TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

NL MVP: Who is it?

Barry Bonds?

Albert Pujols?

Scott Rolen?

Adrian Beltre?

Are Adam Dunn and Sean Casey this league's Mora and Tejada?

Do Jim Thome or Jeremy Burnitz get consideration?

My pick is Pujols who is leading the best team in the majors and edging out most everyone in the stats. Beltre makes it real close. And then there's that Bonds guy who if he just had less walks....

Pujols though is beating out Bonds in homeruns, RBIs, runs, hits, doubles and is right behind him on stats like Avg., OBP, and SLG and is playing on the best team in baseball. Beltre also leads Bonds in most of those stats as well.

What say you gentelmen?

Guest Staravenger

I don't follow the NL as closely as I do the AL, so I'll sheep myself and say Bonds judging by those stats, even though I don't like the guy.

A poster on another board said it best. Beltre and Pujols are having A+ Mike Schmidt seasons. Bonds is having an A+ Ruthian season. I seriously think in fifty years, people are going to look at Bonds not winning more MVP's like they look at Ruth's lack of hardware.

I'd rather see Rolen get it, but we all know that the signs point to Bonds getting it. Since Day One of the season everyone's been following his every move because of him tying Mays.

It's really no contest other than between Bonds and Rolen. Rolen's cooled off in recent weeks, too, so I think this bodes well for Bonds. Beltre's making a strong case, but he'll be overlooked.

And Sean Casey? Are you kidding me? It's not still May is it? I thought we dropped this crazy notion that the Reds were a good team and Sean Casey was hands down the best player in the NL.

All I know is the Cards would still be in the playoffs withouth Pujols, while the Giants would be seriously fucked and probably below .500 without Bonds.

That's a tough call. Pujols has 33 win shares, meaning he's responsible for about 11 of the Cards' victories this season. Their current lead in the Central is 13 games, so without Albert, they'd be cutting it very close as far as postseason activity goes.

With Bonds, there's no question that the Giants would be screwed without him. But as it is, they're still not exactly sitting pretty with him. They're definitely much better with him, but as it is, they're not going to the postseason even with him.

Adrian Beltre, especially after the grand slam he hit against the Expos. Incredible moment for the team after getting their ass's hammered by the Braves earlier.

It's got to be Bonds. Take a look at some of his accomplishments this season. His 12.20 Home Run Percentage is 5th best All-Time behind himself in 2001, and three seasons of Mark McGwire. He's set to shatter his own OBP record by 28 points. His slugging percentage is 4th best all time. His OPS is the best all time.

But with all the intentional walks, does he really help his team? Absolutely. The Giants play in a pitchers' park, have no offense outside of Bonds, and they're second in the league in runs scored. SECOND. Bonds creates opportunites by reaching base, and not making outs.

Bonds' season is absolutely historic. Beltre, Pujols and Rolen are all having fine years, but its no contest.

At the all-star break i went with Scott Rolen, but now and in retrospect i'd have to say Barry Bonds should and almost certianly will win the award. If Adrian Beltre can keep up his ridiculously hot form for most of the remaining games and leads the Dodgers to the playoffs over the Giants i could see him getting a good amount of votes and maybe even sneaking in ahead of Bonds to win it, but really the MVP is Bonds' to lose, unless he goes ice cold or misses significant time through injury it'll be another MVP award to Bonds.

It definitely should be Bonds' award to lose, but I've got this weird sensation that Jim Edmonds could have a shot at it, if he gets hot down the stretch. Edmonds has the highest OPS on the Cards (1.052), will probably have a good shot at a Gold Glove (even with Mike Cameron around), and is on pace for 108 runs, 42 home runs, and 112 RBIs with an average around .300 (he's at .303 now).

I mean, there's no question that it should be Bonds, but out of all of the Cardinal candidates that everybody has been throwing around, I think Edmonds has the most legitimate shot.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I will say there's a good chance that Bonds could be Jordan-ed, where they give the award to an obviously worse player because they feel guilty about giving Bonds so many. And Jordan was loved by everyone, while Bonds is...um...not.

Thing is, the Cardinals have about 3 guys who will split votes (Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen). That is like having two guys from the same movie both nominated for Best Actor.

I think Adrian Beltre might be an interesting pick, but for whatever reason the Dodgers aren't getting any sort of love this year despite having the 3rd best record in baseball. I don't think they'll FINISH with the 3rd best record (Atlanta, Boston, Oakland all could), but Beltre is still practically carrying that team right now.

Ah, who am I kidding? Bonds. Take one of those 3 away from the Cards and they're still a contending team. Take Beltre away from the Dodgers and they could still be a mediocre, bleh team. Take Bonds away from the Giants and that is a BAD team.

Edmonds has the highest OPS on the Cards (1.052), will probably have a good shot at a Gold Glove (even with Mike Cameron around),

The OF gold gloves aren't position specific, so three center fielders can win the award.

Pujols though is beating out Bonds in homeruns, RBIs, runs, hits, doubles and is right behind him on stats like Avg., OBP, and SLG and is playing on the best team in baseball. Beltre also leads Bonds in most of those stats as well.

What say you gentelmen?

Pujols is problay ratted high in that, because he is not as walked as much as Bonds.

Bonds is basically the whole SF Giants offense, and he is the reason they will win the wild card. Jason Schmit is great, but the Giants would be horrible without Bonds.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Bonds .369/.612/.819, 143.5 Runs Created, 39 Win Shares, 35 HR, 178 BB, 24 K's

Rolen .326/.413/.617, 106 RC, 33 WS, 31 HR, 110 RBI, Gold Glove defense

Pujols .323/.407/.643, 113.6 RC, 29 WS, 36 2B, 38 HR, 96 RBI

Edmonds .303/.419/.633 103.3 RC, 25 WS, 32 HR, 86 RBI, Gold Glove defense

Beltre .334/.380/.646 103.5 RC, 23 WS, 40 HR, 94 RBI, Gold Glove defense

I wouldn't want the electorate to be uninformed. Not in this country...

and can we at least get some sympathy votes for JD Drew and Bobby Abreu?