TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

Still doesn't fit, though. For Daniel, only a couple days at most had gone by in between the freighter blowing up and him meeting Desmond at the hatch in the past. So why does Desmond not remember it until three years after he gets off the island?

Because Daniel didn't "implant" the memory in Desmond until Desmond was off the island.

I really thought Charlotte was going to be okay when she mentioned remembering Daniel, and they would have this dramatic... "I'm your constant." moment and everything would be fine. Daniel didn't seem to be okay until he found out Desmond was his, and I just thought it was going to be one of those again.

Still doesn't fit, though. For Daniel, only a couple days at most had gone by in between the freighter blowing up and him meeting Desmond at the hatch in the past. So why does Desmond not remember it until three years after he gets off the island?

Because Daniel didn't "implant" the memory in Desmond until Desmond was off the island.

But... how? How does that work? I don't understand what kind of sense that's supposed to make. Like I said, it'd be different if Desmond had remembered it just shortly after they left the island, since in Daniel's timeline it was only several hours later that he encountered Desmond at the hatch. Meanwhile, Des doesn't remember anything for three years, until the plot requires him to meet Daniel's mom at the same time as the othre bunch? Just sounds like a plot contrivance to keep the story moving, pure & simple.

You have to think of it in terms of "current time Desmond" and "past Desmond". By the time Daniel talks to "past Desmond", "current Desmond" has progressed past the point where Daniel & Desmond would have originally met on the island (Daniel hadn't time jumped back yet to meet him), so that's why he wouldn't have remembered. He essentially has a new memory created of the meeting, but since it is 3 years later in Desmond's time, that's when he is able to remember it.

At least, that's how I'm rationalizing it.

Wonder how long till we see Claire again. People think she died when New Othertown got blown up, but if that were the case the 815ers could still see and interact with her. Miles acts like she's done for...so I dunno about that one

You have to think of it in terms of "current time Desmond" and "past Desmond". By the time Daniel talks to "past Desmond", "current Desmond" has progressed past the point where Daniel & Desmond would have originally met on the island (Daniel hadn't time jumped back yet to meet him), so that's why he wouldn't have remembered. He essentially has a new memory created of the meeting, but since it is 3 years later in Desmond's time, that's when he is able to remember it.

At least, that's how I'm rationalizing it.

...no, that still makes absolutely no sense. My point is, why does Desmond only remember it three years later? It hasn't been three years for Daniel. If Daniel and Desmond's space-time continuums are somehow linked, so that their past meeting has happened for Desmond only after it happens for Daniel, then Desmond should've had that dream shortly after he left the island.

Also, what about when Desmond was time-skipping and talked to Past Daniel back at Oxford? Daniel apparently remembered all that shit later, and recognized Desmond upon first seeing him.

I'm still wondering that by the time Jack and the gang come back...will 3 years have passed on the island? Or would the island have just made a 3 year jump...meaning they've only been gone a week

Fucking Time travel.

I need Doc Brown's chalkboard drawing so I can understand why my Mom is now married to Biff Tannon.

If you are referring to the chalkboard from part 2 there is a major flaw in his theory. Old Bif leaves from the timeline to travel back and give young Bif the book...and then somehow is allowed to return to the SAME TIMELINE??? and drop the car off so that Marty and Doc can get into it? Bullshit.

But since Old Biff's actions were ultimately undone by Doc & Marty back in 1955 after they saw the Alternate 1985, there wouldn't have been an alternate 2015 for Old Biff to find, and...

...y'know what, fuck it. Time travel story = guaranteed inevitable plot holes, period. And there's so many plot holes on Lost in general that we really shouldn't run ourselves ragged trying to justify them all.

Wonder how long till we see Claire again. People think she died when New Othertown got blown up, but if that were the case the 815ers could still see and interact with her. Miles acts like she's done for...so I dunno about that one

She was carried into another house by Sawyer and put in a back room, then walked out a few minutes with nigh a scratch on her pretty Aussie head. Miles was like "wtf?" and kept staring at her as they trekked through the jungle. I mean, she is Christian's kid too, so maybe if Jack gets killed he'll still be running 'round the island in a similar way.

Edit: ...and originally in Back To The Future 2, Biff was to be shown falling over and fading out of existence by some trashcans a few moments after exiting the car in the original 2015. Sadly, there is still an issue with that explanation as well. I would think that the entire future would have changed as one big ripple effect, not just letting one person disappear. BUT, that would have created all kinds of wacky problems and I don't think the filmmakers were ready to deal with all of that.

I think all the things that are happening, we have to ssume have already happened. Daniel said you cannot change the future except for Desmond because the time rules do not apply to him for whatever reason that i'm sure will be explained. Charlotte didn't remember ever being on the island maybe due to some amnesia or something. Earlier in the series her and Miles had a conversation in which he asked her why she wanted to get off the island so bad when she spent her whole life trying to get back there. Charlotte asked him what he meant by that, and he said "Yea, what do I mean by that?". I think something happened to Charlotte that made her lose those island memories including Daniel visiting her in the past. On top of that, notw that Daniel knows she dies, he will try again to convince her when he sees her in the past...which will always fail because everything happens for a reason.

They took Emilie de Ravin off contract this season but they said she will be next season.

But... how? How does that work? I don't understand what kind of sense that's supposed to make. Like I said, it'd be different if Desmond had remembered it just shortly after they left the island, since in Daniel's timeline it was only several hours later that he encountered Desmond at the hatch. Meanwhile, Des doesn't remember anything for three years, until the plot requires him to meet Daniel's mom at the same time as the othre bunch? Just sounds like a plot contrivance to keep the story moving, pure & simple.

It's been said that time on the island moves at a much slower rate (I've heard 1/64 of real time, that and the Hanso Foundation's "Life Extension Project"). Therefore even if Daniel JUST told Hatch Desmond about their issues on the island, 3-Years-Later Desmond doesn't remember it until, well, 3 years later.. as time moves faster outside of the Island's "bubble."

At SDCC 2006, When prompted to estimate how many "days" the entire series will encompass, Damon Lindelof notes that "you're making the basic assumption that they've been there as long as they think they've been there."

As for Charlotte remembering Daniel before he goes back in time and warns her, I have to believe that has something to do with her time-sickness. Her mind is clearly not in the timeframe that her body is for parts of this, given the way she acts or speaks, so it's not out of the realms of science fiction to theorize that her mind has been to all sorts of places in space and time and has experienced the events that lead to the warning.

Wait? What's the theory about the 4-toed statue? That it encased the bomb?

As for time on the island. Wasn't there some sort of time discrepancy last season? Didn't the captain wash up on shore way before he was killed on the freighter?

So many plot holes. Earlier it was mentioned they should explain who Richard and the Dharma were exactly, well what about all the Others?

So Charlie drowning won over Desmond's call in that Lost tournament they have on their website. I call bullshit.

Bizarre. I guess people really liked the annoying Hobbit? :P

Speaking of that event.. I still am holding out hope that we get a Mikhail appearance this season. Guy is a modern Rasputin and I swear it looked like he swam away before the grenade went off.

So Charlie drowning won over Desmond's call in that Lost tournament they have on their website. I call bullshit.

Speaking of that event.. I still am holding out hope that we get a Mikhail appearance this season. Guy is a modern Rasputin and I swear it looked like he swam away before the grenade went off.

even if he is dead, still a chance at seeing him in a time skip

Never heard this. Given the references in S1 to the concrete below the Swan, though, I'd say it's a given that that is where Jughead is buried.

As for time on the island. Wasn't there some sort of time discrepancy last season? Didn't the captain wash up on shore way before he was killed on the freighter?

Exactly.

So many plot holes. Earlier it was mentioned they should explain who Richard and the Dharma were exactly, well what about all the Others?

Just because something is a slow burn and isn't revealed immediately, doesn't mean it's a plot hole. They're already giving us bits and pieces of who the original Others were - ie: Richard and his troops. Clearly Dharma arrives sometime after this and somehow takes over for their own experiments - and it's been said that they were funded in part by Widmore (which would be the reason why Dharma knows about the Island to begin with). Dharma encounters the Others/Hostiles while doing their thing. Resulting in Ben taking over, initiating the purge, and so on. All we're really missing is who exactly Richard and his friends were originally working for back in 1954 - and how they knew about or came to be on the island

The doctor washed up on shore 3 days before he was killed.

Also, the rocket that Faraday had fired from the freighter arriving a few minutes later than it should've - even after Zoe Bell had said it had reached it's target.

It's been said that time on the island moves at a much slower rate (I've heard 1/64 of real time

Yeah, but the O6's rescue would tend to put a dent in that theory. They were on the island for, what, four months? By that count, they would've been missing out of the real world for twenty-one years. However, no weird timeframe whatsoever has been mentioned in terms of how long it was between the plane crash and the O6 popping up. One must assume that it was just a few months for the rest of the world as well. And for Daniel's meeting Past Desmond to sync up with Present Desmond's dream, the ratio would have to be something more like 1/1000 of real time, which isn't possible within realm of the stuff we've already seen.

Yeah, there seems to be a time discrepency on and near the island itself. Recall Daniel's early experiments with the rocket, showing that it took way too long for it to get from the ship to the island. But none of these discrepencies are consistent. Can we all just face it that the writers of Lost are regular humans who might make some bullshit up?

even if he is dead, still a chance at seeing him in a time skip

Yah that's all we'll get if it does happen. I just remembered Lindelof confirming that he's dead in one of the tracks on season 3's blurays.

Never heard this. Given the references in S1 to the concrete below the Swan, though, I'd say it's a given that that is where Jughead is buried.

Exactly.

Just because something is a slow burn and isn't revealed immediately, doesn't mean it's a plot hole. They're already giving us bits and pieces of who the original Others were - ie: Richard and his troops. Clearly Dharma arrives sometime after this and somehow takes over for their own experiments - and it's been said that they were funded in part by Widmore (which would be the reason why Dharma knows about the Island to begin with). Dharma encounters the Others/Hostiles while doing their thing. Resulting in Ben taking over, initiating the purge, and so on. All we're really missing is who exactly Richard and his friends were originally working for back in 1954 - and how they knew about or came to be on the island

Wait wait. I don't think Richard and his guys were troops. I remember him talking about how the soldiers wouldn't leave so they had to kill them. I assume they took their stuff and they've been there a lot longer than when Locke came upon them.

Sign in to follow this