TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

When Abbadon showed up and we hadn't seen his face yet, I thought it might be time-travely Walt, because of the way he called him "Mr. Locke."

I was puzzled as to why Richard freaked when Locke chose the knife as a child, but later when Ben and Locke had that little 'I'm not like you' aside, it struck me that the knife isn't Locke's...it's Ben's. Locke is not the one who will brandish the sword and kill for the sake of the island. The knife belongs to Ben...he is the blunt instrument of death. Locke is a survivor, maybe even a savior.

I really think it's the reincarnation thing.

It's a bit weird that in last weeks episode Hurley tells Jack that Aaron wasn't meant to be raised by him but this week he's away from Claire and apparently "exactly where he should be."

Or maybe it's just Charlie's psycho jealousy over Claire and the baby.

When Abbadon showed up and we hadn't seen his face yet, I thought it might be time-travely Walt, because of the way he called him "Mr. Locke."

I was puzzled as to why Richard freaked when Locke chose the knife as a child, but later when Ben and Locke had that little 'I'm not like you' aside, it struck me that the knife isn't Locke's...it's Ben's. Locke is not the one who will brandish the sword and kill for the sake of the island. The knife belongs to Ben...he is the blunt instrument of death. Locke is a survivor, maybe even a savior.

I think Metal Maniac came closest to nailing it with his point that Richard clearly wanted Locke to pick up the Book of Law because it would be a sign of divinity and somebody yearning to lead people towards peace. Instead he picked the knife which symbolized his anger and possibly violent future.

It also occurred to me that, if Jacob is able to manipulate events off-island (not a stretch), then maybe Locke's paralysis was caused, in a way, by Jacob, to force Locke into following the path of a thinker, a pacifist, and not the path of violence. Hard to stomp things when you're in a wheelchair.

Yes, of course, he eventually was able to walk again, but I don't think Jacob would have been punishing him or anything...just trying to teach him, show him the way.

I remember in season one that I speculated that Jacob (or the island) took away Locke's legs so that Boone would have to go into the plane and be the sacrifice. Makes more sense now when I think about it.

I'm not sure how many events off-island we can chalk up to Jacob. Claire not being able to find a pen and Michael not being able to kill himself are the only two. Sure, we could stretch things out and say "Jacob caused the car crash that stopped Jack from killing himself" but I think that would just open a can of worms.

I think Metal Maniac came closest to nailing it with his point that Richard clearly wanted Locke to pick up the Book of Law because it would be a sign of divinity and somebody yearning to lead people towards peace. Instead he picked the knife which symbolized his anger and possibly violent future.

Yeah but he asked him what items already belong to him. That goes right along with the Dhali Lama thing.

The other one just seems to be reading too much into it.

So re-reading the scripts for this episode I think the device attatched to Keamy is linked to his pulse and in turn relates to some kind of weapon because when Captain Gault points the gun at Keamy he taps the device and says not to shoot meaning if Keamy bites it the device activates whatever weapons it's attatched to.

This episode just solidified that Jacob or the island itself prevents the death of those who are needed to serve his/its purpose. Thinking back about Michael not being able to be killed, Locke surviving that long fall, etc., people die when they are no longer needed, not until.

Along that same vein, Eko stared down the smoke monster and was kept alive to keep the button pressed but after he failed and was no longer needed then it was the end of him.

I wonder why the smoke monster dragged Locke off early on in Season 1, though. We're probably supposed to forget that... or maybe not because it pretty much just tosses around and destroys what it wants to kill.

Can someone remind me who Richard and Abbadon are? There have been a couple dozen too many random supporting characters on this show and I'm losing track of them.

Having said that, though, and it contradicts what I just said: I presumed at the time that it was somehow noting the pulse of his heart, and would trigger something drastic if/when his heart stopped. Kind of like a bomb that would be triggered by his death.

I think you're right on the money with that one. Notice how he raised his arms, when the Captain had the gun on him, to reveal the device. As if to say, kill me, and you die too.

Yeah, that was my take on it too.

"David Chase set a great example when he went off to Paris after 'The Sopranos' ending, which is great because all these people are going to be asking, 'What does it mean? What is it?' " he said. "The fact that there's no one really around to answer that question, it forces people to come up with what they think it means."

So it'll be a mostly really good finale except with an absolutely dumbfuck inexplicable last scene which will piss everyone off for no good reason? Thanks, assholes.

Richard is the member of the Others who's been on the island longer than Ben. He sort of "recruited" Ben as a child when he ran into him in the jungle when Ben was chasing the ghost of his mom. He also recruited Juliette to come to the island as part of Mittelos (or whatever), the lab/science company. Last season, when Ben told Locke he had to kill his father, Richard is the one who gave Locke the idea to bring Sawyer in to do the job, telling Locke that "some of us (Others) want a change," apparently hinting at getting rid of Ben as their leader.

Abaddon appeared in the first episode this season questioning Hurley if the remaining survivors were still alive on the island. I think he had at least one more appearance before last night's episode, too, but I'm drawing a blank.

Abaddon is also the one who put together the team of people (I don't remember all their names other than Miles), who initally got picked to fly to the island to seek out Ben on the island.

Damn you Mik! Beat me to it!

"David Chase set a great example when he went off to Paris after 'The Sopranos' ending, which is great because all these people are going to be asking, 'What does it mean? What is it?' " he said. "The fact that there's no one really around to answer that question, it forces people to come up with what they think it means."

So it'll be a mostly really good finale except with an absolutely dumbfuck inexplicable last scene which will piss everyone off for no good reason? Thanks, assholes.

Wow, way to completely misinterpret that statement there, Jingus..

I know why everyone is saying Claire's dead and its the first thing that I thought, but it just doesn't sit right with me. For one, all the physical interaction she had with Aaron and Sawyer after her "death." Means she's not a ghost but rather a reanimated corpse or a physical manifestation. Which she could be but she woke up groggy and seemingly the same person when she went down, so it just seems odd that the island would animate her dead body and leave in unaware. If it just needed her then why not protect her from dying as it has others? If its just about her delivering a message then what was the point of animating her body when you could have used her ghost? I don't know. She could be dead and there's enough questions and confusion that it can easily fall in line with the island's powers. But it just sits wrong with me.

Part of me is thinking she just has come to listen to the island. She's seen plenty of crazy shit. She was brought here by a psychic. More than a lot of them she had an idea this island was special already. Maybe seeing her dad and having him explain some stuff to her (including possibly the fact that they're not the only family on the island) is enough for her to just say "Ok, I'll play. You win. What do we have to do?"

Aaron being where he belongs with Sawyer, Jack, and Co could just be a miscalculation on the island's part. They may just be trying to get the baby to safety and they trust that Sawyer, Jack and Co will protect him. Meanwhile the violence is likely to be headed towards Ben, Locke, and the cabin. The pilot tossing the satellite phone and Jack believing he wants them to follow could just screw up the island's plans. The pilots gets half a dozen people off the island including the baby and pregnant woman in the midst of some hairy stuff. Claire, Christian, and whoever never get a chance to retrieve Aaron and don't calculate for Sawyer handing the baby over to Kate and she choosing to leave with him. Locke moves the island so the pilot can't return for anyone else and Aaron and the island are separate. Jack and Hurley are getting messages because the baby should be there, and maybe Jack as well with his family.

I don't know. Its Lost.

Wow, way to completely misinterpret that statement there, Jingus..

What? I still hate the last 60 seconds of The Sopranoes with a fiery purple passion. So it makes me a bit grumpy when the creators of this show are implying that their finale will be similar, what with comments like:

When it comes time to air the series finale in 2010, Lindelof said he and Cuse plan to "go into hiding for many, many months" at an "undisclosed location."

...The fact that there's no one really around to answer that question, it forces people to come up with what they think it means.

That does not sound promising. That sounds like they're trying to be more controversial than satisfying with the ending.

Remember Claire's weird ass dream from like season one or two where Locke was awake in the jungle at some like desk? I'm beginning to wonder if that has anything to do with anything now.

It would be just like this show to harken to a throwaway moment from early in the show. Meanwhile the big WTF? moments may go unanswered. Or at least stuff I wonder about.

I just had a crazy thought. A lot of people are speculating that Keamy's increasingly homicidal tendencies are due to the Sickness mentioned by Danielle. What if Desmond gets the same sickness and he is the one to kill Penny... I can see it now. Penny's hiding out in the Adam and Eve cave, Ben manipulates the sick Desmond to go there and carry out Ben's threat to Widmore. Of course Desmond is the only one Penny would trust near her, and bam he kills her, realises what he's done, and kills himself. Voila, his 'n' hers skeletons in the cave.

Interesting theory but (and I know this because I spend my time @ work reading Lost scripts) when they find the bodies in season one Jack says that they show no signs of trauma.

Does the disease even exist? I long ago presumed it was just the insane delusions of a woman who had her child stolen away moments after giving birth by mysterious tormentors who almost seemed like ghosts. An Other plant in their camp like Ethan and Goodwin seems possible and easily would have pushed paranoia, and even if they were too aware of each other to let a stranger integrate himself into their group its still isolation, hopelessness, and terror from an unseen enemy (and possibly evil smoke monster) to breed paranoia and aggressiveness.

None of the plane survivors seem in any way sick (Lock and Jack being the only ones who have acted wildly but both having much story to explain their actions). Desmond seems fine and his partner seemed less sick as frustrated and willing to doom Desmond to save himself. The Others don't seem sick and don't seem in any way concerned about an island illness. And of course Danielle herself does not have the illness she claims to exist.

I've just presumed that Danielle's beliefs and actions can be chalked up to a combination of the Others, smoke monster, island ghosts, stolen infant, and paranoia. All the stuff that the plane survivors dealt with but were strangely capable of dealing with, something the tail survivors showed us was not easy to do if you're not lucky enough to have a hunter, surgeon, soldier, fisherman, half a dozen capable people, a cave for shelter, and ready water supply. Not to mention no children and only a pregnant woman, thus giving the people who like to steal children a reason to wait instead of attacking right away.

It's kind of interesting that Locke chose the knife as a child, but Richard had to really push Locke into killing his father by proxy. Considering both Ben and Locke saw Richard as children, were they both meant to be cultivated, and Ben ultimately chosen because Locke took the knife?

One thing that kept me a little confused about recognizing Richard is that he apparently just doesn't age. He looks the same now as he did when he met Locke and Ben when they were children. Are the original Others supposed to maybe be Black Rock survivors who are kept immortal by Island Magic or something similar?

Richard just not aging seemed to be the explanation, but with all the focus on time travel this season, I'm more inclined to think that's the reason. The only thing against it might be Richard's appearance with longer hair and different clothes when he first met Ben last season.

Remember Claire's weird ass dream from like season one or two where Locke was awake in the jungle at some like desk? I'm beginning to wonder if that has anything to do with anything now.

I thought of that too. Didn't Locke also have black eyes? Really weird. Another similar thing left unanswered was the fact that Claire was having strange dreams about the Black Rock before anyone even knew what it was. That was from her diary, read after she was kidnapped.

Richard just not aging seemed to be the explanation, but with all the focus on time travel this season, I'm more inclined to think that's the reason. The only thing against it might be Richard's appearance with longer hair and different clothes when he first met Ben last season.

I thought of that too. Didn't Locke also have black eyes? Really weird. Another similar thing left unanswered was the fact that Claire was having strange dreams about the Black Rock before anyone even knew what it was. That was from her diary, read after she was kidnapped.

Think one was was white and one was black, as a reference to the Dark and Light side of the island, that Locke had mentioned previously. Similar with him playing Backgammon with Walt.

The only thing against it might be Richard's appearance with longer hair and different clothes when he first met Ben last season.

Remember that Friendly and the others used theatrics and disguises when they appeared to people, though. Richard could have been using a similar tactic.

One thing that kept me a little confused about recognizing Richard is that he apparently just doesn't age. He looks the same now as he did when he met Locke and Ben when they were children. Are the original Others supposed to maybe be Black Rock survivors who are kept immortal by Island Magic or something similar?

I have a feeling that Richard is another one of Jacob's reanimations which is why he never seems to age.

The only thing against it might be Richard's appearance with longer hair and different clothes when he first met Ben last season.

Remember that Friendly and the others used theatrics and disguises when they appeared to people, though. Richard could have been using a similar tactic.

Friendly used a fake beard. Richard has just been Richard when we've seen him in past flashbacks, save the long hair when Ben was young. Either he's immortal/ages slowly or he can time-travel.

Friendly used a fake beard. Richard has just been Richard when we've seen him in past flashbacks, save the long hair when Ben was young. Either he's immortal/ages slowly or he can time-travel.

That's not quite what I meant. I meant that the "longer hair and different clothes" could be explained by a slight disguise he was using at the time. I am aware that he either does not age or travels through time.

Sign in to follow this