TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

Kyle Farnsworth is more of a liability than Sosa.

I'm at the end of my rope with this guy. Just like Smoltz, Gagne, and Rivera, when this guy comes in, you know the outcome. Except with Farnsworth it's not lights-out, it's a thorough cock-rocking that blows the biggest of leads, as many as four runs this year alone. He's supposedly the closer of the future, sayeth the Cubs, for YEARS now. He's obviously never going to be a worthy closer. I'd say trade him, but I think he's such damaged goods that this never-was would just elicit a hearty laugh from every GM in the majors. Fire his ass now.

I agree. Fuck this guy. He's had years to pull it all together and he's flopped. He's had a couple decent seasons sprinkled in between some god-awful ones. Last year was okay, but at this point, that's not good enough. Worst yet, he's had a pitiful season so far and I don't see it getting any better. Put him on the DL or something. Anything to keep him from coming in any games.

And to a point, this is Baker's fault too. This guy clearly can't handle pressure and yet, Baker brings him in to some of the most pressure-filled situations the Cubs get themselves in. I was watching with my girlfriend today and as soon as they brought him in, I told her it was over. Just an inning before, I told her how big the potentional run at third for the Cubs was, since a two-run lead isn't enough for the Cubs. Too bad I was right.

What a wasted outing for Prior, who looked great. They got a new bullpen, but it's still the same results. They fucking suck. How about investing some money into the damn thing, since it's still clearly the weakest link on the team?

I agree. Fuck this guy. He's had years to pull it all together and he's flopped.

My thoughts exactly. I remember when he first came up in '99 and everyone was saying how great Farns was going to be and blah blah blah. He's just as wild now as he was then and has definitely outlived his usefulness.

Trade him now while they can maybe get a couple of bats along with that proverbial bag of baseballs for him.

Guest Smues
I was watching with my girlfriend today and as soon as they brought him in, I told her it was over. Just an inning before, I told her how big the potentional run at third for the Cubs was, since a two-run lead isn't enough for the Cubs. Too bad I was right.

Not that I pay attention to the Cubs, but this sounds just like when the Mariners had Jose Mesa back in 2000. Everytime he came into a game any Mariner fans I knew would start yelling "Fuck it's Mesa we're gonna lose."

My brother and I have a running joke about Farnsworth. I thought he was shitty last year (bear in mind that was his GOOD year), but this year he has taken being a horrible set up man/reliever to new heights.

The nadir of this is his embarrassments against the Cardinals this year. I remember that game where the Cubs were up 9-5 and they put Farnsworth in....and of course he fucked up, loaded the bases, and threw a wild pitch that scored the winning run (yeah it was scored a passed ball but when the catcher misses one due to the shock of a pitch being way too high, that's on the pitcher).

I also remember another Cards/Cubs game where the Cubs were ahead the ENTIRE game, and then they put in Farnsworth....only to have Pujols and Taguchi (fucking SO TAGUCHI????) take him yard. Pujols is one thing, but So Taguchi??

Then this crap today, giving up the lead against the Dodgers. Seriously, it is time to stop this man before he sucks again. Release his ass, release his ass, release his ass!

Guest Evolution

I've been wanting Farnsworth to be far away from the Cubs for such a long, long time now.

In general, I have a lot of trouble keeping the faith in the Cubs bullpen. I think most of that started when Farnsworth first started fucking up majorly.

CAN we trade his sorry ass? Not even the Arizona Diamondbacks would take this guy. He should be banished to the northwest suburbs and pitch for the Schaumburg Flyers or Kane County Cougars where he can grab his crotch in comparative solitude.

I was watching with my girlfriend today and as soon as they brought him in, I told her it was over.  Just an inning before, I told her how big the potentional run at third for the Cubs was, since a two-run lead isn't enough for the Cubs.  Too bad I was right.

Not that I pay attention to the Cubs, but this sounds just like when the Mariners had Jose Mesa back in 2000. Everytime he came into a game any Mariner fans I knew would start yelling "Fuck it's Mesa we're gonna lose."

As a Phillies fan, I know the pain.

He'd look good in a Kane County Cougars uniform..

By the way...I hate Farnsworth. I swear. I went to a Cubs game back at the end of June against the Astros. When he came in, this was the response..."Ah fuck, it's Farnsworth!"

Rusch is good...save for his performance today. And Hawkins is a keeper.

Farnsworth is like a less successful, more powerful Rod Beck....always on the brink of disaster...usually causes a meltdown.

I was watching with my girlfriend today and as soon as they brought him in, I told her it was over.  Just an inning before, I told her how big the potentional run at third for the Cubs was, since a two-run lead isn't enough for the Cubs.  Too bad I was right.

Or Stanton this year and Franco since god knows when. God damnit, John Franco. Stop being a motherfucking glory hog. Yes, you were the only bright spot on the Mets for a few years, but now you're an old sack of shit. Go be the Mets BP coach or 'Clones pitching coach.

The Mets have other problems, though. Piazza is choking harder than Derek Jeter on a sausage sandwich.

Today was the first time I can recall one of the two flat out saying they needed to take Farnsworth out of there if they were going to stop the damage. I guess on the postgame show, Steve Stone actually indirectly said that Baker needs to step up because this team's lacking leadership. I couldn't agree with him more.

It'll prolly get him banned from Wrigley Field or something, but he's right. Dusty wants to be the players' friend and Sammy's too busy finding excuses for his horrible slump.

It's times like this when I miss Harry Caray. Harry wouldn't sugar coat this shit. He'd flat out say Farnsworth sucks ass and you know what? A year later Farns would be GONE. After all, what would they do, ban Harry? Remember how Harry used to trash Brian McRae until they dumped him?

I don't understand how a guy with a 98 mph fastball could be this hopeless. I suppose he has no control, but you'd think that for a relief man the heat alone could get him by for an inning or so.

It's times like this when I miss Harry Caray. Harry wouldn't sugar coat this shit. He'd flat out say Farnsworth sucks ass and you know what? A year later Farns would be GONE. After all, what would they do, ban Harry? Remember how Harry used to trash Brian McRae until they dumped him?

Harry Carey transcends death. That's all I have to say.

For comparison, here's BPro's 10 Worst relievers this season.....

Rocky Biddle

Ryan Wagner

Mike DeJean

Matt Herges

Ben Weber

Roberto Hernandez

Gabe White

S. Colyer

Jerome Robertson

Jose Jimenez

If your least favorite pitcher missed the cut, its likely playing time.

For comparison, here's BPro's 10 Worst relievers this season.....

Rocky Biddle

Ryan Wagner

Mike DeJean

Matt Herges

Ben Weber

Roberto Hernandez

Gabe White

S. Colyer

Jerome Robertson

Jose Jimenez

If your least favorite pitcher missed the cut, its likely playing time.

Mike DeJean with the Orioles:

6.13 ERA 1.94 WHIP 8.17K/9

Mike DeJean with Mets:

1.59 ERA 1.24 WHIP 11K/9

Should take DeJean off that list and put on Stanton, and David Weathers for that matter!

Today was the first time I can recall one of the two flat out saying they needed to take Farnsworth out of there if they were going to stop the damage. I guess on the postgame show, Steve Stone actually indirectly said that Baker needs to step up because this team's lacking leadership. I couldn't agree with him more.

It'll prolly get him banned from Wrigley Field or something, but he's right. Dusty wants to be the players' friend and Sammy's too busy finding excuses for his horrible slump.

I think it was both. And Chip and Steve did not come off as impartial broadcasters in the late innings and postgame, they seemed legitimately pissed at the Cubs today.

As for Sammy's excuse, I think he's blaming it on the spicy tacos he keeps getting at every break. You'd think he'd get it by now! I'm always yelling at the TV, all "NO! No Sammy! Don't do it! DON'T TAKE THE SPECIAL TACO! The White Sox fan is trying to sabotage you! The Pepsi goes straight to your hips, Sammy, it's only the quick fix! DON'T!!!!!!"

Someone on ESPN reported two scouts say the Cubs are the worst fundamental team in baseball.

Missing the cut-off man, poor base running, unable to bunt in proper situations.

Dave Campbell said the same exact thing on the Hot List last week. And it's true. He said they've got a lot of talent but a lot of the guys don't have that natural instinct that makes a lot of teams successful. They make mental errors that beat themselves, whereas a team like the Cardinals almost never make such mistakes and take advantage of teams that do. Hence the huge difference in the two team's respective record.

And I think Stone and Carray had a reason to be pissed. That seemed like a game that they more or less had locked up. Prior had pitched beautifully, they were actually hitting the ball pretty well and playing some strong defense (i.e. Lee at first). Then it all fell apart. Whether they're supposed to be partial or not, you can't ignore reality and the reality was the Cubs had no excuse not to win yesterday. They lost because they fucked up. Simple as that.

Those other 10 jobbers listed above might be crappy, but how many are really on contending teams? As in do they really blow games that anyone cares about? I mean, Farnsworth fucks up important games against contending teams. I saw him singlehandedly cost them two important games against the Cardinals this year, possibly the two most critical losses the Cubs have had. The first was when they could have tied for 1st but blew it, and it started the descent into hell. The 2nd was when he blew it and they fell 10 behind the Cards. Yesterday might have been the fiasco that leads to them blowing the Wildcard. Nobody, and I mean nobody has had higher profile fuckups than Farnsworth this year.

People pay too much attention to stats without watching actual games. If you look at the stats there's no reason why the Cubs should be 13 out. But watch them sometime, see how often they have someone thrown out at 3rd due to bad baserunning. See how they don't turn 2 at a critical moment, whereas the Cardinals always do.

Anyway, to conclude the Farnsworth thing...does it seem like on ESPN and other places that they don't fully trash this guy? It's like no one but Cubs fans really notice the suck here.

Those other 10 jobbers listed above might be crappy, but how many are really on contending teams?

Matt Herges closed games for the Giants. Robertson and Jimenez pitched poorly for the Indians, who would be in first if not for their bullpen. Weber pitches for the Angels. Hernandez pitches for the Phillies.

"Matt Herges closed games for the Giants. Robertson and Jimenez pitched poorly for the Indians, who would be in first if not for their bullpen. Weber pitches for the Angels. Hernandez pitches for the Phillies."

The Giants usually have Rob Nen though, don't they? And the Angels have an otherwise solid bullpen I would assume. The Phillies are hopeless and out of it, so no one cares about Hernandez. As far as the Indians goes, even if they somehow make the playoffs they're a textbook 1st round sweep for someone.

The Cubs however might actually DO SOMETHING if not for dipshits like Farnsworth. They can overcome the bad fielding and base running, but it's hard to overcome a guy who can't hold a 4 run lead.