TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Matches you would have loved to see

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Me?

Ric Flair (circa '81-'94) vs. Mistuharu Misawa (circa '93-'97)

For the NWA World Heavyweight Title

Why? Because I would like to see a match where NEITHER man is sure what he's gotten himself into...

Misawa is a straight up stoic badass... but he's never faced someone as SMART as Ric Flair; a guy who will do *anything* to keep the World Title. Someone who will throw low blows, eyepokes, closed fists, interference, and NEVER give your ass a clean break. Another thing that can be interesting is to see if Flair can puncture Misawa's stoic cool. Imagine if for the fourtieth time Misawa's momentum is blocked by Flair either ducking out or cheating. Imagine seeing Misawa get pissed off, kind of bizarre, but interesting.

The other side of the coin is that Flair would be working with someone who compliments his formula tremendously. Flair shows a TON of emotion in the ring, and that's a nice counterpoint to Misawa. Plus, Misawa no sells, and Lord knows Flair needs to look like a dumbass every so often in a title match. Plus, Misawa can go hold for hold with Flair for sixty minutes.

Guest whitemilesdavis
*pauses* What?

*explains it to Tom Collins*

You see, he just described a match he would have liked to have seen.

Guest Contentious C

Giant-sized "what if", too - as in, "even if it had happened, there's no damn way it would have happened anything like that."

"Ever wonder why we're here?"

"That's one of life's great mysteries. Why *are* we here? Are we the product of some cosmic coincidence, or is there a God, watching over us, with a plan for us all? I don't know, man...but it keeps me up at nights."

*pauses* "What?!?! I mean why are we right here?"

"Oh...."

"And what was all that stuff about God?"

"Uhh, err, nothing."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No."

Guest Ray
Misawa is a straight up stoic badass... but he's never faced someone as SMART as Ric Flair

tsuruta2.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I'd like a Kawada/Takada match.

H (1999-2000) vs. AJ Styles (2002-2003). I don't mean Hayabusa, and I don't mean post-H Hayabusa. I mean H. Ezaki's best work, IMO, was as H, as he stopped doing pointless matwork, and just showed a generally badass attitude in the ring by being a dick the fans loved. Against AJ? We'd have a ***1/2-**** affair right there. Flying, great selling, and enough emotion to make Ebenezer Scrooge dress up like Santa.

Another match I'd like to see would be Amazing Red (2002-2003) vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (1996-1998). I just think it'd be an out-of-this-world spotfest (say what you will about Red being a spotmonkey, but he's probably the best spotmonkey in the world). Neither would have a true advantage, and it would be pretty damn fun to watch.

Someone who will throw low blows, eyepokes, closed fists, interference, and NEVER give your ass a clean break.

There's that Akira Taue guy. ;)

The other side of the coin is that Flair would be working with someone who compliments his formula tremendously

What? Sorry but I don't see Misawa playing "Flair by numbers".

Misawa was at his best when letting himself getting dominated by his opponent, giving him the opportunity to sell his ass off and space their moves out enough so he can stage his epic comeback.

Flair was also at his strongest when allowing his opponents to dominate.

This is a conflict that wouldn't be resolved well since even in his prime Flair didn't have the high end offense for 90s All Japan. Misawa would basically be forced to epically put over "dated" offense. And unlike other aging superstars like Baba, Jumbo, and Hansen, Flair has actually toned out his offense over the years rather than adding more modern moves to it.

On the otherside of the coin, Flair is notorious for forcing his opponents to cator their offense to his trademark bumps. So Misawa would probably have to leave the majority of his high end offense at home in favor of Backbody Drops and Slams off the top turnbuckle.

Plus, Misawa can go hold for hold with Flair for sixty minutes.

I can't recall Misawa ever going sixty in a singles match. His 40+ plus minute epics with Kobashi come to mind but Flair would be out of his league in a match like that.

If it was to go that long, Misawa would have to restrict himself and work Flair's match. That's really the only way this could go anyway, since there's no way Flair could work Misawa's match. In the end, it would be a terribly disappointing match, especially for Misawa who's capable of so much more than that.

Matches I think could work:

Vader vs. Kobashi 93

-Fuck their boring late 90s matches. This is the year they should have met.

Hase/Sasaki vs. Misawa/Kawada 91

-The two best teams in the world at that point.

Stiener Brothers vs. Kobashi/Kikuchi 92

-Probably wouldn't be as great as the Can Am match but Kobashi and Kikuchi might have been able to lead the Michigan Spot Machines through the best match of their careers.

Blue Panther ('93ish) vs. Chris Benoit ('94)

This would be the shit. A 2/3 falls lucha match. The first fall'd have the beautiful matwork both men are known for, the second fall would be all about the flying, and in the third fall they could bust out the moveset. Yes, greatness. Greatness.

Barry Windham ('87ish) vs. Jerry Lawler ('86ish)

This probably has happened before. I need to see it, like, now--if it is so.

El Hijo del Santo ('94-'96) vs. Ricky Steamboat ('87-'89)

Yeah, this would be awesome.

Edit: Why exactly is this in Puro?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Giant-sized "what if", too - as in, "even if it had happened, there's no damn way it would have happened anything like that."

"That's one of life's great mysteries. Why *are* we here? Are we the product of some cosmic coincidence, or is there a God, watching over us, with a plan for us all? I don't know, man...but it keeps me up at nights."

*pauses* "What?!?! I mean why are we right here?"

"Oh...."

"Uhh, err, nothing."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No."

I feel bad that you typed all that out... and no one took the time to tell you, you aren't funny.

"That's one of life's great mysteries.  Why *are* we here?  Are we the product of some cosmic coincidence, or is there a God, watching over us, with a plan for us all?  I don't know, man...but it keeps me up at nights."

*pauses* "What?!?!  I mean why are we right here?"

"Oh...."

"Uhh, err, nothing."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No."

I feel bad that you typed all that out... and no one took the time to tell you, you aren't funny.

I think I read that in, like, a newspaper comic strip or something of that sort.

Guest Staravenger

Bret Hart vs. Kurt Angle

Ricky Stamboat vs. Shawn Michaels

Chris Benoit vs. Hulk Hogan (1-on-1 obviously)

Shawn Michaels vs. Hulk Hogan

Hulk Hogan vs. Ricky Steamboat

All in their prime of course.