TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
godthedog

top 5 favorite anything

I borrowed Stranger than Paradise from the public library. It was pretty good, but I like Jarmusch's Dead Man much better for the same "dreamy dreary atmosphere" quality.

I'd say Dead Man is easily equal to, if not better than, Stranger Than Paradise. It easily surpases its predecessor in creating a completely familiar yet wholly alien universe.

Dead Man's a hard one to love, granted, it just happened to hit me in just the right spot.

Dead Man (and everything else he's done (especially Dead Flowers)) just feels forced and affected to me. It's like Jarmusch decided what kind of atmosphere he wanted the film to have and then set about constructing the characters and plot andc. around that atmosphere. It's little more than an exercise in pure style that seems to be trying in vain to be something more than that.

i liked 'broken flowers' a lot the first time i saw it. so much that i saw it again at the theater the next weekend (which i haven't done since 'ghost world' in 2001, and that shouldn't even count since that was playing at the student center which only cost me $2).

but seeing it again, there was absolutely nothing there and it just bored the shit out of me, so i left after 45 minutes or so.

top 5 uses of voiceover narration:

1. badlands

2. the big lebowski

3. taxi driver

4. amelie

5. jules & jim

2-5 vacillate a little for me, but number 1 cannot be disputed. absolutely the best thing about a very very good movie.

top 5 shittiest piece of shit i've watched in the last month:

1. crash

2. crash

3. crash

4. crash

5. crash

Oh, Badlands. What a terrific fucking thing. Malick never even came close to equaling it.

The appeal of Dead Man lies, to me, in numerous things. Neil Young's score, the gorgeous cinematography, the deadpan humor.

Like I said, though, it's a hard one to love. A bit like a retarded child.

I absolutely loved the last ten-or-so minutes of Broken Flowers, but was miserably bored by most everything that proceeded it.

The final shot, though, was undermined (only slightly) by sticking around for the end credits and learning that the guy in the car was played by Murray's real life son. That doesn't mean that it was his character's son in the car, but it certainly wrecks the ambiguity of it.

Anyway, Jarmusch seems uninterested in letting his characters be human beings. Were it not for my enjoying Ghost Dog (and the closing sequence of BF), I'd have written the guy off as a lost cause long ago. Still, he has one arguably great movie (Stranger Than Paradise), one very, very good one (Down by Law), two good, if nothing spectacular ones (Mystery Train and Ghost Dog), and the rest, which are so-so to awful.

Down by Law is one of my all time favorites. The first 30 minutes or so of exposition is pretty slow and dull, but once they get to jail it grabs my interest and doesn't let go. The film also includes some of my favorite all-time moments: I Scream You Scream, Roberto's story about cooking the rabbit, and near the end with Roberto dancing with his wife.

Undeclared episodes:

1. Eric Visits

2. Truth or Dare

3. The Day After

4. The Perfect Date

5. Eric Visits Again

"BRING THE RUCKUS!! BRING THE RUCKUS!!" from #5 might be my favorite Eric line if it wasn't for "Put that thing away." in #1. Why did this show have to be cancelled.

Freaks & Geeks:

1. The Little Things

2. Discos and Dragons

3. Smooching and Mooching

4. Carded and Discarded

5. The Garage Door

Top 5 Favorite SNL Castmembers

5. Will Ferrell

4. Dan Akroyd

3. Jon Lovitz

2. Bill Murray

1. Phil Hartman

Top five favorite short lived TV comedies

5. Andy Richter Controls The Universe (When the fuck are they going to release this on DVD?)

4. Undeclared

3. The Ben Stiller Show

2. Freaks and Geeks

1. The Critic

Funny that 4 out of 5 of them were on the Fox network for at least one part of their run.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Cock Ring Warehouse

Balloon Up My Ass To Spain

Grass Valley Greg

Pre-Taped Call-In Show

Intervention

This'll change.

Top Five Reasons Clarence Boddicker Is Awesome

1. His name

2. His glasses

3. He killed Robocop

4. He says funny lines like "bitches leave" and "Bobby, can you fly?"

5. His hair, or soon-to-be lack thereof

Honorable mention: That giant grenade launcher thing. Actually, that should probably be #5 instead of his admittedly supercool baldingness.

24 Moments

1. George Mason goes kamikaze (Season 2)

2. Death of Victor Drazen (Season 1)

3. Logan is teh bad guy! (Season 5)

4. Nina returns (Season 3)

5. Henderson kills Tony (Season 5)

Top 5 use of a song on a TV series

5. Hide And Seek - Imogen Heap / The OC, Marissa shoot Trey

4. Rebellion ( Lies ) - Arcade Fire / The Black Donnelys, the end of the pilot

3. Hell around the corner - Tricky / Rescue Me, Everybody learn about Jimmy's death

2. Overcome - Live / The end of operation Money Train

1. Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins / The Shield, Vic tell Lem he needs to hide in Mexico

Top 5 Twilight Zone episodes with Jack Klugman

1. A Game of Pool

2. A Passage for Trumpet

3. In Praise of Pip

4. Death Ship

5. ....................

All the Hollywood big wigs who keep calling Nancy Meyers a "genius" really need to see "What Women Want". What an utter piece of garbage.

Edit: Wrong thread

Top 5 use of a song on a TV series

5. Hide And Seek - Imogen Heap / The OC, Marissa shoot Trey

4. Rebellion ( Lies ) - Arcade Fire / The Black Donnelys, the end of the pilot

3. Hell around the corner - Tricky / Rescue Me, Everybody learn about Jimmy's death

2. Overcome - Live / The end of operation Money Train

1. Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins / The Shield, Vic tell Lem he needs to hide in Mexico

I might have to add Scrubs when they used How to Save a Life. For those that have never seen it:

It is one intense scene for a comedy.

Yeah, and that was before it was played to death on the radio.

Very true, they seemed to have played many songs before they were popular.