TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

Well, she said that she's been on the Island for about 3+ years at this point and Alex is clearly a teen (and she was taken 16 years ago)...and Rousseau talked about having her child snatched away from her, so I don't think its possible.

Dames

I'll say, to soften mylast post, I don't think LOST is a terrible show or anything. It's just that the first season was SO damn good, that everything since has been a letdown. I only watch like 2-3 hours of TV a week. So, Heroes, Vernoica Mars and the NBC sitcoms have pretty much filled my personal lineup. I may pick up season 3 on DVD.

I just get the same sort of feeling I get with Alias and Twin Peaks.

Of course, Twin Peaks caved to the pressure of the Laura Palmer murder too early. I could've watched Cooper and the various denizens of the town be weird and talk backward for a ew years. But then, I like Lynch movies.

Guest Vitamin X

I think the whole reason LOST doesn't reveal things too quickly is because they're trying to avoid that same Twin Peaks drop-off. But it seems that in this new era, that just causes viewers to drop anyways, as well.

I enjoyed the episode, if season 2 hadn't existed save for maybe just a couple Others-related episodes in the middle to clear things up, it would have made the series as a whole much better. None of the flashbacks in season 2 were all that great or helpful, aside from tiny reveals to stupid questions (HOW DID KATE RUN AWAY??) and all the tail section survivors have died by now. Walt is still missing, and now so is Michael. It shouldn't have taken an entire season to get from where we were at the end of season one and the beginning of season three, and that's the main problem with the show.

However, 3 has done well and picked up where one should've left off in terms of intensity, excitement, and good ol' fashioned dramatic writing.

I think the whole reason LOST doesn't reveal things too quickly is because they're trying to avoid that same Twin Peaks drop-off. But it seems that in this new era, that just causes viewers to drop anyways, as well.

Yeah, Twin Peaks had one overriding mystery that people were obsessed with, and anything they could've revealed would've been a let-down. I find that it's the fucking bizarre Lynch characters that made the show, but of course, I watched it like five years after it was over.

To this day, the only big mystery on TV I've seen solved satisfyingly is the big mystery of season 1 of Veronica Mars.

With Lost, they don't have to blow the big ending, just give a couple minor answers, or at least reminders so people don't think they've dropped entire plots (which they did, with the tail passengers). THen, keep up the character interaction.

Complicated mythologies and characters existing in a vacuum can only last so long. Actually, a more valid comparison for Lost may be THe Prisoner.

Something doesn't sit right with the whole Jack situation for me. He told Kate to never come back for him when he knows full well Locke, Sayid, Sawyer and a couple others could probably save him easily. Ben woke up during the surgery and talked to Jack for a little bit, then when they left the room so Ben could talk to Juliet, Tom introduced himself to Jack like they were good buddies. And when Juliet told him that she could leave the island if she helped Kate and Sawyer escape, he looked heartbroken. I think Jack's smart enough to realize if he is stuck on the island, the Others are his best option and Ben has gotten to him.

That episode is the Lost I had come to love but had been missing for awhile. It had action and suspense while furthering storylines but still adding more questions in your mind. Great episode.

Gotta agree with that. This was a Desmond centric episode so that's already a plus in its favor. For those that dislike the flashbacks, this is why they still have them. It added so much to the episode and answered questions which is the main complaint. Sure it brought up new ones, but I think it adequately answered the main question of where the hell Desmond went. Why and how may even get answered next week (doubtful, but the English chick is in it) which is cool. The big reveal at the end reminded me of how they set up Locke's season 1 one. Not the same level of surprise as we now have a better idea of what to expect from the show, but it probably got most of us, which means it was good writing. And a nice sense of forboding at the end. Can't wait till next week... we should find out a lot about season 2, much in the same way they did it for season 1 last year.

That was one of the best episodes of the show, ever. It was a complete change of pace, but it was ridiculously compelling. I may be biased because (1) I am greatly interested in the concepts and principles of time travel and (2) the episode literally just finished, whereas I have been able to view the other episodes of the series multiple times, but the whole thing was just enthralling. Wow. What a fucking rush.

I thought the episode was really well done. I didn't even see the Charlie thing coming at the end, which was a nice last scene moment.

I can't decide if I like the way this season they've been focusing entire episodes on one character or group of characters and not showing the other survivors at all. It's good in some ways as it maintains the story flow for an episode, but the other characters (Sayid, Jin, Sun, etc.) seem to be getting lost in the shuffle, which I don't like.

I thought it was a great episode that answered some Desmond questions but raised others just like the great Lost episodes do.

Thinking back to season one when Jack revived Charlie after Ethan hung him, there are numerous times death was thwarted from getting Charlie. I thought it was just his luck to get out of the situations, but after Desmond's speech, it's another one of the little things that are added that make the show that much more awesome.

Guest Dope Priest Prophecy

I think it sets up something really predictable like someone else taking a bullet (figuratively or literally) for Charlie.

What I got from this is that Desmond did not actually go through time, just a dream he had while he was knocked the fuck out. The Island was making him see that, perhaps the same as Locke and Eko's dreams.

How he can now see the future...I have no idea.

I was a bit tipsy watching this... so I spent a great deal of the time in WTF land, but overall it was ok.

I like where it leaves us.

This week's show saw a 'crash' in the ratings...

New 'Lost' episode hits a ratings low

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer Thu Feb 15, 6:19 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - "Lost" crashed in the ratings this week, hitting an all-time low for a new episode. ABC's drama about plane crash survivors stranded on a mysterious island drew an estimated 12.8 million viewers Wednesday, according to preliminary figures from Nielsen Media Research. That's well off the peak of more than 20 million for the drama that became an instant sensation when it debuted in September 2004.

ADVERTISEMENT

ABC has worked hard to try to protect a show that helped turn the network's fortunes around, moving it to 10 p.m. EST Wednesday this year to steer clear of Fox's blockbuster "American Idol" and CBS's increasingly strong "Criminal Minds."

After "Lost" fans complained about reruns interrupting the show's serial flow last season, the network tried an experiment: It split the current season in two, airing six episodes before an extended break and then resuming with 16 additional episodes.

The show's Feb. 7 return was heavily promoted and drew nearly 14.5 million viewers. But the bounce didn't last, with the show slumping this week.

Although protected from top-rated "American Idol" in its new time 10 p.m. time slot, "Lost" now has the disadvantage of trying to draw viewers at an hour when fewer people are watching television. This Wednesday,

Valentine's Day put a 7 percent dent in overall TV viewership.

In the show's defense, ABC noted that it beat the competition among the advertiser-favored young adult crowd, drawing 7.3 million viewers age 18 to 49 compared to the 5.8 million that tuned in to CBS' "CSI: New York."

"Lost" also handed ABC nearly 4 million more viewers in the time slot compared to last year, when short-lived drama "Invasion" aired, the network said.

But there's no question that "Lost," once riding big ratings, buzz and cachet, has lost significant ground.

Some fans and critics complain that the story has gotten confusing and unsatisfying. The show, named best drama at the 2005 Emmy Awards, was shut out at the 2006 ceremony.

More on that..

Will 'Lost' ratings plunge doom series? By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

1 hour, 50 minutes ago

The show was smart and intriguingly spiked with supernatural and sci-fi twists. It featured hot new stars who graced glossy magazine covers — until the ratings tumbled. So much for "The X-Files," which enjoyed a nine-year run before misguided plots and a time slot change eroded its appeal. Flash forward to today and you'll find its counterpart in "Lost," another spooky, cerebral, sexy show — which may end up killed off before its time.

"`Lost' is the tragedy of the season," said Marc Berman, TV analyst for Media Week Online as well as a fan aggrieved by what he considers ABC's bungled handling of a favorite show. "They really prematurely put the nail in the coffin. It's too late to save it."

The saga of plane-crash survivors stranded on a dangerous and surreal island once drew an impressive 20 million-plus viewers as it helped raise ABC from ratings purgatory, gained cultural-phenomenon status and won the 2005 Emmy for best drama. But eight episodes into its third season, "Lost" has taken a painful nosedive, with an audience of 14.5 million for its Feb. 7 episode and 12.8 million — its lowest ever — for this week's show.

"Lost" will return for one more season, Berman predicted, and then likely sink from sight. (ABC declined requests for comment.)

Like Fox's "The X-Files," "Lost" has been pelted with viewer complaints (especially on many formerly adoring Web sites) about confusing plots and dangling mysteries — who the ominous "Others" are; whether the survivors are part of an elaborate scientific experiment; what is real, imagined, important or trivial. It has endured scheduling changes that were intended to help but ended up hurting, including a prolonged midseason absence that Berman called "suicide" and a move to 10 p.m. EST Wednesday.

Also like "The X-Files," "Lost" proved that offbeat tales and characters can mean a limited shelf life.

"Whenever you get outside one of the big three franchises — cops, doctors or lawyers — and into the more high-concept shows, they tend to burn bright but burn out faster," said veteran network executive Tom Nunan, now a TV and film producer ("Crash," "The Illusionist").

"Our expectations are higher, they're expected to reach greater milestones in a more original fashion," said Nunan, a follower of the show who believes it still deserves hit status.

"The X-Files" managed to maintain ratings growth into season five and didn't crash until its final year, 2001-02. "Lost" is slumping badly in year three.

"Viewers have become very unhappy with the show because they've left people hanging for too long," Berman said. "They've opened up too many cans of worms and haven't resolved enough issues."

Taking the focus away for long stretches from lead characters including Hurley (Jorge Garcia), Locke (Terry O'Quinn) and Sayid (Naveen Andrews) is another fan grievance, voiced even by those who feel warmly toward "Lost."

"You won't see characters for a bit, then you see them again and you have to recollect what was going on," said Chris Becker, 43, of Newport Beach.

But Becker, who admits to a fondness for science fiction, said he intends to stick with "Lost" to the last: "You're this far into it, you want to see how it ends."

That final chapter should have been years off for a property which, along with "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy," helped ABC (owned by Walt Disney Co.) regain ratings traction and buzz. The network tried to protect "Lost," moving it out of the way this month of returning Fox juggernaut "American Idol" at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

Switching "Lost" to 10 p.m. also created a stronger lead-in for lucrative local evening newscasts, important for ABC and its affiliate stations.

"The networks own a lot of affiliates. Strategically, as a business plan it's a little more clever than some people are giving it credit for," said Nunan, who was president of the now-defunct UPN network and worked at ABC, Fox and NBC.

But he dings ABC for failing to provide a strong lead-in for "Lost," which now follows either its own reruns or sitcoms. Another challenge: There's a smaller pool of viewers available during the 10 p.m. time slot than earlier in prime-time.

The series' producers said earlier this year they don't want to outstay their welcome, as they believe "The X-Files" did, and that they were talking with ABC about setting an end date for "Lost."

Certainly, however, no one had anything immediate in mind.

I think Valentine's Day probably had something to do with it, maybe.

THey might want to consider moving it back to 9 PM. I've personally enjoyed the last two episodes more than the rest of the season.

And ending it after Season 4 is not be so bad at all if the writers have some lead time. You can tell they ttry to stretch out and stall their storyline, and this would let them just get to all the good stuff.

Ok, so I finally got caught up on the previous 3 episodes. I admit, season 3 isn't as good as the previous 2 seasons thus far, but that last episodes was damn good.

Blizzard on the North east may have played a role too.

I never lost faith. Still really enjoy the show.

I don't get where all the hate is coming from. Season 2 - maybe a little, but this season has been pretty good to me.

Sign in to follow this