TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salacious Crumb

ESPN Top 25 Coaches......

Guest Salacious Crumb

How the hell did Steve Spurrier make the top 25 coaches? Shouldn't the Redskins debacle completely disqualify from being on it. At least someone on ATH had the nerve to bring it up. Sure he was great in college but he showed that he had no flexibility in the NFL.

I'm not really surprised Coach K was no.1 with the way ESPN treats him like a god. Dickie V was probably on a ledge threatening to jump if they put him any lower.

Guest Anglesault
I'm not really surprised Coach K was no.1 with the way ESPN treats him like a god. Dickie V was probably on a ledge threatening to jump if they put him any lower.

I thought Dean Smith was number one.

Guest Dumb Fuck

I can't sit through these 25 lists...

Why does there have to be these strippers saying "Eight.. eight... eight.. eight..." 20 times during the show, and review the 25 a handful of times.

Just seems like such a waste of time.

Guest Vitamin X

What are the qualifications needed for it?

Vince has to be at least one of the top 10 coaches of all-time, I don't care what sport. Especially if Steve fucking Spurrier made it. I'm offended.

Guest Smues

#1 was Dean Smith. Coach K was #3. #2 was Scotty Bowman. Other then the usual bitching at how FUCKING TERRIBLE the format of the shows is my only complaint is leaving Bobby Cox off the list.

#1 was Dean Smith. Coach K was #3. #2 was Scotty Bowman. Other then the usual bitching at how FUCKING TERRIBLE the format of the shows is my only complaint is leaving Bobby Cox off the list.

Bobby Cox isn't in the top 500 of the last 25 years. He'd be overrated, but that would mean that anyone not a Braves fan would have to actually rate him somewhere. Seriously his ability to turn a powerhouse into a nearly could have is absolutely astounding.

I can't sit through these 25 lists...

Why does there have to be these strippers saying "Eight.. eight... eight.. eight..." 20 times during the show, and review the 25 a handful of times.

Just seems like such a waste of time.

I dunno, that chick in the can-can outfit is cute, IMO

Also, am I the only one who thinks Dean Smith is overrated? He was a long-time notable choker who only won two championships thanks to even worse chokes by the other team (Fred Brown's errant pass and Chris Webber's no-time-outs-left time-out call)

Guest Salacious Crumb

Don Shula being on the list is questionable too. He won his Superbowls before ESPN's time and his teams would've been consistently 3-13 without Marino.

And fuck Phil Jackson!

I understand that somehow he should have made the list based on his wins and titles...but should have been in the 20s if anywhere.

Phil Jackson is the most overrated coach of all time. His game plans:

Phil: "Okay, Michael, you score. Everyone else, move around a lot and look busy."

Phil: "Feed the ball to Shaq, every play, just give it to him."

Wow so impressive.

Guest 1916

Is Glen Sather anywhere on the list? I know he's not much these days but he did coach and mangae the Edmonton Oiler dynasty in the 80's. If Bowman is #2, Sather should at least be in the top 25.

Bobby Cox isn't in the top 500 of the last 25 years. He'd be overrated, but that would mean that anyone not a Braves fan would have to actually rate him somewhere. Seriously his ability to turn a powerhouse into a nearly could have is absolutely astounding.

...you're kidding, right?

Just take a look at some of the "powerhouse" teams that the Braves put on the field during their streak of pennants: Sid Bream? Mark Lemke? Rafael Belliard? Keith Lockhart? Juan Berenguer? Mike Bielecki?

Actually, better yet, why don't we take some actual numbers into this? Let's compare the Braves' actual win-loss record versus their pythagorean win-loss record on a year-by-year basis:

1991: +2

1992: +4

1993: 0

1994: +1

1995: +6

1996: +2

1997: -2

1998: 0

1999: +5

2000: +5

2001: +2

2002: +5

2003: +5

Now, the Pythagorean win-loss record is typically used to indicate how "lucky" a team is during a given year, but the fact that the Braves have had such a consistent boost throughout such a long run of success (only one negative year) is not a matter of luck.

Such a boost points to the fact that this "dynasty" has perenially overachieved and Bobby Cox is a huge part of that.

To be fair, there were other Bulls besides MJ.

With ya 100% on Shaq though

Let's go ahead and look at some of the "other" Bulls:

91-92

B.J. Armstrong

Stacey King

Will Perdue

Craig Hodges

Cliff Levingston

Scott Williams

Bobby Hansen

Mark Randal

92-93

Scott Williams

Stacey King

B.J. Armstrong

Will Perdue

Rodney McCray

Cory Williams

Darrell Walker

JoJo English

95-96

Bill Wennington

Luc Longley

Jud Buechler

Dickey Simpkins

Ron Harper

Jack Haley

96-97

Jason Caffey

Luc Longely

Randy Brown

Bison Dele

Scottie Pippin is the single most overrated athlete ever to lace up a pair of sneakers. For that guy to be in the top 50 (any top 50) basketball players of all time is a joke, plain and simple. Horace Grant was an average to above average role player who played his role well.

The bottom line is that Michael Jordon took that collection of losers (and then some, I didn't list everyone) to more rings than John Stockton and Karl Malone combined to win. MJ was just that good. Simply the greatest to ever play the game, anyone who argues against that is either blind or a fool or both.

I totally agree with you. The only reason MJ was able to beat off Stock and Malone was because he was surrounded by better losers than they were. They got the worst of the worst.

Guest Anglesault
Were Joe Torre and Larry Brown on the list?

Torre was 13. I think Brown was a high number.

I'm a Phillies fan, and I consider Bobby Cox the best manager of the last twenty-five years. Nine consecutive division titles, and twelve out of thirteen. He's 60-52 in postseason games with the Braves, and 12-11 in postseason series. Plus, he led the Toronto Blue Jays to their first division titles, and came within one game of the World Series. He's 9th ALL TIME in wins. He'll likely retire in the top 7. To leave him off this list is a travesty.

Scottie Pippin is the single most overrated athlete ever to lace up a pair of sneakers.

Sorry for going off-topic.

But can you state your reasons for this comment?

Guest Anglesault
. He'll likely retire in the top 7. To leave him off this list is a travesty.

I also rate Cox highly. Those Brave teams were far from "powerhouses"

But really, these are the people who left the 03 Tigers off the worst teams ever list. You had to expect someone worthy would be left off to fit in an ESPNBJ reciepient or two.