TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Youth N Asia

What pc games are must owns

Guest Youth N Asia

FINALLY...after almost two years on the piece of Pentium 166, 28.8 modem turd I paid $125 for...I have a kick ass computer.

So...what games are must owns...like I said in the header...I am completly new to PC gaming.

I've played the Sims and I know I like it...other then that I don't know crap about new games.

Your input is appreciated.

Thank ah you.

Youth N Asia

Guest The Man in Blak

Hmmmmm...all right, here's some recommendations off of the top of my head:

My Picks:

Half-Life (first-person shooter - also is the base for CounterStrike)

Starcraft (real-time strategy)

Worms World Party (turn-based "action" game like Tank Wars or Scorched Earth)

Fallout (role playing game)

Grim Fandango (adventure game)

System Shock 2 (horror/role playing game/first person shooter...that's right)

Other Genre-Specific Recommendations:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (first-person shooter, slightly more realistic)

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear ("tactical" first-person shooter)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (turn-based strategy)

Age of Empires II: Age of Kings (real-time strategy)  

Baldur's Gate (roleplaying game)

SimCity 3000 (building/management simulation)

Rollercoaster Tycoon (building/management simulation)

Those are pretty much the best or hottest games you can get out there.  Hope that helps.

(and yes, I didn't recommend Diablo 2 on purpose)

Guest TheHulkster

Doom is a classic, you can get all 3 Dooms for pretty cheap now too. One of the few old school games I go back to.

Medal of Honor: Allied assault kicks some ass too.

Guest The Notorious CRD

Here are some games I'd recommend picking up:

Diablo II (w/ Lord of Destruction expansion pack)

Max Payne

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

Half-Life

Freedom Force

Roller Coaster Tycoon (and its various expansions)

Guest The Man in Blak
Doom is a classic, you can get all 3 Dooms for pretty cheap now too. One of the few old school games I go back to.

Medal of Honor: Allied assault kicks some ass too.

This is true - all of the DOOMs are awesome old-school games and, in some ways, still hold up well today.   Actually, I think there's a 3D accelerated DOOM that you can download from the internet somewhere...

Guest Youth N Asia

I just finished downloading a multiplayer demo of the new Wolfenstein game...I'm not big into shooters...but I'll try it out.

I have Max Payne for PS 2 already.

I really don't know what I'm looking for...just something different...and if not something different then something fun. Hell, up untill the day I got this computer I never thought I'd have one that could play decient games.

Thanks for the input so far.

Guest TUS_02

I recomend Deus Ex.  I haven't played the game in forever, but I was in love with it.  It combines all elements of all games mention and..... well, it's just great.

Alien vs. Predator one (haven't played the second)

Age of Empires: Age of Kings

Deus X

Unreal Tournament or Championship

Starcraft and the expansion to it, Broodwars

Heard good things about Rainbow Six

Any of the Half-Lifes but not counter strike unless you want to get tired of it in about two weeks.

Guest Tomato Can

In terms of shooters, get Half-Life, No One Lives Forever, Alien vs Predator 2, or for a more horror theme, Undying.  Also recommended are Jedi Knight 2 and Medal of Honor.  First-person shooters pretty much rule the roost these days, there are so many great ones out there.

If you want a more "reality based" shooter, grab Rogue Spear or Operation Flashpoint.

In terms of adventure games, get The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango

If you want strategy, get Civ 3.  If you like real time strategy, you'll have to ask someone else cuz I really don't like 'em.  I guess Starcraft and the Age of Empires series are the most popular.

If you want RPGs, get Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate 2.  Also check out Freedom Force, which is a sort of comic book-style RPG/strategy hybrid.  Oh, and Wizardry 8, the final entry in the series, is supposed to be pretty awesome, too.

If you want a space sim, get Freespace 2 or for a less traditional experience, Independence War 2.

Oh, and I guess you should try out the Sims.  I got tired of it pretty quickly, but there are people who have bought all 3 (or 4, I forget) expansions and continue to love it, so you may as well give it a shot.

I would say... UT, Civ 3, Black & White, Sub Command (only if you like military sims because this is as real as it comes), The Sims, Command and Conquer (any), Starfleet Command, and Bridge Commander is sweet.

Guest areacode212

For an awesome FPS game, I highly recommend No One Lives Forever. It won a few "Game of the Year" awards, but was still somewhat overlooked by consumers...the Game of the Year Edition can be found for around $20 (I think), and is very much worth buying. Personally, I'm enjoying the single-player game much more than I ever enjoyed Half-Life or Jedi Knight, or even the DOOMs, which is *very* high praise.

The missions you go on are pretty interesting and really varied, unlike in many other FPS games, where the level designs get pretty monotonous. One stage takes place while you're free-falling in mid-air, and you're trying to catch up to the parachute-wearing bad guy below you, all the while avoiding gunfire from other skydivers. In another, you're investigating a sunken freighter, and in another, you have to escape a hotel in the middle of an Oktoberfest celebration.

Plus, the humor is REALLY witty. While sneaking around, you get to overhear some pretty funny conversations from the bad guys, and the character designs are a lot of fun. The weapons range from realistic (AK-47s & DeLisle Carbine), though with different names for legal reasons, to sci-fi ones (laser guns). You also get a lot of cool gadgets (proximity explosives disguised as lipstick, acid gas in a perfume atomizer). And when you get shot with cyanide-tipped ammo, you start hallucinating (you start seeing images of weird animals) Even multiplayer is more fun than I expected, though with such a relatively small online community, there aren't too many mods & add-ons for it.

It sucks that this great game was ignored by so many, which is partly why I'm pimping it so hard. Anyway, get it, it's cheap! Hopefully the sequel will do a lot better at the checkout lane.

Doom and Doom II are classics, and as The Man in Blak said, they still hold up VERY well today. Play them with ZDoom (http://zdoom.notgod.com), basically a 2002 version of the 9-year-old Doom client, and you should be set. If you have a hard time finding them, it's easy enough to find them for free on the 'net.

For turn-based strategy, I recommend either the Heroes of Might & Magic series (Heroes 2 is my favorite--I saw it for $9.99 in a CompUSA bargain bin), or, if you prefer the Civilization-style games, I suggest getting Civilization II and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. You can get both for less than the cost of Civ III, which is basically Civ II with nicer graphics.

For RPGs, I only have one word for you: Fallout. You can get it bundled with Fallout 2 for $10-$15. Planescape: Torment is good too.

Real-time strategy: go with Starcraft or Age of Empires II...if you're a Star Wars fan, you might like Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, which uses the AOE II engine.

Diablo II is good for MUD-lite-style gaming, and unlike MMORPGs, it's free to play on battle.net. It's really not as fun now as it was when it first came out though.

Anyway, to reiterate, get No One Lives Forever!!

Also, check out these threads for more info on good PC games:

http://thesmartmarks.com/cgi-bin....;t=3755

http://thesmartmarks.com/cgi-bin....4;t=868

Guest Tomato Can

Dude, it's just "Elder Scrolls" not "Elders of the Scrolls".

Guest Smeghead

Anything made by Blizzard.  They seem to be incapable of making a bad game.  This includes the Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo games.

Half-life is great.  For the person who said they got tired of Counterstrike after two weeks, I've been playing it off and on for two years and I still keep coming back to it!  Then again, I am a total geek.

Unreal Tournament is a great first-person shooter as well.

Both Baldur's Gate games are awesome.

Grand Theft Auto 3 is coming out for PC soon.  It might be out already.  I'm not sure.

All Worms games I've played have been great.  I'm sure the new one is just as good.