TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Baseball cards

Before Lebron James played his first game, I bought his McFarlane's Sports action figure for 12.99. Last time I checked it's worth 80 dollars now. Hopefully that continues to rise.

Do you have a picture of that bad boy? I have a mcFarlane of him too and wonder if its the same one.

I have a ton of cards at home...I have every Topps set from like '88 through '95 or so, along with a couple other sets and several books full of cards. I have a few that are probably worth something in the 20-30 dollar range, but that's about it. Nothing really rare or spectacular.

I figure I'll probably just hang on to them and pass them along if I ever have a kid. Kind of like my comic book collection (where I actually do have a couple worth something in the 50-100 dollar range, IIRC).

There's probably not a single Topps card from 88 to 95 that you could get over $5 for on eBay.

That's when they were so overproduced that they are worth nothing.

I just spent the last three hours going through all of my valuable cards to narrow it down to ten for my first foray into sending things in for grading.

I'm sending in:

1970 Topps OJ Simpson Rookie (football)

1984 Topps Dan Marino Rookie (football)

1989 Fleer Billy Ripken F*ck Face card(baseball)

1987 Fleer Barry Bonds Rookie Card(baseball)

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie Card(baseball)

2001 Topps Heritage Jim Brown with piece of Cleveland Stadium (football)

2001 Topps Heritage Michael Vick Rookie (football)

1987 Topps Barry Bonds Rookie(baseball)

1987 Topps Mark McGwire Rookie(baseball)

2004 Sage Beckett Exclusive Ben Roethlisberger (I have 2 but having second thoughts about sending these in for grading due to inability to get accurate value info) (football)

2002 Upper Deck Diamond Connection Bat Around Magglio Ordonez, Tim Salmon, Bobby Abreu, and Shawn Green quad Bat card (not even sure how I got it)(baseball)

I'm gonna go with the 45 day service through Beckett. It's my first time so I'm still a bit nervous. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I still have a lot of other stuff that I plan to send in if this experience is satisfactory. We'll see.

I used to be a huge sports card collector. Used to collect basketball and football cards, but stopped collecting round '98. Shit was mad expensive cause I'd cop the $10 and $20 packs and would also cop the $50-$60 boxes.

I used to separate the cards by sport and would put them binders with the sheets that held 9 cards each.

But the most expensive card either me or my brothers have ever found when buying packs was a 1:1 Kurt Warner Chasing Marino(?) card.

Shits insane.

Before Lebron James played his first game, I bought his McFarlane's Sports action figure for 12.99. Last time I checked it's worth 80 dollars now. Hopefully that continues to rise.

Do you have a picture of that bad boy? I have a mcFarlane of him too and wonder if its the same one.

Sorry to bring this ridiculously old topic back up but here's the picture

P1180175.jpg

Holy Beans that's the one I have :) Thanks for posting it.

I find some of the higher end stuff is being priced out of too many budgets. I mean who REALLY wants to pay 400 bucks for a pack of 6 cards? The market exists, obviously, but geez, you just assume buy four hobby boxes of something else and you probably could pull some serious stuff.

I've got Derek Jeter's 93 Topps rookie, Randy Johnson 89 Topps rookie, Score Rookie and Fleer rookie

2 years ago I started getting back into the hobby, and I've probably blown more than I ever should on it

But after my tax return (both from my filing and the 600 dollar rebate) come in I might splurg a bit again.

I just spent the last three hours going through all of my valuable cards to narrow it down to ten for my first foray into sending things in for grading.

I'm sending in:

1970 Topps OJ Simpson Rookie (football)

1984 Topps Dan Marino Rookie (football)

1989 Fleer Billy Ripken F*ck Face card(baseball)

1987 Fleer Barry Bonds Rookie Card(baseball)

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. rookie Card(baseball)

2001 Topps Heritage Jim Brown with piece of Cleveland Stadium (football)

2001 Topps Heritage Michael Vick Rookie (football)

1987 Topps Barry Bonds Rookie(baseball)

1987 Topps Mark McGwire Rookie(baseball)

2004 Sage Beckett Exclusive Ben Roethlisberger (I have 2 but having second thoughts about sending these in for grading due to inability to get accurate value info) (football)

2002 Upper Deck Diamond Connection Bat Around Magglio Ordonez, Tim Salmon, Bobby Abreu, and Shawn Green quad Bat card (not even sure how I got it)(baseball)

I'm gonna go with the 45 day service through Beckett. It's my first time so I'm still a bit nervous. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I still have a lot of other stuff that I plan to send in if this experience is satisfactory. We'll see.

Yeah so almost a year ago I posted that and altered what I sent in. I wound up not sending in the Vick for his value declined. I haven't yet sent in the Ripkin but its on my list to send in. The bonds I have not sent in yet either for the legal thing - but will anyway eventually. And the 2 Sage Beckett Roethlisbergers are still sitting in line to be sent in as well. I've been sending in a bundle per pay period since October. Here's my current stash:

My cards graded by BGS over the last few months

williamssmithdelhommetriplejerseyb.jpg

rivers_Tomlinson_Gates_Jacksonteamq.jpg

mauricedrew.jpg

johnson_jarrett_smith.jpg

harrison_johnson_ownes.jpg

brianbrohm.jpg

benroethlisberfoundationsjersey.jpg

bataroundUDQuad.jpg

adrianpetersontoppsjersey.jpg

TroyAikman.jpg

RoethlisbergerScoreRookie95.jpg

REggieBushLeafCertifiedMaterialsFab.jpg

Peterson_Lynch1.jpg

OJSimpson.jpg

KenGriffeyJrRookies.jpg

JohnathanVilmaAutograph.jpg

JimKelly.jpg

JimKelly2006.jpg

JimBrownA.jpg

JerryRice.jpg

JakeDelhommeLeafLimited.jpg

GregOlsen.jpg

GeneUpshaw.jpg

DrewBreesJerseyTagsb.jpg

DrewBreesGridironkings.jpg

CalvinJohnson2007ToppsJersey.jpg

BrettFavre2002PAcificJersey.jpg

AdrianPetersonUpperDeck2007.jpg

1962_topps_babe_ruth_a.jpg

1955Bowman.jpg

Also:

DSC04295.jpg

Paid 245 for it. Pulled 7 awesome cards. (all specks and spots a result of scanner needing windex - cards are in a card saver)

1. Reggie Bush #'d 100ReggieBushBack.jpgReggieBushFront.jpg

2. Michael Bush rookie jersey auto #'d 99MICHAELBUSHBACK.jpgMICHAELBUSHFRONT.jpg

3. Ken Strong jersey #'d 50KenStrongBack.jpgKenStrongFront.jpg

4. Ed Johnson Rookie auto #'d 99EDJOHNSONFRONT.jpg

5. Sam Huff auto #'d 50SAMHUFFBACK.jpgSAMHUFFFRONT.jpg

6. Sterling Sharpe triple jersey with 4 colors autographed #'d 25STERLINGSHARPEBACK.jpgSTERLINGSHARPEFRONT.jpg

7. Sonny Jurgensen, Bart Starr, and John Mackey triple Jersey #'d 25JurgensenStarrMackeyBack.jpgJurgensenStarrMackeyFront.jpg

Also I'm open to trades/sales on most of them but you'd have to make me a really awesome deal. (But am sending the whole set in for grading in the next week)

I got back into it again a couple years ago after a couple years break. Still pretty much just building sets and I'll try to pick up a particular rookie that isn't in a set that I'm doing. Did the 2005 and 2006 Upper Deck hockey sets , although I still need a Crosby rookie to complete 05. I have a couple boxes of 2007 that should arrive Monday and I'll probably be getting a box of 2008 series 1 soon. I'm 3 cards away from finishing the 2002 Topps Heritage set and 4 cards from completing the 2007 Ultra hockey set. There's a couple older partial sets that I'm considering trying to finish and I'm awaiting a card in the mail that will complete the 05-06 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics jersey set.

I have this 99-00 Pacific set that took me four years to complete. It's a gold parallel set numbered to 199 but it's 450 cards and they were only in the retail packs which didn't seem to get cracked as much as the hobby packs.

I have other sets from 2003 and older and some older singles. I don't really have very many cool jersey or autograph cards though. Probably because I'm so specific in what I collect and outside of a handful of exceptions, I've never had a ton of luck with pulling from packs.