TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PLAGIARISM!

The most overrated albums in your collection

Or, "Why would anyone like those other two Metallica albums if they don't like And Justice?"

..or why would you like any of them? That was rhetorical, don't bother answering.

Okay, we get it, you hate Metallica, you've only been telling us for eight million years :D

For any Power Metal fans, I'll say Iron Maiden: Powerslave. Aces High, and 2 Minutes To Midnight, right at the beginning of the album. Wow, its amazing, its going to be a great album...Eh...What kind of crap did they throw in for the rest of the album, exccept for Rime of the Anceint Mariner. It just seemed they put those songs in filler, and filler they got.

Guest Anticrombie

What exactly do you dislike about Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets? I can understand why some might not like ...And Justice For All, but I find it odd that you consider RTL and MOP (especially MOP) to be terrible albums.

I recently bought The Velvet Underground's self titled album and White Light/White Heat. I loved WL/WH from start to finish, in particular "The Gift", but I can't get into the self titled album. Both albums were at Best Buy for $10 each, so I'm not too pissed that the self titled album didn't live up to my expectations. So, tell me, is it one of those albums that grows on you after a couple of listens, or is it an album that only pop fans can enjoy?

My second vote goes to Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden. I own the first seven albums, and I've listened to six of them (excluding Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, which I haven't got around to yet). Somewhere In Time tends to get low marks out of the "golden seven" of the Iron Maiden catalouge, though I've only listened to it a couple of times, I think it's a stronger album then Piece Of Mind. POM has some excellent songs on their like "Where Eagles Dare", "Revelations", "Still Life" and "To Tame A Land". "The Trooper" is okay "Flight Of The Icarus", however, sounds generic. Quest For Fire" and "Sun And Steel" are decent tracks at best, while "Die With Your Boots On" tends to get annoying due to Bruce attempting to stick in the word die as many times as possible.

My favorite Led Zeppelin album is actually Presence. I think all of Zep's albums are worth owning, but I don't feel any Zeppelin album can overcome the triumvirate of "Achilles Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", and "Tea For One". "For Your Life" is a pretty good song as well.

Funny thing is, my favorite Iron Maiden album as of late is Killers, which reminds me a lot of "Achilles Last Stand".

I strongly disagree about Powerslave, Losfer Words acts as a nice transition piece from 2 Min. to Flash Of The Blade. The only song that I'm iffy on right now is Back In The Village, but the title song is my favorite track on the album.

The Flaming Lips -- The Soft Bulletin

-- *hides from pummeling* I'm sorry. It's a good album... but maybe I just haven't quite soaked it in. For some reason, I simply enjoy Yoshimi's stuff infinitely more.

Songs like Feeling Yourself Disintergrate and Waitin For A Superman are fantastic and the whole sound/atmosphere created is perfect but unfortunately too many songs are as hit and miss as Wayne Coyne's voice.

Oh shit, is your old man a weird ex-hippy classic rock/prog dork, too?

Semi. He's fine and upstanding now, but when I was 10 he'd always tell me about how he and his college buddies would lay out on the porch and let Zappa, Pink Floyd, Sgt. Peppers, and Sabbath play until morning. It wasn't until many years later that I made the now-obvious connection that he must have been a huge stoner.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
My second vote goes to Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden. I own the first seven albums, and I've listened to six of them (excluding Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, which I haven't got around to yet). Somewhere In Time tends to get low marks out of the "golden seven" of the Iron Maiden catalouge, though I've only listened to it a couple of times, I think it's a stronger album then Piece Of Mind. POM has some excellent songs on their like "Where Eagles Dare", "Revelations", "Still Life" and "To Tame A Land". "The Trooper" is okay "Flight Of The Icarus", however, sounds generic. Quest For Fire" and "Sun And Steel" are decent tracks at best, while "Die With Your Boots On" tends to get annoying due to Bruce attempting to stick in the word die as many times as possible.

The Trooper is probably the best known song of Maiden's Golden Period. Flight of Icarus is majestic, ass-kicking Maiden at their best, and even you said four songs on the album are awesome. That's usually enough to justify "Great" status.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Oh shit, is your old man a weird ex-hippy classic rock/prog dork, too?

You have Frank Zappa in your sig.

Guest Anticrombie

I wouldn't say "The Trooper" is THE best known song of Maiden's golden period. What about "Run To The Hills", Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", "Aces High", and "Where Eagles Dare"?

I can't see how "Flight Of The Icarus" is Maiden at their best. I'm listening to it right now, and I don't get it. Most of the tracks off of POM alone smoke it.

I consider Iron Maiden, Killers, TNOTB, and Powerslave to be Maiden's best so far (I need to listen to Somewhere In Time a couple more times before I come to a conclusion on how good it is). POM has some awesome moments, but it doesn't measure up to it's peers as far as consistency is concerned, yet it's listed to be just as good, if not better, as Maiden's best releases.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I wouldn't say "The Trooper" is THE best known song of Maiden's golden period. What about "Run To The Hills", Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", "Aces High", and "Where Eagles Dare"?

I can't see how "Flight Of The Icarus" is Maiden at their best. I'm listening to it right now, and I don't get it. Most of the tracks off of POM alone smoke it.

The one of the songs you listed that's actually as well known as The Trooper is Run to the Hills. Those two both had the benefits of being singles.

There's nothing I can really say about FOI if you can't hear what's so special about it. It's definitly not your average Maiden song, it's done at a completely different tempo (kinda Sabbath-ish) and the vocals SOAR more than any other song on the album. It's the song that got me into Maiden, and one of my favorite songs from them, easily.

I'd say the weak points of the album are Sun and Steel and Quest For Fire.

on a semi-related note...at the used cd store, i could get a copy of 'dirty mind' for around $8 or 'purple rain' for $10. which would be the better option?

Oh, one more.

Weezer -- Weezer (The Blue Album)

-- This album is just so, so, SO lyrically weak, and just OK musically. I used to be a pretty intense Weezer fan, but now all I can stand is Pinkerton.

I flip that. When I first got Pinkerton, it was the bees-knees. Loved it for a long time, and still like it. As far as pure pop pleasure and overall enjoyment, the debut holds up much better. I don't think it's terribly weak on lyrics, either. As far as witty, snappy cheese goes, it's right on-point.

Bang! Bang a knock on the door another big bang and you're down on the floor

oh no! What do I do?

Don't look now but I lost my shoe I can't run and I can't kick

What's a matter babe are you feelin' sick?

What's a matter, what's a matter, what's a matter you?

What's a matter babe, are you feelin' blue? oh-oh!

WIT~!

Talking Heads- Remain In Light

Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation

Marvin Gaye- What's Going On

Explain yourself.

Now.

Note: And for the record, my favorite Zeppelin album is III. Sentimental value, since it was my first, but overall I just think that of all the albums, it flows best, and that Tangerine/That's the Way combo is unbeatable.

And for the record, my favorite Zeppelin album is III. Sentimental value, since it was my first, but overall I just think that of all the albums, it flows best, and that Tangerine/That's the Way combo is unbeatable.

Personally I think of all the albums from their awesome run of Zeppelin I to Physical Grafitti, III is the weakest.

Then again, I think IV is the best. And not just for Stairway.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
For Zeppelin, I like Physical Graffiti the best; for Sabbath, Vol. 4.

Really? That's kind of a weird pick. Especially over the first three. I think Sabbath's career curve is a 10 degree downward slope. The first one is just the perfect debut for metal. Really nebular, with lots of different sounds scattered about that one can later find more magnified as metal has progressed. Paranoid's the die cast for all huge anthemic everyone's top ten list metal albums to come. I can see an argument over Master of Reality, but the first two? Que?

on a semi-related note...at the used cd store, i could get a copy of 'dirty mind' for around $8 or 'purple rain' for $10. which would be the better option?

Dirty Mind. You'll find Purple Rain new for $11 or $12 anywhere, so it's not really much of a deal.

My favorite Led Zeppelin album is actually Presence. I think all of Zep's albums are worth owning, but I don't feel any Zeppelin album can overcome the triumvirate of "Achilles Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault But Mine", and "Tea For One". "For Your Life" is a pretty good song as well.

I don't think I've EVER heard someone proclaim Presence to be their favourite Zeppelin album. You do make a good point about the "Achilles Last Stand", "Nobody's Fault but Mine" and "Tea for One" trio. Though honestly, all you really need is "Achilles Last Stand." There isn't another song in the Zepelin catalogue that's close to it in terms of overall quality. Plus, it's the last Zeppelin track to feature Plant in all of his awesome glory. After that track, his voice took a downward spiral.

Best. Zeppelin song. EVER.