GreatWhiteNope

WWF Laserdiscs

Ones I know of:

Bloopers, Bleeps and Bodyslams (1985)

Hulkamania: The Best Of Hulk Hogan

The Best Of The WWF: Volume 1

Wrestlemania (1985)

Were there any more?

And for that matter, did any other federations release wrestling LD's?

wrestlemania was on laserdisc? wow

were laser discs even good? I mean compared to dvds. my junior high science class had a LD player and we watched some science films on it and I remember being intrigued as I hadn't heard of them before (this was about 95)

were laser discs even good?  I mean compared to dvds.  my junior high science class had a LD player and we watched some science films on it and I remember being intrigued as I hadn't heard of them before (this was about 95)

I bought a LD player off eBay like a year ago, mainly so I can have films/shows that aren't out on DVD in good quality. Sadly, I don't have the cables to hook it up so I haven't actually used it yet.

From my experiences - the resolution is lower than DVD, but the picture is pretty damn good.

My high school science teacher surprised us one day about 3 years ago and started playing a laserdisc. I was cracking the fuck up because I was the only one who knew what it was.

I guess most science material was distributed on LD back then as it was the "next big thing" and science class was an obvious way to show off the technology.

A downside to Laserdiscs was that they could only hold roughly 1 hour of video on each side - so it had to be flipped if it was longer than that.

Some players did that automatically, some didn't.

Like mine.

But my player has a backstory at least - it was used at Universal Studios to play the videos people saw while waiting in line at the rides. I found that pretty cool.

On a similar note, all of WWF's Coliseum Video releases up to Wrestlemania 5 were also released on Betamax. If you watch old NWA tapes from the late 80's you'll see ads that proclaim betamax version of the advertised events are available, but I've never actually seen any NWA Betas, which leads me to believe they either don't exist or are phenomanally rare.

On a similar note, all of WWF's Coliseum Video releases up to Wrestlemania 5 were also released on Betamax. If you watch old NWA tapes from the late 80's you'll see ads that proclaim betamax version of the advertised events are available, but I've never actually seen any NWA Betas, which leads me to believe they either don't exist or are phenomanally rare.

I saw one on EBay for $1 a year or so ago. One of the Bash's I believe.

In high school my freshman year geography teacher had a LD player, but I don't remember him using it even once the whole year.

On a side note...was the audio on laserdiscs in stereo, or was it surround? Just curious as a home theater buff.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

Semi unrelated, but isn't the Beta quality better than VHS? Read that somewhere, i think.

I'd be curious to see how exactly 3 hour show would be set up on Laserdisc. I just know it'd involve switching sides (maybe a disc) in the middle of a fucking match.