fly around)

Hydroman (guy who can turn into water)

Sandman (guy who can turn into sand, manipulate his own density)

Scorpion (green guy with a cybernetic tail)

Mysterio (guy who wears a fishbowl and shoots mind-altering gasses)

Prowler (former cleaning guy who shoots sleeping gas pellets)

Rhino (giant indestructible guy dressed as a rhino)

Lizard (giant lizard)

Jackal (C-level villain who was responsible for the most inane 18-part Spidey crossover of all time)

Carnage (idiotic second-rate Venom knockoff who was responsible for the second-most inane 18-part Spidey crossover of all time)

Hammerhead (he has a big head)

Puma (he has super-senses)

Boomerang (he throws a boomerang)

How this gaggle of morons compares to Batman's demented carnival of villains is beyond me.

The Fantastic Four aren't nearly getting enough love here! They got Doom of course, but to list some other big time baddies of theirs: Wizard and his Frightful Four, Galactus, Terrax, Blastarr, Annihlius, Diablo, Kang, Ronan, the Skrulls, Psycho Man, Hate Mongerer, Mad Thinker, Puppet Master, Titania, Molecule Man, The Brute, even the Hulk in the good old days.

They also have an indirect enemy at Namor. His jealousy/love of Sue has caused the F4 strife at times.

Also, I think one of the reasons that Superman's rogue's kinda suck to many is that with him being so uber, either they are normal humans that shouldn't pose a threat, or are INSANELY strong. You've got bottom of the barrel types like Toy Man and even Luthor to an extent, and then you've got Darkseid and Doomsday and Gog and those guys. It's hard for Superman to have an "equal" type guy he can go a few rounds with, without it being a life or death situation or a joke--he's got a few like Metallo, Parasite, and Mongul--but he doesn't have many.

Sounds like someone we HHHate so dearly.

Gotta give the nod to Batman's rogues here...in Spidey's case, seems like it's the matter of quantity over quality...just look at The Man in Blak's post there. They probably would be...tacky or outdated somehow. However, they could be salvaged...I dunno...visual and origin makeover might just be the solution.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Outside of four characters - Kraven, Venom, Green Goblin, and Doctor Octopus - Spider Man's foes look more suited to tangle with the Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Electro (guy dressed as a green and yellow lightning bolt that shoots electricity)

Lizard (giant lizard)

Jackal (C-level villain who was responsible for the most inane 18-part Spidey crossover of all time)

Carnage (idiotic second-rate Venom knockoff who was responsible for the second-most inane 18-part Spidey crossover of all time)

How this gaggle of morons compares to Batman's demented carnival of villains is beyond me.

I always thought Sandman was a pretty tremendous villain actually. He was a mook who got some really cool powers, good stuff. Oh and you can't really bash Lizard without noting that he's basically the same as Man-Bat, complete with tragic origin.

Oh and you forgot Hobgoblin, Kingpin, Black Cat, THE ROSE, KRAVEN THE HUNTER, The Chamleon, and a few other good ones.

This is specifically why I've never really liked Superman as a comic book character.

He's TOO powerful. Even post-Crisis, which was suppose to depowe him, he's STILL effectively a god.

I can't get into that.

I love that list of Spidey's villains! I just don't get the hate. I loved all of them!

Except Hammerhead and Boomerang.

Tombstone was pretty badass to.

Lizard (giant lizard)

And what exactly is wrong with this bunch? I mean, not everyone can be a genius like Dr.Doom, or a demi-god like Darkseid, or an overall great character like Joker to be an effective villain. Batman's villains are all demented, therefore they're all better? Each baddie serves different purpose: some are intelligent, some are dumb, some have powers, some have super-strenght, etc. They've interacted much better with Spider-Man's character. He's struggled with them. It's not like he just appears and instills the fear of God in them. You're way off-base here, and are also dead wrong regarding the Avenger's gallery as well.

Penguin stole some birds, call Batman! The Riddler left a clue, call Batman! Clayface has done...umm, Cat-man did..., Man-Bat did.. ., Joe Chill killed his parents, wait, no he didn't. Yeah, a bunch of winners here.

Maybe MrZsasz can illustrate better the excellence of Batman's rogue gallery. How can anyone state that Spidey's (and the Avengers) galleries are the worst is beyond me.

And hey, Electro's costume is COOL.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The thing is, Batman's rogues a lot darker than Spider-Man's. The best ones are tragic: something happened to snap their minds and now they're surrounded by symbols of their psychosis. Spider-Man's just tend to be science accidents gone terribly wrong. So there's a lot more depth to batman's villains, and Spidey's baddies tend to be more cartoonish.

Bats and Spidey's villains are perfectly acceptable, because they compliment their hero.

Batman villains are usually more extreme, more methodical and it works because Batman's character is much more intense in his fight on crime. He devotes all his time to stopping them.

Spidey's characters are a little more run of the mill in motivation...usually materialism, greed, and power struggle are what they are seeking. Spidey's the complete opposite in character, because he's more content in being Peter Parker who just happens to spend all his free time fighting them off. Spidey's villains work because they might not be as evil as the Bat's rogue gallery, but they work because they never do anything that overshadows his personal dillemas. Stopping the Chameleon is just as important to him as trying to get this month's rent in on time. You don't get/need this dual nature with Batman.

Well put, Steviekick. Also, Mr Zsasz is not too far off. What works for one guy doesn't necessarily does for the other because each hero has different motivations, goals. So the best villains usually somewhat mirror that.

Bats and Spidey's villains are perfectly acceptable, because they compliment their hero.

Batman villains are usually more extreme, more methodical and it works because Batman's character is much more intense in his fight on crime. He devotes all his time to stopping them.

Spidey's characters are a little more run of the mill in motivation...usually materialism, greed, and power struggle are what they are seeking. Spidey's the complete opposite in character, because he's more content in being Peter Parker who just happens to spend all his free time fighting them off. Spidey's villains work because they might not be as evil as the Bat's rogue gallery, but they work because they never do anything that overshadows his personal dillemas. Stopping the Chameleon is just as important to him as trying to get this month's rent in on time. You don't get/need this dual nature with Batman.

I think the problem also is that Spidey's classic rouges rarely show up now in current continuity. Sure Spectacular just had Venom, Green Goblin, Lizard and Doc Ock show up recently but over at Amazing they've only had Doc Ock in the current writer's run, and that was essentially a glorified cameo to service the real bad guy of the arc (I'm not counting the Ultimate Universe)

Therefore to most causal fans it seems that with the exception of Venom, there hasn't been too many legendary villians created since Lee ended his run and that they haven't shown up since that time frame either

Steve

I think the more randomness of Spidey's villains works. He'd rather not be crimefighting and worry about his personal life, but something keeps popping up to distract him.

Guest JMA
This is specifically why I've never really liked Superman as a comic book character.

He's TOO powerful. Even post-Crisis, which was suppose to depowe him, he's STILL effectively a god.

I can't get into that.

The thing about Superman is that he's SUPPOSED to be nearly all-powerful. He's basically a god who was raised by humans and pretends to be one of them. That being said, his rogues' gallery could use some revamping.

As for who has the BEST rogues' gallery, it's easily Batman's. The Joker, Two-Face, Ra's Al Ghul, the Penguin, Bane, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, Poison Ivy, the Mad Hatter, Killer Croc, and the list goes on and on.