TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
justcoz

Where the summer has gone wrong for WWE

Eugene: Nick Dinsmore played this part like a champ upon his debut. They had a really nice thing going with the Regal/Eugene pairing. Something that could've developed SLOWLY with Regal taking a liking to Eugene but always having to go along with Eric Bischoff's orders. Regal being outsmarted by Eugene and liking it.

Eugene wrestling lower card guys and jobbers and shocking everyone with his innovative wrestling style and unexpected knowledge of mat wrestling. WWE stars could have been shown embracing him and marveling at his knowledge of wrestling history. We could have got some laughs with Eugene randomly mouthing off various things related to wrestling's past - even shots at the smark community. Really played on making WWF/WCW history to Eugene what The Beatles were to Sean Penn's character in I Am Sam.

Smarks would have liked him because he wrestled like Nick Dinsmore, only with some novelty references to stars from the past. Creative could have mocked smart fans a bit by having him comment on the Super J Cup, dressing up like Ultimo Dragon because he wanted to see Ultimo on Raw, etc. He could still have the stunners, hogan ear cup and people's elbow. He also throws in an NWO 4-life hand signal or DX crotch chop and spray paints Eugene on Coach's back. He also establishes his own wrestling style because he's a freakin' wrestling idiot savant!

Instead, Regal/Eugene prove to be a dynamic tv pair and they blow their wad on the suspense just a few weeks into their relationship. Regal likes Eugene instantly, immediately stands up to Uncle Eric, Eugene turns on him and joins Evolution to be with his favorite wrestler. Regal's in-ring comeback is a thrashing by Kane rather than a PPV fight in Eugene's honor. That is one year's worth of angles for creative in less than two months!!!!! Probably because they don't have a wrestling mind in there pacing all of this for them. Their writers are lazy and can't pace anything, they only know they have to get to "this person vs. this person" at the next PPV.

In the ring, Eugene is only seen on television giving a people's elbow and a stunner. No wrestling which is Dinsmore's strong point. His pops haven't been the same since they stupidly turned him heel and allowed HHH and Evolution to out smart him. Suddenly then, he became a retard to the casual fan and not the idiot savant who was smarter than all the stupid heels.

He's pushed to main events when he should have been wrestling Superstars style matches with OVW jobbers on Raw for six months and building an undefeated streak that surpasses Goldberg's. WWE doesn't have any "attitude" though. Eugene gets booed because HHH is booked to look cooler. They don't let Dinsmore get his wrestling and the character over gradually, he's just pushed right to the top attraction so HHH can feed off of his pops.

JBL: See above. This character could have been GOLD if developed at a slower pace. Not into a racist feud with Eddie Guerrerro and insulting the Latino viewing audience who adds to Smackdown's ratings. Definitely not into a WWE title reign!

JBL should have been campaigning through November, along with GW, to get a WWE title shot.

JOHN CENA: Pitiful babyface run that has totally cut the balls and edge from his character. You know, the type of things that GOT HIM OVER as a heel. It's like turning Stone Cold face and not allowing him to shoot the finger and tell people he's going to whoop their ass! THIS IS JOHN M'F'N CENA MOFOS! He's not meant to deliver babyface style raps and carry noisemakers to the ring or toss out t-shirts to the crowd. He's meant to be edgy and make people listen for how far he will push the envelop. Cena is weak and stale now because he's being nice and not controversial. The writers or Cena (not sure how that works) want to write cute little rips like, "Oh, he swings the other way" that piss off the heel and get a pop because he just insinuated that the other wrestler gay. That's not cutting edge - that's gay!

EDDIE/BENOIT: Ah, the end of Wrestlemania. What a beautiful site. Eddie and Benoit closing the show. The next few months of WWE sports entertainment with two deserving workhoarses as champions and the possibility of some classic matches. You know, Eddie feuding with the guy from the APA? Benoit vs. Kane? Oh, I'm sorry, you were thinking things like Eddie vs. RVD or Benoit vs. Jericho or hell even The Hurricane.

Chris played second to HBK/HHH and then HHH/Eugene. The WWE champion was nothing but a bit player in their storylines. The reign was a match against Kane and then another with Randy Orton. Both of which were quickly pieced together without much storyline buildup.

Chris Benoit deserved a reign where his talents were respected and he allowed himself to demonstrate why he earned that position without Rock charisma or Hulk's look.

Ditto for Eddie. I understand that Kurt Angle's post Wrestlemania hiatus more than likely screwed up a continuing program with them. Then Brock's retirement as well. I thought that was the reason for the draft lottery? They acquire both RVD and Booker T who so desperately needed the new digs and could have benefitted from a title program? Instead they rush JBL's push.

My frustration isn't with JBL having the title. It's that he got it this soon when he should've got the character over first. Maybe people would have accepted him with the belt six months from now. The championship should be a reward for someone getting a character over. The championship shouldn't be used to get someone over and to establish a character. That's what we have with JBL.

SHELTON BENJAMIN: There was a golden opportunity for WWE to get Shelton over on Smackdown in Lesnar's absence. A series with Eddie for the championship even. His presence on the show could have been a God send in Benoit and Angle's absence.

In WWE's mind, they pushed Shelton with his move to Raw and victory over HHH. It was a big deal at the time, yes. The follow up to it was again pathetic. Shelton went from the cocky talented kid with a smirk on his face when he faced HHH to a bland smiling babyface. Generic music. Glorified jobber attire. He never got the mic. Main evented for maybe one or two weeks before they seemingly decided to de-push him. Now again look at the possibilities that existed with keeping him on Smackdown.

Guest UncleJoeyMark

Now Now Fellas, let's not be hasty, Lot's of people thought Full House jumped the shark when DJ drank beer at her high School dance, but not me, no SIR! I know that delivering special messages to children an teens alike, everywhere throughout the world is something That I, and the WWE take seriously. SO if YOU decide to take the messages they OFFER like " Eat Lots of Potatoes" And " I love Johnny Unitas" Then you will be better off, if not I offer this advice, Cut your meat intake, cut your hair and

CUT + IT + OUT!!!

Bathtime, kids!

If you related your post to WWE a little bit more to WWE, it'd be funnier...Uncle Joey.

Oh, good post...but you could of just said "WWE sucks" and it would of saved you the time and effort.

I agree absolutely. The biggest problem is pacing, and we will definitely see it now that Orton won the title so soon. The problem isn't as much that Orton isn't ready, but that now the peak interest of HHH/Orton should be occuring sometime around Royal Rumble, rather than Wrestlemania. It is going to be extremely difficult to delay an in-ring confrontation between HHH & Orton for 7 months without the interest in the match having declined by the time they actually get in the ring.

You now have to delay the start of the HHH/Orton program until January, or have them fight right away and build towards a rematch. It is also going to be tough to explain why the biggest star on RAW doesn't deserve a title shot for 7 months, in addition to finding HHH something to do for the rest of the year (Benoit, Eugene & HBK have been done. My guess is Shelton although that would be counterproductive to any future pushes for Shelton since there is no way HHH will be allowed to lose this feud). Giving Orton the belt at Survivor Series would have been ideal.

On the Smackdown side, JBL is great. WWE Champion JBL is not. Had Booker kept up his 'I want back on RAW' gimmick because he considers himself better than anyone on Smackdown, I think he would have made a good heel champ for a little bit. He isn't a great wrestler anymore either, but he is a former 5 time WCW Champion so he has credibility that JBL didn't when they began his push. JBL is getting there, but he's still got a long ways to go to be completely accepted as champion. Booker would have required less time to accomplish this.

Big Problem #2 is the insistance on making comedy figures instead of serious wrestlers. This has neutered the ability of Eugene, Eddy Guerrero & John Cena especially this summer. Comedy wrestlers sell T-Shirts, serious wrestlers sell tickets. There is a purpose for comedy wrestlers, just don't push them to the top or the crowd won't take them seriously.

Guest Dids

I've got no idea why people are shitting all over the original post, it made some great points, especially about Eugene's booking. They got the character over, but then didn't follow through with the in-ring work as well. He needed his own finisher, and to play more on his wrestling skill than some innate retard muscle power.

The fact that you'd rather have somebody say "WWE sucks" than make a post with actual thought involved speaks why this forum tends to stink.

I agree, Dids. They really fucked the Eugene program up when the abandoned his Rain Man-esque wrestling ability's and focused on his "special abilities". I sure as hell expected a lot more wrestling in his match against HHH last night.

Guest Fook

When Benjamin came over and beat HHH, he was initially a smirking, cocky character who wasn't afraid to talk shit. And the crowd was HOT for him.

Within two weeks he was reduced to Generic Smiling Babyface #343 and the crowd interest died.

When Benjamin came over and beat HHH, he was initially a smirking, cocky character who wasn't afraid to talk shit. And the crowd was HOT for him.

Within two weeks he was reduced to Generic Smiling Babyface #343 and the crowd interest died.

I noticed that as well. Shelton debuted on Raw as being really strong. Then he just kinda faded into the background. I know for now he's just a midcarder, but after debuting and beating HHH (who is booked on RAW to be completely unsopttable) they didn't do anything to capitalize on it.

Exactly. His first Raw was handled perfectly. His interaction with Stone Cold and Austin liking his attitude especially. His mannerisms in the entire match with HHH. The week following the win he should've came out with some new ring attire that made him look more bad ass rather than his Team Angle persona. He should've had some new music, something from Jay Z or something. He should've kept the cocky attitude and they would have had a new star.

Instead we got the generic smiling babyface that WWE have yet to realize routinely gets shit on by their audience.

The minute I knew they blew it with Benjamin was during the third match with him and HHH when he was tossed outside the ring and HBK interjected and brawled with HHH making the match a no contest. I don't think the announcers even spoke of Shelton again. I was waiting for an interview with him backstage or something. Maybe something where he commented that he beat HHH twice and couldn't understand how politics enabled HHH to be considered a challenger for Benoit's title. Christ, even a Benoit vs. Benjamin RAW title match would have been logical since he had two victories over the former champion. Nada.

There are times when it's obvious that WWE want to push someone and make them a huge star. For instance, JBL and Orton. Then there are others where they try to create the impression that they are trying to make someone a huge star but they really aren't. Benjamin falls into that category.

Excellent post man .

I agree they could have went a little slower route with the Eugene angle ........ but the crowds were giving it HUGE pops . So WWE had to roll with it I guess ...... you know they have to keep up the big time ratings and all . :lol:

I usually hate threads that are started just so someone can bitch about the WWE, but that was good stuff, dude.

Guest GreatOne

It's called striking when the iron's hot. Who's gonna care about Eugene in seven months? Hell who cared about him tonight? Who really cared about him when you consider that the heel heat HHH was getting was 'YOU TAPPED OUT' (my biggest argument that Benoit wasn't 'made insignificant' as some would believe) which had nothing to do with Eugene.

Hell you could make the same argument with Foley that you're making with Eugene in all reality. Where would Foley have been if all he was doing was squash matches on RAW and Superstars for four months?

You can't on one hand defend the 'Maple Leaf' crowd for 'rejecting the shit that was given to them last night' and blame WWE for not doing a slow burn on the other. Plus you do the slow burn and you run the risk of fizzing out altogether.

Everyone can tell that Eugene was pushed way too quickly.

I SINCERELY doubt that when they debuted, they hoped to have him in the main event spot in a month or so.

But that's what happened. We were saying when they mentioned Eugene in a world title shot for the first time, they're striking when the iron's hot. Well, I guess they struck too hard. Similarly, the crowd was popping for the wrestling, it was clear. Compare Eugene's match with Johnny Nitro with his matches later on. Eugene wasn't meant to be uppercard, IMO. He needed to be in emotionless matches early on.

Can Dinsmore make a new character now that Eugene will only slow down? I dunno. He's backed into gimmick hell along with Val Venis...

Guest deadbeater

Another thing: they had Molly cut her hair and put her in a wig--to be blonde. It was fun--for a show or two.

There was one Raw in which Vickie took the wig off--and Molly wigged out in reaction. But there was no followup to that. None. At least Molly grew her hair back to look a little like Gwen Stefani's.