TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmazingRen

A long rant about the state of TNA

Before you read this let me say that I have ordered every single TNA PPV so what I'm about to say should mean something...

"Why I'm getting a little fed up TNA"

It's been two years since TNA was born and it still seems like they're stuck in a deep hole. Yes TNA has a TV deal, but what has it done for the company. They still don't have DVD's in stores,people in Nashville still get in free and most of them aren't even wrestling fans(I say about 70% or less are),they still have there PPV show in the same place every week, the guy that has been in the main event scene since day one is the champ. What is that piece of puzzle TNA needs to get out of that hole? You can no longer call AJ the future of wrestling because he's already been champ and it has done nothing for the company. I'll admit the AJ was more over than Brock before they became champs, but look at both of those guys title reigns. Brock got over by other guys putting him over (Hogan,Taker,Angle etc...)and being the main guy in the feuds. The only people that were getting themsleves over during AJ title reign were Jarrett and Russo. I'll never forget the show when AJ and Russo were at a pool and AJ jumped in the pool for him. That did nothing for AJ expect for him pleasing his master. If you were a person that just started watching TNA by looking at Impact! you wouldn't even know that AJ used to be the NWA Champion. TNA has to realize that the show that put on every Wednesday is a show that we have to pay for. Now $9.95 might not seem like alot of money to them, but when you put on average shows then it's a waste of money.

Right now it just seems like 3LK is just being used for Jarrett to hold on to the title. Nobody is a real threat to Jarrett right now. Does it feel like TNA management is just waiting for one of the big name free agents (Hogan,Savage,Warrior,DDP ect...) to join TNA to feud with Jarrett? Konnan isn't a threat,BG isn't a threat, everyone speaks for the Truth(Russo,3LK,Dusty) so he isn't a threat, D'lo isn't as over when he first came to TNA, when Dusty,Larry,Shamrock,and Elite Guard are main eventing the show when they haven't done squat to earn a title shot it makes the title seem worthless . When was the last time TNA went off the air with somebody getting the best of Jarrett? I hope if/when Jarrett loses the title he doesn't get back in the title picture 3 weeks later.

And why is TNA treating Impact! like a WWE Heat show? After watching this week's show and other Impact shows it seems like TNA isn't trying hard enough to attract viewers. TNA only has one show on National TV and there not taking advantage of it. The differance between Impact and Heat is people already know the wrestlers by watching Raw and they know how to react to them. Impact on the other hand has only one show and it's a paying show so the crowd in Orlando doesn't know who the wrestlers are (besides AJ, Jarrett, D'lo, and Sabu) because TNA doesn't let them cut promos and establish themselves to the audience who haven't ordered the shows. It's sad when the only reasons the Orlando crowd knows who to cheer for is by the heel and face entrances and by Jeremy telling them before the show starts. TNA needs to treat Impact! like they don't have a PPV show. I don't mind if Impact only has 3 matches if it means the wrestlers can come out to cut promos and create their characters. Team Canada doesn't even get the crowd heat it should because they don't come out and cut anti-American promos. The crowd doesn't even know that when Ron Killings wrestle for the PPV crowd that chant "Truth". They don't know that David Young is on a losing streak. If TNA doesn't change the direction of Impact! in the next 2 months (summer ends) I don't see them lasting too long on TV.

I'm sorry for the long rant, but I just had to say this

Impact needs to get on FX and they need to drop the weekly PPVs. If those two things could happen, TNA would improve dramaticly.

Guest MikeSC
Impact needs to get on FX and they need to drop the weekly PPVs. If those two things could happen, TNA would improve dramaticly.

If the problem tends to be booking, how is getting on FX going to change it?

-=Mike

If the problem tends to be booking, how is getting on FX going to change it?

-=Mike

You can actually book a good, moderately long feud and get guys over if you have a Free TV show where you're not trying to build the next week's PPV week after week. They're in pretty much an impossible situation right now due to the format.

Removing the weekly PPVs would allow them to build stars and feuds. Right now they basically have to hotshot everything (hell, the Naturals v.s. AMW has lasted about 6 weeks and they've already exhausted all possible matches and are blowing the feud off) to sell a PPV. They wouldn't have to shill the PPV like crazy and could focus on the matches. That would also free up time to allow for a match that goes longer than 10 mins on the weekly TV show.

If you look at all the things they have to try to use Impact to accomplish, they've done an admirable job with that show.

Guest Coffey

Well, I'd say to give Abyss a shot at the top, however his character doesn't allow him to talk and Goldylocks is a horrible mouthpiece. Besides, it looks like Abyss & "Baby Bear" will be having some words sooner than later, and I'm sure Goldylocks will leave with Alex Shelley.

Jeff Jarrett, in his "Six Points of Impact" interview yesterday on Impact decided to bury people with his words for no reason. Yeah, we know that he has the title right now. We know he's beat some people...but he made it seem like he's undefeated and no one stands a chance. He even name dropped Jeff Hardy whom isn't in his division and Hulk Hogan whom never showed up. Does he think that's making him or the company more credible?

Obviously the X-Division is TNAW's high point. It has been since day one when they had the Flying Elvis' Vs. Lynn, Low Ki & Styles as the opener. They really should focus more on it. They're doing an OK job at using Impact to have X-Division matches, but they need to cut back on the Jarrett interaction...which doesn't make a lot of since considering he's the current champion. So, it seems like both ways are wrong. You have to focus the champion, but they don't need to shove Jarrett down our throats. That's why he shouldn't be the champion right now. Give him a break...let someone give him a stretcher job or something. Someone like Abyss.

I still think that Sonny Siaki could be a main eventer too. He has something about him. A lot of people will just discredit him and call him a Rock clone, but he's a lot more than that. He has more potential than Monty Brown, if you ask me, and Brown's the #1 contender.

Impact, so far, I think, has done a good job of trying to sell people on their Wednesday night PPV's. That's a good thing. Their commercials stand out. However, the problem, as previously addressed, is that Impact doesn't make people want to watch Impact. If you look back to WCW, you would watch Nitro, and it would always leave you wanting to watch again next week...but you still knew about the next PPV. That's what TNAW should be doing. Cliffhanger type endings. You can still have a clean finish...but something to make people want to watch the next week is required. That's why you pay people to write for you!

Whenever Raven comes back to the main event scene, it will be nothing but a good thing. He should've won the title in the past, and I'm just hoping that TNAW didn't drop the ball and miss the boat with Raven. He was incredibly over there for awhile, and now he's just another former WCW/ECW/WWF(E) wrestler that has matches in TNAW. That's not a good thing.

TNAW has the talent. They really do. They can be good. They really can. They just need to have...a goal. Something that they are aiming for. They have the TV deal, so they should have a new goal...which hopefully involves increasing ratings and getting more recognized. They'll do that by putting on good, memorable shows. They have a six-sided ring and an X-Division. They have the tools. Hell, they could even bring in some Lucha wrestlers again like WCW used. Have them open with a big six man match using Lucha rules like WCW used to do. People didn't talk about the Silver King's and El Dandy's the next day, but the match was good and it got the crowd hot for the show as a whole. A hot crowd can make everything seem more important, and the main event scene needs all the help that it can get right now.

Also, I think it's safe to say that people like Larry Zybysko and Dusty Rhodes don't really add anything to the product. TNAW shouldn't be trying to target the older demographic. They would clash with all the new things that TNAW is trying to do, like the X-Division, wouldn't they? I mean, think about it. If someone is tuning in to see Dusty Rhodes, they're probably wanting to see the type of wrestling that they watched when Dusty was still wrestling. That makes sense, right?

I guess Dusty & Larry seem to add some...lineage, I guess, to the shows? They help remind people of the history of the business? I don't really know...they seem like a waste of time, money & any other resources to me. I'd ditch the old bastards. I'm not running the promotion though. So, I guess while they are there, making them "judges" is...well, passable, I guess.

Obviously TNAW has it's problems. Every promotion does. TNAW can turn around in a hurry though. He'll, they've done it in the past. Sometimes the promotion seems like two different companies over the course of two weeks. It just depends on if things click. TNAW needs to do a better job of developing THEIR wrestlers instead of just trying to cash in on some of their rosters past. I mean, you can talk about a wrestlers history, but you have to make it a point to develop them on your own too. You know? I mean, look at BG James. Yeah, he's in 3LK, and he has a name change...but everyone still looks at him like The Road Dogg. That same with Disco Inferno. Glenn Gilberti? C'mon.... And what's up with Simon Diamond? "Irish" Pat Kenney? Oh man, that has to be one of the biggest mistakes ever.

Right now it just seems like some of the people on the roster are running at half speed. They seem to be around just to collect a paycheck. They need motivation, just like anyone else. TNAW should be doing their best to provide it. Sure, you can see people like Abyss and AJ Styles excell, because they are used a lot...but what about the other people? What about Konnan, or Johnny Swinger, or Sonny Siaki? They need to spread around the time...and wealth. Instead we have Dusty Rhodes, Larry Zybysko & a random referee getting PPV time.

That's what I see & think.

Guest TheJewof2001
Well, I'd say to give Abyss a shot at the top, however his character doesn't allow him to talk and Goldylocks is a horrible mouthpiece. Besides, it looks like Abyss & "Baby Bear" will be having some words sooner than later, and I'm sure Goldylocks will leave with Alex Shelley.

Ehh, I don't think that would be a good idea. I can't stand Abyss. He reminds me of Mankind and Kane mixed together, but he can't wrestle.

Well from what I have seen of him I don't think he can wrestle.

Guest Coffey

You must've not seen a lot of TNAW then. Abyss can go, plus his character makes sense. He's a big monster with unlimited strength. Him winning matches is believable. His offense is believable. If a wrestler ever goes over Abyss, it makes the wrestler instantly look credible.

He looks like a Mankind/Kane mixed together? Yeah, I guess if you're looking for ways to compare TNAW (a new federation) to the WWE (which has been around for YEARS).

Most TNAW fans like Abyss. Of course, recently he's been getting several squash matches. I think that's TNAW's way of trying to introduct him to the national TV crowd though. They're trying to re-establish him.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Abyss has obvious problems, but he could easily main event.

Coffey, if TNA is gonna be an alternative, than they can't have such obvious look alikes. Anyone who remembers kane and mankind will make the connection to them and Abyss. The build, the hair, the mask, the shtick, it's all very similar.

The two biggest things in his favor are natural power, which easily makes up for his build and look, and his moveset, which plays off that natural power. He's really such an easy figure to work with, because all you have to do to get him over is have him toss people around with force. He's not an incredibly smart wrestler and he doesn't have to be.

The problem is the look easily negates that. Make him a Jim Duggan-esque goofy but powerful face and make him and Sharkboy tag team champions for a year.

Guest Coffey

I just don't understand why everything has to be compared to WWE. No one really compares RoH to WWE, so why does TNAW have to be compared to WWE? It's like every wrestler who wears a mask from here to eternity will be mankind if fat or kane if big. Kane doesn't even wear a fucking mask anymore. If anything, Abyss looks like Hannibal Lector.

Guest Donners

I know when I showed a TNA tape to a WWE mark friend, the first thing he did upon seeing Abyss was call him a Kane ripoff. I honestly hadn't thought of it before then.

Guest TheJewof2001

I guess I just don't pay attention to Abyss because I just see a hoss and change the channel. Maybe I should pay attention next time.

Impact on the other hand has only one show and it's a paying show so the crowd in Orlando doesn't know who the wrestlers are (besides AJ, Jarrett, D'lo, and Sabu) because TNA doesn't let them cut promos and establish themselves to the audience who haven't ordered the shows. 

I think the crowd would know more than those four wrestlers, Konnan, James, Raven (even though he isn't there, they know him), and Dusty Rhodes. And why would the crowd know AJ Styles? To my knowledge, he was never in WWE or WCW on TV. He was mostly an Indy wrestler, not a major star.

It's sad when the only reasons the Orlando crowd knows who to cheer for is by the heel and face entrances and by Jeremy telling them before the show starts. TNA needs to treat Impact! like they don't have a PPV show.

What is so wrong about this? They are filming at Universal Studios, with people who are there on vacation. It is like these people are at a game show taping. If anything, TNA is lucky that they have a venue like this.

Why does it matter what Borash tells them to cheer for? We don't see it on TV and if the casual viewer doesn't know this, then why does it matter? That is because it doesn't.

If TNA doesn't change the direction of Impact! in the next 2 months (summer ends) I don't see them lasting too long on TV.

Impact! has a rating of a 0.3, which is tied with the highest rated show (The Best Damn Sport's Show) on FSN. If the ratings are good, why would they not be on TV anymore?

Plus, TNA is doing a great job at hyping the PPV. They seem to plan out in advance what is going to happen and actually know what ALL of the matches are on the PPV. Does WWE do this? Nope.

Guest Coffey

Right, and most people that would say that tend to only consider wrestling as WWE. Hell, most of them probably still call it WWF too.

It's like Coke. Not all soda is Coke, but it's become the generic name for it. Just like the abortion that is WWE is to wrestling. "Hey, did you watch wrestling?" Is like "Hey, did you watch WWF?"

Ask an actual wrestling fan what they think of Abyss. They won't start sprouting off whom he looks like. They'll start pointing out his workrate, moveset, selling, etc. That's what wrestling should be about...the wrestling.

Guest Salacious Crumb
I just don't understand why everything has to be compared to WWE. No one really compares RoH to WWE, so why does TNAW have to be compared to WWE? It's like every wrestler who wears a mask from here to eternity will be mankind if fat or kane if big. Kane doesn't even wear a fucking mask anymore. If anything, Abyss looks like Hannibal Lector.

You ran into this with WCW too though. Everything they did was in some way ripped off from the WWF no matter how little in common they had.

Remember the "OMG GOLDBERG IS AN AUSTIN RIPOFF!!!" crap that went on endlessly. Any sane person could tell you they were nothing alike accept for being bald and having black trunks. But like I said...... some people will just shit on anything that isn't the WWF.

Guest Coffey
Remember the "OMG GOLDBERG IS AN AUSTIN RIPOFF!!!" crap that went on endlessly. Any sane person could tell you they were nothing alike accept for being bald and having black trunks. But like I said...... some people will just shit on anything that isn't the WWF.

Yeah, that's true. Well, a lot of them don't really know anything outside of WWE either...but still consider themselves to be wrestling fans. That doesn't make you a wrestling fan, that makes you a WWE fan.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"I just don't understand why everything has to be compared to WWE. No one really compares RoH to WWE, so why does TNAW have to be compared to WWE? It's like every wrestler who wears a mask from here to eternity will be mankind if fat or kane if big. Kane doesn't even wear a fucking mask anymore. If anything, Abyss looks like Hannibal Lector. "

Because the WWE is there competition, there in the same business. You can't use specific characteristics of established persona's without leaving it open to comparison, especially when those persona's were most prominent during the boom period. If TNA had AJ shave his head, wear black tights and give the middle finger we'd make comparisons to Stone Cold, because it's obvious.

And if anything, your really stretching. ;)

"Right, and most people that would say that tend to only consider wrestling as WWE. Hell, most of them probably still call it WWF too."

When Kane and Mankind were around the main event the WWE was doing around 6.0, that's a shitload of people, basically the majority of american wrestling fans and beyond. Right now there doing around 3.5's, which is the majority of american wrestling fans and beyond. If someone is told about TNA, 98% of the time they'll have watched or do watch the WWE.

"It's like Coke. Not all soda is Coke, but it's become the generic name for it. Just like the abortion that is WWE is to wrestling. "Hey, did you watch wrestling?" Is like "Hey, did you watch WWF?""

Your overestimating the amount of american wrestling fans who've never heard of or watched WWE greatly. TNA can't go anywhere if they don't acknowledge the impact and existance of the WWE then and now on pro wrestling fans in america.

"Ask an actual wrestling fan what they think of Abyss. They won't start sprouting off whom he looks like. They'll start pointing out his workrate, moveset, selling, etc. That's what wrestling should be about...the wrestling"

Do you think every fan of wrestling has the internet? I mean workrate!? I sure remember looking at Stone Cold the first time and thinking "man what that guys got workrate....". Be serious.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Too bad TNA isn't competing with the WWF. Jarrett has made it fairly clear he has no intention of competing with the WWF for a long time. They have more of a competition going on with RoH than they do with the WWF.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

If Jeff's goal is for TNA to be succesful than he most certainly plans on competing with the WWE. There in the same business, there trying to attract the same fanbase, so they are competing. It's not highly competitive right now because TNA is basically an upstart national and WWE is an established, but unless TNA is all about going nowhere in terms of growth they are competitors.

Guest Salacious Crumb

You totally missed the point. You can be in the same business as someone else and not be competing with them. TNA is not competing with the WWF because they don't want to. For the most part they are only after the Smark population of the WWF. In TNA's mind they are competing more with RoH than the WWF.

Guest Coffey

If WWE is TNAW's competition because "they're in the same business" then that makes RoH, all Puro, all other Indy feds. all backyard feds, and everything else competition too...but no one mentions them.

If you want to talk about Characteristics, Mankind and Kane are both generic versions of Jushin Liger. Afterall, he wore a mask first. Kane is a generic Undertaker, right? So Abyss is a third rate Walker: Texas Taker? Does that mean Abyss can use the heart punch as an "old school" throwback to Mean Mark?

You can't deny that TNAW's initial fanbase came from the IWC. I doubt if said fanbase has left. The live crowds at Universal Studios isn't their fanbase. It's families on a vacation watching a free show.

You can be successful in this business without competing with WWE. One just needs to look overseas to prove it.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"You totally missed the point. You can be in the same business as someone else and not be competing with them. TNA is not competing with the WWF because they don't want to. For the most part they are only after the Smark population of the WWF. In TNA's mind they are competing more with RoH than the WWF. "

Your right, they don't want the 4-5-6 million wrestling fans that are already watching a national show. They'd rather go after people who aren't watching any wrestling.....right.....*shakes head*

"If WWE is TNAW's competition because "they're in the same business" then that makes RoH, all Puro, all other Indy feds. all backyard feds, and everything else competition too...but no one mentions them."

There are 5 nationally broadcasted pro wrestling shows in america, Raw, Smackdown, Heat, Velocity and now Impact. Try to come to terms with what that means.

"If you want to talk about Characteristics, Mankind and Kane are both generic versions of Jushin Liger. Afterall, he wore a mask first. Kane is a generic Undertaker, right? So Abyss is a third rate Walker: Texas Taker? Does that mean Abyss can use the heart punch as an "old school" throwback to Mean Mark?"

If you reach any harder your arm might fall off. Thanks for the laugh though.

"You can't deny that TNAW's initial fanbase came from the IWC. I doubt if said fanbase has left. The live crowds at Universal Studios isn't their fanbase. It's families on a vacation watching a free show."

If TNA plans on going somewhere, if they want to be succesful, make money, be able to offer workers the same job security the WWE can, than there gonna have to understand that there is NO WAY they can survive on fans who know insider terms like selling and workrate. I mean that thought alone makes you sound like you don't understand american wrestling at all.

"You can be successful in this business without competing with WWE. One just needs to look overseas to prove it. "

Your right, so let me know when TNA starts operating overseas.

Guest Coffey

p_report.gif

Easier than trying to explain myself just so you can ignore my points by telling me "I'm stretching" and that "my arm is going to fall off."

What is so wrong about this? They are filming at Universal Studios, with people who are there on vacation. It is like these people are at a game show taping. If anything, TNA is lucky that they have a venue like this

It's been said before, but not everyone watching Impact is on vacation with the family. You don't have to pay to get into the park to watch the show. It has a different entrance, and there aren't a lot of families in the crowd.

Impact! has a rating of a 0.3, which is tied with the highest rated show (The Best Damn Sport's Show) on FSN. If the ratings are good, why would they not be on TV anymore?

As Mike will quickly point out, and rightfully so, IMPACT isn't free to TNA. TNA pays to air the show, and could quickly run out of the money necessary to pay FSN for their airtime.

Your right, they don't want the 4-5-6 million wrestling fans that are already watching a national show. They'd rather go after people who aren't watching any wrestling.....right.....*shakes head*

TNA of course wants WWE fans to watch their show, but that's not the audience they're necessarily banking on. If you remember, when WWE was making 6.0's, WCW was scoring between 3.0-5.0 in the ratings as well. TNA wants that audience too. They're two different crowds, as you can tell by talking to people about wrestling. They're either WCW or WWF, and rarely both.

There are 5 nationally broadcasted pro wrestling shows in america, Raw, Smackdown, Heat, Velocity and now Impact. Try to come to terms with what that means.

If these shows were on the same night, it would be competition. But considering that RAW is on Mondays, Smackdown is on Thursdays, Heat is on Sundays, and Velocity is on Saturdays while IMPACT and the PPV are on Friday and Wednesday, they aren't necessarily competition. If being on TV means you are competing with WWE, then OVW, HWA, NWA Wildside, NACW, USA Pro, and several dozen other feds are competing with WWE as well.

than there gonna have to understand that there is NO WAY they can survive on fans who know insider terms like selling and workrate.

These fans held ECW afloat, and they could do the same for TNA long enough for them to establish themselves. Of course, TNA could also fall to pieces like ECW did, but that is up to TNA.

I'm not much of a TNA fan at all, so if that makes my opinions look like dogshit to people, then so be it.

Coffey:

You can be successful in this business without competing with WWE. One just needs to look overseas to prove it.

That's fine....if TNA was based in another country. TNA is based in North America, where WWE is the top dog. TNA is on PPV in North America, so they are directly competing with WWE for PPV dollars (buying one month of TNA = (roughly) the price of one WWE PPV).

If WWE is TNAW's competition because "they're in the same business" then that makes RoH, all Puro, all other Indy feds. all backyard feds, and everything else competition too...but no one mentions them.

TNA is mentioned because they have a weekly PPV show, and they have a weekly TV show on a fairly major cable network. When the rest of the feds do that, then they can get thrown in the discussion as well.

You can't deny that TNAW's initial fanbase came from the IWC. I doubt if said fanbase has left. The live crowds at Universal Studios isn't their fanbase. It's families on a vacation watching a free show.

Like Nelly said, TNA is going to have to change that if they want to become something. Of course, the catch to that is if they make money, get more exposure and create some good stars....WWE may take a closer look at them, and that might not be good for TNA.

Mad Dog:

You totally missed the point. You can be in the same business as someone else and not be competing with them. TNA is not competing with the WWF because they don't want to. For the most part they are only after the Smark population of the WWF. In TNA's mind they are competing more with RoH than the WWF.

TNA has a TV deal and a weekly PPV....I'd say they are pretty ahead of RoH right now. And the percentage of Smarks that watch WWE, while probably increasing every year, is still probably a pretty small percentage of WWE's total audience. You can't really depend on a small niche audience to keep you above water for very long.

The BigSwigg:

TNA of course wants WWE fans to watch their show, but that's not the audience they're necessarily banking on. If you remember, when WWE was making 6.0's, WCW was scoring between 3.0-5.0 in the ratings as well. TNA wants that audience too. They're two different crowds, as you can tell by talking to people about wrestling. They're either WCW or WWF, and rarely both.

Ok, fine, but those WCW fans that left after WCW folded may not want to watch TNA for a number of reasons (don't like wrestling anymore, don't like TNA), so it may be tough to recruit them. Like it or not, to build an audience, TNA is probably looking at at least convincing WWE fans to watch their product as an "alternative" to WWE and hope they stay tuned.

If you think TNA can become successful AND be immune from the WWE, you're dreaming. Vince wouldn't think twice before raiding a competitor. Now I'm not saying TNA should just stay where they are right now, but that's a reality they have to deal with.

Edited by Kingpk

Guest TheJewof2001
It's been said before, but not everyone watching Impact is on vacation with the family. You don't have to pay to get into the park to watch the show. It has a different entrance, and there aren't a lot of families in the crowd.

Who said this? Please give me a link to either Dave from WON or PWInsider.com, or I don't believe it.

As Mike will quickly point out, and rightfully so, IMPACT isn't free to TNA. TNA pays to air the show, and could quickly run out of the money necessary to pay FSN for their airtime.

First off, shows that are on TV have a contract with the channel they are being aired on. TNA signed a one year contract with FSN, in which FSN will show TNA's programming. TNA doesn't pay to be on TV, FSN pays them through the advertisers. That is how TV works.

And IF TNA was paying to be on FSN, they would make sure they have enough money before they got into it. But that doesn't matter because it doesn't work like that.

If these shows were on the same night, it would be competition. But considering that RAW is on Mondays, Smackdown is on Thursdays, Heat is on Sundays, and Velocity is on Saturdays while IMPACT and the PPV are on Friday and Wednesday, they aren't necessarily competition. If being on TV means you are competing with WWE, then OVW, HWA, NWA Wildside, NACW, USA Pro, and several dozen other feds are competing with WWE as well.

You don't have to be on the same night to compete with eachother. When the ABA and NBA were both around, they were competing with eachother. Same with the AFL and NFL. So when WCW wasn't airing Nitro, they weren't competing with WWF? Of course they were.

TNA is in the wrestling business and so is WWE. If a fan decides to buy TNA's Wednesday PPV for a month, and doesn't decided to buy a WWE PPV, WWE lost some money there. In just that one example, TNA is comepeting with WWE.

No offense, but saying that TNA and WWE aren't comepting is ludacris.

Guest MikeSC

I really don't see indy fans calling their promotions anything but indy feds. TNA is trying to be a national promotion --- which means it's comparable to the WWE. That's the nature of the beast. It's like saying the XFL shouldn't have been compared to the NFL.

If you want to talk about Characteristics, Mankind and Kane are both generic versions of Jushin Liger. Afterall, he wore a mask first.

Um, that's a really big, illogical, nonsensical stretch. Abyss IS similar, in character, to Mankind and Kane. It's not just the mask. Heck, when I saw Abyss' reaction to Goldilocks celebrating with Alex Shelley a few weeks ago, it reeked of something we saw out of Kane years ago.

Kane is a generic Undertaker, right? So Abyss is a third rate Walker: Texas Taker? Does that mean Abyss can use the heart punch as an "old school" throwback to Mean Mark?

If you wish to argue that the original Kane was an UT ripoff, I actually wouldn't disagree. Now, he's clearly substantially different.

That's because WWE isn't trying to compete overseas.

First off, shows that are on TV have a contract with the channel they are being aired on. TNA signed a one year contract with FSN, in which FSN will show TNA's programming. TNA doesn't pay to be on TV, FSN pays them through the advertisers. That is how TV works.

You could not be more incorrect. Impact is, when it's all said and done, an infomercial. No different than the exercise machine infomercials you see in the morning. They pay $30,000/week to air the show. The moment the check doesn't clear is the moment they cease to air.

TNA sells ad time on their show to try and recoup a little money. That's why FSN doesn't ever replay their show or anything.

-=Mike

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"Easier than trying to explain myself just so you can ignore my points by telling me "I'm stretching" and that "my arm is going to fall off." "

Your the biggest joke on these forums, rather than actually debate anything or concede that you were stretching, WHICH YOU OBVIOUSLY WERE, you pull the troll card. What a little bitch.

"TNA of course wants WWE fans to watch their show, but that's not the audience they're necessarily banking on. If you remember, when WWE was making 6.0's, WCW was scoring between 3.0-5.0 in the ratings as well. TNA wants that audience too. They're two different crowds, as you can tell by talking to people about wrestling. They're either WCW or WWF, and rarely both."

They have to bank on it. That 3.0-5.0 isn't watching wrestling, they've moved on or are unsatisfied, there's no way you can suggest TNA should go after an audience that no longer exists. The WWE holds the american wrestling fanbase, and that's the fanbase there going for.

"If these shows were on the same night, it would be competition. But considering that RAW is on Mondays, Smackdown is on Thursdays, Heat is on Sundays, and Velocity is on Saturdays while IMPACT and the PPV are on Friday and Wednesday, they aren't necessarily competition. If being on TV means you are competing with WWE, then OVW, HWA, NWA Wildside, NACW, USA Pro, and several dozen other feds are competing with WWE as well."

NATIONAL TV DEAL. Only two company's have national TV deals, TNA and the WWE. There both after the same audience, and there both using similar means to get that audience. THATS COMPETITION. If I start up a dodgeball league show on FX, where we hold dodgeball tournaments, and someone else does the same thing on MTV, we're competiting, we're after the same audience, we're presenting the same basic product, we're competiting.

"These fans held ECW afloat, and they could do the same for TNA long enough for them to establish themselves. Of course, TNA could also fall to pieces like ECW did, but that is up to TNA."

ECW is dead, so apparently they didn't.

Ok, fine, but those WCW fans that left after WCW folded may not want to watch TNA for a number of reasons (don't like wrestling anymore, don't like TNA), so it may be tough to recruit them. Like it or not, to build an audience, TNA is probably looking at at least convincing WWE fans to watch their product as an "alternative" to WWE and hope they stay tuned.

As I said, TNA isn't ignoring the WWE fan, but hoping the WCW fan will watch their show and enjoy it because it is an alternative. And as we've said before here, much to the chagrin of some, TNA is A LOT like WCW in almost every possible way. Mostly because it's run by the same people who were running WCW a few years ago. (Russo, etc.)

If you think TNA can become successful AND be immune from the WWE, you're dreaming. Vince wouldn't think twice before raiding a competitor. Now I'm not saying TNA should just stay where they are right now, but that's a reality they have to deal with.

I don't think they'll be immune from WWE, I just don't think they're going to try to chop down McMahon's throne and replace it with the Jarrett's. There are ways to be similar products and NOT compete. Pepsi and Coke are similar, and they do have competition, but Pepsi drinkers are Pepsi drinkers and Coke drinkers are Coke drinkers. Two distinct flavors, but a similar product. This is what TNA wants to do right now. Be civil with Vince until he goes from being the Faygo to being the Pepsi to Vince's Coke.

They have to bank on it. That 3.0-5.0 isn't watching wrestling, they've moved on or are unsatisfied, there's no way you can suggest TNA should go after an audience that no longer exists. The WWE holds the american wrestling fanbase, and that's the fanbase there going for.

First off, that fanbase still exists. They just don't watch WWE. Does the Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanbase become non-existent because the show is cancelled? No, there are still Buffy fans. Same idea. Those WCW fans who don't watch WWE don't watch WWE because they don't like WWE. It's the Pepsi and Coke argument. Therefore, the fanbase is still there, but just not watching what they're offered because they don't like it.

ECW is dead, so apparently they didn't.

Yes, ECW is dead NOW. But that's not wholely because of the fans. They kept ECW alive as much as they could, and finally the money caught up to Heyman. This COULD happen to TNA, but TNA could also catch on to the other fans and grow from there. It's a crapshoot, but the odds are possibly in TNA's favor if they start making money instead of using Panda as a credit card.

You could not be more incorrect. Impact is, when it's all said and done, an infomercial. No different than the exercise machine infomercials you see in the morning. They pay $30,000/week to air the show. The moment the check doesn't clear is the moment they cease to air.

TNA sells ad time on their show to try and recoup a little money. That's why FSN doesn't ever replay their show or anything.

-=Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Who said this? Please give me a link to either Dave from WON or PWInsider.com, or I don't believe it.

If you read back through the folder some, you'll find that there are several posters who have been to the park and watched the show. They went through a seperate entrance, and didn't have to buy into the park. If you don't believe it because WON or PWInsider didn't say it, then I'm sorry.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

"As I said, TNA isn't ignoring the WWE fan, but hoping the WCW fan will watch their show and enjoy it because it is an alternative. And as we've said before here, much to the chagrin of some, TNA is A LOT like WCW in almost every possible way. Mostly because it's run by the same people who were running WCW a few years ago. (Russo, etc.)"

That'd be nice if you actually believe WCW fans have been sitting around for 3-4 years waiting for a different wrestling fed, and once they all hear about it TNA's gonna blow up. Those fans are gone, some don't have the time, some are watching WWE, some are watching just something else, most aren't interested in wrestling anymore or have simply grown away from it. The only shot they have at getting those fans is a massive national ad campaign hyping the rebirth of WCW, and I don't think anyone wants to see that. There best move is to go for existing wrestling fans, and there watching the WWE.

"I don't think they'll be immune from WWE, I just don't think they're going to try to chop down McMahon's throne and replace it with the Jarrett's. There are ways to be similar products and NOT compete. Pepsi and Coke are similar, and they do have competition, but Pepsi drinkers are Pepsi drinkers and Coke drinkers are Coke drinkers. Two distinct flavors, but a similar product. This is what TNA wants to do right now. Be civil with Vince until he goes from being the Faygo to being the Pepsi to Vince's Coke. "

It's not intense competition because there not on the same level, but as long as there in the same business, they will be competing for the same audience. Just because Jarret wants to be humble for whatever reason doesn't mean there not competing.

"Yes, ECW is dead NOW. But that's not wholely because of the fans. They kept ECW alive as much as they could, and finally the money caught up to Heyman. This COULD happen to TNA, but TNA could also catch on to the other fans and grow from there. It's a crapshoot, but the odds are possibly in TNA's favor if they start making money instead of using Panda as a credit card."

Why do you think the money caught up to Heyman? Because the fanbase wasn't large enough. I don't think I'll ever understand the thought process behind 'tna should go after the IWC because they kept ECW alive even though it's been dead for years'. Forget ECW's fanbase has disintigrated the same way WCW's has, forget that the majority of that fanbase was never the IWC, but WWE and WCW fans who were attracted to the extremity, forget all of that, and you still have to understand the IWC just isn't big enough for a company to rely on as a fanbase. It might be in a couple years, but right now it's not.