TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

Jack Black to play Green Lantern?

Guest JMA
I'm just waiting for the GL board over at comicboards.com to hear about this. Maybe they'll stop squabbling over Kyle and Hal and pull together a la the Spider-Girl fans to write some letters.

It's already happening there.

Comic book fans must have herpes or something. If your so into the story of green lantern, go read the comics again, and let everyone who wants to see a satirical comic book movie enjoy it.

You must be able to read between lines, because I read "zany comedy", not "satirical comic book movie".

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

What would be the difference? If it's a comedy, made out of a serious comic book, than it's satire. I mean do you guys expect a serious themed movie with funny quotes and some of Jack's power moves?

What would be the difference? If it's a comedy, made out of a serious comic book, than it's satire.

No, I think Animal Farm is satire. A comedy based on a superhero comic book isn't necessarily satire.

Guest JMA

There's already a petition up against the proposed movie.

Here

Online petitions rarely work, but they are a good way for fans to express their feelings. Letters might work better. Still, it can't hurt to sign.

Mole--

Essentially, a race of beings, The Oans, created a coprs of heroes to safeguard the galaxy, using power rings that could create anything out of green energy.  The will power of the ring-bearer operates it.  One day, a test pilot named Hal Jordan happened upon a dying alien who passed on his ring to Jordan, making Jordan Earth's GL and the guardian of this sector of space.

They are called Green Lanterns because the ring's energy is not endless.  They must be recharged in a "battery" that looks like an old fashioned lantern.

That's the basest of base essentials.  There was a GL on Earth before Hal Jordan but that's a whole other story.  The current GL for the sector is Kyle Rainer, Hal's direct successor.  John Stewart is the GL for the Justice League presently, and I suppose for Earth as well.

If Identity Crisis is any indication, Guy Gardner may also be in posession of a Green power ring again somehow.

Aw sounds a bit corny, even for a comic book.

But thanks.

Aw sounds a bit corny, even for a comic book.

But thanks.

It is one of the original DC character ideas, so it's fairly old.

But there isn't anything funny about that story, but they want to make it funny.

That doesn't make any sense.

Guest JMA

Looks like the petition is already up to 172 signatures. That's a decent number for just a day.

Huh. I should be cursing up a storm, but I know not to expect anything better from WB, with the rare exception... I already know which movie I'm not gonna see.

Guest SP-1

We've got to give Batman Begins some serious bank.

And then crap on everything else.

Make them see that we want good movies.

Comic book fans must have herpes or something. If your so into the story of green lantern, go read the comics again, and let everyone who wants to see a satirical comic book movie enjoy it.

So Nelly, how many times have you seen "Catwoman"? Does that rank up there as a "satrical comic book movie" for you?

This casting stinks. If they're going a movie based on the Hal Jordan GL(which I hope they are) then Hal has always been the type to do something, think about it later. But still he's a man of action. Jack Black is good at crazy type characters, but wacky crazy instead of heroic crazy.

Well this casting shouldn't really suprise me for some reason tho. I remember reading an interview with John Byrne saying WB wanted him to write a GL movie with Eddie Murphy as the lead. Gratefully he passed on it.

Guest MikeSC
We've got to give Batman Begins some serious bank.

And then crap on everything else.

Make them see that we want good movies.

Is he still vulnerable to the color yellow (haven't read the comics since, well, the early 80's)?

It seemed like, quite possibly, the lamest vulnerability on Earth. Then again, DC had a problem with that. How in the hell do fragments of a planet millions upon millions of years away get so readily available that everybody has some to fight Superman with?

Also, why not a Justice League movie? DC characters, especially classic ones, just didn't have enough depth to warrant a full movie. Why not an ensemble?

-=Mike

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"So Nelly, how many times have you seen "Catwoman"? Does that rank up there as a "satrical comic book movie" for you?"

Um, was that supposed to be some kind of point?

Guest SpiderFan
Is he still vulnerable to the color yellow (haven't read the comics since, well, the early 80's)?

No. When the last remaining Power Ring was given to Kyle Rayner, the weakness was taken out of it.

Guest SP-1

Kyle has made the ring awesome. I don't think the weakness to yellow is there anymore, and I don't think he has to recharge it anymore. I can't wait for Hal to return and have access to the new version of the rings. That's going to be boss.

and Nelly -- we comic fans have been the ones giving our money to keep the character alive. We are the ones to thank for keeping GL going long enough for a craptacular movie like this to even be considered. WE are the fans to please, not the average moviegoer that wants to crap on the legacy of a great character. if you want comic book satire, go watch Blankman or Batman and Robin.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"and Nelly -- we comic fans have been the ones giving our money to keep the character alive. We are the ones to thank for keeping GL going long enough for a craptacular movie like this to even be considered. WE are the fans to please, not the average moviegoer that wants to crap on the legacy of a great character. if you want comic book satire, go watch Blankman or Batman and Robin. "

You make it sound more like you guys are to blame. If it's a comedy with Jack Black it's going to be about money, not pleasing comic book geeks. If your so deeply offended that your years of "service" isn't being repaid with a Spiderman-esque saga don't go see the movie, there's no point bitching about it when there's plenty of other people who would enjoy something like that.

EDIT: And Blankman had a good story. :)

Guest wrestlingbs

Why the hell would DC comics make a deal with WBs to give them complete control over the DC characters? It's hard to believe WB's crappy handling of the DC's characters plus Marvel's sucess hasn't hurt their sales.

I really wouldn't mind Jack Black as a GL if he was a side character, another GL. Why in God's name would anyone try to copy The Mask?

Guest The Notorious CRD
Why the hell would DC comics make a deal with WBs to give them complete control over the DC characters? It's hard to believe WB's crappy handling of the DC's characters plus Marvel's sucess hasn't hurt their sales.

DC is owned by Warner Bros., which is why they have access to all their characters and why DC character shows/movies are always handled by Warner Bros.

Guest SP-1
"and Nelly -- we comic fans have been the ones giving our money to keep the character alive. We are the ones to thank for keeping GL going long enough for a craptacular movie like this to even be considered. WE are the fans to please, not the average moviegoer that wants to crap on the legacy of a great character. if you want comic book satire, go watch Blankman or Batman and Robin. "

You make it sound more like you guys are to blame. If it's a comedy with Jack Black it's going to be about money, not pleasing comic book geeks. If your so deeply offended that your years of "service" isn't being repaid with a Spiderman-esque saga don't go see the movie, there's no point bitching about it when there's plenty of other people who would enjoy something like that.

EDIT: And Blankman had a good story. :)

You're missing my point.

GL is not a comedy character. If they want to have a comedic superhero character, then they need to put their crack team on the case and create a new property. Not go through DC's respected archives and bastardize existing characters with existing fanbases that will call BS on them both monetarily and creatively.

I hope the fan community reams WB over this. There's plenty of reason for us to be "bitching" about it. It's NOT GL. It's not the character. It's not what the characters are about. If someone were to take characters I created, and turn them into a sideshow to make a few bucks off the stoner crowd that idolizes Jack Black, I'd be pretty offended. I don't like seeing characters screwed up like this.

"So Nelly, how many times have you seen "Catwoman"? Does that rank up there as a "satrical comic book movie" for you?"

Um, was that supposed to be some kind of point?

The point is that Catwoman, and the last 2 Batman movies were not "satrical comic book movies" as you think the GL movie will be, but quite simply bad movies. I'll be all for a movie that is that, as long as it's good. This movie just basically takes the idea of the character and shits all over it for a quick buck.

They can make a movie that takes the best aspects of the character, adds some humor for entertainment purposes, and have it play on the screen well. They could take another character and use them for a zany comedy movie (Plastic Man for example) but they choose not to.

Guest JMA
Also, why not a Justice League movie? DC characters, especially classic ones, just didn't have enough depth to warrant a full movie. Why not an ensemble?

I disagree with this vehemently. Just because they were as powerful as they were doesn't mean they lacked depth. Look at Batman: Can you honestly say he doesn't have depth? Superman is a god-like alien raised by humans and trying to do the right thing; he's the American immigrant story. For other examples, just look at Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, and yes, Green Lantern.

Even Aquaman has depth now.

Guest SP-1

An Aquaman movie where he has the freakin TRIDENT for a hand would rule all.

Guest JMA

I agree that if WB wanted to do a "zany comedy" they should've just used Plastic Man. That would be a PERFECT zany comedy with a super-hero twist. It just goes to show how clueless they are most of the time.

Guest SP-1

PlasticMan is also alot closer to The Mask concept. Rubbery guy that can contort his body into pretty much anything.