TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

Artists who've fallen off

Guest Redhawk

Naughty by Nature hit their peak with "Uptown Anthem," a song which was on their self-titled album and the Juice soundtrack. They've had some very popular songs since then ("Feel Me Flow," "Hip-Hop Hooray," "Jamboree") but for the most part they've fallen off big-time.

Snoop Dogg, unfortunately, hit his peak on his first album. Nothing he's done since then has been better.

Guest Tomato Can

As far as I'm concerned, NBN's best song was Everything's Gonna Be Alright (aka Ghetto Bastard).  That song is one of my favorites ever.

Guest bdolo

Jay-Z has fallen off.

He has'nt fallen off due to bad record sales becasue he sells more records then he did before.

But as far as lyrically and production on his albums, he has really gone downhill.

I am not saying Jay-Z sucks and everything he does is bad, but back in the day, on his first two albums he was way better.

I know many people are going to think what the fuck are you talking about?  Jay-z is nice on the mic.

Most of those people have'nt heard his music earlier on his career, if you think he is good now, he was so much better around 94-97

Guest Tomato Can

Yea, Hard Knock Life was a BIG step down for him.  I haven't heard much off the Blueprint, but I've heard it's a step in the right direction.

Guest ant_7000

I would say snoop most definitly fell way way off after Doggystyle he just garbage now. Ja rule first came out i wuz feelin him but now he gone "pop". NBN is on here 2 man their stuff wuz hot back in the day, and kaygee aint in the group no more and when I heard their new single I wuz like its official they fell off. Jay-z havent really fell off he had some hit and miss albums blueprint is a hot album it definitly deserve 5 mics.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

ICP's climax was The Great Milenko. Downhill ever since, even if more people know about them now than before. I still like their new stuff, still a juggalo, but Milenko is just so great, nothing after could come close.

Metallica's best was undoubtedly either ...And Justice For All or Master Of Puppets, depending on which true metalhead you're asking. After that, downhill...as with ICP, still a huge fan, but those 2 albums are landmark albums.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Metallica hasn't been the same since master of puppets.

Guest goodhelmet

I initially thought Pearl Jam peaked with VS. but then they released Yield and ruined that theory.

I would have to say the rolling Stones peaked back in 1969 with Beggars Banquet. They've had flashes of glory here and there, but nothing has come close to Beggars Banquet.

Guest El Satanico

I agree about the Rolling Stones. I love the stuff they made within their first 5-10 years, but since then they haven't been nearly as good.

Guest razazteca

Snoop dog was at his best when he worked with Dr Dre on the Chronic, Doggy Style, Chronic 2001.  Bitch Please with Xzybit and Nate Dog was his last good song.

Rob Zombie hit it big with Astro Creep, with the band White Zombie then fell off with all of the crazy remix and solo albums.

Guest Anorak

REM made perhaps their best album with 'Automatic for the People' in 92, everything since then has only had flashes of similar quality.

"ICP's climax was The Great Milenko. Downhill ever since, even if more people know about them now than before. I still like their new stuff, still a juggalo, but Milenko is just so great, nothing after could come close."

ICP completely sold out with Great Milenko, they fell off right after Ringmaster. The first two albums were from the streets, they were angry and real. After that ICP wasnt much more than a novelty act. Its also worth noting that Twiztid is, and always has been, way better than ICP, but I doubt theyll ever escape ICPs shadow.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Oh, I definitely agree that Twiztid is better than ICP, but I enjoy ICP's novelty. Great Milenko has their finest collection of songs, IMO, and was when they went full-blown Horror-fucking-core.

Guest ant_7000

ICP=Garbage

they weren't good at all "chickenhunting" what da fuck is that shit lol

Guest CoreyLazarus416

It's about rednecks that can't spell...see above for details.

Guest Mark4steamboat

Green Day was huge from 93-96 then they kind of fell into disappearance and re-emerged with Warning and no one paid attention. its a shame too. im a huge green day fan.

Guest Choken One

Dookie was about it. Nimrod was nothing special and either was Warning. Green Day has fallen off the charts but they still have a cult following...hopefully Blink 182 will fall in line with them.

Guest redbaron51

With Metallica, I think its And Justice For All. Once they switched producers (Flemming Rammustin*sp?* was excellent with Metallica) to Bob ©rock, it went downhill.

Guest Choken One

Not really...I think it the arrivial of Jason Newsted. He was a credible Bass player but he could never make Metallica sound the same.

Guest evenflowDDT

Green Day has been my favorite band for as long as I can remember, so commenting on Green Day, I'd say they hit their peak as an album with Dookie; although they did have huge success with "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)", it never hit #1 on the charts (the last GD song to do that was the dreaful "Brainstew", off Insomniac).  Though they're not as popular now as they were in 1994 (which is kinda a good thing, because even though I still like the "classic" Green Day songs on Dookie I like their newer, more musically mature ["VH1-ized", as some would probably put it] material), I'd hardly call them a cult band as they still have a huge fanbase (after all, nobody I know is buying Pop Disaster Tour tickets to see Blink 182, whose time is definitely up).

And as for Metallica, the only album of theirs I can truly say I like is Master of Puppets.  Make of that what you will.

Snoop dog was at his best when he worked with Dr Dre on the Chronic, Doggy Style, Chronic 2001.  Bitch Please with Xzybit and Nate Dog was his last good song.

Rob Zombie hit it big with Astro Creep, with the band White Zombie then fell off with all of the crazy remix and solo albums.

I dont think Rob has ever been good as a solo artist. I never liked White Zombie much, but they were better than the solo junk. Are any of the White Zombie or Rob Zombie songs supposed to make much sense?

Oh, I definitely agree that Twiztid is better than ICP, but I enjoy ICP's novelty. Great Milenko has their finest collection of songs, IMO, and was when they went full-blown Horror-fucking-core.

If ICP ever had a peak I doubt it was very tall one. They are complete shock value trash. Its stupid to try to shock people when your doing it for the sake of just doing it.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Newsted wasn't as bad on bass as most people make him out to be. His live solo's were good, true, and he could play every bass part to perfection. He was also always more alive onstage and off than Cliff Burton ever was. BUT...he wasn't AS skilled as Cliff Burton. Lars and James didn't want the bass-lines to stand-out like they used to, so they chose a bassist that wasn't as skilled, and used production tactics to make sure the guitars and drums were louder than the bass-lines.

Guest evenflowDDT

If ICP ever had a peak I doubt it was very tall one. They are complete shock value trash. Its stupid to try to shock people when your doing it for the sake of just doing it.

I agree fully.  ICP has a lot of "rabid juggaloz" or whatever they call them, but I've just never seen any merit or humor to their music at all.  This is the same reason I disliked Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP, where he used extremely homophobic and misogynistic lyrics just to drum up controversy to sell his album because he was too lazy to use his lyrical talents in a constructive song.

Ironically, even though I hate it when musicians try and shock people just for the sake of doing it some of the most fun films to watch are old exploitation films where they did the same thing.  I suppose its a difference in medium...

Guest Redhawk

ICP hit their peak on the "Ken Kaniff" skit on Eminem's second album.

But seriously, Jay-Z's best overall album was probably Reasonable Doubt, but that wasn't his peak as far as lyrics go. He's had some outstanding songs on every album, and The Blueprint could arguablyt be called his best album so far. So if anything, Jay-Z is in his peak right now, at least until we hear what his next album sounds like.

Snoop and Dre were like Montana to Rice. Even when they hooked back up after all these years, that old magic is gone forever.

Guest razazteca
Are any of the White Zombie or Rob Zombie songs supposed to make much sense?

I believe that the White Zombie/Rob Zombie and Powerman 5000 were bands that made music about old horror movies, and if you could understand Rob's lyrics it did'nt matter because the lyrics have no substantial meaning.

Guest El Satanico
Are any of the White Zombie or Rob Zombie songs supposed to make much sense?

No White/Rob Zombie's songs were never meant to have meanings. He's a huge fan of horror movies and b movies. All of his songs are based upon movies and anything monster related. Even the band's name was the title of a old horror movie.  So if you're trying to find meaning in his music stop it.

I personally like the White Zombie stuff and his solo stuff. I also enjoy his dance music remixes. But i enjoy his "gimmick" so eh i find stuff to like about everything he does. I also like the Misfits too because they always used the same we enjoy movies and like to make songs out of them "gimmick".

Guest goodhelmet

REM- Monster was ok but after Automatic For the People they have gone way down hill. Even the mags are calling them irrelevant. Ouch!

Guest converge241

I used to like White & Rob Zombie but i think he peaked with the last album. I hated Sinister Urge. Still puts on a great live show though.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Funny...NP: White Zombie - "Electric Head Part 1 - The Agony"

Rob has said himself he doesn't want anybody to be able to interpret ANYTHING in his songs, so he makes them as dumb and incomprehensive as possible. He usually talks about 10 different horror/b-movies per song, so that might help...

Guest Shaved Bear

since Seasons in the Abyss came out, Slayer seemed to lose their way, but they show promise of reemerging with God Hates Us All