TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Nah, you mean it's time for Hawkins to blow the game. I love him as an addition to the club in the set-up man role, but he's awful when it comes to the ninth inning. I figured they were going to win, so I'm just happy that they didn't get no-hit and made things interesting for a bit there. Remember, though, it would've just been a tied game at 3-3 if Sosa had been able to get the job done and get a hit in the 9th.

It doesn't matter..

you don't win games when you go down 6 early.

You play to win.

Not this year, you don't.

You've got young arms to save and, in George's case, young arms that need some bad experiences to learn from. The Royals aren't going anywhere this season - time to let them see what the "kids" have in them, exactly.

Guest FrigidSoul

Milton gave me a great game but the Fantasy Gods are against my pitchers picking up the W for some reason.

Milton's having a spectacular season though. I bet some team out there will overpay for his services in the off-season. I'm looking at you Baltimore.

Guest FrigidSoul
In 2005, Baltimore is gonna have the third-highest payroll in the major leagues and still finish below .500, fourth in the NL East. They're like the NY Rangers of baseball.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here for obvious reasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Baltimore sign Milton and Milwood to absurd contract in the off-season.

Meanwhile in a move to piss off thousands of fans, the Royals are considering trading Mike Sweeney to the Mariners for Gil Meche and minor leaguers.

It makes no fucking sense. And i'm sure it'd go over well with the thousands of Sweeney fans

Guest FrigidSoul

Why would the Mariners want him though? They're sellers this year and taking on that contract doesn't seem to make sense. Not to mention they have Bucky Jacobsen who can give them production for at least the next 2 years. If Sweeney is going to DH then that takes Edgar out of the equation.

If Sweeney goes anywhere it would be to the Dodgers, Red Sox, or Braves. Unless Bavasi is that fucking stupid.

Guest FrigidSoul

Not completely. It would be a tremendous salary dump for a guy plagued with back injuries. Gil Meche gives them some pitching...I mean he can't do worse than what they have in some parts of the rotation.

1B shouldn't be a problem to fill this off-season. There's alot of talent in FA and the Royals could take the money they owed Sweeney and put it towards one of these guys.

Carlos Delgado

Richie Sexon

J.T. Snow (option pending)

Troy Glaus (It might be better for him health wise to move to first)

Brad Fullmer

Tino Martinez (option pending)

Travis Lee

David Segui

Raffy Palmeiro (option pending)

Gil Meche gives them some pitching?

You haven't checked his stats, have you?

Majors: 10 games started, 1-5, 7.06 ERA

AAA: 9 games started, 1-3, 5.76 ERA

And these are in pitchers parks (Seattle and Tacoma)

Meche sucks. The guys who are demoted off of last place teams aren't that valuable.

It would be a tremendous salary dump for a guy plagued with back injuries.

It would be a tremendous dump for the only power hitter on the team.

There's alot of talent in FA and the Royals could take the money they owed Sweeney and put it towards one of these guys.

So, we should trade our most popular player and then pay 11 million for another first baseman?

Oooook.. that'll go over well. Especially with the people who claim that the Royals got ripped off for Beltran and the people who think Glass won't put money into the team.

Guest FrigidSoul

Gil Meche isn't even making $2mill though. You wouldn't also just save $11mill, in total you would save $42mill.

Mike Sweeney has said he doesn't want to stay around for another rebuilding period anyways, so I don't see the big deal.

You could grab Troy Glaus for like $8-9mill a year over 3 season and throw him at first base while Teahan plays third. That's a good corner infield and you still save $15-18mill to upgrade other parts like second base. Hell, imagine if you got Nomar in the off-season along with Troy Glaus just because you were able to dump Sweeney's salary. Berroa gets moved to second. Wouldn't you prefer Nomar and Glaus to just Sweeney with Harvey now DHing and not killing his teamates on the field by trying to throw the ball? There's alot that can be done with that $42mill.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame
You could grab Troy Glaus for like $8-9mill a year over 3 season and throw him at first base while Teahan plays third.

No way - he stays an Angel!

Guest FrigidSoul

Watched the whole thing. Molitor's speach was pretty boring, but Eck's conveyed alot of emotion.

Gil Meche isn't even making $2mill though. You wouldn't also just save $11mill, in total you would save $42mill.

Mike Sweeney has said he doesn't want to stay around for another rebuilding period anyways, so I don't see the big deal.

You could grab Troy Glaus for like $8-9mill a year over 3 season and throw him at first base while Teahan plays third. That's a good corner infield and you still save $15-18mill to upgrade other parts like second base. Hell, imagine if you got Nomar in the off-season along with Troy Glaus just because you were able to dump Sweeney's salary. Berroa gets moved to second. Wouldn't you prefer Nomar and Glaus to just Sweeney with Harvey now DHing and not killing his teamates on the field by trying to throw the ball? There's alot that can be done with that $42mill.

Hell would freeze over before Glaus and Garciaparra sign with Kansas City.

When it comes to money for the off season, the Royals have shed about $11.2 million this year (Grimsley, Leskanic, Beltran). They'll probably dump Gonzalez over the offseason (He could have come back this week, but his back is feeling worse), he got $4M this year, he'd get $7M next year.

Not to mention the money from revenue sharing.

Plus, it's a horrible PR move to trade the most popular player on the team and the only major one who resigned with the team instead of going for FA.

Getting rid of Sweeney is a good thing, if you get a decent return.

Getting Gil Meche and any prospect not named Jeremy Reed is a very, very bad thing.

Getting Gil Meche period is pretty bad.

Of course, Sweeney's so injury-prone that there's no way that any worthwhile prospect is coming...so the Royals are just absolutely screwed for trading him.

And the Royals aren't going to get any of those guys on the market - that would require them outbidding other clubs, all of which have more payroll room to throw around. If they were going to get anybody, I actually think it could be Troy Glaus, just because he's so injury prone that his price might drop within reach.

If this was discussed earlier sorry.

Congrats to two deserving HOFers Paul Molitor and Dennis Eckersley.

Even bigger congrats to Rick Manning for stealing Eck's wife, and ending Molies 39 game hit streak.

Looking over the standings, I noticed the Giants are third in the NL in runs scored, despite playing in a tough park for hitters. So Barry Bonds' offensive efforts are not in vain. There's your MVP.

Guest FrigidSoul

Edgardo Alfonzo has had a much better year offensively and Marquis Grissom has been no slouch either. Its not all Bonds.