TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

"Old School" Sportscenter...

I guess I will just have to disagree with everyone I here, I loathed Olberman with a passion. I couldn't stand his catchphrases well being they were mostly just noises.....I do admit he and Dan Patrick had good chemistry as a team, but Olberman himself I had no use for.

What was the comment?...

Something like "Baseball now... hey Dan, I've been out of this for eight years or so, are they all on steroids now? Is that the thing now?"

Follow me! Follow me to freedom!!!

Bob Ley does Sportcenter pretty much every Sunday, but I really like having him do a show.

The Y2K and Evander commercials are in my top 3 all time SC commercials. He was a great anchor and I look forward to tonights show.

The best one ever is the fight in the parking lot between Jeremy Schaap and Kenny Mayne.

Guest Anglesault

Charlie seemed to have a hard time naming Yankees.

Jeter and A-Rod....Mussina....Giambi..........Brown.........................................

.........Matsui and all those guys.

Guest Anglesault
Damnit Dykstra shaved the mullet. There goes my childhood.

we all have to let go sometime.

Garagiola kinda got treated poorly by Schaap. I think chewing tobacco should be banned from baseball moreso than Pete Rose. Pete Rose may have bet on baseball but I bet he never fucked up anybody's jaw like that. GAH!

*Ray Fosse is unavailable for comment.*

What's the schedule for the rest of the Old School Week look like?

Oh, why is Chris Berman considered old school when he'll still do SportsCenter on occassion?

I think the idea is that they have one current employee on the ESPN roster working with one "Old School" anchor every night. In some cases, you get a classic pairing like Charley Steiner and Bob Ley, and in others, you get a total mismatch (see tonight's pairing of Stewey Scott and Gayle Gardner).

The Steiner/Ley episode was hilarious. I always loved Steiner's SportsCenter commercials, but I never remember him being that funny on the show itself. Not to mention the fact that Bob Ley even showed some personality. That whole show was tremendous.

Big props for showing the clip of Steiner at Wimbledon, fighting another reporter... "Don't point your finger at me, Mister!" :headbang:

Recently I was thinking about the whole Carl Lewis anthem thing. Glad they showed it on the show last night.

To me, the best Sportscenter teamings are Patrick/Olbermann and Scott/Eisen. I always found Ley/Steiner a bit dry, liked a bit of humor worked in (the bust out laughing notwithstanding).

Recently I was thinking about the whole Carl Lewis anthem thing. Glad they showed it on the show last night.

To me, the best Sportscenter teamings are Patrick/Olbermann and Scott/Eisen. I always found Ley/Steiner a bit dry, liked a bit of humor worked in (the bust out laughing notwithstanding).

Ley and Steiner were consumate professionals. (save for Steiner's occasional hilarious meltdowns but its not like it happened in every show) I've already shared my opinion of Dan and Keith, and Rich Eisen and Stuart Scott had great chemistry. Eisen may be one of the 10 best SC Anchors ever, and he seems like a very solid individual to boot.

Stuart Scott on Old School? Stuart Scott isn't old-school enough for me.

EDIT: By that I mean I wish he would become old-school.

EDIT: By getting fired.

EDIT: Fired and not working at ESPN anymore.

Stuart Scott can do a good job when he wants to. However, he is simply too full of himself to do it on a consistent basis

They need to stick with the old school Sportscenter theme. That's so much better than the music they use now.

And Steiner is a riot. Talking about Tonya Harding getting to keep the pickup truck through her divorce and just breaking down and laughing was gold.

Yeah, the late 80s/early 90s music is great. Saxophones > whatever they have now.

Did anyone notice that the music in the old NFL Primetime highlight is the same they use now?

I also liked Steiner cracking up about Kerry Wood getting arrested for public urination and how that was the first time he made a relief appearance.

I hope Kenny Mayne is the co-host for Thursday. He's grown on me. I used to not like him but now I do.

Did anyone notice that the music in the old NFL Primetime highlight is the same they use now?

NFL Primetime used to have great music. The only decent music left is the one they showed on the flashback.

Did anyone notice how much weight Chris Berman has gained?

I hope Kenny Mayne is the co-host for Thursday. He's grown on me. I used to not like him but now I do.

Kenny Mayne is brilliant. He has such a unique, dry delivery that is definitely an acquired taste but once you get it you love it.