TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

It's been said that time on the island moves at a much slower rate (I've heard 1/64 of real time

Yeah, but the O6's rescue would tend to put a dent in that theory. They were on the island for, what, four months? By that count, they would've been missing out of the real world for twenty-one years. However, no weird timeframe whatsoever has been mentioned in terms of how long it was between the plane crash and the O6 popping up. One must assume that it was just a few months for the rest of the world as well. And for Daniel's meeting Past Desmond to sync up with Present Desmond's dream, the ratio would have to be something more like 1/1000 of real time, which isn't possible within realm of the stuff we've already seen.

Yeah, there seems to be a time discrepency on and near the island itself. Recall Daniel's early experiments with the rocket, showing that it took way too long for it to get from the ship to the island. But none of these discrepencies are consistent. Can we all just face it that the writers of Lost are regular humans who might make some bullshit up?

I'm not saying that 1/64 is accurate. It's just a number a I heard. You can't deny, however, that time moves in different intervals on the island than it does off.. whether that's faster, or slower, or a mix of both (which is what I tend to believe) - all the while regular time goes along at it's regular pace outside of the bubble. I thought that was pretty well established given the events in Season 4 as well as some of the weird stuff that happens before that season - food drops, insanely quick weather changes, etc..

Wait? What's the theory about the 4-toed statue? That it encased the bomb?

Never heard this. Given the references in S1 to the concrete below the Swan, though, I'd say it's a given that that is where Jughead is buried.

As for time on the island. Wasn't there some sort of time discrepancy last season? Didn't the captain wash up on shore way before he was killed on the freighter?

Exactly.

So many plot holes. Earlier it was mentioned they should explain who Richard and the Dharma were exactly, well what about all the Others?

Just because something is a slow burn and isn't revealed immediately, doesn't mean it's a plot hole. They're already giving us bits and pieces of who the original Others were - ie: Richard and his troops. Clearly Dharma arrives sometime after this and somehow takes over for their own experiments - and it's been said that they were funded in part by Widmore (which would be the reason why Dharma knows about the Island to begin with). Dharma encounters the Others/Hostiles while doing their thing. Resulting in Ben taking over, initiating the purge, and so on. All we're really missing is who exactly Richard and his friends were originally working for back in 1954 - and how they knew about or came to be on the island

Wait wait. I don't think Richard and his guys were troops. I remember him talking about how the soldiers wouldn't leave so they had to kill them. I assume they took their stuff and they've been there a lot longer than when Locke came upon them.

Yeah no doubt. I just said troops for lack of a better term while I was typing. :)

I'm willing to bet all those supposed "Plot Holes" will be filled by the end of the series. I have yet to see any real major plot holes to date on this show. That's what makes it so great, unlike Heroes which has a billion fucked up plotholes and it kinda ruined the show a bit for me.

I still believe LOST is one of top 3 rated programs when it comes to DVR, Tivo, etc.

Though it does make me wonder just how bullet proof this show is. I know it's "guaranteed" to finish with no episodes thanks to the contract the creators signed.

Time travel is not for everyone. I'm not surprised the ratings are falling. A lot of simpletons can't keep up. I read before the season that it will all be rewarded by the middle to end of the season.

Charlie dying is a top moment for me. I love that.

I'm not at all surprised that the show is losing some viewers. It's pretty much an entirely different show than it was when most of these people started watching, and is now largely catering to the sort of hardcore fans that would bother going online and reading up on various theories. My interest is at an all-time high, and that's all that really matters to me.

I can't see why people would quit on this show now of all times. Okay, I can SEE it what with the time travel stuff being a bit wonky but the big picture is finally starting to come together.

My favorite moment on the show is, was and likely will always be Locke crying at the hatch and then the light coming on inside.

Lost moments that turn me into a bitch begin and end with Sun and Jin finding each other again after the raft blows up. I could not stop crying.

Which will pretty much be the exact opposite of what happens when they reunite either this or next season.

Sun: JIN!!! I thought you were dead!!!!

Jin: WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE WOMAN!?

I can't see why people would quit on this show now of all times. Okay, I can SEE it what with the time travel stuff being a bit wonky but the big picture is finally starting to come together.

Same here. Season 3 would've been the time for me to give up, I'm glad I didn't though. The time travel stuff should calm down, now, though as Locke has spun the wheel properly, etc. etc.

My favorite moments, aside from those mentioned, have been when Sawyer snaps and just fuckin' murders a bad guy. Like the fake-beard Other whose name I forget, or Locke's dad. Part of me always finds it badass when a hero just unexpectedly kills a villain who had it coming.

Still one of my favorites, even more so now when looking back on the series as a whole.

Good call. That's some good stuff. Sayid showing Sawyer that he's the bigger man....Charlie still on the junk...Shannon still a slut. I miss the old days.

I cried when Sayid and Shannon were walking up the beach in season 1 and Jack had to go and tell them that Boone died.

I didn't even really like Boone that much. I don't know why it got me so bad.

Couple of topics I wanted to comment on.

On the subject of how Faraday's warning was remembered by Desmond despite the time discrepancies: I think it's important to note that the wheel was turned after Desmond got away from the island, and before Faraday made his warning. That could've affected things, I think.

On the subject of Rousseau not remembering Jin: I think it's important to remember here that Danielle had just been shipwrecked, found a bizarre radio signal, encountered a monster, saw her friend get pulled into a hole (without his arm), and then later found that her friends were all "sick" and was forced to shoot them all, even the father of her child. Yes, a Korean man showing up out of the blue then vanishing was pretty damned weird too, but when you add all that stuff together, then consider that she was alone on that island for 16 years and she's more then a little bit crazy, I can see why she wouldn't remember/recognize Jin.

On the statue: Someone was asking about it, and I don't think anyone gave him an answer...I dunno if this is the "accepted" theory, but I think that the statue was built by the original inhabitants of the island (I believe Richard himself is a descendant of these people), who also built things like the wheel and anything that we've seen that's stone and has hieroglyphs on it. I think that we'll find out that these people only had 4 toes, and personally, I also think that this island will be revealed to essentially be Atlantis: A land of high technology that somehow vanished. Like, I think they'll explain that ancient stories of the island were blown up into the myth of the continent of Atlantis.

Also, I was thinking...Ben mentioned that Whidmore changed the rules when he had Alex killed...I wonder if those rules are the same "rules" of time that Desmond is able to break? And if, by saying this, Ben was essentially saying that Whidmore had changed the timestream?

I mean, just because Desmond is the only person we currently know of who can break the rules, I don't think that means he's the only person on earth who can. In fact, since he seemed to gain this ability from a massive energy discharge on the island, I wonder if anyone else will gain this ability so that they can alter the past/future? I think it might happen with some of the people still on the island, what with Locke turning the wheel and such.

I'm not at all surprised that the show is losing some viewers. It's pretty much an entirely different show than it was when most of these people started watching, and is now largely catering to the sort of hardcore fans that would bother going online and reading up on various theories. My interest is at an all-time high, and that's all that really matters to me.

Agree on the first part. A couple days ago I watched Walkabout and the first Sayid centered episode. The show's nothing like it used to be. I understand that it has to evolve, but much of the fun is gone now

I'm trying to remember where my wife came in actually. The first episode she watched was when the hatch exploded and Ben was revealed to be the leader of the Others and he took those prisoners. That was the season 2 finale correct?

The season 1 finale was when the Others kidnapped Walt right? That's another thing, we still don't know what they did with Walt.

So Season 3.....I keep drawing a blank on what happened during Season 3 and what the finale was. I think my wife missed the beginning of season 3 then started watching hardcore sometime in the middle. So yeah, she missed a ton.

Drawing a blank on the first flash forward?

Landmark episode right there.

Also my favorite finale, with Charlie's death and the awesome beach scene complete with Hurley running over Others and Sawyer just fucking smoking Mr. Friendly with no remorse.

Agree on the first part. A couple days ago I watched Walkabout and the first Sayid centered episode. The show's nothing like it used to be. I understand that it has to evolve, but much of the fun is gone now

Dunno how you can say that. This show is more fun now than it's ever been.

Four-toed statues. Time traveling capabilities. Smoke monsters. Immortal men. Temples with hyroglyphics (sp?). I hope you all liked Indiana Jones: kingdom of the crystal skull.

I think Locke will actually die, he'll just be ressurected and end up in the cabin/ on the island with the others like Jack's dad, Jacob etc.

I think it should be treated that Faraday/ Desmond's interaction was just to move the plot along, and that all the other time travel stuff should be treated in a standard fashion. At the strongest you can argue "constant" BS as to why it happend then, and that they have a special bond. Same way when they were going back and forward with Desmonds time travel in the previous season, it seemed Faraday only remembered when he was reading his journal and he read that Desmond was his constant.

I guess you could argue that Russo didn't know Jin because she's crazy/ it happend 16 years ago twice for about an hour max. Or that all asians look the same.

Dunno how you can say that. This show is more fun now than it's ever been.

It's more fun than it's ever been for me as well. I hated watching during season 2 because there were just too many questions and mysteries and not enough answers or revelations. Now it's all starting to make sense and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

I guess you could argue that Russo didn't know Jin because she's crazy/ it happend 16 years ago twice for about an hour max. Or that all asians look the same.

That and by the time Jin went back in time to meet her.. she was already dead in the present. Don't know why people can't get past that one..

Why does that matter? They haven't even tried to introduce that as one of their standard rules of time travel. All we know is that Daniel and Desmond have some kind of magical connection which somehow let Des remember meeting Dan years after it happened. That's the only time the show has ever played around with anything like that. In comparison, Richard knew that he'd already met Locke in the past when he gave him the compass. And Charlotte remembered Daniel from when she was a kid, when he hasn't travelled back to that time yet. So can we lay to rest this "hasn't happened yet in the past cuz it hasn't happened yet now" theory? They only did something even resembling that the one time when they needed a reason for Desmond and Penny to meet back up with everyone else again. It wouldn't have seemed plausible for even Ben to find them on their yacht when Widmore assumably had already tried and failed to locate them, so the writers needed Des and Pen to somehow hook back up with the rest of the gang another way. Thus, the mystical dream of Desmond suddenly remembering something from years earlier. Kinda like all those magical pre-signed contracts that Mick Foley kept pulling out of his ass to alter things even after he'd been fired as commissioner. It was just a shortcut tailored to the needs of the plot, every other example of time travel on the show has specifically and explicitly not been handled under the same rules.

Sign in to follow this