TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter

A rare full schedule of games on a Monday. The Mets and Expos play home games tonight despite both being on the West Coast on Sunday. That almost never happens, the East coast teams almost always seem to get an off day in between. Aaron Heilman makes his first start of the year tonight for the Mets after his horrific rookie season last year. I think the Phils are going to be pumped up to face the Astros tonight after what Houston did to them last week. Lidle/Clemens tonight.

Buster Olney's doing a chat on ESPN.com. I doubt my question on productive outs gets answered (he's the one who touted Productive Out Percentage as a worthwhile stat). Its odd that the top two teams in POP (Montreal and Pittsburgh) score so few runs.

Guest Staravenger
The Yankees scored! The Yankees scored! BAH GAWD THE YANKEES SCORED!

Getting a little too emotional, don't you think?

And A-Rod strikes out...someone needs to light a fire under his fucking ass.

Guest Anglesault
The Yankees scored! The Yankees scored! BAH GAWD THE YANKEES SCORED!

Getting a little too emotional, don't you think?

No. The total and unbearable suckage of the last week can never result in someone being too emotional.

I think our A-Rod is broken. Can we take him back and get a new one?

Guest Anglesault

And of course, immediately after my celebration they revert back into suck mode.

This has been a long week.

Guest Staravenger

We want to exchange Estaban Loaiza for someone who can win. Is Wade Boggs available to pitch.

Guest Anglesault

The Yankees have scored in successive innings! It's like Christmas in August.

Guest Staravenger
The Yankees have scored in successive innings! It's like Christmas in August.

No longer a celebration, Indians got two runs just now and Mussina is all over the place.

Guest Staravenger
Jesus Fucking Christ. Why in the FUCK would you intentionally walk Brad Ausmus?!?!

Uh...afraid he might not suck for a change?

Guest Anglesault

Alright, now they're really starting to piss me the fuck off witrh this shit.

New Murderer's Row. What a joke.

Guest Anglesault

When this team is still producing offensively, you can sort of look over the fact that Sheffield is basically the only guy on the team anywhere near is career numbers.

When they're not, it's a kind of glaring.

When this team is still producing offensively, you can sort of look over the fact that Sheffield is basically the only guy on the team anywhere near is career numbers.

When they're not, it's a kind of glaring.

Jorge Posada is exceeding his career numbers. Alex Rodriguez looks worse than he is because he moved out of a good hitters' park. The main problem is that the Yankees are built on established, older players. Players almost always decline after 30. Here's a Bill James quote....

When you acquire any player over 28, you are getting about 40% of a career--and that on the downhill slide. You can do that, perhaps, to fill a hole. But what happens when you try to build a whole team that way? Your replacement-rate goes out of sight. If you've got eight players on a downhill slide, two of them are going to slip and fall--either that, or you're defying the law of averages.

That was written about the 1978 California Angels. Its appropriate for the Yankees of this age. The hazards of building via free agency is that you're always acquiring players on a perpetual slide.

Serious question - do you think that, by starting his everyday major league career at the age of 20, Alex Rodriguez has fast-forwarded through the usual "physical prime" of his career and hit the decline phase?

Even away from Yankee Stadium, he's hitting 40 points off of his career OPS.

Serious question - do you think that, by starting his everyday major league career at the age of 20, Alex Rodriguez has fast-forwarded through the usual "physical prime" of his career and hit the decline phase?

Even away from Yankee Stadium, he's hitting 40 points off of his career OPS.

It would certainly be a unique occurance. A player's prime occurs earlier than most people think, and the process usually starts by 30. Most players who are stars at 20 and don't flame out early tend to have long careers, and be Hall of Famers. A-Rod will decline as time goes on, and we may have seen his best years. But he will still compete at an All-Star level for awhile, and like I said before, alot of his decline is exaggerated by leaving Texas for a park which is unkind to righties.