TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

...damn.

I knew that was gonna be a good episode but jesus, that was a major step foward. "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" might be the one of the best twists in this show. I really thought they were all throwaway characters that would be killed off, especially after Ben shot Ceaser, but nice to see them having a purpose.

And yes, John "Baddest Motherfucker on the Planet" Locke has officially arrived.

I'm glad Lost have a guaranteed final season because the latest ratings would put it in serious danger of cancellation (8 million) which is amazing to think considering two or three seasons ago it was getting 20-25 million viewers

I think it was the time travel element. It just got too confusing for people. Time travel absolutely ruined heroes for me, even though Lost isn't as bad as that, I think people have just given up trying to follow it.

It's been going head to head with AI, which is suicide for any other show. The fact that they've been able to maintain a core of 8 million is a sign that they are safe as pees in a pod.

I agree it has tough competition, but you don't lose 2/3 of your audience, just because you're going against AI. I can't think it's a coincidence Lost lost so many viewers as soon as it got a lot more complicated.

I think it's safe because it makes a lot of money in other ways, dvds and merchandise, but it's unfortunate how far it's fallen. It's still great television, and the stuff with Locke and Ben is great, but it's lost a lot of the mainstream appeal it had and is now just another overtly complicated sci fi show.

Yeah but everyone knew it was going there, and 8 million week in week out is a solid fanbase. You had to expect more and more people jumping off the ship as things got more and more heavy, and it hasn't been that bad considering how far off the deep end they've jumped the last two season. If you consider how many people tuned in on the idea of a plane crashing on a desert island, and how far from that central theme the show has gone, it's amazing they've been able to hold an audience at all.

I was telling my friend he should watch it, and he said "Yeah I like the idea of people trying to survive on a deserted island." and all I could say was "well forget it then, because the shows not about that anymore.". It's come so far from where it started you have to be overly dedicated to this show to stay into it. And to have 8 many people as dedicated as you have to be to watch this show can only be considered a good thing. It's not the 18 million that were around for the premier but if it stayed that strong John Locke would have a shot in the 2012 election.

And for anyone who cares, the rest of the episodes for the season, titles and the characters they'll focus on. Spoilers of course...

April 15th, Episode 13: Some Like it Hoth. Featured character: Miles.

April 22nd, Episode 13.5: CLIP SHOW: The Story of the Oceanic 6.

April 29th, Episode 14: The Variable, (100th Episode). Featured characters: Daniel & Desmond.

May 6th, Episode 15: Follow the Leader. Featured character: Richard.

May 13th, Episodes 16 & 17: The Incident - Parts 1 & 2, (Season 5 Finale). Featured character: Jacob.

Now let's make sure we all don't jizz at once. :headbang:

More Miles backstory, probably the most interesting addition to this show with his sixth sense and how that can work on the island. A lot of dead people, a lot of people who should be dead but aren't, should be good stuff.

I hear in terms of important this episode is up there with every other episode this season. So anyone expecting a breather this week, forget it.

Thinking about it and considering we were seeing dead people alive and well in season 1, it's really not that far off for this show. Everyone accepted Locke being able to magically walk again but Miles being able to communicate with the dead is just absurd? Not totally fair.

And the hell this was filler! It may of not been as heavy-handed as other episodes, but learning that Miles, Faraday and Charolette all have parents who've been on the Island at some point or another, learning Whidmore DID fake the plane crash, finding out that the people on the Island currently aren't working for him like first thought, more "what lies in the shadow of the statue" awesomeness, further explained a bit, and more hints to Dharma not being completely honest about their intentions. They snuck a lot of shit in that episode.

And who didn't love Hurley re-writing Star Wars? Classic.

We already have timetravel, resurrections, etc etc, I could do without speaking to the dead as well. What next, a guy who can fly?

Speaking of bizarre powers from the castaways... what happened to Desmond's power to see the future? He's obviously not done it for a while now, but did they ever show how those powers ended?

Desmonds consciousness was sent back in time when he turned the fail-safe key. He can re-live events that have happened but as far as we can tell is unable to change anything, despite being aware that he's done it all before. Technically, Desmond has lived through his experience leading up to coming to the island twice. It's not really a power so much as an unfortunate result of what he did at the Swan.

So the show ends with everyone getting back to their timeline, and off the island. Hurley goes to rent Empire Strikes Back and sees his version has been filmed.

LOST

And the hell this was filler! It may of not been as heavy-handed as other episodes, but learning that Miles, Faraday and Charolette all have parents who've been on the Island at some point or another, learning Whidmore DID fake the plane crash, finding out that the people on the Island currently aren't working for him like first thought

We're not actually sure that Widmore faked the plane crash. Felix was delivering pictures to Widmore of the empty graves and the purchase order for the plane. These pictures are presumably the same pictures Mr. Friendly showed Michael. Could Mr. Friendly have killed Felix and taken the pictures, so Widmore would not be 100% sure that it was indeed Ben?

As for the other team, they could be working for Eloise. Given the fact that we know that Ben, Widmore, & Eloise were all in leadership roles on the island, there probably was a power struggle between them. Eloise lost out first, got banished (as she was not ever mentioned in the past week's episode flashback), then Widmore, then ultimately Ben. All 3 want to protect the island, but still want to use it for themselves. The big "war" everyone is speaking of, is the final struggle when Widmore, Ben, & Eloise ALL return to what they claim as theirs.

Follow this train of thought.

Horace has Miles go pick up the body, then return to the barracks. Then he has Miles turn around and take the body to Chang at the Orchid. Its just stupid. He should have told Miles to take the package directly to Orchid to begin with. The only reason to return to the barracks is for writers to get Hugo involved, so Miles is forced to spill his lame-o daddy issues to the audience.

Lazy writing. Horrible episode.

Maybe since Horace is the leader of the Dharma he was still coming up with the plan to bring it to Chang while Miles was picking it up? You have a team of workers building something for you and something causes a filling in there head to shoot through their skull and kill them, that's something you would cover up and take care of as quick as possible if you're running the show. It's easy to assume they were responding as soon as possible without a real game plan on what to do, and in terms of lazy writing it really wasn't that bad at all.

Eloise didn't seem to take Ben seriously, she didn't view him as a threat like Whidmore always appears to. I don't see her being involved in the same play for the island as Ben or Whidmore, but more of a mother figure who's doing what's right for the Island despite them, and seemingly without concern for them. The man delivering purchase orders and pictures of empty graves could be interpreted as surveillance but I thought it was confirming Whidmore had carried it out and what was being delivered to him was simply the corresponding paper work to the giant forgery. I can see her being responsible for it if it's not Whidmore or Ben who's supposed to lead but Locke, and he's supposed to lead the people who crashed with him as the new "others". Jack had to bring Locke's dead body in the place of his father because eventually Jack will have to have the faith to trust Locke in a way he was never able to with Christian.

Of course it could of just been Ben's work, the man was killed because Ben knew he had that information. Thinking back on it I guess it was a little more open to interpretation than I first thought. But still, the importance of the freighter team being Island inhabitant descendants, what leads to them leaving the Island in the first place, and the fact that parental issues have been a theme of this show for almost every character since day one, made this far from a horrible episode. It touched on a little bit of everything and showed us Miles is in the same boat as the other characters. It was a nice way to not be overwhelmed for a 2nd week in a row without ditching the amount of progression we've been seeing.

My mom's watching some Nora Roberts Lifetime movie right now, and it features Emilie de Ravin in a starring role. That can't be what she missed season 5 for.

I'm pretty sure she's starring on CBS's "Harpers Island".

Horace has Miles go pick up the body, then return to the barracks. Then he has Miles turn around and take the body to Chang at the Orchid. Its just stupid. He should have told Miles to take the package directly to Orchid to begin with. The only reason to return to the barracks is for writers to get Hugo involved, so Miles is forced to spill his lame-o daddy issues to the audience.

What annoys me is Miles TELLING us that he discovered Pierre was his Father. You'd think maybe we'd, I dunno, see the scene. Maybe get an example of being shown a turning point in a characters life.

Lost goes from brilliant to dreadful a lot.

Whenever he did discover he was his father, he didn't care enough to do anything about it or share it with anyone until that point. Him learning about his father isn't the important part, it's what he comes to do with that information. He wasn't telling us, he was telling Hurley, and it's not a stretch to assume he had internalized the discovery until then.

Clip show tonight, supposed to give us a different view of the Oceanic 6, whatever the hell that means. I don't mind the breather considering the last 3 episodes look destined to be some of the heaviest we've seen.

Whenever he did discover he was his father, he didn't care enough to do anything about it or share it with anyone until that point. Him learning about his father isn't the important part, it's what he comes to do with that information. He wasn't telling us, he was telling Hurley, and it's not a stretch to assume he had internalized the discovery until then.

It was our first discovery too, so the information was intended for us AND Hurley. I'm just saying they could've shown us before Miles told Hurley. Have a quick flashback. Then when Miles tells Hurley, it's not a revelation so much as Miles externalising it.

True, but it's supposed to be a suspenseful show and of course is gonna follow the same generic formula most TV shows like it do. LOST is all about the big moment before the commercial break, so even if you consider it lazy at least it's a trait of the show.

And my main complaint was not giving the moment Hurley realized they were building the hatch that brought their plane there a little more importance. Clearly they only did it to get across the idea of them considering the possibilities of changing what happened, but they made it seem more about the numbers than the fact that Hurley was looking at an opportunity to stop their plane from ever crashing.

That was annoying - but considering the show had Jack NOT persist to ask after Aaron in 506, I'm not surprised by dropping the ball on a storyline. There's so much dramatic potential there, and it's not being utilised.

Especially Kate - who hasn't made ANY attempt to find Claire yet. Despite being back on The Island since 506.

Yeah, I think the uncle in Jack should of over-shadowed his longing to be with Kate. It's ok to be glad to have her there, but when she says "don't ever ask me again" through tears like a mother who just drowned her baby, he should really be a little more inquisitive.

And I think the Claire thing is a result of scheduling. She's not available for this season so they have to work around her as best they can. I think if they highlight the fact that they haven't been there that long and are still more concerned about whatever this situation actually is, and why they're there, it won't be that hard to swallow her not wondering what happened. It's of course gonna happen at some point, I'm guessing it's more likely Claire finds Kate and wants to know where the baby is, then Kate going out of her way to find Claire.

Loved the mythology in the finale.

This has been one big long con by anti-Jacob.

Locke has always been a mark. Ben goes from master manipulator to pawn.

The Others really were the good guys!

I'm not going to get huge into things, but lets just say I was really satisfied with this finale.......as typical with this show, more questions than answers by the end of it, BUT they DID answer a whole hell of alot of other questions that tied up some stuff alot to help understand what this whole island thing is really all about at it's core (faith vs science in Jacob v. whoeverthefucktheotherguyis) but how about the way they got there, really good stuff if you ask me. It really made you think of the "whens and ifs and hows" of alot of things in past seasons......how you thought it was one way when, in fact, it was another (mostly pertaining to everything Jacob).

For what it's worth, when Locke's still dead body was shown, I figured immediately that this meant that Jacob was just taking the form of Locke, just like he did as old man Shepard, and as such was just baiting Ben into the room to actually kill Ben, since he was living a lie of himself, etc. Then it went to a whole new level about a minute later with the reveal that it was actually Jacob's yin to his yang, etc, totally caught me off guard. And in a good way.

I think when we will look back at this finale, a year from now, we will realize just how well done it was, even to the naysayers who are thinking it was the worst thing ever. Time will tell I guess. But they did really throw out some amazing stuff tonight if you ask me, in terms of the mythology of the series as a whole.

Overall, one hell of a season, right up there in the top three for sure.

I spent the whole episode thinking Jacob and the other guy were some kind of Heaven/Hell, Angel/Demon, Jesus/Satan kind of thing, but with Jacob being killed .....So all this build up with Jacob and now he's dead? Outsmarted by Titus Welliver disguised as Locke? So the whole show has been Jacob and his friend, the smoke monster, having an eternal feud. Wow. Was smokey angry about Jacob bringing someone to their island paradise, hence looking for the loophole to kill him? Kind of a let down. Speaking of letdowns, Ben sure turned into a whiny little bitch.

And no way is Juliet dead. She set off the bomb and everyone's going to get sent back to 2007, and everyone will join forces against Evil John Locke.

Goddamn it Miles. We are blowing up a bomb to change the future. This is no time to be thinking out plans or considering the consequence of our actions! Its time to just change in and, while we're at it, discuss how screwed up our love lives are! And how the boys want Kate.

I wonder if Aaron will be the vehicle through which Jacob can reincarnate. Maybe that will somehow fulfill the "he can't be raised by another" prophecy. Maybe Aaron will save them all somehow.

So black shirt guy was a shapeshifter or something like that. He learned a way to take on the body of a dead person (Christian, Locke, Ben's daughter) as a way to get his plan in motion to finally kill Jacob. Can't wait to find out why he wanted Jacob dead (power hungry, jealously?) and what happens now that Jacob is dead.

Interesting that Jacob's death coincided with the 1977 Incident. Maybe the explosion causes time shifts again and they get thrown to 2007!!! That's why he said they are coming!

Sign in to follow this