TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

Larry Walker now a Cardinal

The Cardinals finally made a move today, acquiring Larry Walker from the Rockies. Not sure who they got for him, but they were just discussing it during the Mets / Cards game. So he's on his way to St. Louis as I type this. Thoughts on the trade?

I don't think it's really necessary, as I can see their pitching being what does them in if anything does. He'll make a nice replacement for Reggie Sanders, but he's been injury prone in recent years, so it could be a risky move. It's obviously a temporary one, though.

Guest Ahhee

Rockies get prospect Jason Burch and 2 to be named. Colorado is also paying 7.5m of Walker's 05 salary.

The Cardinals finally made a move today, acquiring Larry Walker from the Rockies. Not sure who they got for him, but they were just discussing it during the Mets / Cards game. So he's on his way to St. Louis as I type this. Thoughts on the trade?

I don't think it's really necessary, as I can see their pitching being what does them in if anything does. He'll make a nice replacement for Reggie Sanders, but he's been injury prone in recent years, so it could be a risky move. It's obviously a temporary one, though.

Sanders likely moves to LF. A good move for St.Louis. The OF outside Jim Edmonds wasn't strong. Walker won't be the same hitter for the Cardnials but he's doesn't have to be.

The lineup ifself will very depending on whether a LH or RH is pitching

2B-Womack

SS-Renteria

1B-Pujos

CF-Edmonds

3B-Rolen

RF-Walker

LF-Sanders

C-Matheny

That's just nuts. So Colorado's paying all Walker's 04 and part of his 05 salary? That trade doesn't make any sense. At least to me.

Rotoworld has the official numbers:

As part of the trade with the Cardinals, the Rockies will pay $7.5 million of what Larry Walker is owed next season.

The Cardinals reportedly will be responsible for the approx. $4 million he's still owed this year, $5.5 million of his 2005 salary and a $1 million buyout in 2006. $10.5 million for a year and a third of Walker isn't completely unreasonable, especially since the Cardinals have such a good chance of winning this year.

This is absolutely hilarious, if you ask me. I figured the Cardinals would swing for a lesser LF like Frank Catalanotto or somebody, but Walker absolutely exceeds my expectations. He'll move in at RF, Sanders fills in the revolving door at LF, and "Roger Cedeno" (I don't know how the Witness Protection Agency swings it, but it sure ain't foolin' me) gets placed in a drawer and forgotten about. The upgrade is instantaneous and, besides being a respected veteran player who's hungry for a ring, he's also a left-handed veteran hitter with pop, which makes the Cardinals' lineup even more maddening to pitch around:

L - 2B - Womack

R - SS - Renteria

R - 1B - Pujols

L - CF - Edmonds

R - 3B - Rolen

L - RF - Walker

R - LF - Sanders

R - C - Matheny

This (hopefully) leaves Ray Lankford (L), Marlon Anderson (L), John Mabry (L), So Taguchi ® and Yadier Molina ® as a well-rounded bench going into the playoffs. And, looking off into the future, this still gives them enough payroll flexibility to retain some of their more important free agents.

Jason Burch, the minor league prospect that they traded to Colorado, is a 21st rounder out of the 2003 draft. He's a 21-year old right handed reliever out of the University of Nebraska who's being brought through the minors as a potential closer; he had 10 saves for Johnson City in the Rookie league with a 1.53 ERA and 12.74 K/9. The remainder of his 2003 season in Single A wasn't that spectacular (4.85 ERA), but he's still only 21 and has more than a couple of years to potentially blossom into one of those late-round headache picks that teams regret trading six years later...but that's not right now.

The Rockies, surprisingly, get addition by subtraction as well, as 24-year-old Matt Holliday (he of the 10 HRs and .357 OBP in part-time duty) gets to play full-time. Plus, don't forget about those two nebulous Players To Be Named Later.

It's a bold PR move by Colorado, by trading away the only Hall of Fame-caliber player that the franchise has ever had (though Helton's knocking on the door) and, on top of that, paying another team to keep him...but it's a great show of loyalty to Larry Walker, who gets a shot at a ring and the playoffs for the first time since his first year with the Rockies.

As for the Cardinals, this isn't quite on par with the Rolen trade, but it comes pretty damn close...as they reinforce the lineup and send a huge signal to the players that the front office is committed to put the best team possible on the field.

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

If any team can beat the Yankees this October it is the Cardinals. I wish they would pick up another starting pitcher though, Morris has been shakey this year.

Guest Anglesault

L - 2B - Womack

R - SS - Renteria

R - 1B - Pujols

L - CF - Edmonds

R - 3B - Rolen

L - RF - Walker

R - LF - Sanders

R - C - Matheny

vs.

S-CF-Williams

R-SS-Jeter

R-RF-Sheffield

R-3B-Rodriguez

L-1B-Giambi

S-C-Posada

L-LF-Matsui

Whoever.

The Yankees AL lineup looks better, with Lofton in Center leading off.

Could be a really fun World Series.

The Yankees (NL) bench would probably have Sierra, Lofton, Clark and Olerud. Not bad. Yes, I do think they'd keep the three first baseman for the playoffs. The position player we'd drop from the roster now is Crosby, the sixth outfielder.

Good acquistion, but still, I don't trust the St. Louis rotation against the Chicago rotation in October. Which, being a Cubs fan, is a good thing.

Maybe, but right now you're rotation is only better on paper, they have to get healthy.

It's funny today I was thinking about St. Louis's post-season rotation, I really think they're No.1 guy at the beginning of the year will be the Game 3 starter.

Game 1 - Woody Williams

Game 2 - Cris Carpenter

Game 3 - Matt Morris

Game 4 - Jason Marquis

Suppan doing long relief, and I know Carpenter has had a better season, but I just see Williams being the Game 1 starter.

And also in everybody's lineup's Edmonds is at the 4 spot, I think LaRussa leaves Rolen at #4.

Woody Williams is a gamer though, he usually plays great towards the end of the season.

Now if Matt Morris plays the Cubs, the only way the Cards win is about 15-11.

I refuse to believe that Woody Williams, Matt Morris, and Cris Carpenter will outplay Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood, and Mark Prior. It just doesn't make sense. It can't happen, it won't happen.

They won't, but the Cards offense is leaps and bounds better than the Cubs. Everyone says pitching wins championships, but I still maintain that's a load of crap, and I hope the Cards shove it down their throats.

And it is worth mentioning that the Cardinals have a better bullpen.

Guest Anglesault
I refuse to believe that Woody Williams, Matt Morris, and Cris Carpenter will outplay Greg Maddux, Kerry Wood, and Mark Prior. It just doesn't make sense. It can't happen, it won't happen.

They won't, but the Cards offense is leaps and bounds better than the Cubs. Everyone says pitching wins championships, but I still maintain that's a load of crap, and I hope the Cards shove it down their throats.

And it is worth mentioning that the Cardinals have a better bullpen.

Would it be fair to compare them to the Yankees in that sense?

Guest Anglesault
In what sense? I don't quite understand.

Offense and bullpen outshine starting pitching?

Who should the fourth starter be for Chicago? Wood, Prior, and Maddux are there for sure. That means #4 is...

Carlos Zambrano: Great, until he gets too worked up and falls apart.

Matt Clement: Great, but damned if we give him runs.

Glendon Rusch: He's in the bullpen now, but he can start and he's a lefty.

I dunno...I'm almost leaning towards Z as #4 and Rusch in long relief for when Carlos gets nutty.

I really hope Marquis gets the #3 spot rather than Morris, but of course no matter how bad he pitches LaRussa is always all over Morris' jock so it doesn't matter.

Although Morris steps it up huge in the playoffs whenever the Cardinals get there, so maybe it will work out.

As far as the Cubs rotation being better, I don't see how it's so much better. Everyone is having a solid season, like said Morris is shaky but he still has 11 wins. Woody wasn't getting it done at the beginning of the season but his past few starts have been amazing. Of course Carpenter is the forgotten Cardinal that should've made the NL All-Stars and Suppan is quietly having a great season.

Prior and Wood have been on the shelf basically the whole year so how can you judge? Zambrano could be a great pitcher if he lost the temper. If I were Dusty Baker I'd rely on Greg Maddux more than anyone else because he's been there and has won more big games than the rest of the staff has years pitching combined. And honestly as far as consistency goes I would rather have Clement out there than Prior or Zambrano.

I think Clement is a better No. 4 than Zambrano. I think the fact that Zambrano gets so fired up may help him in the playoffs, that way he probably wouldn't have to pitch more than 2 innings per game.

And even though I really don't hold his attitude in high esteem after the Cards incident, he is a hell of a pitcher at times.