TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

Guest Salacious Crumb

Where was secruity during the whole fight last night? It shouldn't have gotten to that point and then when everything broke loose where the hell were they?

Guest Staravenger

1. 3 Weeks

2. At least $5 Million

How long is the guy gonna get suspended? Throwing a CHAIR at a fan heckling him is just plain stupid. Too bad the guy doesn't play in Boston a lot. The fans there are all over the opposing teams ass.

He'll be gone for the rest of the season, for sure. Some columnists are suggesting he be suspended for all of next season as well, but that's never going to happen, although he'd fully deserve it.

I haven't seen the incident but, honestly, you don't really have to - if he reached over and attacked a fan, he's gone from the game. Not for this season, not for next season. He's BANNED, if Selig is in touch with reality at all.

People pay to sit in those seats and take in the baseball experience. What they choose to do with that experience is up to them - whether it be to get drunk and sing showtunes the whole damn game, sit quietly and soak in the ambience, or - heaven forbid - heckle the players. Players shouldn't interact with the fans, save for autographs or maybe some smack talk.

This crosses the line completely and, if not dealt with correctly, will put a smear on the game.

1. 3 Weeks

2. At least $5 Million

How long is the guy gonna get suspended? Throwing a CHAIR at a fan heckling him is just plain stupid. Too bad the guy doesn't play in Boston a lot. The fans there are all over the opposing teams ass.

Oh ho ho. Don't sell yourself short.

She's got many potential lawsuits ahead of her:

Francisco, the Texas Rangers, the security at the stadium, the Oakland A's (for owning the stadium), Major League Baseball...

People pay to sit in those seats and take in the baseball experience.  What they choose to do with that experience is up to them - whether it be to get drunk and sing showtunes the whole damn game, sit quietly and soak in the ambience, or - heaven forbid - heckle the players.  Players shouldn't interact with the fans, save for autographs or maybe some smack talk.

This crosses the line completely and, if not dealt with correctly, will put a smear on the game.

I disagree with this. Yes, as a ticket-buying fan, you have the right to cheer, boo, celebrate, trash talk, etc. during the game. Do that all you want.

However, your ticket is not a license to be a total asshole. Heckling is fine, but when you become a nuisance to those all of those around you in the stands, start cursing past the point of being obscene, and/or threaten other fans or players, you deserve to have your ass kicked out of the stadium.

What we don't know is exactly what was being said between the players and the fans. Who's to say the fan didn't cross the line with a threat or something similar?

Was Cordero right? No, of course not. He should be suspended for the rest of the season and fined a hefty amount. I feel especially bad for the (innocent) lady who had her nose broken. But this isn't going to smear the game anymore than, say, Robbie Alomar spitting on an umpire did.

You probably think William Ligue did no wrong in the attack on Tom Gamboa, huh? After all, he did buy a ticket so he could soak up the baseball experience, right? How dare those players "interact" with him by kicking his ass.

Guest Salacious Crumb

He's probably going to get away with a slap on the wrist if the Player's Union even half defends him. We all know Sellig bends over backwards for the Union.

But again..... where was secruity? The only guy I saw was in the middle of all the Rangers players. Things should've never gotten to that point.

I disagree with this.  Yes, as a ticket-buying fan, you have the right to cheer, boo, celebrate, trash talk, etc. during the game.  Do that all you want. 

However, your ticket is not a license to be a total asshole.  Heckling is fine, but when you become a nuisance to those all of those around you in the stands, start cursing past the point of being obscene, and/or threaten other fans or players, you deserve to have your ass kicked out of the stadium.

Fair enough - if they're going to detract from everybody else's experience, then it's the stadium's (and MLB's) responsibility to remedy the situation. Hence, the lawsuits towards the stadium and Major League Baseball. Fans should never have to even have the thought of potential violence enter their mind, from other fans or from players on the field.

What we don't know is exactly what was being said between the players and the fans.  Who's to say the fan didn't cross the line with a threat or something similar?

Even then, is there really anything that a fan could say that would warrant physical assault? Francisco could have taken the high road and asked that the fan in question be ejected.

Was Cordero right?  No, of course not.  He should be suspended for the rest of the season and fined a hefty amount.  I feel especially bad for the (innocent) lady who had her nose broken.  But this isn't going to smear the game anymore than, say, Robbie Alomar spitting on an umpire did.

Wrong. With Alomar, the offense was merely a show of disrespect. With Tom Gamboa, which you so sarcastically brought up later on, the offense involved a fan going far over the line. There should never be any physical altercations between the fans or the players, period. If you want to sign autographs, fine. If you want to talk smack back, fine.

It's heinous when a fan flips out and somehow rationalizes that attacking a coach on the field is acceptable.

But it is NO less heinous when a player, whose salary comes as a result of the fan's money, flashes back to fucking grade school to take out his frustrations.

Guest Staravenger

Last year every time I saw on PPV Blank Team @ Tampa Bay, there was always a REALLY fucking annoying guy screaming crap, to the point that I'd want to beat the piss out of him. I mean REALLY annoying, to the point I had to mute my television.

So I can see someone getting annoyed to the point they can't control themselves. But tossing a CHAIR? Jesus, a punch would've been better, at least it would've hit the right target. Not break a womans nose.

What we don't know is exactly what was being said between the players and the fans.  Who's to say the fan didn't cross the line with a threat or something similar?

Even then, is there really anything that a fan could say that would warrant physical assault? Francisco could have taken the high road and asked that the fan in question be ejected.

I agreed with everything you said except for this.

Is that what it ultimately comes down to? A player has to ask that someone be ejected for heckling?

They were just talking about this on the Dan Patrick show, and Kruk actually made a really good point. If a player goes to his manager, his teammates or to the umpire himself, are his teammates still going to respect him? Unlikely, since he's supposed to be focused at all times on the field and not even hear the fans. So what's a manager going to say? "Deal with it. "

What is the public perception going to be? "I paid my money, I can scream at them, I pay their salaries."

How different is it from being in a restaurant? You pay money to be there and the employees perform a certain service for your money. Does that mean that you can scream obsenities at the chef, waitress or bartender? Certainly not. And if you're asked to leave, what are you going to say? "I paid my money to be here." It's no different from the ballpark.

You know, we get down on athletes a lot for making the obscene amounts of money that they do, but it's times like this, when a fucking moron is screaming like that, where I don't want to be a professional player. It's not in their job descriptions to deal with the ignorant. Their job is to play baseball.

Even then, is there really anything that a fan could say that would warrant physical assault?  Francisco could have taken the high road and asked that the fan in question be ejected.

I agree. As Mad Dog said, where the hell was stadium security during all of this? Why did it continue on to the point it did?

There should never be any physical altercations between the fans or the players, period.

It's heinous when a fan flips out and somehow rationalizes that attacking a coach on the field is acceptable. 

But it is NO less heinous when a player, whose salary comes as a result of the fan's money, flashes back to fucking grade school to take out his frustrations.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said Cordero wasn't right to do wthat he did.

I suppose my point is that the fan should be shouldering a lot of blame here, too. Cordero was very wrong to toss a chair into the stands, but the fan was wrong for starting shit and continuing on and on until it boiled over.

The whole thing is very ugly, but it isn't going to smear the game any more than squabbles over the collective bargaining agreement do.

sfajack your getting your relievers mixed up. Frankie Francisco was the one who the threw the chair not Francisco Cordero.

You know, we get down on athletes a lot for making the obscene amounts of money that they do, but it's times like this, when a fucking moron is screaming like that, where I don't want to be a professional player. It's not in their job descriptions to deal with the ignorant. Their job is to play baseball.

I'm not defending the heckler and I hate drunken idiots at games but this has been going on for YEARS in every sport. It's part of the game and players do have to put up with it. It should be noted also it was Doug Brocail who lost it at first and was the one who went at the fan. If he had just blown the guy off, like 99.9% of professional of athletes do when they are confronted with heckling, none of this would have happened.

What was also amazing last night that the national media hadn't picked up on is the Rangers tried to demand the A's forfeit the game. Fofeit for what?

What was also amazing last night that the national media hadn't picked up on is the Rangers tried to demand the A's forfeit the game. Fofeit for what?

I'm assuming the Rangers thought the A's fans made it unsafe to out onto the field. I've seen umpires threaten forfeits where fans are throwing stuff onto the field and endangering the players.

But you're right, this is just silly.

I agreed with everything you said except for this.

Is that what it ultimately comes down to? A player has to ask that someone be ejected for heckling?

They were just talking about this on the Dan Patrick show, and Kruk actually made a really good point. If a player goes to his manager, his teammates or to the umpire himself, are his teammates still going to respect him? Unlikely, since he's supposed to be focused at all times on the field and not even hear the fans. So what's a manager going to say? "Deal with it. "

I'm not insisting that players be able to pick and choose between what fans they want at the stadium as if they were going through jury selection. All I'm saying is that if the heckling really did get to such a ridiculous level that Francisco felt he had no choice but to do something about it (which is fairly laughable in itself), then instead of blowing his top and throwing furniture, he should have simply asked security to do their job and kick the fan's ass to the curb.

Guest Anglesault
Not for this season, not for next season. He's BANNED, if Selig is in touch with reality at all.

if Selig is in touch with reality at all.

Not for this season, not for next season.  He's BANNED, if Selig is in touch with reality at all.

yeah, spin dat shit

*wik wikka*

*wik wik*

*also wik*

...*ahem* Sorry.

Guest Anglesault
Speaking of phenom, how's that Brad Halsey kid holding up?

Who the hell called him a phenom?

Besides, he's young and all that. If Javy can get by with "Well he's YOUNG!" so can Halsey.

To correct everyone, Brocail was the one being heckled. Francisco came in and threw a chair out of the scrum of players into the stands. No one could've stopped him, realistically.

The security WAS there, but there are 20 Ranger players trying to either restrain their teammates, or attempting to attack the fan, so I don't know if I'd put the blame on security.

If there is any blame to assign, it'd be on the fan who made the comments, since it is obvious what he said crossed a line with Brocail, and Francisco who committed the act in question.

On an addendum, Frank Francisco was arrested today.