TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

What if the A's had kept their free agents?

I posted this at WDI, and I thought it would make good discussion.

I think their lost hitters are overblown. Let's compare the 2004 A's offense to their "dream" offense, as they've performed this season. Win Shares in parenthesis.

2004 A's

C Damian Miller (14)

1B Scott Hatteberg (15)

2B Marco Scutaro (8)

SS Bobby Crosby (11)

3B Eric Chavez (13)

LF Eric Byrnes (13)

CF Mark Kotsay (15)

RF Jermaine Dye (10)

DH Erubiel Durazo (14)

Dream A's

Ramon Hernandez (8)

Jason Giambi (8)

Ray Durham (11)

Miguel Tejada (22)

Eric Chavez (13)

Eric Byrnes (13)

Johnny Damon (17)

Jermaine Dye (10)

Erubiel Durazo (14)

The 2004 A's starting lineup accumulated 113 Win Shares. Their dream lineup accumulated 116 Win Shares. That works out to a single win this season, had they kept all of their stars.

It gets better. The A's 2004 lineup earns $31.8 Million. Their "dream" lineup earns $57.8 Million. So for just $26 Million, the A's could've kept their players, and earned another win in the standings. That just doesn't sound like sound business.

Actually, this could be an interesting research idea.....

If we took the 1994 Montreal Expos, kept them together, and added their win shares, how many games could they have won each season?

Hey Al, is there anyway to see how they compare using their average win shares? I think it'd be a bit fairer as Jason Giambi is currently injured otherwise he'd likely be in the teens WS wise which would put them up around 120-122 total.

Hey Al, is there anyway to see how they compare using their average win shares? I think it'd be a bit fairer as Jason Giambi is currently injured otherwise he'd likely be in the teens WS wise which would put them up around 120-122 total.

You could figure average Win Shares just by dividing by games or plate appearances, but I don't see the good in it. If the A's had Giambi, he'd likely be injured, and not contributing. Hatteberg IS contributing. It isn't about which group has more talent necessarily, its about how much each group is currently contributing to their teams.

I thought it'd be fair to add this. Closers.

Arthur Rhodes/Octavio Dotel (1/3)

Keith Foulke (10)

Billy Koch (3)

Jason Isringhausen (9)

Guest Anglesault

Of course, if they kept Giambi, he never would have went to Japan and contracted the parasite, saving him at least a couple months this year.

Guest Anglesault

That seems to be the only possible option. They can't place the Giambis and Kevin Brown together anywhere but Yankee Stadium.

And I shall laugh mightily and dig up this thread if the A's miss the play offs by a game

Guest Anglesault
The amusing thing is I can make a similar team with ex-Yankees. Jeff Weaver and Kevin Brown are currently tied in Win Shares, by the way.

Good for him. He's doing as well as a guy who missed two months of the year.

Bravo.

Weaver HAD to go. I don't WANT him to do well anywhere, but if he becomes Cy Young, so be it. It wasn't happening here.

"Forget the Expos. I say all A's topics, all the time! Let me go create a topic on the career of Mike Gallego."

Can we also discuss the all encompassing awesomeness of Carney Landsford?

Let's see, if the A's had kept everybody they would probably...win the AL West and job out in the 1st round?