TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

10 worst interviews of all time

Guest Redhawk

They actually called this the "Most Embarrassing" interviews, which begs the question, who is being embarrassed in some of these cases? Anyway....

10. Vince McMahon trying to punk Bob Costas = This is when Vince acted just like people thought a wrestling promoter would, using his steroid-enhanced frame to try and bully Costas, our favorite Micro-Mini Reporter. After Costas asked if XFL games were fixed:

McMahon: Would I fix ... What a ridiculous statement.

Costas: It's not a statement, it's a question.

McMahon: It's a question. I beg your pardon, it's a question. No, it's either football or it's not. Now if it's entertainment, then it's no different than what I did a long time ago, you know, when my predecessors tried to pawn off that wrestling was sport years ago. You know, I mean, that's absurd.

9. Michigan football coach Lloyd "How dare you question my coaching?" Carr.

Even though the Wolverines had two timeouts remaining...Carr decided to run out the clock. As they headed into the tunnel, ABC's Todd Harris asked Carr why he didn't try to do more with that last possession. The Wolverines coach gave the sideline reporter an icy stare before saying, "Why would you ask a dumb question like that?" and walking away.

8. UConn coach Jim Calhoun going off about Ryan Gomes.

Reporter: Jim, recruiting is hardly an exact science. What does Gomes do now that blows you away?

Calhoun: That's the dumbest [expletive] question I've ever heard. I've explained it a thousand times. I BLEEPed up. I didn't take Ryan Gomes. Does that make you happy? It took Wayne Simone [Gomes' AAU coach] 18 months to convince [Friars coach] Tim Welsh to take the kid. I don't know what else you want me to say. I BLEEPed up. Write it. I BLEEPed up, for the fifth time ... It has been written about. It has been talked about; don't shake your [expletive] head, you asked a question. I'm telling you how I feel about it. I took Emeka Okafor and Caron Butler. They're not bad. I can't get everyone.

7. Jim F'N Mora: "Playoffs? Playoffs?" Jim is the man.

"Let me start out saying this: Do NOT blame that game on the defense, OK? I don't care who you play, whether it's a high school team, a junior college team, a college team, much less an NFL team, when you turn the ball over five times . . . you ain't gonna beat anybody. That was a disgraceful performance. ... We gave it away. We gave them the frigging game. In my opinion, that sucked.

You can't turn it over five times. Holy crap. I don't know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that ... We've thrown [five] interceptions returned for touchdowns. That might be a league record. And we've still got six games left, so there's no telling how many we'll have. I mean, it's absolutely pitiful to play like that . . . Horrible. Just horrible. Horrible.

Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game."

6. Roy Williams not giving a shit.

Bonnie Bernstein: If they offer you the job, though, would you be willing to take it?"

Roy Williams: The guy in your ear that told you that you had to ask that question ... as a journalist, that's fine ... but as a human being, that's not very nice ... and I've got to think that in tough times that people should be more sensitive. I don't give a shit about Carolina right now. I've got 13 kids in that locker room that I love.

5. Pete Rose's All-Star interview (What do you mean Jim Gray's a tool? Get out!)

Actually, what pissed me off is how SI used the space to defend Gray:

"This ended up becoming an indictment on the American media as much as anything, because Gray was ridiculed by the public and press alike for having the gall to try bring journalistic credibility to a prefabricated, shiny, happy, people event.

Yes, the people who put out the swimsuit issue -- the prefabricated, shiny, happy swimsuit issue -- are my example of journalistic integrity.

4. Phillies manager Lee Elia.

"F--- those BLEEP'n fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you rippin' every BLEEP'n thing you do. I'll tell you one BLEEP'n thing, I hope we get BLEEP'n hotter than BLEEP, just to stuff it up them 3,000 BLEEP'n people that show up every BLEEP'n day, because if they're the real Chicago BLEEP'n fans, they can kiss my BLEEP'n BEEP right downtown and PRINT IT. ... All right, they don't show because we're 5-14... and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb 15 BLEEP'n percent that come out to day baseball. The other 85 percent are earning a living."

3. Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda.

The scene; Dave Kingman has just hit 3 home runs against L.A.

Reporter: What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?

Lasorda: What's my opinion of Kingman's performance!? What the BLEEP do you think is my opinion of it? I think it was BLEEPING BLEEP. Put that in, I don't give a BLEEP. Opinion of his performance!!? BLEEP, he beat us with three BLEEPING home runs! What the BLEEP do you mean, "What is my opinion of his performance?" How could you ask me a question like that, "What is my opinion of his performance?" BLEEP, he hit three home runs! BLEEP. I'm BLEEPING pissed off to lose that BLEEPING game. And you ask me my opinion of his performance! BLEEP. That's a tough question to ask me, isn't it? "What is my opinion of his performance?"

Reporter: Yes, it is. I asked it, and you gave me an answer...

Lasorda: Well, I didn't give you a good answer because I'm mad, but I mean ...

Reporter: Well, it wasn't a good question ...

Lasorda: That's a tough question to ask me right now, "What is my opinion of his performance?" I mean, you want me to tell you what my opinion of his performance is ...

Reporter: You just did ...

Lasorda: That's right. BLEEP. Guy hits three home runs against us. BLEEP.

2. Jim Everett going all WWE on Jim Rome.

JR: You may have even been Jim Everett back there [in 1989] but somewhere along the way Jim, you ceased being Jim and you became Chris.

JE: Well, let me tell you a little secret ... that, you know, we're sitting here right now, and if you guys want to take a station break, you can. But if you call me Chris Everett to my face one more time ...

JR: I already did it twice

JE: You'd better ... if you call it one more time, we'd better take a station break.

JR: Well, its a five-minute segment, on a five-segment show. We've got a long way to go

JE: We do.

JR: We've got a long way to go. I'll get a couple of segments out of you.

JE: It's good to be here with you though ... because you've been talking like this behind my back for a long time now.

JR: But now I've said it right here, so we've got no problems then.

JE: I think that you probably won't say it again.

JR: I'll bet I do

JE: OK

[short pause]

JR: Chris.

[Everett tosses aside coffee table, pounces on Rome]

Whaddya mean WORST? This was one of the BEST interviews ever for me, just because I HATE Jim Rome.

1. Joe Namath, Ladies Man.

"I wanna kiss you. I couldn't care less about the team struggling. What we know is we can improve. Chad Pennington, our quarterback, missed the first part of the season, and we struggled. We're looking to next season, we're looking to make a noise now and ... I wanna kiss you!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scor...iews/index.html

Guest Staravenger

That Lasorda interview shouldn't be on the 10 Worst, it should be in the 10 best. I just cracked up reading it a few times, and usually I'm not entertained with sports figures interviews.

Guest Ahhee
That Lasorda interview shouldn't be on the 10 Worst, it should be in the 10 best. I just cracked up reading it a few times, and usually I'm not entertained with sports figures interviews.

Agreed. That one and Jim Mora's rant are both great.

Jim Mora going off

That Jim Mora interview was possibly my favorite ever. The best part of the Lasorda one was after he kind of flips out about the question he seems to be kind of apologizing then he just goes right back to it at the end.

And now here are your Notable Omissions, brought to you by Pepsi. Pepsi: It's The Cola.

"Practice? We're talkin' practice. Come on! Practice! We're talkin' about practice here!" -Allen Iverson, on a subject we're not sure about

"I'm a fuckin' soldier." -Kellen Winslow Jr. on his place in football