TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

The most overrated albums in your collection

I found out today why Static Age was buried at the bottom of my collection. There's a handful of classics there, sure, but it's ridiculously long for what it is, and I'm sorry to say I prefer Famous Monsters, (though that needs some time shaving off it too) as they are a better comedy band than punk band. What the FUCK is so awesome about 'We are 138'?

Go on then, someone shit all over Kimono My House, it's only fair...

My call: The Queen is Dead. This is a really really really good album, but as far as the Smiths go, I like the self-titled and Strangeways, Here We Come worlds more.

My call: The Queen is Dead. This is a really really really good album, but as far as the Smiths go, I like the self-titled and Strangeways, Here We Come worlds more.

Agh...no, I went through a MASSIVE Meat Is Murder phase for a while, but no, no.

"Extended," not "overly long."

The songwriting is strong enough on that album to justify many of the songs' epic running times. And if the prospect of lengthy jams still troubles you, I ask that you consider 1999 to be Kraftwerk Gone Funky. And if that doesn't appeal to you, I don't know what else to say.

But enough of derailing this thread.

Indeed.

I feel the same way about Highway 61 Revisted by Bob Dylan as you do about Sign O' The Times. It has a bit of filler that isn't present on Dylan albums like Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks.

1999 is pretty brilliant and probably his most unique album (as compared to the work of other artists), but I'd say far from his best. In fact, it's the one I'd call overrated. I find "Free" to be an unfortunately plain dead spot after the super-funky middle. Kills a lot of the momentum. Also, each of the long jams is about 1 minute too long.

Nit-picky for sure, but it's my #4 Prince album. I'll still take it above 90% of other music.

Steering back on track: Led Zeppelin IV. I don't think the people on this board overrate it, though.

Steering back on track: Led Zeppelin IV. I don't think the people on this board overrate it, though.

"Battle of Evermore" and "When the Levee Breaks" make it worth it, though. But I really shouldn't be talking. Pink Floyd has replaced Led Zeppelin for me in a big way recently, and I hardly even enjoy the band anymore. It's probably just a phase, but still, they were my third favorite band ever behind the immortal Pixies/VU combo, so this has come as quite a shock.

Anyway, for me, I would say...

AC/DC -- Back In Black

-- For having such an intense reputation, this is quite... just "OK." Bon Scott was the better singer, but just in general, I prefer Black Sabbath A LOT in comparison to these guys. Still cherish my copy of High Voltage though.

The Flaming Lips -- The Soft Bulletin

-- *hides from pummeling* I'm sorry. It's a good album... but maybe I just haven't quite soaked it in. For some reason, I simply enjoy Yoshimi's stuff infinitely more.

Beck -- Odelay!

-- Same as above. I like the album a whole lot... I just prefer his debut to this, for some odd reason.

The Sex Pistols -- Nevermind the Bollocks

-- What a load of average. The Clash simply blew these guys away.

That's all I've got for now. I mainly only buy the essentials, usually. Maybe I'll have a few more for later, though.

Oh, one more.

Weezer -- Weezer (The Blue Album)

-- This album is just so, so, SO lyrically weak, and just OK musically. I used to be a pretty intense Weezer fan, but now all I can stand is Pinkerton.

Guest GreatOne

I'm going out on a limb and saying The World Needs a Hero (sorry Slapnuts), return to Rust in Peace my ass--if only for Return to Hangar maybe, nothing else.

And why didn't Mustaine just go ahead and do Am I Evil anyway since that's basically what the last song on the album (????) is? I heard he's been pissed (or was once) at Sean Harris ever since he turned him down back in 84/85 but hell Kerry King turned him down too (who the fuck's gonna leave Slayer to join Megadeth anyway?) and Mustaine didn't make Five Magics into a Black Magic ripoff or anything.

Guest Wildbomb 4:20
Oh, one more.

-- This album is just so, so, SO lyrically weak, and just OK musically. I used to be a pretty intense Weezer fan, but now all I can stand is Pinkerton.

Hereby seconded.

I'm going out on a limb and saying The World Needs a Hero (sorry Slapnuts), return to Rust in Peace my ass--if only for Return to Hangar maybe, nothing else.

And why didn't Mustaine just go ahead and do Am I Evil anyway since that's basically what the last song on the album (????) is? I heard he's been pissed (or was once) at Sean Harris ever since he turned him down back in 84/85 but hell Kerry King turned him down too (who the fuck's gonna leave Slayer to join Megadeth anyway?) and Mustaine didn't make Five Magics into a Black Magic ripoff or anything.

I couldn't disagree any more. TWNAH is a solid album through and through. Sure it doesn't have the Rust In Peace sound (lets face it, Jimmy Degrasso and Al Pitrelli aren't Nick Menza and Marty Friedman). The album gets overlooked in every possible way.

In my collection I'm going to say Metallica:...And Justice For All. How can people like this album, yet with two great songs (...And Justice For All and To Live Or To Die) yet the rest of the album is the exact same formula as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

How can people like this album, yet with two great songs (...And Justice For All and To Live Or To Die) yet the rest of the album is the exact same formula as Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

I think you answered your own question.

"Why would people like a Metallica album that follows the same formula as their best albums?"

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Or, "Why would anyone like those other two Metallica albums if they don't like And Justice?"

..or why would you like any of them? That was rhetorical, don't bother answering.

Oh, one more.

I flip that. When I first got Pinkerton, it was the bees-knees. Loved it for a long time, and still like it. As far as pure pop pleasure and overall enjoyment, the debut holds up much better. I don't think it's terribly weak on lyrics, either. As far as witty, snappy cheese goes, it's right on-point.

I would agree, and I like IV and Led Zeppelin. I couldn't put it higher than their 4th best album, and I'd actually probably have it lower. II is the most overrated Led Zeppelin album though. Now, all that being said, none of these albums are bad, it's just that they are not Zeppelin's best work (in my opinion).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I maintain the first Zeppelin is best, as is the first Sabbath.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh shit, is your old man a weird ex-hippy classic rock/prog dork, too?