TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Your teams 3 untouchable players

Phillies

1. Thome

2. Abreu

3. Madson

Difference from al's being Madson over Floyd. Personally, I go with Madson because he has proven himself at the major league level. While Floyd may have the ability, I just like the certainty of Madson more.

Zack Greinke

Jeremy Affeldt

David DeJesus

aww yeah

Honorable Mention: Matt Stairs, Ken Harvey

I've heard people wanting to trade Harvey and all that.

Affeldt has ridiculous stuff that would be best suited for the closer position (where his finger wouldn't combust every other outing).

But a team this lousy doesn't really need a closer. He has good stuff and all. It just seems unneeded.

Once DeJesus learns how to, you know, hit, he should be a decent CF (though the "heir apparent to Beltran" insanity has got to stop immediately).

Since the trade, DeJesus is hitting .273 with 7 walks. That's pretty good.

Harvey's not amazing, but he's decent and, even though Stairs doesn't seem like a worthy option, he's got plenty of value as a hitter and (most importantly for Kansas City) he's CHEAP.

Harvey just hit a home run. And yeah, he could put on a proper batting grip and all.

Stairs is popular and blue-collar and all that.

Sweeney's an unmitigated disaster - the contract was a great show of loyalty, but it may set the franchise back at least two years.

How so?

Gobble might as well be called Captain Mediocrity

Damn right

the Real Angel Berroa was last seen playing cards with Bob Hamelin

Berroa is drawing more walks.

April though June: 7 walks

July: 6 walks

and MacDougal's too busy shooting the next entry in the Major League series.

He needs to get laid. EOS.

The Royals are an absolute mess...and the last decade has been decidedly L.A. Clipper-esque for the team.  Here's to 2024, I suppose.

Bleh

Sweeney gets $11 million a year to hit around .300 (which he isn't doing), hit 25 homers, and sit on the DL for a third of the year.

Meanwhile, Carlos Beltran, arguably the best talent the franchise has seen since George Brett, is packaged away for three carbon-based trinkets (tm, BPro) due to monetary concerns.

Yankees fans: Where's A-Rod?

Jeter and Rivera are the no brainers as they are the championship holdovers, the spiritual leaders and face of the franchise.

My #3 came down to A-Rod and Posada. I love Posada, and I understand why Yankees fans would deem him untouchable, he IS more of a Yankee than A-Rod at this point, but A-Rod is one of the two best players in the game and tied up for a long time, he's untouchable because of who he is and because I don't think Steinbrenner would trade him. The other thing going for leaving Posada off the list is that one of the Yankees few blue chip prospects is a catcher, I believe in AA right now.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

K-Rod

Vlad

Weaver (based entirely on potential right now...)

Honestly I do not know if the Reds have 3 untouchable players right now. I am not going to include prospects in the minors, only guys on the 40 man roster. I will say:

- Wily Mo Pena

- Sean Casey

- Brandon Claussen

Dioner Navarro

He was actually promoted to Columbus about a month ago and the consensus seems to be that he's a good contact hitter to both sides of the field and good defender who's only weakness is a lack of power, but they said the same thing about Piazza, Posada, Mauer and other young catchers. I wouldn't be surprised if Navarro develops power similar to that of Pudge or Posada as he matures. He's also a switch hitter, with very low K numbers.

Because of him and because he'll probably be in the bigs in a year or two I can't put Posada ahead of A-Rod, and I'll be really pissed if we trade this kid for short-term help because Jorge is getting old for a catcher and making a lot of money.

I think Moyer is definitely available, he's had an up and down year and he's pretty fuckin' old. If a team like the Mets came calling I bet they'd deal.

From the major league roster it's probably Ichiro, Olivio and Soriano, maybe Pineiro.

Guest GreatOne

Travis Blackley'll join that list once he learns to start throwing strikes again.

J.J. Putz definitely ain't on it anymore.............

I think Moyer is definitely available, he's had an up and down year and he's pretty fuckin' old. If a team like the Mets came calling I bet they'd deal.

Teams have inquired about Moyer and the Mariners have turned them down. He's still under contract for next year.

Guest Rrrsh

Teams have inquired about Moyer and the Mariners have turned them down. He's still under contract for next year.

If I am teh Mariners, I definatly trade him. Other than Ichiro and MAYBE Boone, no establish star shoudl be untochable. Moyer along with Ibanez should get some decent value.

I'm in total agreement with Frigid with excption to Youkilis...he's really really really overrated.

Great eye.

Average bat.

Below average Defense.

Because of his age, Sean Casey is available, and because he is 22 and has at least 3 more years of cheap pay, I think Wily Mo should be on the list.

Guest FrigidSoul
I'm in total agreement with Frigid with excption to Youkilis...he's really really really overrated.

Great eye.

Average bat.

Below average Defense.

That's why he'll be moving to first base. He has the range for the position and he can catch a throw. I think he's the starting first baseman next season to be honest.

He's got more than an average bat too. A third of his hits are for extra bases. He's only going to get better with age too.

Guest Anglesault
Weaver (based entirely on potential right now...)

Of course, you have to consider the genes involved here.

He'll break your heart at some point. It's what Weavers do.

Sweeney gets $11 million a year to hit around .300 (which he isn't doing), hit 25 homers, and sit on the DL for a third of the year.

Sweeney hasn't been on the DL this year.

And the numbers project out to 31 home runs and he's hitting .284 at the moment.

Meanwhile, Carlos Beltran, arguably the best talent the franchise has seen since George Brett, is packaged away for three carbon-based trinkets (tm, BPro) due to monetary concerns.

Like Scott Boras would have allowed that anyways.

And if the team doesn't resign Sweeney, that reduces their shot at resigning Beltran. Because Beltran wants to play on a winning team. And as a 4-tool talent, he's probably on his way out of Houston. Partly because the team started to crumble in the last few weeks. Although the fact that he's demanding the team change their part for him is.. charming.