TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

The NCAA Football 2005 Dynasty Thread

I decided to move the Montana Grizzlies up to D-1. I am 4-0 right now after beating Duke, Youngstown State, Wyoming and Louisna Lafeyette.

the worst right now is that my guys are constantly getting into trouble. In one week I had 5 guys get into trouble, all warranting 3 game suspensions. I dropped them down to 2 games mostly, but damn, I had run out of discipline points in week 6! I am amazed at the different infractions that can occur to your players, cops arresting the players, plagerism, fighting in practice and so on.

I do like the fact that if you start with a small prestige school, as you win the crowds will get larger.

Over all, the recievers do suck on my team, but still the Griz is undefeated!

I have two dynasties going right now. One is with Notre Dame, and I'm 7-0, after beating Tennessee.

The other I have is with the Joliet Catholic Hilltoppers (my high school, and alma mater of Tom Thayer and Mike MOTHERFUCKING Alstott), running the custom Option Run playbook. I just beat Tulane in the Fort Worth Bowl. I did some simulating and went 9-3. I'm so hoping for a good recruiting class. I desperately need WR's and a good DE.

I'm really loving the home field advantge mode. It always comes in handy when I'm on defense and my opponent is facing a 3rd down. I still have trouble passing though. I'm sure I'll get it figured out tomorrow.

The trouble's pretty variable depending on the discipline of your team. For example, with Washington State, I went through the whole season, and the only trouble I had was a couple players who had to be suspended a quarter each for grades. Then, when I did the offseason, I saw that their default budget setting was 31% recruiting, 30% training, 39% discipline. If you're getting in all that trouble, they must have the default discipline setting too low for them.

Oh, and BTW, the Griz are tight. I'm doing the Cougars for my dynasty, because that's where I'm going to school, and I like leaving the teams in their real conferences, but I'm Missoula born and bred. If they had an option to do a I-AA schedule though, I'd totally start a dynasty with the Griz. It would be kinda tight if you could go through the I-AA ranks until you got an offer to move up to I-A from a major conference.

Oh, and is if anyone actually cares, I finished my first season 7-5 with a win in the Emerald Bowl, but I had the #5 recruiting class in the country, and this year's gonna be better.

Started a new Dynasty

Team - UNLV - Rebels

Difficulty - All American

Quarter Length - 5 minutes

Prestige - **

Playbook - UNLV

Week 1 - BYE

Week 2 - #68 UNLV at #10 Tennessee

Was suprising back and forth for the first half but I ended up giving up a TD in the 2nd quarter after throwing a pick at my 37 yard line. 0-7 Tennessee.

Started the 3rd quarter with a 5 minute drive taking up the entire quarter but only managed to get a FG. 3-7 Tennessee.

4th quarter comes and Tennessee goes 4 and out. Get a good return to the 50 yard line on the punt and proceed to have a good drive and manage to score a TD with 2:07 left in the quarter. 10-7 UNLV.

Kickoff to Tennessee and cream the returner at the 10 yard line. The manage to get to my 42 yard line with 1:08 to go and 4th down and 8. Drop back into a Dime zone package and they manage to sneak one in and get the first down at my 34. Fine... only 1:00 left and I should be able to hold onto them scoring a FG at best. They run two running plays and gain about 6 yards when I sack them on 3rd down back to the 38 yard line.

So rather than kick a ~50yd FG they decide to go for it and manage to hit the WR in the corner for a TD. 10-14 Tennessee... 27 seconds left.

Kickoff I return to the 30 yard line. 25 seconds left. Hail Mary time.

Drop back to pass and pump fake once to the right side and then throw to the left to WR #21... but I over throw it BETWEEN #21 and the CB and my outside WR #4 CATCHES it and runs like a bat out of hell for a TD. 17-14 UNLV. 15 Seconds left.

Deep kickoff but they get to the 20. I just sat back in the Prevent D and stopped the first 3 Hail Mary's when on the 4th I get called for a Personal Foul so it goes back to first down on the 30 with 0:00 on the clock with one last shot and throw a Hail Mary down the right corner that my CB just barely punches out of the way.

Win for UNLV. 17-14

Greatest Game Score - 1871

Only moved up to #62 in the rankings while Tennessee moved back to #21. This was oddly also one of my 3 Team Goals which also include beating Nevada and getting a bowl bid.

Next game is #62 UNLV at #19 Wisconsin.

------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else noticed how much that freaking ball jumps around when it's batted away? Christ it's nerve wracking.

Guest Flyboy
Has anyone else noticed how much that freaking ball jumps around when it's batted away? Christ it's nerve wracking.

Another thing that annoys me about the game -- just bump down the Knockdown slider some.

Has anyone else noticed how much that freaking ball jumps around when it's batted away?  Christ it's nerve wracking.

Yeah, it jumps around a bit too much.

That, and the dropped passes to wide-open recievers really fucking piss me off.

BTW, how many rivalry trophies do you guys have? (This doesn't include dynasty mode)

Guest Flyboy
I actually kinda enjoy the difficulty of passing and the tipped balls. College players aren't supposed to be as good as pros.

But they aren't nearly that bad either.

Eh, maybe, but it adds difficulty, too. I'd rather it be hard than easy, considering the ease of the game often makes me tire of it quicker. I really do have a tough time with this game (my current 27-0 trouncing of #1 Oklahoma notwithstanding) and I like that; it makes the games more tense and stuff when the balls get batted down and you have to pull a good throw out of your hat on 4th down.

I like the balls being batted but it just makes it nerve racking when it's bouncing up there for 5 seconds and could get picked off.

Well I'm just trying the game out right now. Testing the waters so to speak on Varsity mode. After I finish a season as OU on Varsity mode I'm going to move on to All-American with a less prestigious school.

That's the way I always do it on these games.......

But Varsity is still to easy.......I just beat Houston 85-0.....though that's not to off from what may happen in real life this season......

I lost my first Nat'l Championship game on AA against LSU. It was a shallacking in the end, 31-14 in favor of the Tigers. I came into the game with literally no game plan, thought I could just run all over them and put up a pass every once in a while for a big TD. Unfortunately, their D-Line was composed of four All Americans.

:(

I just went through the season undefeated with UNLV and beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. Went into the game ranked #7 vs. Oklahoma's #3 and after the win was ranked #2 to end the season.

Got 3 offers for a head coaching position. A 6 year extenstion at UNLV, 3 year contract for Notre Dame and a 3 year contract for Tennessee since they went 5-6 on the season. I decided to take the Tennessee job to have some type of challenge rebuilding.

Anyone else notice that the game seems to like to make the last game of the season if you are going undefeated magically harder than normal? I had problems with SDSU and I was ranked #10 in the country.

Now to see how I do with Tennessee.

Well I started a dynasty with SMU who only had a 2 prestige and was 0-12 last season.

I went 7-5 my first season and recruited some nice talent. Then I had an absolute breakout star at RB in my second season that carried the team on his back to a 12-0 record, a bid to the Computers bowl and a dogfight that we won with NC State in that game.

I was ranked #18 in the country and SI even made mention that I wasn't getting any respect. We'll see what happens this season though.

Guest bigm350

I think I'm going to try and rebuild Penn State on AA level. See how that goes.

I'm in my second season with my alma mater, Ohio University. This year's team has to be the worst football team I've ever played with on any football game EVER. Just AWFUL to the point that playing the game is borderline not even fun anymore.

Hey SMU was like that till I broke out my star RB. My Corner's still suck. I can't get any good ones to come to school here.

I mean I can't ever blitz b/c I gotta have guys running the field b/c otherwise they'll give up huge plays b/c they can't cover worth a shit.

OK, I know this isn't Dynasty-related per se, but I have to throw this in... Has anybody ever gone back to a replay to see where a penalty was called on someone from your team? Outside the pass intereference and offsides/false start calls, everything else is TOTAL BULLSHIT.

I got called for a clipping penalty on a kickoff return. I went to the replay and saw that the guy penalized DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH ANYONE until after the play was over. I made a nice 3rd-and-14 conversion later in the day, but had it wiped out by a horrendous holding call.

Just lame.

Okay, so after playing three years on all american at Pitt and being pretty damned successful (my last recruiting class was outstanding, and it made for a year where I ended the season ranked #1 but lost a heartbreaker to LSU in the national championship), I didn't accept a contract extension and instead decided to pursue other opportunities. Being that I had ****** coach prestige, I went to a ** program (Miami of Ohio) and decided to try my luck. Happily, coach prestige alone wooed some solid recruits (including a **** athelete who translated into a 79 QB... which was far better than anyone I had on my roster).

So, I'm already starting to turn it around for Miami of Ohio after beating #20 Texas A&M when I realized that my frosh QB is an absolute star.

Oh yeah....I understand about the penalties.

Sometimes you'll be down a couple of TD's and you start making a HUGE ralley and suddenly penalties start flying like crazy. It's almost like the game is out to get you.

Well I've decided to bring this back up since I've been getting into the game more lately. For some reason before College FB season I go wild with this game but during I just never play. Towards the end and afterwards I go nuts again. It's weird.

Anyways I've run a couple 1 year dynasties just to have fun. But I always use high profile teams. I ran an OU, Cal, and Tennessee dynasty but I just couldn't keep playing with them b/c they were already good teams at the top.

I had my longest running dynasty as SMU.

I went to the computers bowl my first season and then went on a wild 5 national titles in a row streak before I realized I had reached the pinnacle and took over as coach of a fallen Nebraska program. My success was not duplicated for some reason. I got bored after one season and closed the book on this dynasty program forever.

That's when I tooled around with the three big teams I mentioned above.

Now I'm ready to go strong with Notred Dame. Yeah the prestige is high but overall they aren't a good team. So far in my first 3 games of the season I've played against BYU, Michigan, and Michigan State.

I've allowed 4 red zone visits, sacked countless QB's, at least 2 forced fumbles a game, at least 2 INT's a game.

ND/BYU: 35-0

ND/Michigan 28-0(this was in the first half my offense completely fell apart in the second half only accumulating about 70 yards but my defense held strong)

ND/MSU- 35-0

My defense is just amazing. This is on All-American though, I've never tried Heisman. I don't think I'll go undefeated but it may be a 10 win season. I dunno. I was figuring I was coming into the season with an uphill battle b/c of how bad ND sucks in real life. But so far I've been cruising.

The problem I forsee is that my offense sucks. A lot of those points I made in those other games were defensive TD's. I've accumulated an average of 340 some odd yards a game.

So when I run into a high powered defense I'm going to get creamed.

What a frustrating game. I lost to Washington at home 14-12. That's right WASHINGTON! After blowing out great teams these guys come into my house and do me in! What bullshit! And it was one of those frustrating games where your team does nothing right. Your QB throws 4 INT's, your HB can't hold onto the fb, your defense can't run with anyone, your OL can't hold blocks. Just frustrating. Like the game didn't want me to win.

I started a dynasty on 2004 for GameCube with Michigan but it was too easy. I quit and began one with my created team, the Springfield (Illinois) Hitmen, who had black and pink uniforms to represent Bret Hart. Wide receiver #21, Matt Young, was even the leading Heisman candidate.

Anyway, I got NCAA 2005 with my Xbox a few weeks ago. ESPN NFL and other non-sports games have distracted me from playing it much, but I'll probably start a dynasty soon. Michigan's out since that'd be too easy, so I'll either use Wake Forest, San Diego State, or a created team. Fuck Illinois teams.

In somewhat related news, I'm kicking myself for not picking up Madden on Black Friday for $19.99. I could've continued my college guys' careers with the Packers...

MADDEN INVASION!!!

I'm in Year 5 of my franchise and I'm playing in my second Super Bowl. After pulling out a win v. the Texans, I bitch-slapped KC, who have defeated me in the postseason two other times. I have a feeling Rondee Barber, Brian Dawkins, Tommy Maddox, Mike Alstott, and a few others will probably retire after this season, so I need to win this one and send them all out winners.

*runs away...*