TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

AL MVP: Who is it, and does Sheffield have any

I think the problem for Yankees players is that the media have an infatuation with players who have big years on teams that contend after being lousy the season before. Hence Yankees players don't get viewed as being all that "valuable" since the team has been good for such a consistently long period of time. For this reason I think Guerrero will end up winning it, although he, Sheffield, and Ramirez are all deserving candidates.

I can't really complain about Clemens. .

I think I could have understood Boggs, because he had a hell of a year. Very similar to Mattingly, better in some aspects, not quite as good in others.

But I have always hated (and not just this once instance) the idea that a pitcher is somehow more valuable than any position player. Someone who plays in maybe 40 games (best case of a starter) shouldn't be considered more valuable than a guy who goes out there almost every single day and puts up awesome numbers over 130+ games. I think Mattingly played almost every game that year and Boggs couldn't have missed too many.

Someone who shows up once every fifth day and plays 7 or 8 innings is not more valuable than someone who shows up every day and plays 9.

I'm of the opinion that position players are usually better than pitchers. However, there are exceptions, when a pitcher is SO dominant, that he stands above the field. For example, Bob Gibson in 1968, or Pedro Martinez in 1999. Pitchers aren't usually MVPs, but they do deserve consideration. I think voters prefer not to include them because they do not really know how to measure them against position players.

Clemens in 1986 went 24-4. Figure if we gave the average pitcher 28 decisions, he'd win 14. Clemens won 10 games more than an average pitcher. That's a little simplistic, but that's the kind of accomplishment we're dealing with. Personally, I probably would've voted for Boggs.

Speaking of which, how did Boggs get hosed so thoroughly in that voting? At least Mattingly finished 2nd. Boggs finished 7th, behind teammate Jim Rice and his amazing RBIs, among others. You know why Rice had 110 RBIs? Because Wade Boggs was on base all the damned time. Writers like to dismiss sabermetrics, but they are having an influence in some areas, and this is one of them. Thankfully, its not as easy for low OBP, high RBI slugs to make the voting in front of the leadoff hitters who make it possible.

Miguel Tejada is a deserving candidate, but he has no shot.  After all, how can a player have value on a losing team?

a_arod_hi.jpg

Guest Anglesault
I'm of the opinion that position players are usually better than pitchers. However, there are exceptions, when a pitcher is SO dominant, that he stands above the field.

Did Roger, in your opinion? Was he THAT much better than a Mattingly or Boggs?

Speaking of which, how did Boggs get hosed so thoroughly in that voting?

Home runs, probably.

Miguel Tejada is a deserving candidate, but he has no shot.  After all, how can a player have value on a losing team?

a_arod_hi.jpg

230172270.jpg

Take a couple, I think your sarcasm detector is running a little low.

Toss some in your own detector while you're at it

Besides, the next time Al is sarcastic will be the first time

Not to mention that he argued FOR Rodriguez getting the MVP last year...

Did Roger, in your opinion? Was he THAT much better than a Mattingly or Boggs?

I probably wouldn't have voted him #1. But if I had a ballot, he'd be on the top ten.

Not to mention that he argued FOR Rodriguez getting the MVP last year...

And the year before, and maybe the year before that.

Guest Anglesault
Mora has a much better case than Tejada.

In rate stats maybe, but Tejada has played in 22 more games than Mora. That's a significant difference.

That can go the other way, as Mora's home runs and doubles (and probably runs scored) are all comprable to a guy who played 22 more games than him.

I see Mora 6, Tejada 7 in the final vote.

If Ramirez, Ortiz, Guerrero and Sheffield make up the top 4, and Mora and Tejada are 6 and 7, who is #5?

People will vote A-Rod based on his name and home runs.