TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jobber of the Week

Maven and tough enough

Guest Jobber of the Week

I don't understand why this guy is getting the push he is. I don't know why the booking team is finally giving Al Snow a chance to wrestle on TV again now that they paired him up with a COMPLETELY GREEN guy. I don't know why he has no character going whatsoever while the second season of Tough Enough cuts someone for not being able to improvise a compelling character.

Can I continue? Okay, thanks.

I have no idea why he was put on a WrestleMania card, let alone being above RVD and just below Angle. I cannot fathom why they bother guys like HHH and the Dudleys and the Big Show to come in and talk about paying your dues when, judging by the speed of his TV push, Maven obviously hasn't gone down to Ohio and paid his respects to Droz or what have you.

And most especially, I cannot begin to wonder why they're trying to create superstars off the "Well, he tries hard" system when there's plenty of guys who have been training for ages who could put on a much better show with that contract.

If Tough Enough survives to be regular occasion for the WWF, can we just have an MTV belt or something for them all to fight over? IMO, Maven is getting the third largest push I've seen in recent years, next to Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar. I don't really think I like it.

Guest Mik at Cornell

One simple reason, Maven is over. Sure, he's not crazy over, but he's over and fans react to him. That's all you need. Green or not, he's better than some who have gotten bigger pushes. (Ahmed Johnson, etc.)

IMO, Maven is getting the third largest push I've seen in recent years, next to Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar

What the fuck? There a people getting bigger pushes than Maven right now even.

Guest Mark4steamboat

Maven does have potential and he's just the right size. he debuted too quickly and he should have at least learned a finisher besides the DROPKICK OF UTTER DISDAIN! (or doom whichever you are more comfortable with)

Guest evenflowDDT

Maven definitely needed to pay his dues, and even though I still don't like him at all, he has gotten better through his forced exposure.  I mean, he has at least doubled his moveset in the past month, even though he still has no character or finisher (I wouldn't call the top-rope cross-body a finisher yet because its only gotten a pinfall once and he doesn't call for it or anything).

Guest One Bad Apple
I don't understand why this guy is getting the push he is.

To promote the second season of Tough Enough.  Yes, the ratings aren't great, but they might be even lower if Maven was getting beat on Jakked every week.  Who would tune in to see the next Funaki?  Heck, you wouldn't even be seeing that.

Because there is only one Funaki.

I don't know why the booking team is finally giving Al Snow a chance to wrestle on TV again now that they paired him up with a COMPLETELY GREEN guy.

A completely green guy everyone knows he trained.  Why doesn't that make sense?

I don't know why he has no character going whatsoever while the second season of Tough Enough cuts someone for not being able to improvise a compelling character.

The difference between the kid who was cut and Al Snow is easy—Al Snow can play a decent character, Danny couldn't.  Just because Al Snow isn't compelling at the moment doesn't mean he can't be.

And Al does have a character, albeit not much of one.  But, in his defense, he hasn't exactly been given much to work with.

I have no idea why he was put on a WrestleMania card, let alone being above RVD and just below Angle.

Placement on the card doesn't mean much of anything.  I mean ... if you think RVD is below Maven in the WWF pecking order, I'd say you're a fucking dimwit.

Lemme expound on this for ya.

RVD faced Undertaker on a recent Raw.  The following match, which happened right before the main event, was Perfect versus Big Show.  Does that mean Perfect is getting pushed more than Van Dam or is anywhere close to being a main-eventer?  Common sense and the fact that Perfect's lost to him twice already should say otherwise ... but you tell me.

And most especially, I cannot begin to wonder why they're trying to create superstars off the "Well, he tries hard" system when there's plenty of guys who have been training for ages who could put on a much better show with that contract.

Maven isn't getting a push because "he tries hard," if that's what you were meant.  Sure, that helps, but that's not the main reason.

IMO, Maven is getting the third largest push I've seen in recent years, next to Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar.

Are you talking about newcomers to professional wrestling or newcomers to the WWF?

I don't really think I like it.

Thank you for clarifying, because the rest of your post was so ambivalent.

crossbody from the top rope. STEAMBOAT STYLE BABYEE~!

Thats not really his finisher. It was just a fluke move. Anyway the guy was brought up way too fast. He needs alot of seasoning. How long has he been trained before he started in the WWF?

Guest evenflowDDT
Im just curious Evenflow...what did Waters mean by good bad taste and bad bad taste?

Given that it's John Waters and I don't know what context the quote was taken from, I have no idea.  What I believe he's trying to say is that movies like his, that push the bounds of "good taste" but are really harmless other than that fall under good bad taste, but movies/songs/etc. that are made specifically to be hateful or insult someone/something are bad bad taste.  For example, in the Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes death thread, insulting her or her style of music would be bad bad taste, I suppose.

Guest dreamer420

In the time we live in now the WWF can take Maven, teach him two or three moves and then stick him on Smackdown weekly.  They can do that and make it believable because in the age of 1, 2, and 3 minute matches it works for him.