TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justcoz

Smackdown Relay Match

That was perhaps one of my favorite WWE television moments this year. Possibly behind only the early Regal-Eugene skits and HHH/Regal last week. They should consider running these relay matches more often. Maybe even take notes from TNA's X Division. Put some teams together, run a little series of matches, have standings, a championship match to crown the year's Smackdown Relay champions. Then the winning team, after winning a cash prize/trophy, must face each other in a Triple Threat to face the WWE champion. Possible teams:

Rey Mysterio/Paul London/Billy Kidman

Ultimo/Kenzo Suzuki/Funaki

Jamie Noble/Akio/Chavo Guerrerro

Eddie Guerrero/Rob Van Dam/John Cena

Kurt Angle/Luther Reins/Charlie Haas

Booker T/Rene Dupree/Mark Jindrak

Doug Basham/Danny Basham/Heidenreich

The Dudleys

Nunzio/Johnny Stamboli/Chuck Palumbo (back from Raw)

Meh..I personally didn't like it that much. I mean, in ways it was a 'glorified tag match'. And it kind of sucks..if the first guy on your team happens to get pinned...the match is over for you, and in ways basically a tag match. And the only time..IMO that it would truly work, is if two participants are in a feud..and theyre' the last two..much like Cena/Booker tonight.

I liked it. It was about half an hour, but didn't seem that long because other people were constantly coming in. I wouldn't want to see it as a regular occurence, but it's good for once in a while situations.

Guest Fook

They could make this a yearly thing and make it a PPV only gimmick match (like the Rumble or the Survivor Series matches). I suggest doing it at Summerslam, preferably having a team from Raw vs a team from SD.

It was neat for the Olympic theme, but I'm not sure I'd actually like to see it on a regular basis.

Actually, I thought it was pretty boring. It just made too much of the match feel inconsequential, as you knew that Cena and Booker T would have the deciding fall. Having to take commercial breaks in the middle didn't do it any favors credibility-wise either.

I think if they actually wanted to do it regularly, they'd have to do it with regular (2 person) tag teams so that the ending wouldn't be telgraphed every time

Guest Tjhe CyNick

I liked the concept, but I think it needs to be 2 out of 3 falls. That way you can build more drama within the match. Only having one pinfall makes the beginning seem meaningless because like in the case on Thurs, you knew Cena had to get in there.

But if they made it 2/3 falls, I think it would be something they could use a semi-regualr basis.

That said, I wouldn't make championships for it, because I dont think the WWE can handle the titles they have, adding a new one will further devaule the ones they have.

Like most other people on this board, my biggest complaint was the fact that you knew it wouldn't end before all 6 guys had been in the ring. What they could have done - and IMHO should have done - is made it elimination style. Same theory, one guy from each team starts, and the winner of the coin toss still gets to change in the fresh man after 5 minutes. But, if a guy is eliminated than he's gone for good, and his two teammates have to switch back and forth each time. It would make the match longer (for single brand PPVs) and would make it harder to predict when the match would end.