TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Now that Hogan is back...

Guest Downhome

Please, if all you want to do is bash him, just don't respond. This is a serious post, looking for serious discussion. I really want to know what you guys think about this. Now, with that said...

...yes, Hogan is coming back, and I'll admit that I LOVE that it's happening. But still, all of us "Hogan marks" have to admit that his in-ring skill is, well, not up to date. The WWF has evolved by leaps and bounds since the last time Hogan was working, and it is even different than WCW was when Hogan worked there. His atomic drops, big boot, leg drop, suplex, etc... simply will not cut it...

...so what should the WWF do about this?

I totally feel he can be an asset. He is a huge name, and it will, if nothing else, create a lot of interest for the WWF again. But what should change about him?

I think for starters, it should be more of the Hogan that WCW saw back in his final months of WCW. You know, the guy who actually seemed to put true emotion in his promo's, the guys actually doing double handed chokeslams to his opponents, sometimes through tables, etc...

I mean, the guy is big, strong, and has the power to do other moves. What should he add into his move set, which would be realistic? I don't mean give up on the big boot and leg drop, I mean come on, that IS Hulk Hogan, he HAS to still do that stuff...

...but a few new power moves wouldn't hurt at all.

How about a type of power bomb? It isn't like he couldn't pull that off. What about some type of DDT, or a Dominator type of a move?

What move or moves would you give him?

I'm not talking a totally new move set, as he has to keep his "trademarks"! I'm just talking about maybe a couple new power moves, you know...

...to help him fit in just a bit more in this new "era"!

Guest KoR Fungus

Top rope tombstone~!  That would get him over!

Hehe seriously, some type of power move would be nice, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that he can do -and- aren't being done to death already.  Powerbombs, spinebusters and the like are nice, but so many people already do them.  I guess a dominator type move would be nice, as long as he can somehow make it suitably different from Faarooqs.

What I'd seriously like to see, though, is for him to do something with the legdrop to make it not a parody of itself.  The reason Big Show's Backlash 2000 promo was so hilarious is because Hogan and his entire moveset is so outrageous. He needs to do something with it to make it fit into the current WWF.  Make the legdrop high impact!  Top rope legdrop!  I don't know, something.  The legdrop, as it is, is just too stupid to be a finisher, and needs to be heavily modified.

Guest Nevermortal

Bah, if he doesn't do a Phoenix Splash...HE'S WORTHLESS!

Anyway; I doubt at his age he'll be changing his ways. In fact....I think we'll actually see less of his moveset. Oi.

Guest Some Guy

I remember that Hogan did powerbomb Kidman in their feud, but the powerbomb is pretty played out with 'Taker, Nash, Kane, Test, Hall others who use variations of it.

How about a DVD or even the TKO, he could pull those of and they are credible finishers.

He could hulk up, hit the big boot, DVD or TKO his opponent and drop the leg.  Like Rock's finishing sequence, the leg drop would be Hogan's People's Elbow.

just a thought.

Guest Some Guy

One more thing if Hogan doesn't expand/update his moveset at the very least he needs to execute his moves better.  His clotheslines are very weak, the big boot wasn't getting up to the chin on anyone other than Kidman and his legdrop, which at one point would get as high as the top rope in WWF wasn't making up to the lower top rope in WCW.  I bet he'll bleed alot to compensate for his sucktitude, Vince said in an interview that Hogan was a mark for bleeding.

Guest Downhome
but I thought YOU COULDN'T POWERBOMB KIDMAN~!?

Oh my God! You mean I WASN'T the only person to realize that Kidman almost NEVER was powerbombed? Damn, this just brings back horrible memories of Kidman...

...no matter WHO he wrestled, his opponent would ALWAYS attempt a powerbomb on him!

It got old, VERY quick.

Guest Tony149

I think Hogan would surprise most casual WWF fans if they see him do a Power Bomb, Spinebuster, etc. Hogan's moveset is predictable and most would laugh at it. If he can find some way to update his moveset that would be a good thing. I like the idea of Hogan using a second rope legdrop or something. Anything to make his legdrop look like it has more impact, than some guy running slow and barely getting off the ground, like most would see him as.

Guest Downhome
He could hulk up, hit the big boot, DVD or TKO his opponent and drop the leg.  Like Rock's finishing sequence, the leg drop would be Hogan's People's Elbow.

just a thought.

By God I think you've got it! That is a very good idea if you ask me, and is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking! Have him STILL do his big boot, leg drop, etc..., but have it simply be the icing on the cake to his matches, like the Peoples Elbow, and have him do a new type of power move which would ACTUALLY be his true finisher!

Guest Cataclysm911

I think that he should just do the leg drop, but have his opponents kick out of it.

At first, it would make Hogan's opponents look strong, because so many people have been put out to the leg drop, but then as time progresses, Hogan would have to go into his bag of tricks to win a match. Kind of like Austin Vs. The Rock at last years Wrestlemania. The Stunner wasn't enough, so Austin had to use the chair many, many times.

Hogan's leg drop won't be enough, so he had to do something else to win a match. How about a piledriver since they are big deals again in the WWF? Remember when Austin did it to Kurt Angle, it was played off as devestating because they haven't been seen in so long, and Austin was working over the neck & upper back. Hogan could do the same type of thing.

Seeing as how piledrivers are used so frequently nowadays, it would make Hogan seem as a threat as well.

As for the rest of his moveset, his clotheslines do look weak, so he should improve them. While wrestling in Japan, Hogans move set included several moves that should be reincorporated, such as a top rope double ax handle, and a running knee.

With Hogan's size, he should play off his strength as well. Instead of just doing a vertical suplex, he should do a stalling vertical suplex, via Davey Boy Smith. Maybe a gorilla press slam as well, although most of his opponents will probably be too heavy.

Hogan could also incorporate some submission wrestling. Since he will be working over the upper back & neck, a camel clutch type submission would be great, but with the rumors of Steiners return, maybe it wouldn't be the best option. Unless, of course, Scott Steiner quit using the recliner (like I think he should).

I like the slower, wear down matches, as opposed to the high-flying quick pace. There are less mistakes, and usually less spots in general. There is nothing wrong with wearing down an opponent with bearhugs, abdominal stretches, & headlocks.. especially, if they help work over the desired body part.

That's my take on it all. I anitcipate Hogan's return as well.

Guest Some Guy

I think the piledriver idea is a good one, except he couldn't use it on Austin, who I think is going ot be his first feud.  

In No Mercy for N64 there is a submission move where you get your opponent in a full nelson and take him down into a camel clutch position while hold the full nelson it looks cool and painful, never been seen in WWF and works the neck and shoulders.  Hogan should bust that move out and watch Smarks everywhere shit their pants.

Guest Cataclysm911

I believe that Hogan would be too big to do that move. I know what move you are talking about, I think it is called the Roku-Stretch or something like that.

Maybe a full nelson though. He could even use it to counter the Stunner.

Hogan using the piledriver on Austin would be the best way to get over as a heel. He would have to be extra careful of course, but if he was to use it on Austin, they could play an injury angle, and have Austing wheeled off on a stretcher. Instant heat.

Guest Some Guy

Maybe he could dust off Ken Patera's swinging full nelson.  I actually kinda like that move.  Looks more violent than a normal full nelson.

Guest Downhome
Hogan using the piledriver on Austin would be the best way to get over as a heel. He would have to be extra careful of course, but if he was to use it on Austin, they could play an injury angle, and have Austing wheeled off on a stretcher. Instant heat.

Very good idea, and great points...it's all true also! One of my biggest fears for this nWo thing is that they are going to be cheered, even with being with Vince. They need to do some stuff just like you just described to cement them as heels.

If the nWo become faces because the fans cheer for them, then this angle is dead right at the start. Vince/WWFE should do EVERYTHING they can to make sure this doesn't happen.

Guest Some Guy

The nWo need to be killers like when they first formed, not goofballs like they became.  Hall can still be a goof because if X-pac doesn't join the WWF can "Say hello to da JOB guy".

As for Hogan he needs to cut all that fucking stalling out, his matches as "Hollywood" were almost all running.  That shit is just seen as cheap heat to even the casual fans and will probably be booed X-pac style.  Losing the back rakes would help too.

Hogan should wrestle someone like Crash Holly on Raw and just absolutly kill him, without mercy or mocking him.  He should tear his head off with clotheslines and break out some new moves and leave him for dead.  Just show that he means business and to show the fans that they're not getting what they thought they were.

Guest Cataclysm911
The nWo need to be killers like when they first formed, not goofballs like they became.  Hall can still be a goof because if X-pac doesn't join the WWF can "Say hello to da JOB guy".

As for Hogan he needs to cut all that fucking stalling out, his matches as "Hollywood" were almost all running.  That shit is just seen as cheap heat to even the casual fans and will probably be booed X-pac style.  Losing the back rakes would help too.

Hogan should wrestle someone like Crash Holly on Raw and just absolutly kill him, without mercy or mocking him.  He should tear his head off with clotheslines and break out some new moves and leave him for dead.  Just show that he means business and to show the fans that they're not getting what they thought they were.

Well, I disagree with the first paragraph. The nWo should just be Hogan, Nash & Hall, maybe Steiner as a "surprize" run-in at a PPV in the future. X-pac should fall off of the planet. He would only hurt the nWo, because there isn't a cruiserweight division in the WWF.

Hall shouldn't be funny either. He should be taken as one of the biggest threats in the WWF, along with the other nWo members.

Hogan running was a bad thing, but it's not a bad thing when he already has the title. That is being an evil heel, who can't lose the belt because of cheat tactics/running or whatnot. I like the back racks and the eye pokes too.

Hogan shouldn't take out someone like Crash Holly in my opinion, because it would prove nothing. Crash Holly is not a threat, and you know that he would get in at least a little offense. If you want Hogan to get heat, have him obliterate someone that the fans care about like RVD, Austin or The Rock.

The Outsiders as tag-team champions & Hogan as the world champion would be the best way to go with the angle. I know that a lot of people lack faith in their ability to wrestle or what have you, but the goal of the angle is to make it seem like the WWF is going to die. So, Hogan with the top belt for a lenghty period of time (because of run-ins, DQ's, cheating) would make him seem less credible as champion, and his heat would only grow. Much like the Honky Tonk Man in his 2 year run as IC champion.

Guest InigoMontoya

If he did piledrive Austin, it'd be cool to see him do that cupping his hand to his ear thing, as the fans boo like crazy and Austin is being stretchered away. Then he could flip them off Austin style, pull Austin off the stretcher and rip his neck brace off, then put him in the <technical term= "that move where they pull there chin one way and there head the other way from a sleeper position">.

That would be hulk-heel-heat-amania! And the other two guys would be obvious heels just for being in his presence. Maybe the next show, Hall and Nash could watch the match and be saying something like, "If I was Hogan, I would'a piledrove the redneck cripple a second time".

And then of course they could push the injury to Wrestlemainia for Austin's revenge, and get this, against the doctor's orders!

Guest Cataclysm911
If he did piledrive Austin, it'd be cool to see him do that cupping his hand to his ear thing, as the fans boo like crazy and Austin is being stretchered away. Then he could flip them off Austin style, pull Austin off the stretcher and rip his neck brace off, then put him in the <technical term= "that move where they pull there chin one way and there head the other way from a sleeper position">.

That would be hulk-heel-heat-amania! And the other two guys would be obvious heels just for being in his presence. Maybe the next show, Hall and Nash could watch the match and be saying something like, "If I was Hogan, I would'a piledrove the redneck cripple a second time".

And then of course they could push the injury to Wrestlemainia for Austin's revenge, and get this, against the doctor's orders!

Exactly. Hogan would be mega-heel. I don't really agree with Hogan pulling Austin off of the stretcher after injury though. I feel that he should get the microphone and cut a post-injury promo. Hogan promos are almost always good, even if he is losing his voice.

He could say something like "How's your neck, what? I said how's your neck." and then he could steal Austin's other punchline of "That's the bottom line..." and the crowd would hate him even more. Plus, it could help to get the crowd to quit saying "what?" so much, or at least I assume.

I like the idea of Hogan feuding with the Rock too. Imigine Hogan after a scoop slam on the Rock, and he is standing by the Rocks head. Hogan kicks the Rocks arm, then mocks the People's Elbow, and does the Leg Drop instead of the elbow. That would give Hogan heat as well. Especially, if he did it after the Rock was injured, but before paramedics came to the rescue.

Hogan can be a top draw again.

Guest Sting Fanatic

Before I address Hogan, I think there is already one big flaw with the nWo coming to the WWF as opposed to the initial nWo invading WCW angle.

Unity.

Over the past three years, all the WWF superstars have flipped and flopped from Face to Heel so much, there is no unity amongst any of them.  At least, it is not believable to me.

Does anybody remember how the WCW wrestlers came together against the nWo?  Do you actually think the WWF would work out their unifying angle that way?  Doubtful.  It wouldn't showcase the Austin's and Rock's doing their interviews to get the crowd hyped while doing so.

Think of how hard it was to imagine Sting & Lex Luger trusting Ric Flair & Arn Anderson to go against the nWo.  It took time, but in the end they finally did.

The WWF would have to make the fans believe they genuinely trust each other.  Yes, Angle and Triple H must want to rid the WWF of the nWo.  Rock and Austin, Jericho and Undertaker too.  Its not easy, but if they don't succeed at this...the WWF is doomed for yet another failed big angle.

Now...

On to Hogan...

I love all the ideas being pitched around here.  However, there is one thing that new moves and more realism to the moves does not affect.

Speed.

Hogan was never known for being too agile.  Nearly 12-15 years since his prime, you KNOW the man is going to be as slow as a slug.  For Hogan to be semi-successful and NOT hurt the WWF, the other wrestlers would have to adjust.  Jericho and Angle did not adjust to a slower and less crisp HHH on Smackdown and you saw the result of that (HHH looked bad, even though he was booked to whoop both their butts).  Imagine Hogan, who is even slower than HHH, having to go against that fast-paced action.  Mindnumbing.

So, that is my reccomendation.  Find a way to protect Hogan's weaknesses such as lack of speed, his aging, deteroriation over time, etc.  He'll have to work hard for certain, but the WWF wrestlers must change their styles as well.

Otherwise, Invasion #2 goes straight down the toliet.

Guest Shesgotcrabs

Although it is not huge, it is something. Either make hogan cut the rest of his hair off or constantly wear the bandana. This does slightly reduse how old he looks. Other the totaly remaking him there is not much that can be done. He is old and wrestles that way. He won't change

Guest Lil Naitch

I like the idea of adding a power move before the leg drop to make a new finishing sequence for Hogan. Dusting off the TKO would be a good start. Or use the two-handed chokeslam mentioned earlier. Either would be an improvement.

Guest mastermind

I stated before that Toronto insiders say that Austin has REFUSED to do a one on one match with Hogan. Doesn't it seem strange that you haven't heard the rumour of Hogan vs. Austin. The reasoning is that Austin knows Hogan's politics and that Rock was more naive to have a match with Hogan. I like the ideas you guys got for Austin/Hogan. In fact, I really don't see how Hogan and Austin can't bang heads right off the bat. Hogan should actually cost Austin his match for the title as the thing writes itself. Hogan hates Austin who broke his title record in the wwf. He hates Rock who also broke his title record in the wwf.

As for a new finishing move for Hogan I think the full nelson is a good one. No one does it today and if he does the swinging full nelson it would look more devastating.

Guest Army Eye

Some nice ideas here!  If they do it right, I agree Hogan can be a big draw again.

On the subject of finishers, maybe they could turn the legdrop o' doom into a People's Elbow/Spinarooni-type "taunt" move.  Maybe have him try to win a few matches with the legdrop, but the opponent kicks out, just to establish it as an overblown finisher that doesn't quite cut it any more (like the people's elbow used to be).  Then in the future, aftter he uses his real finisher, whatever that may be, or when his opponent is laid out due to cheating/interference, have him do the familiar cupping of the ears and do the legdrop on his opponent's carcass, and get the pin for the victory. Massive heat I guarantee it :)

Guest Cataclysm911
Some nice ideas here!  If they do it right, I agree Hogan can be a big draw again.

On the subject of finishers, maybe they could turn the legdrop o' doom into a People's Elbow/Spinarooni-type "taunt" move.  Maybe have him try to win a few matches with the legdrop, but the opponent kicks out, just to establish it as an overblown finisher that doesn't quite cut it any more (like the people's elbow used to be).  Then in the future, aftter he uses his real finisher, whatever that may be, or when his opponent is laid out due to cheating/interference, have him do the familiar cupping of the ears and do the legdrop on his opponent's carcass, and get the pin for the victory. Massive heat I guarantee it :)

That's what I said.

Guest Cataclysm911
Army Eye said:Some nice ideas here! If they do it right,I agree Hogan can be a big draw again.

On the subject of finishers, maybe they could turn the legdrop o' doom into a People's Elbow/Spinarooni-type "taunt" move. Maybe have him try to win a few matches with the legdrop, but the opponent kicks out, just to establish it as an overblown finisher that doesn't quite cut it any more (like the people's elbow used to be). Then in the future, aftter he uses his real finisher, whatever that may be, or when his opponent is laid out due to cheating/interference, have him do the familiar cupping of the ears and do the legdrop on his opponent's carcass, and get the pin for the victory. Massive heat I guarantee it

Throughout my posts, I said: Hogan can be a top draw again.

I think that he should just do the leg drop,but have his opponents kick out of it.

Hogan's leg drop won't be enough, so he had to do something else to win a match. How about a piledriver since they are big deals again in the WWF?

I like the idea of Hogan feuding with the Rock too. Imigine Hogan after a scoop slam on the Rock, and he is standing by the Rocks head. Hogan kicks the Rocks arm, then mocks the People's Elbow, and does the Leg Drop instead of the elbow.

That would give Hogan heat as well.

Different?