TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DMann2003

Could this Egyptian Olympian

I'm watching 211lb Greco-Roman wrestling on NBC right now and they're highlighting this Egyptian named Karam Ibrahim and the commentators have mentioned that he wants to train in the US for pro wrestling but the Egyptian Olympic council convinced him to go for the Olympics, and he's won the Gold in his division.

He's got flash and speed, he's 6ft 3in and probably between 210-220 right now, bares a passing resemblance to the Rock and they just mentioned Kurt Angle's switch from amatuer to pro.

Who knows, we could be looking at a future star here (I'd say get Pritchard, Angle and Regal to train him).

Here's a photo of him2004olympics3.jpg

That's cool, I wasn't sure considering he was still wrestling in the Olympics at the time.

Found this little tidbit after putting his name through a web search, from Gannett News Service:

John Fuller, a USA Wrestling spokesman, said he connected Ibrahim with officials from WWE while the 24-year-old trained in Colorado Springs, Colo., in February.

Ibrahim flew to Cleveland to meet with people from WWE, the televised professional wrestling show built around testosterone, fireworks and blaring music.

``If he wins a gold, they've pretty much told him they're going to offer him big money,'' Fuller said

What the hell. Until a mod chooses to move the thread.

This guy was very impressive. A great look all around. He can be big in the WWE. Just don't go overboard playing up he's Eqyptian. A cocky heel is fine, although i think eventually he'll be someone the crowd will cheer for.

Just saw him on the West Coast. Speaks English pretty good, has a great look, seems like a nice fellow, and says he will be going to America to wrestle. Impressive guy.

The best part was when his fat coach ran up to hug and congratulate him and Karam just snaps off a Ken Shamrock belly to belly suplex on the guy. Hilarious.

Just saw him on the West Coast. Speaks English prettywell, has a great look, seems like a nice fellow, and says he will be going to America to wrestle. Impressive guy.

Sorry for poking fun IW, but I found the irony too amusing not to point out. :P

The man is amazing! That match which was at 12:30 AM looked like an audition to become a pro wrestler. Everybody was in on it the announcers were talking about how Karem has family in NYC and was thinking about being a pro wrestler. The match had several WWE-ish moments since they forgot about the actual wrestling on the mat. One of the announcers nearly broke down and started to use pro wrestling terms like German Suplex but stop himself midway and said "nice lift". Again very Schiavonie-ish as the announcer said "nice lift" in the same manner Schiavonie would say "sidewalk slam".

That match was entertaining as it had spots if you will with Karem attempting suplexes. The score was 10-2 because of all of the suplexes and counters that Karem did. One of which was a sweet looking German, the Magnum PI-ish Belly-to-Belly suplex on his coach who was running at him, the on the mat takedown, and the counter to the opponet's attempted Steiner-ish Belly-to-Belly suplex.

It was a hellava lot better than the retirement match by that hoss Roulen who did nothing but "Bearhug" for 6 minutes.

One of the announcers nearly broke down and started to use pro wrestling terms like German Suplex but stop himself midway and said "nice lift".

I thought German suplex WAS a freestyle term. I've heard it used before, I think.

Yeah, they used it at what, the first UFC? I think it was...I recall Dan Severn grabbing the guy from behind, and the announcer, calm as day, says "He's probably going to try a sooplay (his pronounciation)". So Severn suplexes the guy, holds on, and stands back up.

"He's probably going to try another."

That poor bastard was dead.

Anybody read the Olympic section of USA Today, they had quotes from JR, confirming they'd had talks with him, saying he's the real deal and they were waiting till he finished his Olympic commitments.

Yeah, it's called a suplay in the States; "souplesse" is the French equivalent. You might recall Solie using "suplay" often, "to use the amateur term." I've never heard any of the old salt refs calling it a German, or for that matter anyone but the young'uns.

"Lift" is indeed the appropriate term for a suplay that starts from par terre (on-the-mat wrestling). Karelin's gutwrench suplex move was a "reverse lift." "Lift" is also used generically for any throw that starts from par terre, but it's the One True Name for a suplay starting from par terre. It's like how you have a "suplex" and then a "belly-to-belly suplex." "Suplex" refers to a specific thing (the vertical suplex) while still being a somewhat generic name.

Gaber is currently recognized as one of, if not the, top technicians in the world today. He's incredibly strong and smooth on the mat, and he's up a class from his natural weight - he was perfectly suited for the old 192.5 class, but the cut would have been a bit much for him to the new 185 class.

It was a hellava lot better than the retirement match by that hoss Roulen who did nothing but "Bearhug" for 6 minutes.

I'd submit that you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Its the same announcer that did UFC.

Jeff Blatnick. Blatnick was an '84 Olympic Gold Medalist, and his victory after recovering from cancer is one of the all time great Olympic wrestling stories.

Yeah, it's called a suplay in the States; "souplesse" is the French equivalent. You might recall Solie using "suplay" often, "to use the amateur term." I've never heard any of the old salt refs calling it a German, or for that matter anyone but the young'uns.

"Lift" is indeed the appropriate term for a suplay that starts from par terre (on-the-mat wrestling). Karelin's gutwrench suplex move was a "reverse lift." "Lift" is also used generically for any throw that starts from par terre, but it's the One True Name for a suplay starting from par terre. It's like how you have a "suplex" and then a "belly-to-belly suplex." "Suplex" refers to a specific thing (the vertical suplex) while still being a somewhat generic name.

Gaber is currently recognized as one of, if not the, top technicians in the world today. He's incredibly strong and smooth on the mat, and he's up a class from his natural weight - he was perfectly suited for the old 192.5 class, but the cut would have been a bit much for him to the new 185 class.

I'd submit that you've got no idea what you're talking about.

Ok let me rephrase that with standing clinch after a period of time of no action. Both of the heavyweights were forced to do the "bearhug" move and the person who releases the grip would lose some points or the match.

Besides how often is Greco-Roman wrestling on tv? It is hard to follow the sport when it gets a bad time slot once every 4 years.

This guy looks like he would do well in pro-wrestling. However, the real question is: Does he have any interest in pro-wrestling? Unfortunately, in the cases of Rulon Gardner and Alexander Karelin, the answer was pretty much a "no."